Monday, November 7, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

Greg is gone most of the week so I need to remember I'm only feeding 3 people!

MONDAY:  Balsamic Pork Scaloppini, Zucchini Cakes, Steamed Asparagus
Hopefully the pork chops that I defrosted last week are still good!
  • From the freezer: pork chops
  • From the pantry: vegetable oil,  balsamic vinegar, diced pimentos
  • From the fridge: zucchini, shredded cheese eggs, homemade bread crumbs, asparagus
  • Need to harvest: nothing 
  • Need to make in advance: shred zucchini
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Thyme and Raisins** and Grilled Chicken Chipotle Sausages
** This is a recipe from the Crockpot cookbook, I couldn't find it online.
  • From the freezer: chicken chipotle sausages
  • From the pantry:  raisins
  • From the fridge: Better than Bouillon, bacon, Brussels Sprouts
  • Need to harvest: thyme
  • Need to make in advance:  **Brussels Sprouts crockpot recipe**
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Raclette
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: red potatoes
  • From the fridge: Black Forest ham,  pickles
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: boil or steam red potatoes
  • Need to buy: saucisson or whatever charcuterie I can find at Aldi, smoked gouda

THURSDAY: Blueberry Pancakes with Turkey Breakfast Sausages and Scrambled Eggs
  • From the freezer: turkey breakfast sausages
  • From the pantry: pancake mix, light syrup, can of blueberries
  • From the fridge: milk, eggs
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Tuna patties, white rice, salad
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: tuna cans, vegetable oil, white rice
  • From the fridge: homemade bread crumbs, shredded cheese, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, salad dressing, hard-boiled egg
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **prep bread dough for tomorrow's rolls**
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY:  Best Crockpot Beef Stew and homemade rolls
  • From the freezer: whatever beef cuts I find at the bottom of my freezer, celery
  • From the pantry: can of peas, can of tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, parsley and oregano, flour
  • From the fridge: onion, minced garlic, Better Than Bouillon Beef, carrots, corn saved from last week
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  **crockpot recipe**, bake bread rolls
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY:  Cheeseburgers & French Fries, Spinach Mandarin Salad
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry:  can of mandarins, red wine vinegar, croutons, salt, sugar
  • From the fridge: hamburger buns, cheese slices, condiments, spinach, butter, egg, sliced almonds
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: Salad dressing, cook bacon, toast almonds, potatoes should have been made and frozen in advance
  • Need to buy: frozen fries

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

5 comments:

  1. You're wrong- you are not feeding 3. You are feeding 4 this week cause I'm on my way over to park myself at your dinner table! Haha. Your menu sounds really yummy! How do you make zucchini cakes, if you don't mind me asking? We like zucchini and that sounds good! :)
    By the way, I was thinking of you cause I recently picked up a Parisian cookbook at a thrift store. I have yet to really take my time and read through it but the dishes that I glanced at sounded amazing. It is called "Parisian Home Cooking: Conversations, Recipes and Tips from the Cooks and Food Merchants of Paris", by Michael Roberts. I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds quite wonderful. But a lot of work! I like to cook, but don't like to cook every day. I usually make enough of something to serve again for another meal during the week. Which reminds me, I have some cooked pork chops in the freezer - I should take one out for this week. Do you ever double a recipe to freeze half to serve another time? Then, on one of those days when you don't feel like cooking, all you have to do is pull the frozen meal and serve with a side of salad and rice, or bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie,

    I replied to the post last week about the balasamic pork...but it seems to have disappeared...we did try the recipe and my familiy love it do much there were no leftovers. I thought it was good but a bit lacking in flavor despite adding quite a bit of garlic powder (we love garic) to the flour dredge for the chops. It difinitely has potential though so I will add it to a plan in the future but make some modifications. Do you make any modifications to the recipe?

    I also noticed breakfast on your menu this week! Yum!

    I spent part of this week preparing freezer meals for my Uncle (my Aunt passed way lst Sunday...we are Italian so when something happens we cook....and cook and cook and cook). I mde Meatballs/ Sausage/ Pasta Gravy (tomato sauce but we call it gravy when it is made with meat in it), mini Lasagna's, Pot Roast with Veggies, Beef Barley Soup, Beef/ Sausage/ Bean/ Veggie Chili, Blueberry Muffins, Pumpkin Muffins, and Bacon(or Sausage) Egg and Cheese burrito's. I packaged two family sized portions out for my freezer and then many many individual portions of each for my Uncle. Thankfully I had everything on hand already AND as able to completely clean out my freezer and partially clean out the pantry. I plan on making individual size Chicken Pot Pies with the remaining 3 pounds of chicken thighs that were in the freezer.

    It is funny that by blessing my Uncle, my family also reaped the benefit of a clean freezer (hooray!!) and many future meals too.

    Saryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you today - we were in Trader Joe's in Tampa today and I saw they had raclette cheese.

    What did I have cooking in my kitchen this week? Absolutely nothing! We ate curried vegetables that I had made in the crockpot on Sunday pretty much all week, except one night we had pizza and another night I had food at the food truck rally and my husband got something from Burger King.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!