Tuesday, December 20, 2016

💭 💭Gloomy💭💭 & Domestic Tuesday ~ 12/20/16


This might be a very boring post: it's gloomy and I didn't sleep well. Incidentally, moving back to my bed is only worth it if I keep the bedroom door closed so the kittens can't come in... twin bed, overweight woman and 3 large kittens: no good.

So all of this is conspiring to not inspiring me to want to do anything very domestic, or, let's be honest, anything at all.  I shall post a To Do List in an attempt to guilt myself into doing something but right now all I want to do is go back to sleep.

  • Make butternut squash soup and freeze (make sure I have proper containers) 
  • Address my sister's Xmas card and mail it
  • Return materials to the library
  • Dust the Cat Room
  • Sweep or vacuum the Cat Room
  • Clean the windows in the Cat Room
  • Fold the laundry
  • Put away the laundry
  • Clean the downstairs bathroom toilet bowl
  • Wrap the stocking contents?
  • Unload and reload dishwasher
  • Make Dr appointment for son's annual check-up and for daughter
  • Make dermatologist appointment for my son
  • Take batteries out of fans and store them until next hurricane season
  • Make appointment for son to take permit test
  • Vacuum fridge coils
  • Declutter the printer stand
  • Go through receipt bucket and archive what needs to be archived, file what needs to be filed
  • Take RaceTrac surveys
  • Recalculate our 401(k) contributions for 2017
  • Work on Net Worth document
  • Wash litter boxes
  • Check my passport's expiration date
  • Input receipts (paper and email) in my spreadsheets
  • Move my music library to the new laptop
  • Install software programs on new laptop
  • Sync my phone with the new laptop
  • Wipe old laptop of all confidential info
  • Take old laptop to be fixed
  • Work on shopping list
  • Print emailed coupons and sort them in organizer
Well, I didn't cross out much from my list but I did a bunch of other stuff that needed to be done and that wasn't on my list so I think today definitely qualifies as Domestic Tuesday.


  • The school bus showed up early enough to get my son to school before the start of the exams. No lunch period today due to early release so he will eat at home.

  • Greg's on vacation and my daughter is off work and school, and we have no plans to go anywhere today so gas expense should be kept to a minimum and we should incur no toll expenses whatsoever.

  • Hopefully Greg can finalize his data and notification transfers from his old personal iPhone 5S to his new business iPhone 7 today so I can cancel his line on our personal account... $20+ saved a month. Update: I guess he's not done telling everyone about his phone number change so I can't cancel the line just yet.

  • It supposed to be relatively cool today (72F/22C for the high) so I'm hoping the AC won't come on. We can't open the windows because the humidity level is still very high (96%) so that's a bummer.

  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits and I'm working on Swagbucks to try to reach my 1st daily goal.

  • I thought I might have had to upgrade my genealogy software so I could reinstall it on Windows 10, but I was able to redownload the version that I'm using for free. It's an older version but I don't need the new features of the new version anyway.

  • Well, what do you know?  Posting my To Do List did spur me to get some stuff done!

  • I reused water collected from the dehumidifier to water the indoor seedlings and refill a couple of pineapple jars.

  • I did 2 super loads of laundry in cold/cold. I didn't use any softener or vinegar because I'm not hanging the clothes to dry today.

  • After going outside to clean the litter boxes and deal with the trash can and feeling the cool breeze, I decided to open the windows after all, after turning off the AC.  The cats are super happy and it's airing out the house. I'll close them when it feels too humid.

  • The kittens favorite toys are the 3 empty Amazon boxes that I left on the floor in the living room for them (one of them has some brown packing paper in it) and their tunnel that I had bought them on Amazon.  They are complete kamikaze kittens with those, running as fast as they can across the room and hurling themselves at the various boxes and tunnel. They also love hiding under the boxes' flaps and playing peek-a-boo and chewing on them. Free entertainment, both for them and for us!  However, I put everything away at night so we can get some sleep because they'd play with those all night if we let them and they're loud and knock things over.  I just brought the boxes and tunnel out of hiding and it's a free for all, kind of like Pokemon Melee, in the living room right now!
Sweet, sweet cardboard box!
  • Once the line for picking up my son was pretty long but moved fairly rapidly.  I connected my phone to the bluetooth receiver and listened to a chapter of Jim Gaffigan's ebook while I was waiting and then put on Barry Manilow's Christmas album so my son and I could listen to some nice relaxing Christmas music as we ran errands.

  • I overspent at Publix but I also got a couple of freebies:
    • A box of Totino's Pizza Sticks (I had received a freebie coupon for it from Betty Crocker, I think).  I'll cook them on Saturday night.

    • Two packages of Castello blue cheese because it was on BOGO at $5.49 but I had (2) $3.00/1 coupons. Woohoo!  Greg will be happy because he loves the blue cheese slices on his burgers and sandwiches.

  • We returned the items that were due at the library, thereby avoiding late fees.

  • CVS emailed me a coupon for 20% off one regular-priced item. I'm going there tomorrow so I uploaded it to my CVS app.


  • I unlocked new offers in Ibotta and MobiSave.

  • I also printed the 2 ECB vouchers that I received yesterday due to the snafu with the survey they had emailed me.  I have $12 in ECBs to spend tomorrow, it's exciting!


  • Entered Coke product codes into MCR.

  • I found a tiny baby gecko in my kitchen sink and I released it outside otherwise the cats would have "played" with it.

  • I reached my first daily goal in Swagbucks :)


  • I used up the rest of the sugar cookie dough that my daughter had made last week to bake Christmas sugar cookies. I just topped them with sprinkles.

before getting baked...
  • I used my homemade citrus vinegar and a cleaning cloth to clean the kitchen table instead of paper towels.

  • I made sure to schedule the last 2 credit card payments for this cycle and also the water/sewer/recycling payment, which is also lower this month, for some reason. I must have skipped more showers than I remember?! Ha. Also, I didn't water the garden.

  • I hadn't put away Greg's raise equivalent into savings the last 2 times he received a paycheck, so I did that today.  I also transferred the money that his mom just gave him for Christmas into savings. Out of sight, out of mind.

  • Since I roll over whatever amount is left between the budgeted amount for utilities and the actual spent amount each month, I ended up with over $1,400 in the electric bill budget that we didn't spend and over $300 in the water bill budget.  The $1,400 already covered the cost of the kittens so far this year and the $300 is getting applied to such things as the Office 2016 license that we just had to purchase and other unplanned expenses this month.  I've reset the counters to zero for next year. I didn't decrease the electric budget, it's been the same for 14 years.  I like having the extra cushion in the checking account.

  • My daughter worked on some handmade gifts for various family members and friends, using supplies she already had on hand.  This is one of 4 mini Disney-inspired canvasses that she painted for her oldest brother's girlfriend.  I love it!

  • I earned a couple of "high" reward search awards on Swagbucks today, btw. I didn't reach my 2nd Daily Goal but I'm quite happy with the search awards since I usually tend to only get 4 SB here and there...


  • I'm feeling quite smug as a certain frugal blogger is recommending, in an affiliate post, her $50 electric kettle from Amazon and I have my own electric kettle (not the same brand but same principle and it works great and isn't glass so I won't break it by bumping into something) and it cost me... $5.00 at Goodwill over a year ago and is still going strong for 1/10th of the price :)  Yeah, mine doesn't look as cool but it boils water too and that's all I personally care about in an electric kettle.

  • Continuing with this "function" over "look" train of thought, the ancient, decrepit, pull-out shelf that holds my rectangular Pyrex dishes that I use for leftovers and Greg's lunch broke this morning. The bottom of the shelf came undone. The cabinets are probably about 40 years old and in sad shape.  We could spend a good portion of our emergency fund (or take a loan, the horror!) to remodel the kitchen but I just moved the Pyrex to the bottom of the cabinet and will try to fix the busted shelf and just use it for lightweight reusable plastic containers from now on.  Yeah, I'd love a brand new kitchen but no, I don't want to pay for one.

  • I'm kind of on the ball with dinner tonight, finally!  I put the frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu portions in the oven at 5:45 p.m. so they'll be ready in time for dinner. I'll probably cook some rice in the microwave and if I feel in the mood, I might even make a small side salad.  We'll see.  Well guess what? I was in the mood and I made the salad.  Yes, it's sad that I'm listing this as a success but I have been so down and not in the mood to even put dinner on the table these past few weeks, it actually feels like a victory!

  • I've been listening to classical music on Pandora most of the day.  They've gotten much better with their ads in the 2 or so years that I stopped listening to them.

  • We kept the windows open until about 5:30 p.m. when I asked Greg to close them for me since I was cold but I had a sleeping kitten on me, eh eh.  Yay, another day without AC. I relish those few days of the year when we can open the windows here in Florida.

  • Dole never replied to my complaint about the bulging cups of fruit Mixations but today I received an envelope with a $1.00 off coupon and a coupon for a free product.

  • I have a little bit of rice and salad left over from dinner that I saved in Pyrex containers in the fridge.

  • I set some smoked turkey sausage to defrost for dinner tomorrow in the hope that it will deter me from wanting to order in.  

  • After dinner, Greg and I watched some episodes of "Bob's Burgers" on Netflix.

  • Electricity to run the dryer. I feel run-down and it's humid outside so I'm not hanging the laundry to dry today.

  • Gas to pick up my son from school.

  • Picked up Publix subs for everyone for lunch today, along with some chips and drinks. I might have indulged in a 12-pack of assorted hard cider bottles for myself. 

  • Ordered Amazon gift cards to be mailed to my nephews.


  • Completely forgot to go to RaceTrac on my way home to redeem survey reward codes for free drinks for the kids :(

  • I entered the rest of my Coke product codes into MyCokeRewards because I had seen a heads-up on Slickdeaks (several hours old) saying that we could still redeem 30 points for a coupon for a free 12-pack, but I guess that's over now because it's not in my catalog :(  I had forgotten to enter my codes yesterday.

  • I composted a whole 3-lb bag of navel oranges that I had bought several weeks ago and kept in the fridge, forgotten about and then that shriveled out on the table :(

  • Btw, you know you're in the South when you spot this at Publix.  Ewww.  It looks like barf on the package.  I do like biscuits and gravy once in a while but I don't think in a chip flavor. Meanwhile, Lays still hasn't introduced the Roasted Chicken flavor that we found in France last year and that is sooooo delicious.  What gives?!


  • I didn't do the dishes after dinner or even unload the dishwasher because after two bad nights in a row, I feel very tired. It's a mistake because I'll be tired tomorrow night also since I'm going shopping tomorrow.



  • Fed the kittens
  • Saw my son off to school (as I do every morning)
  • Cuddled with a kitten
  • Earned reward points on my programs
  • Participated in a few sweepstakes
  • Did the laundry
  • Washed 3 litter boxes
  • Put away some laundry
  • Refilled a couple of pineapple jars
  • Watered the indoor seedlings
  • Picked up the food the kitten had spilled!
  • Collected the trash and recycling throughout the house
  • Took the large trash bin and the yard waste bin down to the curb for collection
  • Unloaded the dishwasher
  • Then reloaded it and did the dishes
  • Wrote a Christmas card for our neighbors next door and put the card in their mailbox
  • Addressed the card to my sister and mailed it
  • Picked up my son from school
  • Got a few groceries and lunch
  • Returned items to the library
  • Emptied the countertop composting bin into the large outdoor one
  • Texted with my BFF
  • Baked Christmas cookies
  • Swept and fake-mopped the kitchen
  • Scheduled credit card bill payments
  • Transferred money to savings
  • Balanced the checkbook
  • Provided nap support for a kitten
  • Cooked dinner
  • Took the recycling bins down to the curb for tomorrow morning's early collection
  • Checked the mail
  • Brought the large trash cans back up the driveway
  • Set the table for dinner


  • For a lazy day at home and a sweet hubby who doesn't expect me to do much of anything this week :)
  • And yet, for inspiration and motivation to accomplish some chores
  • For a sweet email from a follower :)  Thanks Laura, I promise I will reply if I haven't already!