I just felt like throwing the eclipse into the title but I don't expect my Domestic Monday to be much different from the others...
SUCCESSES AND FAILURES
- I was upset about last night's Game of Thrones episode, not because of the plot per se but because the writers suck and that show has gone downhill fast. Greg and I were thoroughly disgusted by many things that happened that made no sense whatsoever given the history of the show. So I had a really hard time falling asleep and then Explorer came and went and that didn't help. So I'll probably be exhausted this afternoon.
- I got up extra early too, well at 6 a.m., because I needed to shower and wash my hair. And shave. I looked like the yeti!
- Youngest Son packed a lunch and rode the bus to school. I wonder how many kids are actually attending today since the district said they wouldn't be penalized if they stayed home. Youngest Son wanted to go to school. He'd rather do the work there than have to catch up. However I don't think they're going to do much of anything, but we'll see.
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.
- I organized my dirty dishes so it's a little less overwhelming. I have got to wash them today!
- I heated up the half mug of decaf that was left in the pot from last night and also brewed a pot of regular coffee. Still drinking that Walmart coffee with the sell-by date of 2007 (I think?). It's greasy, though, so I got nauseous since I wasn't eating anything and I fell on the last pretzel bun that I bought this weekend like a hawk on a mouse. I ate 4 pretzel rolls between Saturday and today and no, I'm not proud of myself. I have GOT to get back on my diet!
- I started earning Swagbucks by playing automatic Ncraves and doing a couple of activities. I left my laptop running while I was out to breakfast so I could keep earning.
- I also earned my double mobile Microsoft Rewards credits for the day. I earned the double laptop credits later on this morning.
- I threw a load of laundry in the wash (cold/cold) before I left to go meet my friend for breakfast.
- We met at the breakfast place just 5 minutes down from my house and she was telling me about this 10-day detox she wants to do that's geared toward diabetic and prediabetic patients so I shared my information about the diabetic exchange program with her and we inspired each other to be somewhat healthy at breakfast! I can't remember what she had but I had a veggie omelet made with Egg Beaters and a small cup of fruit, with dry 12-grain toast. I ate 1 slice of toast (shouldn't have since I'd had the pretzel bun at home!) but asked for a box to bring the 2nd slice home, along with a to go cup to bring the rest of my coffee home. However, the waitress brought me a to go cup already pre-filled with fresh coffee. Great and also grrr because I was just trying not to waste the coffee that was left in my mug, lol. I was going to pick up the check for the both of us but my friend insisted on paying since I paid for the both of us the last time we met. Woohoo!
- We made plans to get together again in the future but since she works an hour away, it's going to be challenging. I offered to go walk together on the trail one weekend and was up for that. Woohoo!
- After we separated, I drove to Publix just about a short distance away. I wanted to get a Powerball ticket or two and also do my grocery shopping so I can skip it on Wednesday. But knucklehead me, once again, didn't clip the coupons that I printed last week so I couldn't shop since the coupons I needed were on the coffee table at home. Arrgh. However, I thought the Powerball tickets were $5 each for some reason and they are "only" $2 each. So I spent the $10 I was planning on spending on 5 tickets instead of 2, for this Wednesday's drawing. I checked my regular Florida Lotto ticket but I hadn't won anything.
- Then I drove to Walgreens, right across the street, because I did have the coupons I needed for that shop and my Register Rewards expired today. I bought: a 6-ct box of Foster Farms corn dogs, a can of Chicken of the Sea light tuna, and a mini highlighter and redeemed a Walgreens coupon for the tuna and 2 RR. My OOP was just 30 cents, woohoo! And yes, I charged it to my Amazon Visa because it's 2% back in Rewards (LOL) and also their machine is ultra fast and it would have taken longer to find the 30 cents in change in my wallet and for the cashier to put it away in his register, lol.
- Back home, I straightened out the front porch.
- The 1st load of laundry was ready to be dried and I was really tempted to use the dryer but I felt guilty about my non-frugal ways so I resolved to hang it. However, it was far too humid outside (it rained last night) so I set up the racks in the Cat Room. The kittens were very very curious so I fully expect to find all the clothes on the floor when I walk in the room next. Which should be any minute now as I have to go throw the 2nd load in the dryer (Greg's shirts and bath towels, I dry them on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting).
|The older cats? They couldn't have cared less.|
|I sorted my laundry by categories before hanging it. My inspectors made sure all the cloth napkins|
were kept separate from the socks!
- As I went into the small shed to get the laundry racks, I also checked on the garden and tucked some sweet potato vines back where I don't mind having them. They're overtaking everything! The papaya seedlings that I left in the pot are fine. I didn't take any pictures today.
- My BFF texted me so we chatted about our kids' first day of college classes. Her son is taking Astronomy this year (my daughter took it last year) so it's really cool that he gets to experience the eclipse while also taking that class.
- At 10 a.m. I turned on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" on ION TV. I'm typing this while it's playing and I can update my To Do List as well.
- I went to put the 2nd load of laundry in the dryer but it was still soggy so I ran the spin cycle again. The kittens have been bad... socks are on the floor...
- And also they have reached a new level of awareness as they sniffed the to-go container with bread in it, chewed on it, managed to get it open and had themselves (honestly, I think it's Princess, she looooves baked goods!) a little snack. Arrgh.
- Woohoo! CVS is offering a free 8x10 collage print through 8/22 with promo code SUMMERCOLLAGE. You have to order on their website, not the app, and select in-store pick-up for it to be completely free. I made a collage of kitten photos (of course!) and will pick mine up on Wednesday.
- I sent an email to my 3 friends, Middle Son and Daughter to let them know about it too!
- Kellogg's Family Rewards is offering a Shutterfly freebie. Of course those are never completely free since they charge so much for shipping, but if anyone wants a personalized deck of card, send me an email and I'll send you my code since I won't be using it.
- And yes, a driver plowed into a bus stop in Marseille. No, I didn't even contact my brother there because every time I freak out about an incident near where either of them live, they're telling me not to worry and that they're fine. I think many more of those attacks will be occurring everywhere. It's so easy for those lunatics and pretty much undetectable and unpreventable :( My brother posted about something else (a mountain goat, of all things!) on Instagram later on and didn't mention that attack at all.
- A new season of Endeavor started on PBS last night so I think I'll watch the first episode while folding the laundry, later on. Or maybe while doing the dishes. Actually, there's no time like the present and I just checked that I did have the PBS app on my Kindle Fire so I'm going to go do the dishes and bake some cookies for Youngest Son :)
- I did the dishes while watching the 1st 20 minutes of the show but I couldn't use the close caption feature because there was a huge delay on the Kindle and the main actor tends to mumble so it was hard to comprehend with the water running. And then my Bluetooth speaker ran out of power. So I made my lunch and came back to the living room to watch the rest on the TV and to charge the speaker. I'll bake the cookies later on.
- Lunch was half the defrosted rice and green curry sauce leftovers and the leftover chicken breast meat that I had picked from the bones last week. I had the rest of the toasts from this morning's breakfast (well however much Princess left me!) and I also made myself a fruit salad with blueberries, strawberries and half of the latest homegrown pineapple.
|The rice and chicken was actually kind of dry (not enough sauce) but the fruit salad was delicious!|
- And I drank the coffee from this morning's breakfast :)
- I had to be mean to my kittens (how I hate this!) and yell and push Explorer off the table yet again because they don't listen and today I'm not in the mood for their shenanigans. I'm sure he'll come back to cuddle at some point.
|And Princess kept on thinking that the countertop in the breezeway was her new napping spot and|
I had to tell her to get down on at least 4 different occasions!
- I met my 1st SB goal of 96 SB. I'm hoping to keep the videos running all afternoon so I can reach my 2nd one but I might have to attempt some surveys. Blah.
- It's 2:20 p.m. and it's cloudy outside but the sun is still out. I glanced at it a couple of times for only a portion of a second each time and boy, it did burn my eyes pretty fast so I won't be looking at it at all moving forward, lol. Youngest Son should be getting on the bus right about now and home in about 20-25 minutes.
- I haven't been very good with chores today. I need to get my butt off the couch once "Endeavor" is over (I've paused it several times to read stuff online!) and get stuff done. Also, I always want to love "Endeavor" but generally, I find it to be tedious and boring, lol.
- I hate it when TV shows or movies are shot in the dark. I can't see anything. I usually have to close the curtains but even so, I can barely see anything going on. The fast action scenes are the same, which is why I get bored with the battle scenes in shows like GoT or video games. I can't see what's going on and I count the seconds/minutes until it's over.
- 2:32 p.m. Thunder just rang out. The weather app was predicting 40% chance of rain between noonish and 3 p.m. It's probably going to rain at the apex of the eclipse for us (I'm thinking the apex is an appropriate term for it but maybe not?) and I wonder if that will affect how we experience it? Maybe it'll be too cloudy for it altogether. I checked the weather app again and now they predict 85% rain at 3 p.m. So we're definitely skipping the library.
- Youngest Son came home at about 2:40 p.m. and it was sunny in the front yard but there were black clouds in the distance. At about 2:50 p.m. a thick cover of grey clouds threatened to cover up the sun anyway. We might experience full obscurity yet, lol.
|Very safe for the eyes!|
- 3:02 p.m.: well , not full obscurity but the cloud cover is total and it started pouring exactly at 2:59 p.m. The kittens (well the two boys) were wild at about 2;50 p.m. Tabby Kitten bit me (not hard) when I tried to pet him and Explorer attacked my camera as I was trying to take a picture of him!
|Tabby Kitten bringing me yet ANOTHER sock this morning!|
|Explorer being all wild during our "eclipse"|
|And here he is, whacking my camera with his right paw. Sucker punch!|
- I feel bad for our awesome librarians who went through the trouble of setting up a special event for the eclipse viewing event and now it's pouring and there's nothing to see. Maybe they're relieved, though. I'll have to ask them tomorrow. Middle Son told me he had been able to watch it through his camera lenses' ND filter. Apparently "ND" stands for natural density. I had to look it up.
- And so: free watering for the garden again today. Yay!
- Ibotta confirmed I have a $0.12 credit for an Amazon purchase that I did through their portal but I've been shopping on Amazon so much recently (I have something like 4 or 5 orders coming in just today!) that I can't even remember what it is that I bought?! Still, woohoo for 12 free cents!
- Well, it's 3:26 p.m. and it stopped raining. The eclipse for us ended up being a total non-event and so I'm glad I didn't obsess over it. And didn't waste my money on special glasses, for sure!
- I made crêpes for Youngest Son's snack (and mine... I need to go back on my diet for real, I've been bad these past few days!) after all, instead of baking cookies.
- I tried reading more of the "Nickel and Dimed" book, but I just can't. I seriously dislike the author. I had typed a whole rant about her and the ridiculous things she said, but then I deleted it because... well, life is too short to get all worked up about an author or a book written back in 2001. I'm already all worked up about last night's Game of Thrones episode and what the showrunners are doing to the show! I gotta pick my battles. I guess her focus and style wasn't what I expected and not my cup of tea. I'll be returning it to the library.
- My daughter called me! She actually went outside her apartment to call me and the call quality was so much better, I could understand everything she said very clearly! We chatted about her first day of classes and other stuff. She hasn't watched the GoT episode from last night yet because she was busy skyping with her BFF last night so she's going to watch it now and then we'll probably talk about it. I miss her!
- She was a little stressed and sad about some personal stuff so after we hung up, she said "I think now it a good time for me to go get some macaroons to eat while I watched GoT" to which I replied "ITA!" and at the same time I was opening my mail and found the $25 Panera gift card that I had ordered from Amazon. So I texted her the gc info so she could add it to her app. It was meant for her Christmas stocking but my sweetie pie needs comfort, stat! Plus I told her to use my free Bagel a Day reward for today since I didn't redeem it. She was very grateful :)
- I had gotten a free 16 oz bag of trail mix free with the gift card so I gave that to Youngest Son. At this rate, I'll never accumulate any Christmas gifts in my Christmas closet!
- I got my other 4 Amazon orders, all in one box, and the boy kittens wasted no time playing hide and seek with and in the box, lol.
- Another thing that I got in the mail is our Notice of Proposed Property Taxes and Proposed or Adopted Non-Ad Valorem Assessments. It's basically a notice that we receive every fall with the detail if what our taxable value was for several components of our property taxes for the past year, as well as how much we ended up paying for all of that back in 2016 and the 2017 current taxable value for all those components, what our taxes are going to be this year if no change is made to the budget and how much they'll be if the proposed budget change is made. We paid $1,286.82 back in 2016. This year, we'll pay $1,235.26 if they don't make any changes or $1,304.17 if the budget does change. So in the "worst case scenario", our taxes will go up by less than $20. It's good news for us as taxpayers who don't like to pay taxes (lol, although I do love my library system and even our school system where my kids have mostly flourished, but I'm cheap and would rather pay fewer taxes than more!) and great info to have to plan how much I'll have to pay from our checking account when we get the bill since this year and for the first time, the mortgage company won't be taking care of that for us.
- Since there was a phone number to call with questions on the accompanying letter, I called to ask whether they had heard from the mortgage company about having satisfied the mortgage and sending me the bill directly, and the lady said that once I get the notice of what the actual bill will be (the one that says "Don't pay, the bill has been sent to your mortgage company"), I need to actually PAY it and then next year they'll know to bill me directly. So I'm glad I called and didn't waste a trip to their office :)
- Suddenly this weekend I remembered that I had potatoes in my pantry so I checked on them... and had to compost a couple that had started getting really soft (but not stinky yet). So for dinner I used up half the remaining potatoes to make mashed potatoes and I'll bake some breaded chicken breasts that I had bought for youngest son that he never ate. I'll serve them on whole wheat buns like chicken sandwiches. I peeled the potatoes while watching Seinfeld since the water had to heat up and the kittens came running as soon as they heard the noise of me peeling the potatoes, as usual. Weirdos!
- But then, walking back to the kitchen, I noticed that some kitten (for sure) had peed on the carpet in front of the printer stand. Not just piddling either, full on peeing! There's a litter box just 2 feet away! It doesn't even look bad and Youngest Son added litter to it yesterday. Arrgh! So I used a good amount of Bounty paper towels to soak up as much as possible and then saturated it the area with the Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer that I had bought back when they were little, on Laura's advice. I'm glad I still had some! I guess they were playing too hard as they've been chasing each other all over the place this afternoon? Arrgh.
- My laundry is taking forever to dry indoors on the racks, but then again it would have taken long outside too because it was so humid.
- I took a Wawa survey and earned a new coupon for a free drink that I'll redeem on Wednesday.
- Woohoo, I surpassed my 2nd daily goal in SB without having to take a survey and the videos are still running. I should be able to order a new gift card tomorrow at the latest :)
- Dinner was good, we have a lot of mashed potato leftovers. I didn't have a cover for the container so I dug out a shower cap that I had grabbed from one of our hotel rooms this summer, just for this very purpose.
- After dinner, I texted with my daughter about our impressions of the GoT episode from last night, and Greg continued watching "WestWorld", episode 5.
- I might not publish a blog post tomorrow. Looking at my To Do List, I have a lot of things to do and if I start blogging about my day, I'm just going to be on the laptop all day because it's really my avoidance tactic, I think! So I might do one of those several days at a time recap later on this week. I'm not sure. Just don't worry if you don't hear anything from me for a few days!
To Do List
Buy a couple of Powerball tickets!DONE Do Walgreens shoppingDONE Meet friend for breakfastDONE
- Take Youngest Son to Library for eclipse?! NOPE
- Pick up new library book (Tuesday)
- Tape the Strength Training videos and put on dedicated SD card
- Cleaning (i.e. domestic chores)
Empty dishwasherDONE Do the dishesDONE Sweep the kitchenDONE
- Clean fridge
Do the laundryDONE
- Fold the laundry
- Put the laundry away
- Wash litter boxes
- Wash window over kitchen sink
- Wash the front of the kitchen cabinets
- Iron Greg's clothes
- Sweep upstairs bathroom
- Vacuum living room
- Dust Greg's bedroom
- Dust my bedroom
- Clean Daughter's room
- Mend some items from the mending basket, especially Greg's shorts
- Vacuum fridge's coils
- Scrub the WHOLE shower (including ceiling)
- Clean exercise room vent
- Wash bathroom and hall ceiling, door jamb (wear old clothes)
Defrost meat for dinnerNO NEED TONIGHT Bake a snack for Youngest SonDONE Make mashed potatoesDONE
- Make vanilla extract
- Try to make beef jerky
- Plan today's food intake
- Keep track of liquid intake!
- Record today's food intake into MFP
- Inventory fridge
- Inventory pantry
- Inventory small freezer
- Plant 2nd passion fruit vine seeds
- Plant lantana berry (with gloves, remove flesh first)
- Make hummingbird nectar
- Trim bushes in front of the house
- Transplant ferns from bin into front yard
- Transplant all basil seedlings from berm and patio to the empty garden beds
- Pull weeds from garden area
- Pull weeds from rose planter
- Pull weeds from raspberry planter
- Pull weeds from gravel path IN PROGRESS
- Pull weeds from patio
- Lay down more cardboard on top of mulch
- Mulch the berm again
- Make more self watering bins
- Plant tomatoes and lettuce (when it's cooler)
- Add Osmocote plant food to hibiscus and roses
Check on beans and papaya seedlings (daily) and water as neededIT RAINED Check on pineapples rooting in jarsDONE
- Harvest pineapple? NOT YET
- Read up on growing papaya trees again
Water the potted plantsIT RAINED LAST NIGHT
- Order rain barrel from Home Depot
- Figure out where to plant the salvia, lantana
Give Male Cat and Mean Kitty their medicineDONE
- Trim all cats' nails
- Brush cats
Take Wawa surveyDONE Read "Nickel and Dimed" library bookTRIED TO, GIVING UP
- Track Greg's new pay stub in my spreadsheets
- Explore Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services webpage and get started on process
- Create Greg's online Social Security Account (with him) and update my documents
- Explore Will and Power of Attorney forms on LegalZoom and discuss with Greg
- Call SunTrust and Chase re: bonds
- Reconcile FSA records to make sure we're not missing money in the account
- Family & Friends
- Take Youngest Son driving
- Write a letter to my great aunt
- Post trip pictures on French blog - STARTED
- Finish the 2014 Powerpoint document for Daughter
- Add clip art to all 2012, 2013 and 2014 pages that I created and print them
- Type up freezer inventory
- Make menu for upcoming week
- Plan meal ideas ahead (beyond this week) with freezer and fridge contents
- Clip coupons
- Put coupons away in coupon organizer
- Help Youngest Son move his military miniatures to Daughter's bedroom?
- Review emails I had sent to Youngest Son on 7/23 about college with him
- Get him started on Coalition For Access application (add reminders on calendar for each summer too)
- File paperwork
- Declutter the printer stand
- Declutter the breezeway counters
- Declutter the gardening supplies area
- Declutter the old coffee table ONGOING