Friday, January 27, 2017

Still Trying to Overcome This... Cold?! ~ Friday 1/27/17




I wish I could shake this... cold or whatever it is off.  I'm not terribly sick but I feel lousy and exhausted at all times, I have a dry cough, my throat hurts a little, I don't have a fever but I feel feverish at times, and this morning I was sneezing all over the place.  Yes, I'm whining :)

I fell asleep with the kittens on the couch at about 10 p.m. last night but when to bed when Greg did at about 11 a.m.  Poor Greg, he has a big deadline coming up so he worked all the way up until 11  p.m.  Meanwhile, I didn't do the dishes and felt like a big wimp.

I had an OK night. Explorer and Princess tried to wake me up at 5:30 a.m. and succeeded but then went back to sleep. When the alarm rang at 6:10 a.m., they were both still lounging on the bed when I got up and looked at me with sleepy eyes, wondering "why are you getting up already?!".  Taking a shower made me feel a little better but I started feeling under the weather again as I was driving home after taking my son to school :(

Greg went to work today.  This should be the Domestic Day that I never had this week but I think I'll take it easy again. I want to be able to go to the SteamPunk & Industrial Show with Youngest Son tomorrow as I had planned. This is really not my scene, but I think I can appreciate the artistry that goes into making all the accessories and, despite Youngest Son's protests, I know that he's intrigued by it all.  It'll be a mother-son outing in any case, and we'll go out to eat and get some fun snacks in Mount Dora again.  Oh yeah, my diet is blown this week.

OK, so on to my...

TO DO LIST
  • Defrost meat for dinner It's Tuna Patties night so I don't need to defrost anything.
  • Read details of Diabetic Exchange program 
  • Do my foot exercises 2X
  • Exercise
  • Finish putting away Christmas decorations
  • Find USB drive (NOT an SD card!) and clear it so Teen librarian to put photos of Youngest Son on it
  • Read e-library book in progress
  • Make sure Greg assigns specific funds to his IRA account 
  • Vacuum fridge coils DONE
  • Replace fridge water filter DONE
  • Finish decluttering under window seat in Exercise Room  DONE
  • Move missing Music files from External Drive to my Laptop 
  • Move/reinstall missing software on new laptop
  • Trying syncing my phone on new laptop
  • Clean litter box upstairs DONE
  • Add Osmocote plant food to rose and hibiscus bushes
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Fill up jugs with rainwater  DONE
  • Put all the laundry away DONE
  • Iron Greg's clothes
  • Take Driscoll's surveys DONE
  • Take RaceTrac surveys  DONE
  • Make lemon poppyseed muffins or/and lemon squares with the "grapefruits"!
  • Pick the oranges
  • Zest the oranges and freeze
  • Move fonts from old laptop and reinstall on new laptop
  • Read the 2 library travel books
  • Take my measurements
  • Sign up for Personal Capital?
  • Email my French BFF
  • Start French blog for my mom and sister?
  • Inventory what I need to make new self-watering bins
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Prune the rose bushes  DONE
  • Declutter exercise room shelves in progress
  • Write card to my great-aunt DONE
  • Mend at least one item from mending basket (Youngest Son's bag)
  • Open savings account with Discover Bank
  • Update January Food Expenses post 
  • Research Florida Prepaid College Fund to see if can increase the contribution
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts

SUCCESSES
  • Youngest Son packed a lunch to take to school.

  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.

  • The school drop-off went well again.

  • I was able to administer the kitten's medicine and they still don't completely hate me.

  • I remembered to let the Swagbucks automatic videos play while I took my son to school!

  • I reused the plastic sleeve from yesterday's newspaper to clean the upstairs litter box.

  • I took a 100 SB survey that took me beyond my 1st Daily Goal.  But then I took a 75 SB survey that told me, at the end, that I had been disqualified. I emailed Customer Service again.

  • My Swagbucks team is still in the lead so hopefully I'll get the 50 SB swag-up bonus. Update: we won!

  • I did remember to bring my coupon organizer with me when I dropped off my son and I was going to stop by Publix, until I remembered that I hadn't put the Barilla coupons in the organizer. Oops. I was annoyed, thinking that I'd have to do a special trip later on, which is a waste of gas, but then I remembered that I meant to go to Save A Lot to get the spare ribs on sale at $1.29/lb and that SAL wasn't even open yet, so I'd have to go back out anyway. So I'll go later to SAL, Publix and RaceTrac for a freebie.

  • When I woke up this morning there were 2 things I was dreading:
    • giving the kittens their medicine (it went ok)
    • having to do the dishes: I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher while Greg was in the shower and started it once he was done.  I still have pots and pans to wash but I'll do them with tonight's dishes. I'm glad I'm not having to dread to do this all day long :)

  • There was 1/2 a cup of coffee left over in the pot from yesterday morning so I had it mixed with fresh coffee from this morning.

  • I entered my weight into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned another 20 BR points.

  • I earned the maximum of Microsoft Rewards credits.

  • I decided to go to run my errands this morning so I left at about 9:15 a..m. but didn't come back until about 10:45 a.m. I didn't plan on being gone so long, but I went around Publix looking for great deals with sales/coupons/rebates. I didn't find much but I did OK :)
    • Save A Lot: the only spareribs that were on display were the Smithfield ones but they weren't on sale and all the package stickers had some damage.  I took a package to the cashier's where I spotted a sign about the "secret 3-day sale" with the $1.29/lb price mentioned and told her I'd gotten the email but those were the only spare ribs I saw (at $2.69/lb). She went to ask the meat cutter who told her he was in the process of packaging some to put on display but to go ahead and give me the Smithfield ones for $1.29/lb.  She rung me up and I spent $5.97 that I charged to my Amazon Visa card for 1% back in Rewards.

    • Publix: I was very disappointed (but not surprised!) to find the almost entire stock of "Yes to Well" Campbell soup depleted. There was a lonely can but since the sale was a BOGO sale, I needed 2 cans.  They were also still out of the Tabañero sauce.  Here is what I bought instead:
      • (3) 12-packs of Diet Coke with Lime.  They were on sale at "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" and I had coupons for (2) free 12-packs from MyCoke Rewards, up to $4.99. However, the 12-packs at my store were $5.49 (plus tax). Still, a very small price to pay for 36 cans of my favorite soda! Plus I'll redeem 30 MCR points with the codes.
      • (1) jar of Barilla pesto.  I was mistaken in thinking the coupon from PinchMe was for Barilla pasta sauce, it was for pesto :(  It was priced at $2.99 and was NOT on BOGO so I just got the one jar.  There was a recipe card that came with the coupon so I'll try that next week.  It was completely free to me with the coupon.
      • (1) 3.52 oz bottle of Truvia Nectar sweetener. It was priced at $2.99 but I had a $1.50/1 printable coupon AND there is a $2.00/1 Ibotta offer on it.  So I already knew that it'd be a moneymaker. However, at the register, the coupon wouldn't go through. The cashier was super nice and said everything matched so she just pushed it manually. I always enter my home phone number in the keypad, in case some digital coupons that I had uploaded apply, and sure enough, another $1.50 off coupon was deducted since she'd entered the printed one manually!  
      • She shrugged it off and my total ended up being $1.76 total.  
      • I charged it to my Amex for 3% back in Rewards.
      • However, I'm getting $2.00 back from Ibotta so this whole shop was free to me. Yay!
      • I'm usually not superstitious, but I was thinking that, apart from the whole You Know Who Became President, my family has had some good luck recently, so why not buy a lottery ticket. I had decided in my resolutions that I'd only buy 1 ticket per semester (I think?) but oh well. I always buy 20 advance drawings at $1 a drawing (2 drawings per week) and I let the computer pick the numbers because I don't believe in lucky numbers.  I've never had much luck at this kind of lottery so it's pure entertainment for me (dreaming of who I would help with the money if I won, which means my family members).

      • In the parking lot, I looked at my tires again, thinking that the back tires looked low again so I got my Dollar Tree tire gauge out and checked the air pressure of all 4 tires. Dang it, my back passenger tire was down to half of what it should be!  I'm thinking I might have a slow leak?  I probably should get it checked.

    • My next stop was RaceTrac.  As I approached the station, the air pump station looked busy but by the time I was able to turn into the parking lot, the people using it had left.  I parked there and went inside.
      • I redeemed a survey reward code for a free apple crumb muffin for my son's after school snack.
      • I asked them to turn on the air pump.  It's free to use but you have to ask them to remotely turn it on.
      • So I was able to refill my tire to the proper level.

  • So I think I did pretty well on my errands and feel better about the gas expense incurred for them!

  • After I put everything away, I came to the living room and realized that the kittens had knocked their bowl of cat grass sideways and some of the dirt had been spread on the carpet. So I ended up vacuuming the whole downstairs of the house, which apparently needed it quite a bit!  It feel nicer now and I feel domestic!

  • One of the big cats' cardboard scratcher was completely torn to shreds so I got the last one from my stock and recycled the old one.  The one I use had already been used on one side, but I turned it around so it could be used on the back side too :)

  • The kittens had run to hide because of the noise of the vacuum cleaner, but when I came to sit down, Explorer came out and brought me one of his toy mice and pretended to be a dog by retrieving it and bringing it back to me every time I would throw it on it other side of the room, lol. Eventually Tabby Kitty and Princess heard him running around and came out of hiding to play with him.

  • I submitted my receipt to Ibotta for the $2.00 rebate and they credited me immediately :)  

  • When I took pictures of my groceries, I realized that the weight of the package of ribs had been rubbed off the price sticker.  I checked my receipt and saw that the cashier had charged me for a 4.63-lb package, a weight she seemed to have plucked out of the ether because when I calculate the weight using the total price on the package and the full price per lb, I found that the package actually weighed 5.95 lbs! So I actually ended up paying $1.00/lb, woohoo!

  • My daughter left to go to her dad's for the weekend at about noon. I offered her a RaceTrac survey code so she could get herself a free hot dog for the road :)

  • Swagbucks Customer Service credited me with the 75 SB for the survey and propelled me beyond my 2nd Daily Goal, woohoo!


  • For lunch, I made myself a chicken sandwich with half a breast leftover from last night's dinner, a Sandwich Thin and some light mayo, and a spinach strawberry salad with some Ken's Light Raspberry Walnut dressing.  I drank a Diet Coke with Lime. Yum!

  • Today, the antenna and all the TV channels seem to work properly, so I listened to an episode of "The Rockford Files" while eating my lunch and typing the morning's recap.

  • I took a Customer Satisfaction Survey for Publix that was printed on my receipt. One day I might even win the $1,000 prize :)

  • CouponPro posted an offer to get 2 free tickets to see the latest Scorsese movie "Silence" so I texted Middle Son, a huge movie buff, to give him the heads-up.  However, he turned it down because he's not interested in the movie.

  • I redeemed the 3 codes from the packs of Diet Coke I bought this morning into MyCokeRewards. Might as well since they're ending the program soon.

  • I reused 4 cat litter jugs by filling them with rain water collected in my rain barrel last weekend. I will use the water on the garden if it doesn't rain soon.
Think I have enough water-filled jugs?!

  • I harvested 4 tomatoes from my garden and propped up a tomato plants laden with flowers with a tomato cage.

  • In decluttering part of the exercise room, I came across a couple of items that I will donate: a nice cookie tin and a baseball card sheet protector.  


And half a recycling bin worth of plastic container was filled and will be out of the house. Honestly, I don't even know why
I was keeping all of those!
These are the only things I kept: 4 spare spray bottles.

Oh and I found my blank CDs and DVDs!  I guess I didn't give them to Middle Son after all :)
  • I laminated the Staples Rewards card that I printed from their website to replace the one that my daughter lost. I used only part of a sheet of laminating plastic, even though the instructions are to always use the whole sheet (pfff!).

  • I reused an old binder full of sheet protectors to create a "State Park Maps" binder were I plan to keep the maps of all the parks we visit. This way, I'll just grab the binder when we go walk and if we've already visited, we can just reuse the same map.

  • I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and earned reward codes for 2 new freebies.

  • I took 2 Driscoll's surveys and reached the Gold Level!  I earned a $0.75/1 and a $1.00/1 coupon and from now until the end of the year, I'll earn a $1.00/1 coupon for each Driscoll's survey I fill out :)  Time to start shopping at Super Target again.

  • My bank's Consumer Support replied to my question about how to change my fund elections for my IRAs and even anticipated my next question about consolidating the 2 IRA accounts :)

  • For dinner I made tuna patties with 2 cans of tuna ($0.65 each), 2 eggs, some of the shredded cheddar from Aldi that I had bought before Christmas and some homemade breadcrumbs made with old hot dog and hamburger buns.  I also cooked a box of Rice a Roni that I had gotten for free and made another strawberry spinach salad with part of a $0.79 bag of spinach (from last week), some strawberries bought at $1.29 for the lb at Aldi this week, and I even through some walnut bits that I had bought on clearance at Target over a year ago and that have been in the fridge so they don't get too rancid.  We'll use Ken's Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette dressing on it, bought almost for free after BOGO sale, coupons and rebates.

  • I was going to order myself a new 1.5 qt Corningware casserole dish (see: Failures), and could have paid only $3.60 on Amazon after using my Discover Rewards and my $5 gift card.  However, I decided to wait until I have earned another $5 gift card so I can get it for free.

SPLURGES
  • Gas:
    • to take my son to school
    • and tolls for Greg to commute
    • to run errands
    • and tolls for my daughter to drive to her dad's for the weekend

  • A lottery ticket good for 20 drawings.

FAILURES
  • 75 SB survey didn't credit. I emailed Customer Service.

  • Publix was out of the Yes to Well Campbell's soup  and still out of the Tabañero hot sauce :(

  • Kids... so my daughter, about a couple of weeks ago, decided that she didn't want to wait until UF told her if she'd been accepted or not (their Decision Day is February 10) because she definitely wanted to study Web Design and it wasn't offered at UF, so she accepted UCF's offer and had to give them $200 as a "deposit" of sorts.  I had told her that I thought she should wait to hear from UF since she had already changed her mind about her major a couple of times, and Greg and I had been telling her that web designers are a dime a dozen and that most of them have to find themselves gigs, much like her brothers have to do with music and photography, something that she didn't want to have to do. But she insisted that "a lot" of companies had web designers on staff and that's what she wanted to do and that she didn't want to go to UF anymore.  So she got her dad to pay the $200 because that's just not an expense that I have paid for the other kids either. Well, last night at dinner, she announced that she wasn't so sure that she wanted to do web design anymore and that she was thinking about Computer Science again because all the job postings she had seen lately in the fields where she might want to work, seemed to require a Computer Science degree (web design falls under Digital Arts, not Computer Science).  So I told her she should have waited until she heard back from UF but that she probably could still change her mind but would have to forfeit the $200. She admitted that she hadn't even realized that going back to Computer Science would mean that, once again, she could consider UF, which is the school that she'd always wanted to attend.  Arrgh, sometimes, for someone so bright, she can be... not so bright.  So I'm not sure what she's going to do now.  If she were to go to UF, she would incur most expenses as her dad doesn't live there (so definitely a dorm expense with a roommate she doesn't know) and she would forfeit the $30.000 Provost Scholarship from UCF.  Of course, UF could still offer her a scholarship, but that school is more competitive than UCF so I'm thinking she probably won't get one even if she gets accepted. All in all, I just wish she had waited until she knew of UF's decision instead of rushing into something.  Plus, last night, she claims that I never told her to wait for UF's decision, but luckily a lot of our discussions had taken place at dinner and Greg was able to back me up that I had indeed advised her to do so on several occasions.  Arrgh.  Well just 2.5 weeks to wait until she hears back from them, and if it's a no, she can study Computer Science at UCF, I guess... It's not really a failure, but she did rush into a decision that didn't need to be rushed and that might end up costing her dad $200 for nothing.

  • My smaller Corningware round casserole dish cracked in the microwave as I was making Rice-A-Roni and I had to throw it away. Luckily, it was before I added the liquid so I was able to scoop the buttery rice mixture out of it and place it in my large casserole dish to finish cooking.


MONEY SPENT TODAY
  • Save A Lot: $5.97 (groceries)
  • Publix: $1.76 (groceries)
  • Publix: $20 (lottery tickets)

FREEBIES
  • My whole purchase at Publix ended up being free to me (three 12-packs of Diet Coke, a jar of pesto and a bottle of sweetener)
  • a muffin at RaceTrac with a survey reward code
  • free air for my tire
  • a hot dog at RaceTrac with a survey reward code

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Fed the kittens
  • Gave the kittens their medicine
  • Drove my son to school
  • Cleaned the upstairs litter box
  • Unloaded, reloaded the dishwasher and started it
  • Worked on my Rewards programs
  • Went to run errands
  • Put air in one of my SUV's tires
  • Put away the groceries
  • Vacuumed the whole downstairs
  • Replaced one of the cats' cardboard scratcher
  • Aired out the house
  • Played with a kitten
  • Submitted a receipt for a rebate
  • Chatted with my daughter
  • Entered my receipts into my spreadsheets
  • Wrote and mailed a card to a friend
  • Wrote and mailed a card to my great aunt
  • Entered codes in MCR
  • Submitted feedback on my PinchMe samples
  • Swept the leaves away from front of house and from front porch
  • Chased stray cats from the backyard
  • Pruned the rose bushes

  • Refilled the empty jugs with rain water
  • Harvested tomatoes
  • Put away the rest of the laundry
  • Added a cardigan to my pile of mending to do
  • Replaced the water filter on fridge
  • Vacuumed the fridge's coils
  • Decluttered the rest of the window seat storage area
  • Decluttered two shelves in the exercise room and part of the printer stand
  • Decluttered the coupon insert drawer
  • Laminated my "new" Staples Rewards card that I printed from their site
  • Took Customer Satisfaction surveys
  • Chatted with Youngest Son
  • Sent a happy birthday email to my brother
  • Gave the kittens their medicine
  • Cooked dinner
  • Set the dinner table

HEALTH
  • Sleep was adequate.
  • Breakfast was a cup of Special K Vanilla Almond with a 1/3 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of ~2% milk.
  • Lunch was a chicken sandwich and a strawberry spinach salad.
  • Afternoon snack was a sleeve of saltines and a 100-cal pack of SlimFast baked chips... and then I tore into the saltwater taffy :(
  • Dinner was tuna patties, riceroni and strawberry spinach salad with walnuts
  • Water consumption was well hmm, I drank Diet Coke with Lime!
  • Exercise was skipped again. I'll start again this weekend. I did manage to walk 11,365 steps as of 8:30 p.m., according to my fitness tracker.
  • Foot exercises were performed.
GRATITUDE
  • For another cool day
  • For great deals at the store and friendly cashiers and customer service attendants
  • For my daughter driving safely to her dad's house
  • For cute and cuddly kittens

KITTENS

Morning gathering at the cat grass corner :)

I'm training them for the circus, ta-dah!

So Tabby Kitty stole that fuzzy sock from my bedroom yesterday and it's been his favorite toy ever since.  Here he was cuddling it and throwing it up in the air. He's too funny!
Tonight I feel better but still tired.  I hope I'll be over this completely by the end of the weekend; just in time for my period to start. Yay. Not.

10 comments:

  1. You got some great deals. I am glad you are starting to feel better. I am improving too. I can drive with both eyes open, but I still can't look in rear view mirror. I can't turn my eyes up or to the right without double vision. But I did teach all this week. There are some improvements but hard to describe. Specialist saw improvement too. Go back to him in 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, now I really feel like a wimp... look at you teaching all week with all those problems! Still, I'm so glad that your condition is improving! Were you given a definite diagnostic? I would urge you, though, Sandie, to avoid driving in that condition as it doesn't sound very safe, both for you and other drivers. Can you look in the left side mirror? Do you have any peripheral vision? I'm sorry if I sound harsh and I know how limiting it would be without access to a car. But I'd hate for you to get into an accident, especially with the bad weather you guys are having in the Northeast. Take care! ((HUGS))

      Delete
  2. I stopped doing all surveys for swagbucks, when I realized I was wasting time doing pre-surveys only to be turned down for the real ones. Brutal. I definitely can make better use of my time.

    My daughter is going to be 19 in April and is unsure of what to do school-wise. She is working (she graduated this past June)at least but she is up in the air about what to do. All her choices are art based however she cannot or will not make a decision. She has struggled with some mental health issues and her moving away to a big city (she grew up in a tiny town) like Toronto freaks me out. I want her to go to college or university of course but I do not want to push her too quickly. Being a parent is such a balancing act...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it?! And yet, our job is to be their parent first, not their friend. Everyone's definition of what being a parent entails is different, but my and Greg's view is: once you're 18, we're done raising you. We've given you the tools and suggestions to prepare you to be an adult, and now it's time for you and spread your wings. Make mistakes, experience life, learn from your mistakes, and don't think that mom and dad are always going to be here to fix things for you (although of course we won't let them live under a bridge or starve but we're not telling them that!).

      Now... when mental health issues are part of the equation, then the equation has to change, of course. I would also be very iffy about pushing a mentally fragile person to move to a very large city if they've only ever lived at home and need support. Is there a way for her to take classes online? Or is there something akin to our state colleges (formerly community colleges) that are much smaller and prepare you to then go on to a larger university?

      I'm ambivalent about my kids' choices of careers. For one I love the Arts, and yes, I think they're important and I'm terribly proud of my kids' artistic talents. But as a parent, I also worry about them spending the rest of their lives in debt and always having to scrounge for a "gig". But it's their lives so I try not to interfere and support their choices. I mean, look at me, being a SAHM anyway. And neither their dad nor Greg actually work in the fields in which they obtained their diplomas (Linguistics for my ex, and Psychology for Greg) and both work in the computer field and make pretty good money, so maybe there's hope :) Or maybe they'll become a famous Jazz trumpet player, photographer, and whatever it is that my daughter will end up deciding to do! As for Youngest Son, his plan is to live at home as long as he can and it was my great surprise to discover this past week that Greg is actually encouraging this! Whaaaat!? I don't think so. Spread your wings and go study something, somewhere, and take several cats with you (but not my kittens)... LOL.

      Good luck to your daughter. It's tough, in this day and age, I think, with all the social media putting pressure on the kids all the time. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that when I was 18-19.

      Delete
  3. Our lovely kids, huh? lol I teach at the high school level, so thankfully my Taylor saw from both sides how the choosing a school process goes (unfortunately, she didn't get to make it that far - she was starting the process when she got sick during her Junior year from donating blood through the Red Cross's blood drive and had to finish the remainder of her year on homebound due to her illness. She completed her senior year while in the hospital, but graduated 1 week before she passed away due to the illness turning autoimmune - LONG story). Anyway, on a lighter note, when they are that age, parents are just plain silly and have NO idea what we are talking about - even the best kid thinks that! lol It will work out in the end, I'm sure. I must say though, if I was the parent that gave her the cash to make that deposit (that could have waited) and she ends up NOT going with the program, I'm afraid I would insist on being paid back. Thankfully, that is not your battle here! Good call, Mom! Your daughter does seem to be a very bright young lady with a good head on her shoulders. From a high school teacher prospective, you have NO idea how much I (we) appreciate how you are trying to teach your kids "life lessons/skills" and holding them accountable. This will go farther than ANY degree EVER will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Taylor sounds like an extraordinary person: donating blood, obtaining her high school degree while she was in the hospital... Wow.

      I doubt my ex will have her refund him the money, but I agree with you. Honestly, I think that if she's not going to be going for Computer Engineering (what she wanted to do originally), then she'd be much better off going to UCF, where not only she has a scholarship but also where she could live at her dad's rent free for as long as she needs to. So we'll see what happens if she gets accepted to UF. Just 10 short days to wait :) Now our summer trip is also up in the air because she's thinking that she might want to take calculus at the state college this summer since higher math requires her to study a little harder and she had elected not to take it this semester when she had decided NOT to do Computer Science... We decided to wait until she hears from UF before she makes any more decisions, lol.

      I think you must have much patience to be a high school teacher! What do you teach, if you don't mind me asking? I could never do what you do, not in a million years. Kudos to you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words! My girl also achieved Black Belt status in mixed martial arts (My husband is a 3rd degree black belt, I am at brown - we enjoyed it together, for sure).

      I have actually have taught all grades k-12, but I prefer high school, hands down! LOVE it! I have all of the patience in the world with my students...it is the adults who I work with that are quite taxing! lol I mainly teach English I-IV, although I am certified to teach Science, History and a few other things thrown in! lol I work mainly with students who have special needs and a variety of ability levels. My first 7 years of teaching, I taught students who had behavioral and emotional disabilities, which I love, but I had to have a break! It's mentally (and physically, at times, when having to restrain them from hurting themselves or others) draining! I have been pondering going back to school again (at 40 years old)to study Education Law. I have a Masters in Education, so I am in the process of seeing what more would be involved, course-wise. Grad classes are extremely pricey!

      Delete
    3. Good luck with your decision about grad school, Joy!

      Delete
  4. I can understand your frustrations about your daughter's college decision making... It's tough when you are young and impulsive; sometimes you make hasty decisions that cost money. However, I'm of the attitude that it's much better to do stuff like that when you are young (as compared to when you're older and you have a family to support, etc.). Eventually it will all get sorted out. One of my co-workers has a degree in music and now works with me at an engineering firm, proofreading reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course. But I get frustrated when I see her making rash decisions that she could have avoided if she had made a pros and cons list and used her head instead of being so impulsive and emotional, you know? Right now she's thinking that if UF accepts her, she will go to UF and forego the $30K UCF scholarship and the free housing at her dad's because she back to thinking she doesn't want to live at her dad's and I'm telling her it's going to take her possibly years to repay whatever loans she may have to take but because she's never been through the pain of having a large debt to repay and having to do without other things that she might want in the meantime, she thinks it's not as big of a deal as I make it. Ugh. But it's her life, right? But still, ugh :)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!