Friday, January 13, 2017

Food Waste Friday - 1/13/17



  • Last Friday after I posted my Food Waste Friday post, I realized that I had 2 very soft pears in my fruit bowl. I cut one of them open to see if I might be able to rescue them by puree them and using the puree in the pumpkin bread that I was about to bake, but it smelled fermented so I composted them.



  • On Monday I had to compost the 11 kiwis that I had left because they had gotten rotten in my fridge :(
Some of the kiwis I had to compost :(

  • I also had to throw away some dough scraps from when I tried to make crepes and failed miserably!
goodbye delicious, partly cooked crepe dough!









    • A few wrinkled grape tomatoes past their prime were part of my lunch last Friday.

    • Also last Friday, I ate the La Liberté yogurt that I had gotten for free and that had been in my fridge for several months. Its sell-by date had been the end of October 2016! I'm so glad it's gone.

    • I used up some of the sour milk in my morning cereal on several mornings. It tastes kind of like eating sourdough bread cereal.  As long as I trick myself into thinking that I'm eating bread, I'm OK, hahaha.

    • I used up the rest of the sour milk to make crepes for snacks and pancakes that I froze for future breakfasts.


    • We ate all of our leftovers and if we didn't, I froze them for future meals.

    • When I had lunch at Olive Garden with two of my kids and we still had more than half the salad bowl left over, I asked for a To Go container to bring it home (it didn't have any dressing on it as I always ask for it on the side).  I also brought home the one bread stick that the kids hadn't eaten. Youngest Son ate those for his lunch when I got home.  


    • My daughter also got a To-Go box for the rest of her spaghetti and meatballs lunch and elected to eat her leftovers for dinner that evening.

    • I saved an apple that was rotting by having it for snack :)



    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    4 comments:

    1. I had some fresh greens that turned slimy before I could get to them and an avocado that seemed to go bad overnight. But overall, we did pretty good this week.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Congrats! It's disappointing when food turns bad before you expected it to, isn't it? Sometimes it has no rhyme or reason. I need to be better at preserving the food when I see it start going bad, instead of just hoping it'll hold until I'm ready to use it up. I could dehydrate it, freeze it, use it up in a stir-fry or salad or soup...

        Delete
    2. I tossed two servings of soup, a small piece of cucumber, and most of a package of cream cheese I had been given. I might end up tossing the last 2 pieces of corn bread, too - I just don't like the taste of it, any more. :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Can you turn the corn bread into bread crumbs? Maybe you don't use that in your cooking though...

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!