Ah, good old Domestic Monday. The problem is... I don't feel like being a domestic goddess today!
The day started by being hectic because the school bus didn't come (was over 20 minutes late by the time we left the house) so I scrambled to get my son to school... because, of course, today I didn't panic and get dressed "just in case". Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
I came home, cooked Greg's breakfast (luckily I had gotten up at 6:30 a.m.and gotten everything ready so it was just a matter of turning on the stove to cook his eggs and turn the toaster on) and then got on the phone to make a very irritated call to the bus route manager.
Since I got nowhere, I emailed the School Board member in charge of my district. It's ridiculous that in the year 2016, there isn't a system in place to send a text alert to students and parents letting them know that the bus is running late. They're apparently putting a system in place but the messages will only go out if it's an emergency (accident) and the buses are running at least 30 minutes behind. Well, that's unacceptable. Grrr.
My daughter is done with her first semester of college classes and is off until Saturday. We should do stuff together. We have talked about watching "Amélie", go to Leu Botanical Gardens, baking Christmas cookies... On Friday she's taking Greg and myself to Walt Disney World with her employee tickets, yay! My foot will hurt after 90 minutes so we're planning on renting a wheelchair for us. Pathetic, but we don't want to just spend 2 hours there, you know? Oh, and my son isn't coming because he claims to hate Disney and have no interest. So since Greg is taking the day off to make up for Veteran's Day (he was supposed to have it off but he was on a business trip that day), we asked her to go on that day. I'm excited to see the parks all decorated for Christmas.
It was gray and gloomy earlier when I wrote my Day Book, but at 9:30 a.m. the sun is out and the clouds seem to be parting as I see some blue sky. I want to open the windows but I still have a kitten who's asleep on my chest. She's 4 lbs now, so it's not as comfy as when she only weighted a few ounces, lol. But she doesn't seem to mind.
On to my...
- Reply to my mom's email
- Make butternut squash soup
- Write Xmas cards
- Mail Xmas cards
- Sweep/mop kitchen
- Dust the Cat Room
- Sweep or vacuum the Cat Room
- Clean the windows in the Cat Room
Do the laundry
- Fold the laundry
- Put away the laundry
- Clean the downstairs bathroom toilet bowl
- Wrap some presents
- Unload and reload dishwasher
- Refill pineapple jars and water indoor seedlings
- Make Dr appointment for son's annual check-up
- Make dermatologist appointment for my son
- Take batteries out of fans and store them until next hurricane season
- Make appointment for son to take permit test
- Replace solar rechargeable batteries in lights in front planter
- Take out battery of the 3rd solar light on berm to see if it'll "fix" it
- Vacuum fridge coils
- Declutter the printer stand
Defrost the chest freezer
- Bake cookies for library staff (some time this week)
- Go through receipt bucket and archive what needs to be archived, file what needs to be filed
- Take RaceTrac surveys
- Post November grocery totals
- Make chocolate-covered pretzel sticks
- Bake Christmas cookies for us
Discuss this week's plans with daughter
- Work on shopping list
- Make menu for the week
- Sort coupons in the organizer
- My son packed a lunch to take to school
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work
- Swagbucks confirmed that I'll get SB for my Kohl's purchase. In turn, Kohl's emailed that my package had been shipped so I should definitely get it by Christmas. Yay!
- I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits.
- I'm running nGage and JunGroup videos to earn a few more Swagbucks. My 1st daily goal went up to 40 SB. I know the Team Challenge starts at noon, but I won't be able to redeem the Swag-up anyway since I have my birthday Swag-up to redeem first so I'm not bothering with the Team Challenge. I'm at 2,055 SB as I start today.
- I went to get more coffee, thought about defrosting some meat and ended up defrosting the entire chest freezer. Oof, I'm pooped now! I was able to reorganize a little and I defrosted a bunch of things to use this week. I found a spiral ham that I had bought on clearance either last year or earlier this year so I put it in the fridge to defrost it for Christmas. One fewer thing I have to buy!
- My daughter got up and since it was about 11 a.m., I offered to make her pancakes. So I made us a brunch of chocolate chip pancakes but using up the rest of and breakfast sausages from the freezer. We discussed the coming week and made plans together.
- Then I did a super load of laundry on cold/cold.
- My daughter and I decided to watch "Amélie" right away. But first, I loaded our brunch dishes into the dishwasher and started it. "Amélie" is on Netflix (and we also own it on DVD) so it was free to us.
- After that I was in the mood to watch another French movie so I watched one that I own on DVD "Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis".
- I entered 74 points worth of Coke product codes on MyCokeRewards and had enough points to redeem for another $10 Amazon gift card, woohoo!
- I turned around and used it, in conjunction with all my Discover Rewards (that just came through today) to order the complete series on DVD of two of my favorite shows: "3rd Rock from the Sun" and "That 70's Show". This way, if we cancel Netflix, I can still watch them. The total cost was $7.44 and I charged it to my Discover card so I'll get 5% back on that in Discover Rewards.
- It took me all day to reach my 1st Daily Goal in Swagbucks because I was distracted, so I'm not even going to try reaching the 2nd goal which is a ridiculous 112 SB!
- I checked the rebate apps to see if any of my Publix shopping from yesterday qualified. I had to unlock the bananas and bread offers but the app asked me to verify that my receipt was dated between 12/05 and 12/12 so I'm hoping that I will get the $0.50. We'll see. Update: it went through and I got the money, hooray!
- For dinner, I decided to warm up the containers of Spicy Chicken Stew and Butternut Squash Soup that I had defrosted. Easy!
- I also baked a pan of Grandmother's Buttermilk Corn Bread to go with it. Instead of buttermilk, I made 1 cup of ~2% milk by mixing 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1/2 cup of water with 1 tbsp of white vinegar.
- I checked the mail and found a box of free samples of feminine pads from Uby Kotex, that also included a $1 coupon and 4 pages of coloring pages of "adult ladies" (which was weird...).
- I also got the latest mortgage statement and we're down to owing about $42K on our mortgage, woohoo!
- Gas to drive my school to school
- I dried the laundry in the dryer since we were in the middle of watching a movie.
- A couple of TV shows on DVD for me and also a French movie (see "Failures" for that last one).
- AC. I got hot at the end of the day and I had to run the oven to bake the corn bread so I closed the windows and turned the AC back on. We'll be comfier tonight that way.
- I threw away a bun that was very freezer burnt.
- I spent $5.99 to purchase a French comedy on Amazon Video that came out years ago and is very highly rated. My brothers had been urging me to watch it for years but I never did. So I decided to purchase it ($5.99) instead of renting it ($3.99), thinking it would be a better deal because I'd probably watch it at least another time. Well, it was horrible. I didn't laugh even once. It has only one negative review on Amazon but tons of 5 star reviews and I don't get it.(The Dinner Game / Le Dîner de Cons). Dang it, I should have just rented it.
- I noticed a big puddle of slightly viscous liquid that smells of chemicals where Greg parks his truck, this morning, so I left him a voicemail about it but when I talked to him tonight on his way home, he hadn't heard it. Since he's had a engine light on for a long time (the garage can't find anything wrong with his truck), he didn't know about the leak. I think it might be brake or transmission fluid so I'm worried.
- Fed the kittens
- Drove my son to school
- Cooked Greg's breakfast
- Packed his lunch
- Called the Bus Route Manager
- Emailed the School Board Member for my district
- Ran Windows Defender on new laptop
- Wrote Day Book post
- Make new header for Domestic Monday
- Ran the dehumidifier in the downstairs bathroom
- Defrosted and rearranged the freezer
- Cooked brunch for my daughter
- Made plans for the week
- Loaded the dishwasher and started it
- Washed pots and pans by hand
- Did a load of laundry
- Watched a movie with my daughter
- Watched a couple more movies by myself
- Entered MCR codes
- Placed order for TV shows that I wanted
- Submitted rebates
- Baked corn bread
- I never get tired of kitten cuddles :)
- For time spent with my daughter today
- For being consumer debt-free and able to pay down our mortgage
- For freebies in the mail