Monday, December 12, 2016

Day Book: Monday 12/12/16



Outside my window... it's cloudy and drab.  Our high today should be 81F/27C, which sures beats the winter storms that are supposed to be hitting the Midwest and Northern states today, though.

I am thinking... that I'm annoyed at the school system that doesn't have a system in place to alert us when the buses are running 10 minutes or more late and that my email to the School Board Member in charge of my district will probably result in just appeasement noises but no real change.

I am thankful for... being a SAHM so I could drive my kid to school when the bus didn't show up (again!) this morning

From the learning rooms... my daughter is done with her semester so she'll be home all week, as far as I know. She doesn't work until this weekend.  My youngest son's finals start on Friday and then also next week. Not sure about Middle Son, we haven't discussed it.

From the kitchen... I'm celebrating ONE WEEK of doing the dishes every day!  I've been channeling Susan (*waves at Susan) and unloading the dishwasher in the mornings and reloading it throughout the day and running it at night right after dinner.  It's actually been very easy and so much less less in the mornings as I don't have to fight dirty dishes for a corner of the countertop.  To be fair, though, I also haven't been cooking as much.  Not to say that we have been eating out, but my dinners have been very basic and not requiring a lot of pots and pans. And also I have NOT been baking. I'm just not in the mood at all.  I have no idea what to cook this week.  I need to figure out dinner for tonight!  I'll do that right after I publish this.

I am wearing... well, I had to get dressed in a hurry to drive my son to school so he wouldn't be late, so I grabbed yesterday's clothes: a  pair of denim capris from the thriftstore, an old light gray short-sleeves T-shirt from Target (that I slept in!) and pink and orange striped fuzzy socks that I have been wearing since yesterday because my feet were cold.  What a get-up!

I am creating... nothing right now?  I need to create a menu that's what I need to "create". And also I should bake some Christmas cookies.

I am going... probably nowhere today.  I should do chores.

I am reading... "Strangers in Death" by J.D. Robb, which is actually Nora Roberts. It's been years since I've read anything in that series and I was kind of hoping that it got better but it's still the same "schtick" with the same characters, Roarke still wears a "leather tie" to hold his long hair, the heroin still blows her bangs when she wants to be cute, they still are madly in love, yada, yada, yada.  Big yawn.  I don't know why I expected something different?  It's hard to fathom why I liked her books so much, several years ago. I was obsessed with Nora Roberts, once upon a time.

I am hoping... that I can get my Christmas shopping wrapped up this week, both figuratively and actually. I need to get a gift card next time I go out, and then I need to get everything wrapped or mailed.

I am hearing... a kitten purring on my chest, Frank Sinatra on Pandora.

Around the house... the cats are all asleep and so is my daughter.  Greg left to go to work a little bit ago and I know my son is at school since did I mention that I had to drive him there?

One of my favorite things... spreaders. They make spreading butter, jam, peanut butter or Nutella so much easier. Greg insists on just using a knife and it's so primitive and unproductive!  I have 2 spreaders and I bought myself 2 mini spreaders that will find their way to my stocking this Christmas, ha.



A few plans for the rest of the week... Well today is Domestic Monday so as soon as the kitten who is napping on my chest is done with her nap, I'll get going with that.  I need to go grocery shopping at some point, my daughter is home all week and we've made plans to watch "Amélie" together again, Greg is taking Friday off and my daughter is going to take us to Walt Disney World, woohoo!  We're planning on getting a wheelchair for me as soon as my foot starts hurting so we can actually spend the whole day there.  Greg and I love Epcot so that's where we want to go but Greg also wants to go to the whatever they call it now, we still call it "The Disney-MGM Studios!" since we both worked there at the same time (but didn't know each other back then) and it's been 15 years since we've been there.  We'll probably hate all the changes. I was on the Opening Crew for that park so I KNOW I'll hate all the changes, lol.  I have got to wrap my Christmas presents at some point and bake, bake, bake. Ugh.

Here's the picture I'm sharing...


I saw this at Target last week and took a picture to text to Greg because I'm always asking him for that secret emergency chocolate stash that, as a good husband, he is supposed to be maintaining. But he never does have any hidden chocolate for me!

Have a good week!