Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

I spent way more than  had planned, because I decided to stock up on baking supplies, pork loin, and then added more snacks to my cart when I shouldn't have.  I could have definitely spent less.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $104.18
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $104.18
Money left in budget: OVER BUDGET

Money left in budget for the month $295.82 ($400 = 4 weeks @ $100)

Baking Supplies: $11.92 OOP

  1. I will use the raspberry spread for Linzer tarts at Christmas so I'm counting it as a baking supply.
  2. I don't think the chocolate chips and brown sugar prices will go any lower so I stocked up.  This should last me for several months.
  • 1 jar raspberry spread (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 4 lbs brown sugar (Aldi),on sale at $0.99/2 lbs = $1.98
  • 6 bags mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (Aldi), on sale at $1.49 each = $8.94

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  1. Sigh, Greg is still in the throes of his Diet Dr. Pepper addiction. 
  • 3 packs Diet Dr. Pepper (CVS), on sale at 3 for $10.00 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards.

Breads/Baked Goods: $1.60 OOP
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.60

 Cereals: $2.64 OOP
  • 2 boxes Count Chocula cereal (Walgreens), on 50% clearance @ $1.50 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 printable coupons = $1.50 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so $1.25
  • 1 box Crispy Rice cereal (Aldi) @ $1.39

Dairy: $11.17 OOP
  1. I was hoping that the butter would be on sale for $1.99 for the holidays but when I saw that the price had been reduced to $2.69 at Aldi, I was wondering if maybe $2.69 would be the cheapest we would see it. I bought 1 lb (since I defrosted 1 lb of butter yesterday) and will keep on monitoring the sales.  I want to stock up at $1.99.
  2. I plan on making raclette next week so I bought smoked Gouda for it.
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER
  • 1 can whipped cream (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.50
  • 4 cups yogurt (Aldi), @ $0.39 each = $1.56
  • 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 1 lb unsalted butter (Aldi), on sale $2.69
  • 1 wedge smoked gouda (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 lb margarine (not pictured, Save A Lot)
Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $5.46 OOP 
  1. I only bought the soup because there was a $0.10 rebate on MobiSave and $0.39 for dinner for 2 kids is a great price :)
  2. I needed the salad dressing for a recipe that I haven't made in a long time even though we love it.  I kept thinking that I'd just make my own but everytime I want to make the recipe, I never feel like making the dressing, weirdly enough, so I finally broke down and bought a bottle.
  • 2 24-oz jars salsa (Aldi) @ $1.89 each = $3.78
  • 1 can tomato condensed soup (Aldi) @ $0.49 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $0.39
  • 1 bottle salad dressing (Aldi) @$1.29
Produce/Juice: $19.42

  • 6 cans black beans (not pictured, Aldi), @ $0.59 each = $3.54
  • 10 lbs Russet potatoes (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 2.53 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $2.00
  • 3 lbs Gala apples (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.00 and received $0.10 back from Ibotta = $1.90
  • 1 lb asparagus (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69
  • 1 lb Brussels sprouts (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51
  • 3 lbs yellow onion (not pictured Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99
  • 2.15 lbs bananas (not pictured Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.29/lb = $0.62
  • 3.91 lbs grapes (not pictured, Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = 3.87

Proteins: $26.79 OOP
  1. The pizza was past its sell-by date by several days so I asked if I could get it for 50% off and the manager agreed. Woohoo!
  2. Save A Lot had the pork loin on sale for $1.79/lb but when I got there, this was the only package and it was still priced at $2.49/lb. So I asked the cashier to get the butcher to reprice it and he did.  I was happy about it until I got to Aldi and realized that their everyday price is $1.79/lb, LOL!  And their packages are smaller so I didn't need to buy almost 8 lbs of it. I'm going to cut it into 4 roasts of 2 lbs each.
  3. Aldi no longer sells the chicken chipotle sausages that we love, but I found the turkey jalapeño sausages!  They're cheaper AND there are 5 of them per package instead of just 4, so that's even a better deal. I bought 2 packages because... why not?  I wasn't sure if it was another seasonal item (I forgot to check).
  • 1 large pepperoni pizza (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance = $2.50
  • 1 dozen large eggs (CVS), on sale for $0.99 but FREE by paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER
  • 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 2 boxes frozen breakfast sausages (Aldi) @ $1.09 each = $2.18
  • 2 packages turkey jalapeño sausages (Aldi) @ $2.49 each = $4.98
  • 7.76 lbs pork loin (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.79/lb = $13.89

Snacks: $25.18 OOP
  1. I went overboard with the snacks, LOL!  The Poptarts were on clearance so I got them for the kids, who will eat them as snacks.  They love Poptarts and I pretty much never buy them.  The Halloween chocolate pretzels were for my daughter, the ice cream for Greg and the fruit snacks for my son.
  2. The chocolate bars?  Well... those are for me :) I was going to get just one bar but I couldn't pick which one!
  • 1 box mini moon pies (not pictured, Save A Lot) @ $1.00 each
  • 1 box fruit snacks (Aldi) @ $3.99
  • 2 12-ct boxes Poptarts (Aldi), on 50% clearance @ $1.25 each = $2.50
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi) @ $1.19 and got $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.09
  • 1 jar hazelnut spread (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 pint ice cream (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 bag Halloween chocolate-covered pretzels (Aldi), on clearance @ $1.39
  • 2 bars Schogetten chocolate  (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98
  • 3 bars Moser Roth chocolate (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $5.97

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

12 comments:

  1. Aldis has very good chocolate bars. I understand how you couldn't pick just one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got so much for your money and so much to store, so I don't think I would ever consider myself over budget. It is just smart shopping. I am waiting for Aldi butter sales also. I buy 25 lbs and it lasts me throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can ever organize myself to have enough room in the freezer for stocking up on that much butter, I'd love to do that too!

      Delete
  3. Today was my shopping day and I feel wiped out! lol. I spent more than I wanted to but I am happy with what I got. I smile reading your posts cause we get a lot of the same things as each other at times. I got 2 of the pork shoulder/butt roasts at Aldi today for $1.49/lb. They were huge pieces so I cut one up into 3 roasts and the other into 4 roasts. Each of those pieces will be made for dinner with plenty of leftovers. I also got the brown sugar and choc chips, as well as a couple packages of peanut butter chips (was so glad they had them!) My mind ran the same track as yours regarding the butter. I just ended up getting 2 lbs. of it cause I'm doing a lot of baking lately, but I am also hoping to see a better deal so I can stock up before the holidays. I also got a bag of discounted Halloween candy at Walmart to use in baking. I didn't get much produce cause I didn't see any knock-my-socks-off deals this week except for baby carrots and potatoes.
    You got a lot of stuff and good deals! The sausages look good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I hope the butter comes down too. I think I might have another lb buried in the freezer, which is why I only got 1 lb today. Another thing that annoys me is that when they lower the prices temporarily, you never know when the sale will end. It would really help to know that so we could stock up before the prices go up again, grrr.

      Good luck with all your baking! I need to be baking more cookies. I tend to do a lot of bread but then I eat it. I don't seem to be eating cookies so much, for some reason. Same with cupcakes.

      Delete
  4. Those tortilla chips, the Rounds from Aldi are the best! They're better than anything Tostitos makes. And the price is crazy cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got great deals! I haven't seen brown sugar at that price anywhere here in the last couple of years! $.99/lb. is the best price (at the dollar stores). Butter is on sale for $2.49/lb., but one has to buy 10 participating items to get it at that price. I suppose I could get 5 lbs. butter and 5 frozen meals (on sale for $1.78@) for my 10 items, but where would I store them? My freezer is full! I haven't gone grocery shopping yet, this week. I do need to buy some fresh vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you're having as much success clearing things out of your freezer as I have, hahaha. I had actually made some progress and was hoping to be able to fit a turkey in there, but now I'm going to have to fit those almost 8 lbs of pork loin!

      Delete
  6. I haven't had raclette in ages...decades! It was a long, long, looooong time ago in Germany at a school friend's house.

    I often buy the smoked Gouda and broil it on onion bagels to eat with soup and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids had it once in France last year and I bought a set (at Aldi!) when we got back and we've had it once. They really liked it! It's hard to find raclette cheese here and when they have it, it's rather expensive, so I had used Smoked Gouda and the kids love it. Greg found this wedge and asked if he could eat some so now I have to buy some more this week so we can indeed have our raclette night before he gets back!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!