Well, this is it: the day when my darling kittens are getting fixed. It was a stressful night, first with all the bad weather around us (18 people died in the Southeast due to that same storm system so it wasn't something to take lightly!), and then worrying about my babies' big day, and about how thirsty they must be because I was very thirsty but I didn't drink anything in solidarity with them!
Explorer and Princess slept with me and cuddled and cuddled. It was like they knew something was going to happen. And then at 6:00 a.m. Explorer sent something flying from my nightstand, sure sign that he wanted me to get up NOW!
So I went to shower while the kittens went downstairs in search of breakfast... which wasn't to be found since I had left specific instructions to not give any cats any food or water.
When I came down I packed Greg's lunch, prepped his breakfast and then put the kittens' name tags on the collars that I had bought them for Christmas. I removed the little bells because they would have driven me crazy. Then I put the collars on the kittens. It was probably the last time they trusted me to do something to them. As soon as the collars were on, they completely freaked out, trying to play with the tags that were dangling there and take the collars off. It was kind of comical, in a way, to see their acrobatics. I didn't put their rabies or county license on, just the tags engraved with their names, so the vet technicians would know which kitten was which.
|Explorer, trying to eat the name tag dangling from his brand new collar!|
Then I took Youngest Son to school, which went really well. We passed his school bus which is now picking up kids going the opposite direction as it usually does?! You'd think they'd warn the parents, but no. I'm glad I'm just driving him now, it cuts down on the stress of wondering whether he's going to be picked up or not.
Back home, Greg was eating breakfast and I rustled up the kittens and put them in their carriers, one to each carrier. Boy, they fought me! They have never fought me before so I was surprised! And then the pitiful meowing and clanging against the doors to pop them open started. Greg, the yellow-bellied husband, escaped to work, and I had to wait a few more minutes before it was time to drive them to the vet's.
In the car, they had calmed down, and then Princess started meowing and then all three were meowing, ugh. I called Greg and put the call on speaker so he could share in the misery. It's not a long drive to our vet's but it felt like an eternity with my babies crying behind and next to me!
So now they're there. The surgery tech will call me mid-day to tell me how they're doing and I'll probably be able to pick them up between 4 and 5. Or was it 3 and 4? I'm sure they'll tell me again.
The bill is going to be a doozy, hence the title of the post. I'm not even going to pretend this is Domestic Monday because I miss my kitties and I'm worried and I don't feel like doing anything. But I'm still posting my To Do List, in the hope that it will inspire me to do something.
TO DO LIST
- Read details of Diabetic Exchange program
- Do my foot exercises 2X
- Finish putting away Christmas decorations
- Wipe out a USB stick for library DONE
- Greg and I need to assign the IRA contributions to specific funds
- Vacuum fridge coils
- Replace fridge water filter
- Finish decluttering under window seat in Exercise Room (on Thursday)
- Compare music libraries between the 2 laptops and finish moving what's missing to my new laptop in progress (copied it all from old laptop to external drive)
- Figure out what software I still need to move/reinstall on new laptop DONE
- Trying syncing my phone on new laptop
- Clean litter box upstairs - I did late last night
- Add Osmocote plant food to rose and hibiscus bushes
- Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine
- Ask Daughter to help me clip Tabby Kitty's back claws and Explorer's claws (later on this week) The vet techs clipped their nails for free!
- Fill up jugs with rainwater
- Finish putting the laundry away
- Start new loads of laundry DONE
- Take Driscoll's surveys
- Take RaceTrac surveys
- Make lemon poppyseed muffins or/and lemon squares with the "grapefruits"!
- Pick the oranges
- Zest the oranges and freeze
- Move fonts from old laptop and reinstall on new laptop
- Take my measurements
- Sign up for Personal Capital?
- Enter receipts into spreadsheets in progress
- Clip coupons DONE
- Sort and file coupons DONE
- Last night the 600 SB for my Microsoft Shop & Earn were finally credited to my SB account. I now have enough SB to order a gift card, but I will wait until after the team challenge (that starts today) concludes so I can earn whatever pitiful swag-up award my team will earn!
- Youngest Son packed a lunch to take to school.
- I packed a sandwich and other goodies for Greg to take to work.
- My 1st Swagbucks goal is 100 SB. It'll be hard to reach it, I think, today.
- There was little damage to our backyard; we lost a leaf filter on one of the gutters, that Greg will nail back in place, and a middle size branch fell in between our house and our neighbor's. Greg will cut it in pieces and place it in the yard waste bin tonight.
- I harvested a few tomatoes, including a couple of green ones that the rain had torn off the plants. I'm hoping they'll ripen on the countertop. Also a couple of beans :)
- I checked the rain barrel and was disappointed to find that, even with all the rain we had, it's only 3/4 full. I'll fill up jugs tomorrow because I forgot to do that today.
- I thought I had drank all the coffee that I had brewed yesterday morning but there still was about 1/2 a cup left in the pot so I had that this morning.
- The temperature is pretty cool this morning so I have the AC turned off and the windows open. Our high today should be 71F/21.6C.
- I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits.
- I entered 4 MCR codes into MyCokeRewards and scored 12 MCR points in my account.
- I did the laundry in cold/cold. The dryer will be used on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting. For the 2nd load, my bottle of detergent was almost empty so I refilled it with water several times and dumped it into the washing machine to use it all up. I also adjusted the water level to just "large" since my 2nd load had fewer items.
- I clipped the coupons that I had printed and from yesterday's inserts. I had turned the TV on to see if anything was worth having on while I was clipping and an episode of Law & Order Criminal Intent was starting, woohoo! I watched the whole series on DVD last year, but I can always watch it all over again because I'm so forgetful, lol.
- I was able to qualify for 1 SB survey, finally, after trying out for many, and met my 1st Daily Goal.
- I also realized I qualified for the 14 day Streak bonus, i.e. I will be awarded another 100 SB next month!
- For lunch, I had a bowl of leftover black bean soup, a Sandwich Thin with a herring fillet in mango sauce and half a papaya. I didn't take a picture because I was anxious to hear from the vet's so I forgot!
- So I called them at 1 p.m. since I still hadn't heard from them and they said the boys were "done" and Princess was still being operated on. I thought they'd all be in recovery by now...
- I reached my 2nd Daily Goal in Swagbucks and I've earned the 400 team points in the Team Challenge needed to qualify for whatever Swag-up we'll get at the end of the week :)
- Chili's emailed me a coupon for a free appetizer with any adult entree over the next couple of days. It's going to remain in my inbox, in case I get to use it (but I won't!).
- The vet's bill was about $200 cheaper than I had been quoted! That was a great surprise, as I expected the bill to be closer to $800 according to the estimate they had given me, but it came in much lower than that, included all the medicines I have to give the kittens, and the follow-up visit for Princess to get her stitches out in a couple of weeks. I charged it to Amex, where I will earn 1% back in Rewards, and which should help me reach what I need to order another CVS gift card soon, I hope!
- A box of PinchMe samples came in! I received:
- A large sample bag of Purina One dry cat food. I texted my BFF to ask if her cats were picky or if she would like it.
- A dishwashing cloth from Scotch Brite
- A small 100-calorie bag of Slim Fast chips
- A code for a free 8 x 8 photobook from Shutterfly (won't use, let me know if you want the code)
- a coupon for a free jar of Barilla pasta sauce
- 5 $1 coupons off jars of Barilla pesto sauce. I might not buy because we don't use pesto and I think I already have a jar or two in my pantry!
- I unlocked a few offers on MobiSave, SavingStar, and Ibotta, including a new offer at Gander Mounter for $5.00 off a $25 purchase. It expires at the end of the week so I won't redeem it, more than likely, as the closest Gander Mountain is at least an hour away.
- I ordered take-out for dinner and my daughter went to pick it up with the Focus. She didn't want Chinese so I suggested she goes to Subway and uses the coupon that I had forwarded to her: $4 for a 6" sub and a bag of chips. It was about $3 cheaper than she would have spent at Publix for the same thing. The rest of us ordered combination platters, which have a lot of food (soup, eggroll and entree). I'm going to try and keep at least half my portion for lunch tomorrow. We'll see if I can be "good" tonight!
- to drive son to school
- and tolls for Greg's commute
- to drive kittens to vet
- to go pick up kittens
- to go pick up dinner
- I used the dryer to dry all the laundry since it's raining off and on and I don't feel like setting up the racks in the house and have the cats play with the clothes drying on them.
- A huge vet bill which was cheaper than I thought, though!
- Take-out dinner. With 3 kittens in distress and the need to monitor them away from the older cats, I didn't feel like cooking so I decided we would splurge on take-out tonight.
- The Kellogg's Family Rewards site still didn't let me log in this morning. Hopefully their IT people work on Mondays and will fix it!
- One of the Coke bottle caps that the kids found this weekend had a code that wasn't recognized by MCR. I tried a large number of various combinations, took a picture of the code with my phone and zoomed on it so I was sure I was entering the proper letters and finally gave up :(
- Oh who am I kidding?! It started with one little piece of ginger dark chocolate and ended up with me eating the rest of the bar that my Daughter had given me at Christmas. Plus I should exercise this afternoon since I plan on babysitting the kittens all evening in my bedroom during their recovery but I don't feel like it... What was that you said, Bless, about my willpower?!
MONEY SPENT TODAY
- Our Discover card was billed for our Netflix subscription: $10.81
- Vet's: $532.98
- Subway: $4.28
- Chinese restaurant: $29.69
- This coming week (starting on Thursday for me), Publix will have the Campbell's Yes Well soups on BOGO and I Heart Publix posted a link for a BOGO Campbell's Yes Well coupon, which will make these soups completely free. I printed 2 coupons from my laptop and fired up the old laptop to print 2 more. I'll just stop by every morning after dropping off my son at school :)
- My box of PinchMe samples came in the mail. One of them was a coupon for a free jar of Barilla pasta sauce and Publix will have the sauce on BOGO starting on Thursday so I'll score 2 free jars next week!
- The vet techs trimmed all 3 kittens' nails for free :)
- Packed Greg's lunch
- Prepped his breakfast
- Took son to school
- Put name tags on kitten collars
- Put collars on kittens
- Put kittens in pet carriers
- Fed the big cats
- Drove kittens to the vet's
- Inspected the garden and yard
- Put bird feeders out again
- Harvested a few veggies
- Corresponded with one of my brothers via email
- Replied to blog comments and commented on blogs
- Started the laundry
- Put away the flashlights and emergency weather radio
- Clipped coupons
- Put the name tags on the older cats' collars
- Filed coupons away in organizer
- Participated in SB Team Challenge
- Mopped all the water I spilled!
- Called the vet's
- Texted Greg and the kids to update them
- Printed some tax documents
- Transferred music files from old laptop to external drive
- Listed the programs and docs I still have to transfer to the new laptop
- Went to pick up the kittens
- Unlocked offers on rebate apps
- Ordered take-out for dinner
- Tried to get Princess to stop licking her incision. Ugh.
- Supervised kittens while they were sleeping off their loopiness :)
- Sleep was anxious but apparently good. I guess the app knows better than me?!
- Breakfast was a cup of Special K Vanilla Almond and 1/2 cup of whole milk. I drank coffee.
- Mid morning snack was 3 pieces of ginger dark chocolate.
- Lunch was black bean soup, a herring filet on a Sandwich Thin, half a papaya
- Afternoon snack was more chocolate, pretzel sticks...
- Dinner was Chinese take-out.
- Water consumption was almost non-existent, I was too stressed.
- Exercise was just walking around the house today (7,131 steps as of 7:30 p.m.)
- Foot exercises were performed.
- that my BFF finally replied to my worried text from last night, as the weatherman had shown her area being impacted by very strong winds and rain... she told me they hadn't gotten ANY rain or even strong winds at her house!
- That the 6.5 cup full of water RaceTrac cup that I managed to dump all over the floor where most of our power cords and transformers lay didn't damage any equipment and that I was able to mop it all up before:
- the wooden floor was ruined
- I was electrocuted
- our electronic (2 laptops, Greg's desktop and his Xbox One) were damaged!
I'm always bitching at Greg for having water on his desk next to the electronics so we won't mention this major mishap to him!
- That in cleaning up the mess, I found, tucked under a corner of the carpet, an SD card that didn't contain anything that I needed so I wiped off the content and now I have an SD card to give to the Teen librarian so she can finally copy those pictures of Youngest Son and friends on there for me!
- For very friendly and professional vet techs. They're awesome ladies, all of them, and took great care of my babies!
- Well they got their operations. The vet tech said their bloodwork was great. Tabby Kitty is now 6.8 lbs, Explorer is 6.2 lbs and Princess is 5.2 lbs. Explorer and Princess used to be so close in weight, always, but not anymore!
- We brought them home in 3 different carriers, the kids came with me to help. I was going to put them up in my room right away, but they have to remain in the carriers for a couple more hours so I put them in the living room with me and I'm playing some Vivaldi to calm them down. It's not working as they are frantic to get out of the carriers. I feel so bad for them! They can only have a little bit of water when they come out, and then about 5-10 kibbles of food each at about 8 p.m.
- Tomorrow they can start eating normally again, but I also have to give them drugs every 12 hours.
- At 5:45 p.m. I couldn't take Princess's pitiful cries anymore (the boys had quieted down and were asleep in their carriers) so I took them up to my room and opened the carriers. Explorer went to hide under the bed and wouldn't come out for a whole 30 minutes. Tabby Kitty and Princess were all loopy but restless and were trying to get out of the room. They eventually drank a little water and tried to use the litterbox, but they also try to lick their butts or stitches, try to jump on things (and then fall off because they're loopy)... they're quite a handful! But they're not longer crying. We'll see how much sleep I get tonight I think I might push the bed aside and put the mattress on the ground...
|Tabby Kitty and Princess loopily trying to play and walk around :)|
|Tabby Kitty attacking the draft stopper under the door while Explorer seems to have forgotten that his butt should be IN the litterbox, not sticking out of it! Thankfully, he didn't do anything!|
- I moved to the bed and the boys came up and fell asleep next to me at about 6:45 p.m. I'm playing the Vivaldi station on my phone's Pandora app, this time it seems to work to relax them. They're used to hearing it when I play it downstairs. Princess was licking her incision non-stop and it was challenging to make her stop. She's very restless and won't settle down to fall asleep (she came out of surgery at least 2 hours after the boys so she's not on the same sleep cycle anymore). At least none of them are acting like they're afraid of me anymore!