I felt pretty bad last night so I snuggled on the couch and started reading my library book as it is due in 7 days. I need to listen to the past comments I have written on previous books written by John Lescroart and stop reading him because it was awful. I made it to half the book and then I couldn't take it anymore. What a preposterous, stupid story. I asked my son to return it to the library for me when he goes there tonight.
So then I picked up my e-library book ("In A Dark, Dark Wood" by Ruth Ware) and while I know that I haven't read it yet, it all sounds very familiar so I'm thinking I might not finish it either? We'll see. I went to bed at about 10 p.m. Greg had suggested I keep my door closed so I could sleep without a kitten bothering me, but the truth is that I love it when I get up to go to the bathroom and there is a little meow coming for the bed when I get back into it and Explorer comes to cuddle and purrs and then settles himself somewhere on my pillow where he has to make sure he touches my face at all times :) So I left the door open and he slept with me. I think he woke me up a lot and then I woke up to go to the bathroom a lot even though I had barely drank any water yesterday (but I had decaf instant coffee at night). I wasn't feeling well most of the night and wasn't feeling too good when I woke up, but I still drove my son to school. Greg is working from home today but didn't offer to get up early to take him :( Neither did anyone think to do the dishes last night when I wasn't feeling well. Woe is me!
So I'm taking it easy today. I'll post my To Do List but I don't expect to do anything except surf the web and read my e-book.
Greg's working from home because his daughter, son in law and grandson are in town for a couple of days (staying at a friend's) so he's going to meet them for lunch locally. I need to remember to give him the stuffed animal for the baby.
TO DO LIST
- Defrost meat for dinner Got the roaster out of the bottom of the fridge where it had started to freeze again. I'll roast it this afternoon.
- Read details of Diabetic Exchange program
- Do my foot exercises DONE
- Exercise (probably not today)
- Finish putting away Christmas decorations
- Find USB drive (NOT an SD card!) and clear it so Teen librarian to put photos of Youngest Son on it
- Read e-library book in progress
- Give library book to son for him to return for me DONE
- Assign the IRA contributions to specific funds - I did it for my traditional IRA. Greg to do it for his.
- Vacuum fridge coils
- Replace fridge water filter
- Finish decluttering under window seat in Exercise Room (on Thursday)
- Move missing Music files from External Drive to my Laptop
- Move/reinstall missing software on new laptop
- Trying syncing my phone on new laptop
- Clean litter box upstairs
- Add Osmocote plant food to rose and hibiscus bushes
- Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine
- Fill up jugs with rainwater
- Put all the laundry away
- Take Driscoll's surveys
- Take RaceTrac surveys
- Make lemon poppyseed muffins or/and lemon squares with the "grapefruits"!
- Pick the oranges
- Zest the oranges and freeze
- Move fonts from old laptop and reinstall on new laptop
- Take my measurements
- Sign up for Personal Capital?
- Email my French BFF
- Start French blog for my mom and sister?
- Inventory what I need to make new self-watering bins
- Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
- Prune the rose bushes
- Declutter exercise room shelves
- Write card to my great-aunt
- Mend at least one item from mending basket (Youngest Son's bag)
- Open savings account with Discover Bank
- Prep January Food Expenses post - DONE
- Research Florida Prepaid College Fund to see if can increase the contribution
- Youngest Son packed a lunch to take to school.
- Greg is working from home today so we'll be saving a lot in tolls and gas.
- The drive to school was swift, again, despite more fog and not feeling well. I played "Peter and the Wolf" by Prokofiev, which reminded me of the kids being little as we often played it in the car (the kids had the video of the Chuck Jones version and also the computer software, that i bought back in 1994 I think when Oldest Son was just a baby! It was the first computer program I ever bought for my kids). I have the CD of the performance below, you can listen to it with the cast dialogues or with just the music. This morning we listened to the music only :)
- I was able to give the kittens their medicine with a minimal amount of fuss, although it took me 3 tries with Explorer because he must have blocked the dropper with his tongue as the medicine just wouldn't get squirted into his cheek! But finally, I got it.
- I started working on Swagbucks as soon as I could. I left the automatic videos to play while I was taking my son to school. I got a pretty large Search award right off the bat, which helped (26 SB) and later on I was able to take a survey. I soon reached my 1st Daily Goal (107 SB) but my 2nd goal is a whooping 220 SB so I probably won't reach that. Also, my team is leading the Team Challenge so far :)
- I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits.
- Save A Lot emailed me that they're having a surprise 3-day sale that starts today! I might need to drag myself there this afternoon or tomorrow to get spare ribs for $1.29/lb for Greg. He loved the ribs I had cooked in the crockpot. I need to check how much room I have in the freezer and stock up!
- Kellogg's finally replied to my email from last week about the erroneous "free milk at Walgreens" email that they had sent and apologized for the confusion, saying that they're mailing me a coupon for a free product instead. Woohoo! Their website sucks but their customer service is usually pretty good.
- The weather is all gloomy today. It's only 70F in the living room. Despite all that, I didn't open the windows for the cats as I feel a little chilly, but I'm hoping we won't need to have the AC on today. We didn't have it on last night. Update: it got to 77F in the kitchen because I used the oven so I ended up turning on the AC on both sides of the house after dinner.
- I entered my weight into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned an additional 20 BR points.
- I need to remember this: save your Ramen flavor packets so you can use them on rice, popcorn, eggs, and other things. I make Chinese Cabbage Salad once in a while, that only uses the dry Ramen noodles so I always throw away the flavor packets!
- Colgate Customer Service replied to my email about the offensive subject line for their promotional email by apologizing and said they'll mail me coupons to make up for the one that failed to print.
- "Finding Dory" will be on Netflix on 2/1 :) And also "The Longest Day". I love that movie!
- There's going to be a new series on "Nature" on PBS starting next week, I think, whereby researchers are inserting robot animals in the midst of a pack/flock, equipped with a camera, so they can observe the behavior of the animals they're studying. I think that will be fascinating. It's called "Spy in the Wild". I put a reminder on my calendar to watch it when it's posted on their Roku channel, the next day.
- My BFF used to use an accountant to get her taxes done but she texted me this morning saying that she was going to try to do them herself with TurboTax this year since they're no longer as complicated as they used to be. I told her to check with her bank or insurance company to see if they offered a discount, as I get $20 off TurboTax if I use it via the USAA website. She was grateful to get the tip as she is herself a USAA member (I forgot that she told me she was). As for me, I'll do our taxes by hand since the last couple of years TurboTax gave me the wrong information on 2 separate issues :(
- I perused the ad previews for CVS and Walgreens next week and made a note of what to buy. Both will have their eggs on sale for $0.99 in my neck of the woods ($1.29 at Aldi this week, $1.49 at SAL!), and CVS will have a sale and store coupon on Colgate toothpaste that will make it free if you combine that with a newspaper coupon that should be in this Sunday's paper.
- I put the container of cat grass in the living room, on a bath towel and called Tabby Kitten over since I'd just caught him sniffing it on the breezeway counter. He seems to be enjoying it so far! The other kittens are napping and don't seem to want to be bothered. A little bit later... Princess circled the pot a couple of times and then went for it. I guess it's a hit! So far 2 out of 3 kittens would recommend. 2 paws up! A little bit later... Princess threw up the one blade of grass that she managed to ingest. Some people think that cats eat grass to make themselves throw up or because they need fiber. I just think they like to play with the unusual texture. Our kittens have eaten up ribbon before! Grass is safer because it won't get twisted up around their intestines :) Btw, Explorer also went to explore it, although he wasn't as mesmerized by it as the other two.
|Tabby Kitty loved it...|
|... so much! He played with it and chewed on it for a long time!|
|Explorer looked at him for a while, but decided he wasn't interested.|
|And Princess was taking a nap, oblivious to it all.|
|But then she woke up and had to come investigate. She enjoyed it too, although she threw it up, twice.|
|Finally, Explorer couldn't stand it anymore and came to investigate as well. He chewed on a piece for a little bit, but it didn't seem to be his cup of... oats. Ha.|
- I decided that, since I felt feverish, I would "feed the fever" ("starve the cold") and had 2 egg salad sandwiches for lunch, along with a can of Progresso Light Beef Barley soup with vegetables. Greg had last night's leftovers.
- I spent a long time researching various mutual funds with our brokerage firm. I already had a headache before I started and now it's worse. Grr. However, I was able to assign all the "cash" available in my traditional IRA (the 2016 and 2017 contributions that Greg made a few weeks ago) to specific mutual funds. Now I just hope they don't tank.
- My daughter's BFF's mom sent $20 via my daughter for gas money since my daughter's been giving rides to the BFF for the college classes they both take.
- I went to check the mail and there were big puffy clouds in the sky and the neighbor's azaleas have started to flower, but I didn't take any pictures because I didn't have my phone with me.
- For dinner I roasted one of the chickens I bought last week for $0.79/lb. I also baked the last 2 large Idaho potatoes and warmed up a can of no salt added peas, that I sprinkled with Italian Seasoning and a little bit of salt. I picked the meat off the bones after dinner and I saved the carcass in the fridge for now. I'll freeze it tomorrow if I feel better. Tonight I feel exhausted, even though I didn't do anything today.
- Swagbucks Customer Service credited me with the 60 SB that I was missing from the survey that I took this afternoon (see: Failures). This propelled me past my 2nd Daily Goal. Yay!
- Speaking of Swagbucks, I looked at my records and realized that I had already ordered a gift card in January so I might wait until 2/1 to order my next one so I only spend 2,200 SB instead of 2,500. I don't know that I'd be able to order another one in February anyway.
- to drive my son to school
- for my daughter to drive to her college class
- for Greg to pick our son up from the library
- I forgot to bring my coupon organizer with me this morning so I didn't get to stop by Publix to get the free cans of soup and Barilla pasta sauce. I'll need to remember to do that tomorrow. Since I don't feel too good, it's probably for the best.
- Greg was unable to go have lunch with his daughter as she apparently is also sick! They might be able to meet up on Saturday. On the frugal side of things, I guess it's a victory for us, though.
- I wanted to change the fund allocations in the IRA accounts that I have with my bank, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. GRRRR. Why is all of this so complicated?! It's ridiculous. I emailed them to ask for detailed instructions.
- I took a 60 SB survey, answered detailed and personal questions about my shopping habits, and was told I was disqualified once they got the info they needed. Grrr! I emailed Swagbucks about it.
MONEY SPENT TODAY
- $19.99 as a one-time fee for a mutual fund I was buying into.
- Gas for the family car: $12.68
- Kellogg's is mailing me a coupon for a free product.
- I will get a free tube of Colgate toothpaste at CVS next week (after coupons)
- A sheet of cat-themed address label from some cat rescue organization
- Fed the kittens
- Administered their medicine
- Took Youngest Son to school
- Took SB survey and met 1st goal
- Earned MS Rewards
- Caught up on blogs and news
- Cuddled with kitten
- Participated in several sweepstakes
- Replied to blog comments and commented on blogs
- Looked up ad previews and worked on my shopping list for next week
- Gave the cat grass to the kittens and enjoyed watching them interact with it
- Prepped my January Food Expenses post
- Researched several mutual funds in which to invest my IRA funds
- Emailed my bank to ask for help with IRAs
- Surfed the web
- Learned a new Excel "trick" from Greg
- Roasted the chicken for dinner
- Cooked the rest of dinner
- Gave the kittens their medicine
- Fed the kittens
- Set the dinner table
- Cleared the table (the dishes will have to wait until tomorrow)
- Played with the kittens with the laser pointer (oops, I wasn't supposed to make them run!)
- Sleep was not great as I wasn't feeling too good.
- Breakfast was a cup of Special K Vanilla Almonds and some blueberries, with some ~2% milk (I didn't measure).
- I was feeling hungry and nauseous at the same time so Greg suggested I ate saltines and drank ginger ale. So I did.
- Lunch was 2 egg salad sandwiches and a can of Light Beef Barley Soup with Vegetables.
- Afternoon snack was chocolate mint cookie candy.
- Dinner was 1/2 a chicken breast, some peas, half a baked potato with a little bit of light sour cream.
- Water consumption was not enough :(
- Exercise was skipped today again.
- Foot exercises were performed.
- For great customer service from Kellogg's.
- For Greg being solicitous when I wasn't feeling good last night and today.
- For the kittens' antics with the cat grass