Friday, January 6, 2017

Food Waste Friday



Well, I did look in my fridge on Monday to inventory what we had and write a menu.  That's good.  But I found a lot of food to be composted or thrown away and that's not good:
  • 2 Roma tomatoes (composted)
  • The bottom of a bag of spinach (composted)
  • 3 avocadoes (composted)
  • a small cucumber (composted)
  • a few carrot sticks (composted)
  • a brick of Neufchatel cheese that I had defrosted but couldn't find when I needed it! (thrown away)
  • most of a package of smoked bacon (arrgh! thrown away)
On Wednesday morning, I had to compost 4 large baking potatoes from my 10-lb bag because they had rotted in the pantry. Argh. I need to stop buying 10-lb bags of potatoes because they always spoil.








    • I used a brown banana in my morning cereal on Sunday morning and a rubbery carrot in my black eyed pea soup on Sunday night.
    • I used a brown banana in my morning cereal on Monday and Tuesday mornings.
    • I used 2 old hamburger buns and 2 old hoagie rolls to make breadcrumbs on Tuesday.
    • I froze the ranch veggie dip that we didn't use at Christmas, as well as all the cheeses that we didn't eat and the one serving of meatloaf that was still in the fridge.
    • I added the 2-day leftover taco meat to some pasta for Greg's lunch on Tuesday.
    • On Tuesday I used up the container of ricotta cheese that I had bought in November to make lasagna. It was 2-weeks past its sell-by date and a little gummy but the lasagna turned out divine!
    • I used the last brown banana in my morning cereal on Wednesday morning.
    • On Thursday morning I used up half of the remaining strawberries that I had bought for our Christmas buffet.
    • I ate the last 3 clementines bought before Christmas.
    • On Thursday and Friday I sliced the rest of the strawberries remaining from the Christmas buffet into my morning cereal.
    • On Thursday, I used up the rest of the cauliflower from Christmas to make a stir-fry, and I finished all the clementines that were threatening to go bad.
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    6 comments:

    1. Well, at least you composted what you could. Think of it as savings on fertilizer for the garden!

      I really haven't kept track, but I tossed some rice which had been previously frozen and thawed. It wasn't spoiled or anything; I just didn't like the taste of it (what my neighbor had given) and didn't want to re-freeze it, as it had green peas and other things in it. I will have to throw the last bit of the tomato soup I bought from the grocery store, too - I had most of it, but the last bit has been sitting there for almost 2 weeks!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have a brick of cream cheese that I need to use up this week. I'd say you did ok considering all the bits and bobs that tend to hangover from the holidays, but I bet that packet of bacon hurt. I hate when I have to chuck meat. :(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It sure did, Laura, it sure did!

        Delete
      2. That's pretty good, Bless. Yes, sometimes we have to admit that we don't like the way something tastes and we have to toss it. It's unfortunate, but it happens. If that's the only waste you had, you did great!

        Delete
    3. I rarely have to toss fruit, but sometimes I'm too optimistic as to how many vegetables we'll actually eat. And yes, I should not buy big bags of potatoes! I really miss having cool cellars here.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's really annoying when the big 10-lb bags are cheaper than the smaller bags! I don't have anyone local that I could share a bag with so I just buy the big bag since even if I only use half, I still didn't spend as much as I would have if I bought a 5-lb bag!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!