Monday, Monday... la la, la la la, la!
It was cold this morning but "only" in the low 40s, not the mid 30s that I had been expected. Still, I drove Youngest Son to school because I didn't want him standing there waiting for the bus in the cold, in plain view of my living room windows :) And then he only had a fleece-lined hoodie, which apparently is his warmest jacket, and couldn't bundle up since he had to dress up for the FBLA picture this afternoon.
So I drove him. The drop-off itself went really well but leaving the high school parking lot felt like it took forever this morning, I'm not sure why.
I got home and Greg had said he would just make himself a PBJ for breakfast so I didn't have to cook anything and I forgot to pack his lunch. Thankfully he asked me if he had a lunch to take to work and, indeed, I had packed him leftovers last night so all I had to do was put everything in his lunchbox and then he was off. He didn't sleep well, as he apparently heard sirens and then a generator and then a bunch of other noises that I didn't hear at all even though our bedrooms are next to one another, but his windows face the west and the north and mine face the east and the south so I guess that makes a big difference. Plus he's back to not feeling well and I wished he would have stayed home so we could have done to CentraCare and gotten him examined.
I was giddy that my left heel wasn't hurting after our long brisk walk yesterday, well I must have jinxed myself because when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I could barely put any weight on it. Arrgh. And it's hurting this morning, of course. I need to do a lot of stretching exercises this week.
Today is Daughter's last day of work at the Grand Floridian and she has an evening shift. I think she might have to go back tomorrow so she can turn in her costume, ID, etc.
Well, I have a little kitten asleep on my chest right now so I suppose that I shouldn't disturb him. I might as well work on my....
TO DO LIST
- Watch last night's episode of "Sherlock" because I forgot it even was on.
- Iron some of Greg clothes (while watching Sherlock) - I hung an outfit right out of the dryer so there isn't any urgency for me to iron anything :)
- Print my menu for the week DONE
- Cook dinner in the crockpot DONE
- Cook rest of the bacon and freeze it
- Gather trash throughout the house DONE
- Take RaceTrac and Driscoll's surveys DONE
- Print coupons DONE
- Clip all coupons DONE
- File coupons DONE
- Check the air filters DONE
- Pour bleach in the furnace's drain line DONE
- Put DD214 away DONE
- Deduct cost of Greg's liquor stock-up from next month's grocery budget
- Pick up Youngest Son from school DONE
- Drive him to the library he decided to walk
- Pick him up from the library ditto
- Read details of Diabetic Exchange program
- Do the laundry DONE
- Fold the laundry
- Put the laundry away
- Wash the cat litter boxes DONE
- Do my foot exercises 3 X DONE
- Exercise DONE
- Finish putting away Christmas decorations
- Wipe out a USB stick for library
- Remind Greg to transfer money into the IRA accounts He did most of it, need to finish tomorrow.
- When he does this, update the Net Worth document
- Make crepes with sour milk DONE
- Make pancakes with sour milk and freeze DONE
- Dust Cat Room
- Vacuum fridge coils
- Declutter under window seat in Exercise Room
- My son packed a lunch to take to school.
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.
- I earned a few Swagbucks but my 1st goal is 90 SB and the videos I usually play have already dried up at 9:00 a.m. so I won't be meeting it.
- I made a pot of split pea soup for dinner in the crockpot, using a bag of dried split peas that I had gotten at Walmart for free, homemade chicken stock (free), baby carrots, dried thyme from the garden, a bay leaf and some of the bacon that I had bought on BOGO several months ago and frozen. This time I will cook the rest of the bacon and freeze it to use as topping on salad and soups in the future.
- I drained one tray of bacon fat into the jar that I keep in the fridge for when I cook greens. I drained the other one into the upcycled "Fat" glass jar that I keep on my sink so it doesn't go down the drain and clog it. The jar was full after that so I threw it away and I dug out another recycled glass jar out of my stash, labeled it "Fat" and set it on my sink. We've had too many plumbing problems when the culprit was cooking fat clogging our pipes!
- After defrosting several items for dinner and cooking the bacon, I had a full dishwasher so I ran it.
- I did 2 super loads of laundry on cold/cold.
- I suddenly remembered that our health plan offers us an option to do a video call with a doctor/nurse practitioner for the same co-pay as an in-person visit, although I need to enable that on our plan. So I texted Greg to offer him that option.
- I printed a few coupons via Swagbucks and uploaded digital coupons to my Publix and Walgreens wallets.
- I input yesterday's walk into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned 80 BR points.
- In a comment on Sandie's blog last night, I said that I might use my $25 in Kohl's cash to order a replacement pair of walking shoes in advance since I'm using mine quite a lot (I wear them every day just to walk around and also exercise). She encouraged me to do so, instead of trying to find presents for Christmas already. A Slickdealer has already posted the 30% off code that will take effect on Thursday (and will update the post with the free shipping code once it becomes available) so I put a reminder on my calendar for Thursday to see if the same Rykia shoes will be a good deal to buy then or not.
- Subway texted me an offer for $1 off any footlong. I probably won't use it but it's nice to know it's there if, for some reason, I go to Subway in the next couple of day.
- I earned most of the daily credits from Microsoft Rewards (see "Failures").
- I unlocked new offers from MobiSave.
- I also unlocked new offers from Ibotta.
- IHeartPublix posted the upcoming week's ad with the coupon match-ups that she's aware of. Every Monday, I just forward the post to my email but I don't open it until it's time for me to work on my shopping list the following week. I also don't look at her "SuperDeals" posts anymore. I'm sure I'm missing some super cheap deals but my pantry is full so I really need to use up what I have before I'm tempted to stock up on everything under the sun, especially things that we don't need, just because it's a great deal. I have to remember that I have another kid leaving home soon!
- I went outside to wash the 4 cat litter boxes and it wasn't that cold anymore so I turned off the heat at about 11:30 a.m. Our high today is predicted to be 64F and it's 64F right now. I think I will drive my son to school again for the next couple of days as the temps will still be in the low 40s at night.
- I inspected the garden and everything seems to have survived the cold snap quite well. I harvested a few tomatoes and a couple of beans.
- I emptied 4 cat litter jugs into the freshly washed litter boxes and kept the jugs to refill them with rainwater for the garden if it ever rains again :) I put masking tape labels with today's date on the lip of each cat litter box so I never have to wonder how long it's been since I completely washed each litter box and replaced all the litter. I've been doing this for a month and it's worked great. I find myself needed to wash the boxes completely every couple of weeks or I can start smelling the cat pee, even though we clean them out every night.
- I found a dime under one of the cat litter boxes and a penny on a dresser so I added them to my 2017 Spare Change Jar.
- I filled a claim under the Blue Diamond Class Action Lawsuit as I did, indeed, buy at least 5 boxes of Blue Diamond Nut Thins within the prescribed dates. So at some point I should receive $5 in cash. You can also claim for Almond Breeze purchases but I never did buy that.
- I filtered water for the kittens in my Brita pitcher since we've used all of the bottled water that I had stocked up on for hurricane season last year.
- Greg was all excited to open his lunch container today and texted me about it, lol. I had forgotten that I had packed him a chicken sandwich, a string cheese stick, a diet Dr. Pepper, a yogurt, and then half a baked potato. I had included a packet of mayonnaise that I had picked up at RaceTrac several months ago when I was redeeming a code for a free hot dog (I'd rather give him a packet than putting mayo on the bun in advance as it makes them soggy and if he decided to heat it up then the mayo is hot, yuck), and also 2 small pats of butter that the attendant at Panera had included with my last free bagel and that I had kept in the fridge. He said it was like having a catered lunch, ha! Gotta keep the magic alive, you know...
- My own lunch was an "egg salad" sandwich because I still have 3 hard-boiled eggs from last week that I don't want to go to waste. I sliced an egg atop a Sandwich Thin (bought on BOGO and with coupons at Publix) and 1 tbsp of light mayo. I had a small bowl of butternut squash soup made last week (it was the last of it). For dessert. I had been looking forward to eating the kiwis that I had bought at Christmas. I had put them in the fridge so they wouldn't spoil. But my plan didn't work (see "Failures") so I had a Dole Mixations fruit cup instead (got for free after mailer coupon/refund from Dole).
- I got the laundry out of the dryer just as it was finishing drying. There was a towel that was still a tiny bit damp so I hung it up in the laundry room to finish it off. I hung Greg's work pants and flannel shirt right away and it doesn't look like I'll have to iron those, woohoo! If only I could remember to do that every time :)
- While I was in the laundry room and trying to see if there were more clothes to reach at the bottom of the washing machine (we have a top loader) in order to throw them in the dryer for the 2nd load, I was lamenting about the poor lighting in that room. But then I looked up and thought to myself "Hmm, I don't remember switching THAT light bulb for an LED last year..." so I checked the fixture and, sure enough, we had an incandescent bulb in there. So I replaced it with one of the two LED bulbs that Duke Energy had sent me in the free energy efficiency kit of supplies after doing the Home Energy Audit online (scroll to about the middle of that post for more info on that). The room is brighter now and if someone leaves the light on by mistake (which doesn't happen a lot now that the older boys are gone, but does happen occasionally), it won't cost us as much. And yes, I can see the bottom of my washing machine much better now :)
- I wanted to post a video of Tabby Kitty playing with a toy and his tunnel to Instagram but my video was about 6 seconds too long so I went to trim it on my phone... and found that the trim option had disappeared from my Photo app. What?! I knew that I had edited several videos on my phone before and I haven't updated the iOS in a year and a half so I was puzzled. Researching the issue online, I came across a suggestion to another problem to reboot the phone. Well, this usually works well for me when an app isn't working properly, so I made sure to close all the apps that were open on my phone and rebooted it. The trim option reappeared in the Photo app just like magic! And I was able to post the video to Instagram so my family can enjoy some kitten antics as well :)
- I clipped all the coupons that I had printed and from this weekend's inserts and set aside the pet coupons to donate to the South Lake Animal League Thrift Store. The ladies there are always super happy to get the coupons.
- I checked our air filters and since we've rarely had to have the AC or heat on since 10/31, they are almost pristine and don't need to be replaced. Yay! That saves me about $8 right there.
- I poured some bleach in the furnace drain line to prevent a blockage like the one we needed to have a plumber clear a couple of years ago. While I was in that room, that I call "the cave", I replaced the CFL bulb with the 2nd free LED bulb from Duke Energy so now I can also see much better in that dark room. Woo!
- Well I had another failure with my crepes, but I was able to rescue the batter and turn it into pancake batter. I used up all the sour milk by mixing another batch of pancake batter right after that. My son was able to have 3 mangled "crepes" for his snack and I have a mountain of pancakes to freeze :)
- Swagbucks emailed me the Walmart gift card that I had ordered. I'll need to go to Walmart soon and stock up on more dried beans, etc.
- In the mail I received an envelope with 3 local coupon books. I kept the envelope to reuse it at a later time.
- I received more coupons for free cat food products from Meow Mix :) I offered them to my BFF and she gratefully accepted them. So I mailed them to her as well as the previous coupon I had gotten for the Meow Mix Brushing Bites cat treats.
- Someone posted a Kellogg's Family Rewards bonus code on Slickdeals without saying what it's worth. I entered it in my account but it doesn't confirm the amount until sometimes at least an hour later so it's a surprise! The code is: WINT-ERWO-NDER-PNTS While I was checking my dashboard, I noticed that I had earned a 1,000 KFR point bonus a couple of days ago, thanks to my purchase of Special K at CVS last week. Woo.
- MyCokeRewards sent me an offer to get a code for a free deck of personalized playing cards from Shutterfly. You still have to pay shipping so it's not a true freebie, but when I saw the example with the pictures of the cats on the cards, I thought it might be a good gift for one of my kids at Christmas so I sent for the code since it didn't cost me any MCR points. However, shipping is a whooping $14.99!!!! So... I'm not ordering anything.
- But while I was logged in to my MCR account, I entered the codes that I had collected in the past couple of weeks.
- I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and earned reward codes for 2 new freebies :)
- I took 2 Driscoll's surveys for berries that I had bought several months ago and reached the silver level with my first survey so the coupons that I received today are worth $0.75/1 and I only need another 15 surveys to make it to the Gold Level, whereby I will receive coupons for $1.00/1!
- Another reason why I'm not a minimalist? I needed to freeze the pancakes that I made but I only had room in the freeze for one cookie sheet (I wanted to freeze the pancakes individually). However, I have at least 6 silicone baking mats. So I used the mats to do a "double-decker" so I can freeze all the pancakes at once. It's a success because I'm less likely to eat them if they're all frozen :)
- The soup that I made in the crockpot was good! I realized, though, at the last minute, that the only protein I was serving were the 8 strips of bacon that were in the soup and Greg usually likes more protein for dinner. Oops. I still have about 1.5 serving of soup left over. I'll eat it later on this week as Greg would rather not have soup for lunch, he's always afraid it's going to spill all over his business stuff.
- After dinner, Greg transferred the money from the stock options he had exercised to our IRAs. We realized that, since I turn 50 at the end of the year, we can actually contribute a maximum of $6,500 to my spousal IRA. Next year, we'll be able to contribute that same amount to Greg's AND also contribute more to his 401(k) since he'll be turning 50 then. Well, that's assuming that we do have money to contribute :) He and I got distracted while he was making the transfers (he was funding our 2016 AND 2017 IRAs) and we weren't sure that the 3rd transaction had been designated for the correct year. Our brokerage firm doesn't make a note of that on the confirmation so we'll need to wait until the money is actually transferred tomorrow to see which year he funded before he does the 4th and final transaction. Clear as mud? Yeah, me too.
- My friend texted me to see if we could push back our lunch so we agreed to meet on Friday instead.
- I was tired and didn't want to but I forced myself to get into my exercise clothes and get my butt on the recumbent bike! Once I was on it and pedaling, it wasn't all that bad. I caught up on blogs and emails while "Frasier" was playing. I stopped once I passed the 30 minute-mark though, because I really felt tired. I think I'll be sleeping well tonight!
- The heat was on last night and this morning (set for 67F).
- Gas to drive my son to school and then to pick him up.
- Gas and tolls for Greg's commute.
- Gas for my daughter to drive to work and back.
- I used the dryer for the laundry as it is too cold for me to be outside hanging up laundry and the kittens would just pull everything off the racks if I set them up indoors.
- It was getting chilly again so I turned the heat back on at 6 p.m.
- My left heel hurts a lot this morning. I guess I was being overly optimistic yesterday. I won't make that mistake again. Pessimistic fits my nature much better!
- The kittens chewed on my pineapple plants (indoor) some more. Arrgh. I ought to make sure it's not poisonous. Well, apparently they're not. I guess I should hope that they'll hurt their mouths so they stop chewing on them! (also 11 cats?! Those people are cuckoo!)
- Still no e-Offers from MurphyUSA this month so I emailed them to ask whether they had discontinued the program.
- The Microsoft Rewards bonus offer for using Edge on Windows 10 (30 pt bonus quiz) isn't working so I emailed their customer service. They sent me a very long canned answer tonight that didn't help at all so I sent a sarcastic reply back. Ugh. I'm pretty sure it was a robot who answered me in the first place.
- My plan was to eat 3 kiwis today and 2 per day for the rest of the week since I had a total of 11 kiwis. They looked a little wrinkly but fine otherwise. But when I cut them open and tasted them, most of the flesh was brown, not green, and they tasted truly horrible. So I ended up having to compost all 11 kiwis. I was so mad with myself not to have eaten them sooner :(
- I had meant to print 2 more of the BOGO coupons for FoldIt flat breads at the end of last year, using my old laptop, but it completely slipped my mind. I was looking through this week's Publix weekly ad to see what I could buy on Wednesday and saw their BOGO sale, which reminded me that I hadn't printed the extra coupons so I fired up my old laptop (which seems incredibly slow compared to my new one so that was indeed an improvement!) but the coupons are no longer available :( No more free flat bread for me, waaaah.
- Since I was going to get my son from school and it's about halfway to CVS already, I decided to push on to CVS after picking him up to see if they had received their delivery of Diet Dr. Pepper. It never occurred to me to call them instead. Anyhoo, as you might have surmised since this is under "failures", they hadn't. So that was a waste of gas and time. However, I did speak to the ordering guy (he was there today but the delivery is tomorrow, so the cashier who had told me the delivery was today was wrong) who said he would request an additional 9 cases of Diet Dr. Pepper. The delivery guy usually comes first thing in the morning, although there is no guarantee, so I guess I'll go pick up my son from school again tomorrow and do the same thing. Keeping my fingers crossed!
- My crepes were a disaster, and I don't know why! They just wouldn't cook properly and I ended up with a mess and mangled crepes. I saved the batter and made pancakes but some of the mess just ended up in the trash. I had started eating it and it was actually pretty good, and then I caught myself. I'm on a diet! So I threw it away :(
|I think I might have to give back my French citizenship...|
- My daughter went to work and called me from the road to say that the light indicating that the gas cap was loose had come on so she had stopped to tighten it but that the light was still on. We agreed that she would keep driving to work. I did research on the computer and it seemed like a common and not serious problem so I wasn't worried. Indeed she called me a little bit later to report that the light had come off eventually. However, the failure is for the fact that management had scheduled too many people so they let her go home after only 1 hour. She has 1 hour of commute to get there and 1 hour to come back. Any money she made tonight would have been spent on gas to commute, were we not paying for the gas! Then she turned in her ID since it was her last day, but she didn't have all her costumes with her and the costuming department was closed anyway so now she has to go back just to turn in the costumes, but she can't even get into Costuming because she turned in her ID. Arrgh.
MONEY SPENT TODAY
- Greg's Sunpass account (tolls) automatically replenished itself: $25
- Two of our credit card payments were posted to our account today: $581.43 and $384.63
- a coupon for 2 cans of Meow Mix wet cat food
- a coupon for a bag of Meow mix dry cat food
- Received my $25 Walmart gift card from Walmart
- A code for a free personalized deck of cards from Shutterfly that I won't be using
- Fed the kittens
- Drove my son to school
- Packed a lunch for Greg
- Worked on a rewards program
- Wrote the Day Book post
- Reviewed my goals for January and made a To Do List for today
- Printed the menu for the week
- Cooked bacon
- Set aside some bacon fat
- Disposed of old fat jar and replaced it with a new one
- Started dinner in the crockpot
- Loaded the dishwasher and started it.
- Restarted the dryer containing my daughter's laundry (was still damp)
- Put Greg's DD214 form away
- Collected trash and recycling throughout the house
- Started my laundry
- Replaced bulb in laundry room
- Repeatedly yelled at kittens and chased them away from breezeway countertop
- Printed coupons
- Set reminders on my calendar
- Worked on another Rewards program
- Washed all 4 cat litter boxes
- Unlocked new offers in a couple of apps
- Submitted a claim for a class action lawsuit
- Clipped and sorted all coupons
- Started copying my music library to my new laptop
- Checked the AC filters
- Poured bleach in furnace drain line
- Replaced bulb in "cave"
- Went to pick up son from school
- Stopped by CVS
- Made crepes and pancakes
- Worked on reward programs
- Texted with BFF and mailed her coupons
- Talked to Daughter on the phone
- Caught up on blog comments and Feedly
- Took the trash and yard waste bins down to the curb
- Set the dinner table
- Unloaded the dishwasher, reloaded it and started it
- Did the pots and pans by hand
- Put away the leftovers
- Froze the pancakes
- Swept the kitchen
- Rescheduled lunch with my friend
- Advised Greg as he transferred money into our IRAs
- Took a shower
- Caught up on blogs
- Drank 2 cups of water before drinking coffee.
- Breakfast was a bowl of generic rice crispies with half a cup of whole milk (forgot to dilute it) and a banana. And coffee, of course.
- Did my foot stretching exercises 3 times today.
- Lunch was an egg salad sandwich, a bowl of butternut squash soup and a Dole Mixations fruit cup. I drank water.
- Afternoon snack was little pieces of uncooked crepe... and an apple. I drank water.
- Dinner was split pea soup with a wedge of naan bread.
- Exercise was getting on my recumbent bike for 33 minutes and biked 5.74 miles.
- I still had 320 calories to eat before I exercised and I'm not hungry and I brushed my teeth already... maybe I can bank them for tomorrow?
- For heat in my house and warm clothes.
- For a productive day.
- That the light that came on the dashboard of the family car turned itself off after my daughter tightened the gas cap.
- For a lovely New Year's card received from my youngest brother and lovely sister-in-law!
NATURE: In the Garden This Morning
|New (blurry) tomato flowers|
|Another pole bean plant found the pole and is climbing.|
|And there are new bean flowers too... and they're also blurry.|
|The lettuce survived (good, because I have plans for it later on this week!)|
|And so did the pineapple plants.|
|The one surviving strawberry plant has some new growth.|
|The lone rose is opening a little more each day|
|And now there's a new bud too so I still can't prune back the rose bushes!|
BONUS KITTEN PICTURE
|Growing like weeds but they still enjoy their toys!|
|Princess insisted on helping out with clipping the coupons again. She's so helpful this way :)|
|Blurry shot of... the Lockness Monster? A Sasquatch? Nope, just Explorer trying to steal my apple core this afternoon! He's one vegetarian kitten, I tell you!|
How was your Tuesday?