Monday, January 2, 2017

This Week's Dinner Plans: Monday January 2 through Sunday January 8, 2017


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

Well I haven't actually made a menu in the past few weeks (oops!) but I'm getting back to it!  I'm actually excited that I was able to put a menu together that will use up quite a few things that we need to use up before it goes bad, and items that were bought for Christmas that we didn't use.  

I also chose crockpot recipes for those days when I will be busy (Wednesday's grocery shopping and Saturday's visiting with Middle Son) and an easy recipe for Friday and Sunday nights when I don't typically feel like cooking.  

MONDAY: Tuna Patties, Pasta, with a Side Salad
  • From the freezer:  nothing
  • From the pantry: can of tuna, oil, box of pasta
  • From the fridge: bread crumbs, shredded cheddar, homemade breadcrumbs, butter, parmesan, salad dressing, rest of the grape tomatoes, rest of the cucumber
  • Need to harvest: lettuce
  • Need to make in advance: mix a batch of Dijon Vinaigrette salad dressing
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Ground Turkey Lasagna with Biscuits
  • From the freezer:  2 lbs ground turkey, shredded parmesan cheese, marinara sauce
  • From the pantry:  onion, herbs, no bake lasagna noodles
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, block of mozzarella, ricotta cheese, can of biscuits
  • Need to harvest: rosemary
  • Need to make in advance: Shred mozzarella, assemble lasagna (bakes for 40 minutes)
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Chinese Pork Roast (in Crockpot) and Rice with Stir-Fried Carrots and Cauliflower, with Biscuits 
  • From the freezer: pork loin roast
  • From the pantry:  rice, vegetable oil, onion, low sodium soy sauce, dark brown sugar, Chinese five-spice powder
  • From the fridge: baby carrots, rest of the cauliflower, minced garlic, squeezable ginger, any leftover biscuits
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Crockpot Recipe**
  • Need to buy: nothing

THURSDAY: Rutabaga Casserole and Pan Grilled Chicken Breasts
  • From the freezer: diced rutabaga, boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • From the pantry: white sugar
  • From the fridge: baby carrots, butter, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Butternut Squash Soup, Grilled Pepperoni and Cheese Sandwiches
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry:  butternut squash, onion, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, salt, pepper
  • From the fridge: Better Than Bouillon (chicken), light sour cream, bread, pepperoni slices, rest of the wedge of marinara pepperoni cheese, American cheese, butter
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  cook butternut squash in the morning, peel when cold
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY: Black Eyed Peas and Garlic Summer Sausage in Crockpot
  • From the freezer: Buttermilk Cornbread
  • From the pantry: nothing
  • From the fridge: black eyed peas that have been soaked, garlic summer sausage, Better Than Bouillon (chicken), celery
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Crockpot Recipe**
  • Need to buy: carrots

SUNDAY: Blue-cheese Stuffed Burgers and Baked Potatoes
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry:  baking potatoes
  • From the fridge: blue cheese slices, hamburger buns, shredded cheese, butter
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Nathalie,
    Just cheering you on as we start our diet for the second day. Today I'm really concentrating on drinking 8 glasses of water, moving and 30 grams of fiber....and not snacking on the Christmas goodies still lingering ( : Good Luck!!!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bonnie! So nice for you to check in! How did you do today? Were you able to resist the goodies? What's the plan for them since your son has forsaken all unhealthy food?

      I resisted the goodies, biked on my recumbent bike for 46 minutes (but not too fast!), drank 2 cups of coffee and 5 cups of water so far. I wasn't shooting for fiber but I ate 26g and MyFitnessPal tells me my goal should be 25g so yay! However I went over on sodium and I really want to limit that so I'll need to be more careful tomorrow.

      I hope you have a great evening!

      Delete
    2. Nathalie.. i did quite well today lots of water and fiber... I "budgeted" for a goodie and had moderation instead of a plateful...Lol Goodies are almost gone hoping my husband will munch on the last few ( : Sweets are my downfall! I can see why you like microsoft... you are done instead of messing with swagbucks all day.. and now they seem to be really limiting some of the activities in ncarve and ngage.

      Delete
    3. Woohoo, good for you! All that and you got to have a treat as well! Greg hasn't gone back on his diet so he's being my human trash can for now :) Sweets, bread and cheese are my downfalls. I could live on bread alone. Ugh.

      I was really lucky with SB yesterday and today as I got a lot of SB with nGage (2 videos for 4 SB for quite a while) and then nCrave that was playing automatically almost all afternoon, I only had to reload the screen every 40 videos or so. I expect this will dry up soon though, it can't last. On the Collector's Bill side of thing, I got the 5 SB bill twice and that's it. So much for "higher Search Awards during Collector's Bill Week"!

      Btw, Greg told me "I only had 3 new videos in my "Top Stories" today (talking about MS Rewards) so I had to do individual searches to earn my 150 credits. To be clear, you can click on the same pictures every day and you will earn credits every day. You don't have to keep track of which ones you might have already clicked on another day. However, if you click on the same picture twice in the same day, you won't earn that credit twice.

      Delete
  2. I started writing out a monthly meal plan and have already deviated from it, haha. I need to make a butternut squash soup sometime soon. Are these still the squash you got at Aldi in the fall? Mine are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Well I still have 3 of them and 1 is from Publix and 2 from Aldi. I was thinking "I should have bought more!". I still have both my pumpkins from October as well!!! I'll need to add pumpkin soup to the menu at some point. I still have pumpkin puree from 2015 in my freezer too.

      I thought you didn't like to plan in advance? Weren't you just making a list of possible meals with what you have on hand and then deciding day by day what you felt like cooking?

      Delete
    2. Yes. But then I got caught up in the pantry challenge and tried to list things out each day. Not successful. I actually was just telling myself that a list to choose from is what I know works, so why am I trying to mix it up?!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nathalie! Your recipes sound good! I like how you've broken down where your items come from; what you need to do in advance, etc. That really helps in the planning. I'm making weekly menu plans myself--used to faithfully do it every week when my boys were young but as they aged things changed.
    In another comment you said you had never been to San Diego...I've never been to Paris. You win! πŸ˜€
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL :)

      When I do those menus, I inventory my fridge, and then think of dishes that I could make with what I have on end. Usually I find a recipe (either online or something I've made before) that sounds good and if I don't have what is needed, I substitute for something that I do have. For instance, I'm thinking about making a Rice Noodle Chicken Soup for my lunches and it calls for spinach. I don't have that but I have canned mustard greens that have almost no sodium so I'll substitute for that. Most of the time, you can't really tell (well, I can't!). Doing the list in such a way (pantry, freezer, etc.) helps me get organized. I print the menu like this, remove all the lines with "nothing", bold the "Freezer", "Harvest" and "Make in advance" lines so I pay attention to them, and then it's a matter to take a look at my menu every morning to see what I need to do. It usually works very well for me. When I don't do a menu, we eat meat and starches and nothing else, really. It's boring and more unhealthy than my menus and I waste food and money because then we end up ordering in a lot.

      What's on your menu for the week, Judy? How was your visit with the grandchildren?

      Delete
    2. Time with my kiddos is always well spent! We did a few of the museums at Balboa Park. Weather was gorgeous...mid 80's! (The following day it rained!) But, my heart is broken because I found out they're leaving for Colorado (a move) on the 11th of this month. That's about 3 months earlier than planned. To say I am sad is an understatement :(.
      As to meals...this weeks menu: spaghetti, beans & rice, Greek pasta salad, tofu jambalaya, "meatball" sandwiches, chili, Mexican pasta salad, taco soup. Always subject to change. Like Saturday is youngest sons b'day (29!! 😧) and we'll go out for a meal.
      I am leaning towards as simple as possible, starch and plant based. Anything that seems to have meat is the fake stuff. I'm trying to get away from that, too. My only oven is an "easy bake" so it's hard at times to cook certain foods, but I make do. (And I'm getting tired of that!). I'm planning Sunday to Sunday for some reason.
      Thanks for inspiring me to start doing this again. The hit and miss way wasn't working!

      Delete
    3. Oh that's a tough break, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you plan on going to Colorado?

      Great job with your menu! Are you going off meat because of frugality, health, or philosophical reasons? One of my brothers is a vegetarian.

      Happy early birthday to your son! I have 2 sons celebrating birthdays in January and a brother as well (the vegetarian as a matter of fact). It's scary when our kids get "old", isn't it?! My "baby" just asked me how to use the iron because he's ironing his own clothes tonight. Sob.

      Delete
    4. And happy birthday to all the men in your life! Yes, a child getting older is scary! Where did the time go? I like to iron...hope your son dies too! Think of it as more kitten time!
      A few years back I was actually eating as a vegan. Peer pressure (pretty dumb at my age but these people were ruthless--think police) made me stop and it's been a hard climb up. I think I'm doing it for health reasons but the animals will hopefully benefit too. I just know I don't feel so great when I eat animal products. I have fibromyalgia and it tends to flare up. So to feel better I don't mind giving up things to eat.
      Colorado...eventually...maybe...not sure if I'd move or not. Visit--definitely. I'm not a cold weather girl, but I don't want to give up my grands. Things to ponder.
      Have a good night. Judy

      Delete
    5. Awww, you sound like the kind of grandma my maybe future grandkids ought to have :) And not a cold weather girl here either. There's a reason why we live in Southern California and Florida despite the earthquakes and hurricanes, right?

      Delete
  4. A week of really yummy sounding meals, Nathalie. I haven't decided what I am cooking this week! Late last night, my daughter and I made a pot of chicken noodle soup, using a mix one of my nieces gifted me and a chicken breast from the freezer (the last of the gift of frozen food from my supervisor!). I had a bowl of that for my lunch today, along with a small piece of love cake! Dinner might be leftover milkrice with some sambol. Or another bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the love cake taste better to you today? It sounds so delicious. I love soup! I think I want to make soup for lunch every day. It's easy and I have a whole cookbook of soup recipes. I always end up making the same 2 recipes but I should try to diversify this month, yet another goal!

      Delete
  5. Sadly, I'm not big on meal planning. I know that's my big downfall. But I tend to make large (really large) meals on the weekend, and we are big fans of leftovers.

    I made a big pot of 15-bean soup with the leftover ham bone from Christmas Day that will last me for another meal or two, and I have lasagna in the freezer (left over from Christmas Eve). One evening it will be salad and garden burgers, and for another evening I have a frozen pizza.

    In my defense I have to add that I was much better at planning and cooking meals when we still had kids living at home. Getting older and having an empty nest is highly underrated, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope that when Greg retires technology will have caught up the fantasy of the science fiction movies and we'll be able to just say "I want filet mignon, rare! And some sweet potato casserole on the side!" and it'll appear on our plate like magic. I would use artificial intelligence for that!

      I like the idea of making a couple of big dishes on the weekend and then eating the same thing every day. Greg and I love leftovers and he only ate tuna and rice when I met him so I think we could definitely live with that!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!