Monday, October 3, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...



MONDAY:  Roasted Chicken with Mashed Potatoes
  • From the freezer: Seasoned chicken
  • From the pantry: potatoes
  • From the fridge: butter, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: peel the potatoes, soak the black eyed peas overnight, defrost sausages for tomorrow
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Black-Eyed Pea Soup and Cheddar Wheat Rolls
  • From the freezer: hot link
  • From the pantry: black eyed peas, whole wheat, sage, shortening, brown sugar, bread flour, powdered mustard
  • From the fridge: Better Than Bouillon, carrots, celery, yeast, shredded Cheddar, egg
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Crockpot Recipe**, defrost chicken for tomorrow
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Crockpot Chicken Marsala and leftover rolls
  • From the freezer: chicken breasts
  • From the pantry:  rice, vegetable oil, 2 cans mushrooms, Marsala wine, cornstarch
  • From the fridge: minced garlic
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Crockpot Recipe**, need to cook rice in microwave
  • Need to buy: nothing


THURSDAY: Honey Pecan Crusted Pork Chops and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
  • From the freezer: pork loin chops
  • From the pantry: sweet potatoes, honey
  • From the fridge: pecans, butter, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: peel potatoes
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Smoked Turkey Sausage and Pasta, Salad
  • From the freezer: smoked turkey links
  • From the pantry: pasta, croutons
  • From the fridge:  butter, parmesan, spinach or lettuce, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, cucumber, dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY:  Chicken Burgers and Baked Beans
  • From the freezer: ground chicken
  • From the pantry: hamburger buns, can of baked beans
  • From the fridge: condiments, homemade pickles
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY:  Ham and Spinach Frittata, Salad
  • From the freezer: diced ham
  • From the pantry: nothing
  • From the fridge: eggs, butter, spinach, cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: mild cheddar cheese, spinach

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

7 comments:

  1. That honey pecan crusted pork chops sound good! Actually, your whole menu sounds delicious! I love reading what other people are cooking and eating!

    I bought roast beef cold cuts again and bread, today, so I foresee roast beef sandwiches in my future. Still have 2 chicken breasts, 2 battered fish fillets, ground beef and pork chops in the freezer - meals will be based around those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love roast beef sandwiches! On fresh bread, there's nothing better! Have a thought for me as you enjoy yours! It's good that you know what you have, even if you haven't planned specific meals, you have an idea of what you could cook this week.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had more time to cook, because I actually enjoy cooking - when I have the time for it. But I leave the house shortly after 7:00 a.m. and usually come home 11 or 12 hours later. Sigh.

    But today, Friday, I was off (office was closed in anticipation of bad weather) and I made a big pot of red lentil and sweet potato curry. It was for lunch today and will provide us dinner and/or lunch several more times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have very long days! Is that because you visit the gym right after work?! Your curry sounds delish.

      Delete
    2. Well, those long days are not as awful as they sound. I love my job, something I'm very grateful for (the two previous jobs were not so lovable, lol). But about 8 hours for work, 1 hour for lunch, about 1 hour to commute (30 minutes or so each way), and about 1 hour at the gym or at the lake, and you've got 11 - 12 hours away from home. Add in the occasional stop at a store, and I consider myself lucky that my husband is not a picky eater and is OK with quick and easy meals. Of course I don't go to the gym every day, but on those days when I don't, I rush home to do laundry/pick up/minimal housekeeping.

      Reading this it might sound like I'm complaining...I'm not. I'm just busy, but it's a good busy. Just like everyone else, I have to make choices with my time. And if exercise came in pill form that you could take like a vitamin, well then... I'd be game. :-)

      Delete
    3. A chocolate flavored pill :). I didn't realize that you lived so far from work. On what side of Lakeland do you live?

      Delete
    4. Yes, absolutely, a chocolate flavored pill! I'm only about 10 miles from work, on the south side of Lakeland, but it's all in-town driving so it's slow. But I even enjoy my commute - past Lake Hollingsworth, past Lake Morton with all the swans. I'm really lucky. My commute from two jobs ago took me all the way to the north side of Lakeland, through a very questionable part of town. One morning I even saw a bunch of policemen approach a bank with guns drawn. Gosh, I hated that job and commute.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!