Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
I spent way more than had planned, because I decided to stock up on baking supplies, pork loin, and then added more snacks to my cart when I shouldn't have. I could have definitely spent less.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $104.18
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $104.18
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET
Money left in budget for the month $295.82 ($400 = 4 weeks @ $100)
Baking Supplies: $11.92 OOP
- I will use the raspberry spread for Linzer tarts at Christmas so I'm counting it as a baking supply.
- I don't think the chocolate chips and brown sugar prices will go any lower so I stocked up. This should last me for several months.
- 1 jar raspberry spread (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
- 4 lbs brown sugar (Aldi),on sale at $0.99/2 lbs = $1.98
- 6 bags mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (Aldi), on sale at $1.49 each = $8.94
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- Sigh, Greg is still in the throes of his Diet Dr. Pepper addiction.
- 3 packs Diet Dr. Pepper (CVS), on sale at 3 for $10.00 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards.
Breads/Baked Goods: $1.60 OOP
- 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.60
- 2 boxes Count Chocula cereal (Walgreens), on 50% clearance @ $1.50 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 printable coupons = $1.50 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so $1.25
- 1 box Crispy Rice cereal (Aldi) @ $1.39
Dairy: $11.17 OOP
- I was hoping that the butter would be on sale for $1.99 for the holidays but when I saw that the price had been reduced to $2.69 at Aldi, I was wondering if maybe $2.69 would be the cheapest we would see it. I bought 1 lb (since I defrosted 1 lb of butter yesterday) and will keep on monitoring the sales. I want to stock up at $1.99.
- I plan on making raclette next week so I bought smoked Gouda for it.
- 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER
- 1 can whipped cream (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.50
- 4 cups yogurt (Aldi), @ $0.39 each = $1.56
- 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.69
- 1 lb unsalted butter (Aldi), on sale $2.69
- 1 wedge smoked gouda (Aldi) @ $2.99
- 1 lb margarine (not pictured, Save A Lot)
- I only bought the soup because there was a $0.10 rebate on MobiSave and $0.39 for dinner for 2 kids is a great price :)
- I needed the salad dressing for a recipe that I haven't made in a long time even though we love it. I kept thinking that I'd just make my own but everytime I want to make the recipe, I never feel like making the dressing, weirdly enough, so I finally broke down and bought a bottle.
- 2 24-oz jars salsa (Aldi) @ $1.89 each = $3.78
- 1 can tomato condensed soup (Aldi) @ $0.49 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $0.39
- 1 bottle salad dressing (Aldi) @$1.29
- 6 cans black beans (not pictured, Aldi), @ $0.59 each = $3.54
- 10 lbs Russet potatoes (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69
- 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 2.53 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $2.00
- 3 lbs Gala apples (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.00 and received $0.10 back from Ibotta = $1.90
- 1 lb asparagus (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99
- 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51
- 3 lbs yellow onion (not pictured Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99
- 2.15 lbs bananas (not pictured Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.29/lb = $0.62
- 3.91 lbs grapes (not pictured, Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = 3.87
- The pizza was past its sell-by date by several days so I asked if I could get it for 50% off and the manager agreed. Woohoo!
- Save A Lot had the pork loin on sale for $1.79/lb but when I got there, this was the only package and it was still priced at $2.49/lb. So I asked the cashier to get the butcher to reprice it and he did. I was happy about it until I got to Aldi and realized that their everyday price is $1.79/lb, LOL! And their packages are smaller so I didn't need to buy almost 8 lbs of it. I'm going to cut it into 4 roasts of 2 lbs each.
- Aldi no longer sells the chicken chipotle sausages that we love, but I found the turkey jalapeño sausages! They're cheaper AND there are 5 of them per package instead of just 4, so that's even a better deal. I bought 2 packages because... why not? I wasn't sure if it was another seasonal item (I forgot to check).
- 1 large pepperoni pizza (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance = $2.50
- 1 dozen large eggs (CVS), on sale for $0.99 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER
- 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
- 2 boxes frozen breakfast sausages (Aldi) @ $1.09 each = $2.18
- 2 packages turkey jalapeño sausages (Aldi) @ $2.49 each = $4.98
- 7.76 lbs pork loin (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.79/lb = $13.89
Snacks: $25.18 OOP
- I went overboard with the snacks, LOL! The Poptarts were on clearance so I got them for the kids, who will eat them as snacks. They love Poptarts and I pretty much never buy them. The Halloween chocolate pretzels were for my daughter, the ice cream for Greg and the fruit snacks for my son.
- The chocolate bars? Well... those are for me :) I was going to get just one bar but I couldn't pick which one!
- 1 box mini moon pies (not pictured, Save A Lot) @ $1.00 each
- 1 box fruit snacks (Aldi) @ $3.99
- 2 12-ct boxes Poptarts (Aldi), on 50% clearance @ $1.25 each = $2.50
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi) @ $1.19 and got $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.09
- 1 jar hazelnut spread (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 1 pint ice cream (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 1 box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 1 bag Halloween chocolate-covered pretzels (Aldi), on clearance @ $1.39
- 2 bars Schogetten chocolate (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98
- 3 bars Moser Roth chocolate (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $5.97
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)