Friday, January 20, 2017

Food Waste Friday ~ January 20, 2017



  • On Sunday I had to throw away a Dole Mixations fruit cup that (once again!) had spoiled in my pantry. I was super angry about it too. I'm not buying those anymore and I recommend that you don't either.  Ditto on Monday, grrr.
Notice the puffed up cover. Not a good sign.

  • I also had to throw away a hamburger patty cooked a week earlier that no one had eaten :(









    • On Saturday, my son and I each had leftovers for lunch. Mine had been in the fridge for a week and a half so I was happy to be able to use them up!
    On the left, Chinese Pork Roast that I had cooked on 1/3!

    • On Sunday, I saved 2 large baking potatoes that were going soft from the composting bin by using them in my Easy Beef Stew in the crockpot, which ended up being absolutely delicious!

    • On Tuesday, I cut up the cantaloupe that had ripened on the kitchen table, and that was threatening to get soft, into chunks and stored them in a Pyrex container in the fridge.

    • We ate all the leftovers, yay!

    • I finished the open container of caviar and the small toasts that were left from Christmas by having it a little bit for lunch over several days.

    • I used chicken bones from the breasts I cooked on Wednesday along with some saved in the freezer with frozen veggies from my garden that we weren't going to eat (green pepper and eggplant mix) to make chicken stock in the crockpot on Thursday.

    • My last 2 hard-boiled eggs smelled a little sulfur-y on Thursday so I had them as egg salad for lunch.


    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    4 comments:

    1. My husband loves those Dole Mixation fruit cups. So far we have never had a spoiled one. Is there a use by date on yours? You should contact the company and complain...they may send you some replacements.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Cheryl. The ones I'm throwing away now are in fact the replacement for the original ones that I had bought. The packages are all dated with a sell by date of March 2017. I had contacted Dole at the end of the year when the first package went bad. They never replied but sent me a replacement coupon in the mail, with which I purchased these. It's frustrating and I'm just not going to buy them anymore. I really liked them too! They don't leak and they're no pierced, they just ferment inside and the gases made the plastic top puff up. I suspect there is a manufacturing problem at the plant where these came from and they weren't sanitized properly before getting sealed.

      ReplyDelete
    3. We had a good week with no waste. Last weeks clean out helped. We'll have to pay attention this week because our produce drawer is full.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The produce drawer is almost always the problem, eh? I fixed my problem by accident when I broke my produce bin so now all the produce is sitting on a shelf at the bottom. I'm a "out of sight, out of mind"kind of girl so it's great for me!

        Congratulations on having no waste at all this week!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!