- 2 Roma tomatoes (composted)
- The bottom of a bag of spinach (composted)
- 3 avocadoes (composted)
- a small cucumber (composted)
- a few carrot sticks (composted)
- a brick of Neufchatel cheese that I had defrosted but couldn't find when I needed it! (thrown away)
- most of a package of smoked bacon (arrgh! thrown away)
On Wednesday morning, I had to compost 4 large baking potatoes from my 10-lb bag because they had rotted in the pantry. Argh. I need to stop buying 10-lb bags of potatoes because they always spoil.
- I used a brown banana in my morning cereal on Sunday morning and a rubbery carrot in my black eyed pea soup on Sunday night.
- I used a brown banana in my morning cereal on Monday and Tuesday mornings.
- I used 2 old hamburger buns and 2 old hoagie rolls to make breadcrumbs on Tuesday.
- I froze the ranch veggie dip that we didn't use at Christmas, as well as all the cheeses that we didn't eat and the one serving of meatloaf that was still in the fridge.
- I added the 2-day leftover taco meat to some pasta for Greg's lunch on Tuesday.
- On Tuesday I used up the container of ricotta cheese that I had bought in November to make lasagna. It was 2-weeks past its sell-by date and a little gummy but the lasagna turned out divine!
- I used the last brown banana in my morning cereal on Wednesday morning.
- On Thursday morning I used up half of the remaining strawberries that I had bought for our Christmas buffet.
- I ate the last 3 clementines bought before Christmas.
- On Thursday and Friday I sliced the rest of the strawberries remaining from the Christmas buffet into my morning cereal.
- On Thursday, I used up the rest of the cauliflower from Christmas to make a stir-fry, and I finished all the clementines that were threatening to go bad.
I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.
This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.