It's not as cold as yesterday, this morning, but the heat is still kicking on and I drove my son to school again. Today I brought along a Vivaldi CD. Neither Youngest Son nor I enjoy DJ chit-chat on the radio in the mornings and he doesn't like to talk at all while I hate the silence and I get really mad at bad drivers. I don't have any music on my phone at the moment so a CD was the best choice and Vivaldi really helps keep me mellow. I even let people go in front of me when I was in line :)
Today's the day I take New Kitty to the vet's for her appointment and hope that they've received the kitten food that I had ordered a couple of weeks ago. That and the large bag of cat food for the older cats. So today is going to be an expensive day!
Daughter has her first day of class today. This semester again she is taking 2 classes online and 2 classes at the state college. She needed more electives to finish her A.A. so she is taking Public Speaking (which she is already a pro at, thanks to FFA's Parliamentary Procedure and Debate teams and the Optimist Club Oratorical contests that she participated in), Introduction to Humanities, Art Appreciation. and Astronomy. Her BFF has the same schedule, if not the same classes, so they'll be driving together and hanging out at the library working on their homework in between classes (they have a large gap).
Greg's still refusing to go to the doctor's or even try the video call thingie with a nurse practitioner. He started following my advice, a couple of nights ago, of gargling with saltwater and said it really helped so he's doing that at night. I forgot to ask him how his throat was this morning, we saw each other in passing as I was coming back from the high school and he was leaving for work.
I did so much yesterday that it might look like I'm going to be a slacker today, but I don't think I'm up for having another manic day like yesterday. However, there are things I want to try and accomplish. so here is my...
TO DO LIST
- Watch "Sherlock" while putting the laundry away DONE
- Put the laundry away in progress
- Take New Kitty to the vet's DONE
- Pick up kitten and cat food order DONE
- Work on my shopping list for tomorrow DONE
- Cook the rest of the bacon
and freeze itDONE
- Take recycling down to the curb (tonight) DONE
- Deduct cost of Greg's liquor stock-up from next month's grocery budget
- Read details of Diabetic Exchange program
- Do my foot exercises 3 X DONE
- Exercise DONE
- Finish putting away Christmas decorations
- Wipe out a USB stick for library
- Look into which IRA account still needs to be funded
- Remind Greg to transfer money into the last IRA account
- Update my IRA spreadsheet DONE
- Update my Net Worth spreadsheet and share with Greg
- Make note of when stock options are vesting in 2017 and put detailed alerts in the calendar
- Create spreadsheet to calculate our Personal Savings Rate in 2017
- Dust Cat Room
- Vacuum fridge coils
- Declutter under window seat in Exercise Room
- Take Driscoll's and RaceTrac surveys DONE
- Harvest lettuce for dinner DONE
- Inventory seeds for Spring, add what we need to shopping list for tomorrow DONE
- Continue moving my music library to the new laptop
- Go to CVS to get the Diet Dr. Pepper? DONE
- Watch new Jim Gaffigan show "Cinco" on Netflix with Greg (comes out today) DONE
- Preserve the peppers and beans that I harvested DONE
- Clean litter box upstairs
- Scheduled 60K Maintenance appointment for the Ford Focus (Monday?)
- Youngest Son packed a lunch to take to school. He will ride the bus home, although I just remembered that I was supposed to go to CVS... I might just do that this morning.
- I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work: another chicken sandwich with a free packet of mayo from RaceTrac on the side, a hard-boiled egg, a yogurt. Nothing exciting today, I'm afraid! Oh and a Diet Dr. Pepper :)
- I clipped a Boxtop label from the box of cereal that Youngest Son finished this morning and added it to my little stash that I will mail to our elementary school in the Spring. I didn't save the bag because I have a large stash of them and I haven't been buying meat that I need to freeze. I feel bad about throwing those away lately but I can't become a hoarder just because I feel bad about throwing away the cereal bags!
- Dinner tonight will be the rest of the turkey lasagna that I had cooked (and frozen) last week and a salad made with lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. So no cooking for me tonight and we're using up leftovers. Yay!
- I input last night's exercise into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned 120 BR points.
- I earned the Microsoft Rewards credits for the day. I'm trying to earn Swagbucks but it's slow going, I didn't qualify for the 3 or 4 surveys that I attempted and my 1st Daily Goal is 70. I don't think I'll reach it.
- I stretched the milk by adding 1/2 a gallon of water to 1/2 a gallon of whole milk.
- I turned off the heat at 9 a.m.
- I reused water collected in the dehumidifier to try and water my poor, dying seedlings (see "Failures"!)
- I harvested lettuce for tonight's salad.
- New Kitty was very worried about her vet visit and very vocal in the car and as we entered the building. Then she got very quiet but when we got into the examining room, it smelled bad and I thought someone had farted badly before we got there. But when the tech went to get her out of the carrier (I had removed the top), we realized that New Kitty had pooped in her carrier! She was so worried she really was "scared shitless"! Poor kitty, so we cleaned up and the tech brought a towel that she had sprayed with pheromones to help calm her down. I think it worked because then she was OK. We had to wait for the vet for 30 minutes so I leaned on the examining table where we had put the carrier with her in it and she started cuddling with me and rubbing all over me and purring like she was a kitten! I have got to get me some of that stuff! On the way home, she was back to being vocal again. She was very happy to be home!
- Turned down the fecal analysis (not mandatory) and nail clipping at the vet's. They charged me $11 last time they had "offered" this when in the past they had never charged for it so I'm not falling for that again. The kids clip the cat's nails and I pay them $4 per cat :)
- Turned down vet's suggestion of putting New Kitty on yet another type of food as the others. He suggested putting her on a high fiber food with urinary support since it's even lower in calories as the "Urinary S.O. Moderate Diet" food they're on right now. She's only 10.5 lbs so she's not overweight and the kittens do eat the big cats' food once in a whole and once they stop eating the kitten food, I would assume they wouldn't need to go on a reduced calorie diet just yet. I want ONE type of food for all the cats. So I decided to keep doing what we're doing now and reassess in a year or two. The larger cats do need more exercise but they like to just lie there.
- I stopped by CVS on my way home since it was only 61F and New Kitty would be fine in the car while I ran in. They had the Diet Dr. Pepper in stock (yay!) and I also grabbed a gallon of milk on sale and a bag of chocolate covered cherries that was on the 75% off table so I would have a little sweet to give to Youngest Son for his birthday... completely forgetting, until now, that he requested donuts instead of a cake so he'll have lots of sweets. Damn. Maybe I'll give the chocolates to my BFF when I see her next. She needs lot of pick-me-ups these days. Anyhoo, I used up my $13 in ECBs and paid the $20.80 OOP with my CVS gift card earned via our USAA Visa Rewards program so it was all free to me AND I received $10 back in ECBs. Woohoo. However, I had an unpleasant encounter with the cashier, more under "Failures".
- When I got home, I found an email CVS had sent me just a few minutes earlier with a coupon for $2 off my next purchase, without a restriction that what I bought had to be at the regular price. I had hoped to be done with my CVS shopping for the week, but that's $2 in free stuff so I looked at the ad again and decided that I will go to my regular CVS store tomorrow and purchase 2 cans of Campbell's soup that is on sale at 2 for $3. I went to the Campbell's website and printed a coupon for $1.00 off 2 cans of Campbell's Homestyle soup so it should be completely free to me, woohoo! (the coupon from the newspaper insert was for $0.45/3).
- I put the cat carrier towel that had been soiled and that I had washed outside to dry so I wouldn't have to run the dryer for just one towel.
- I opened the windows at about noon :)
- For lunch, I had the rest of the split pea soup from last night. It was more than one serving but I ended the day with a big calorie credit (over 500 calories!) so I decided to report some of them to today. I also had an "egg salad" sandwich that used up the last hard-boiled egg before it spoiled, on a Sandwich Thin (bought on BOGO with coupons at Publix), and a Dole Mixations fruit cup.
- Someone on Slickdeals posted the free shipping code for MVC Kohl's card holders, that starts tomorrow: FREE4JAN.
- Auntie Anne's sent me an offer for a BOGO pretzel in their app. My daughter and son might be interested in that.
- I follow my library system's RSS feed for library news and they posted a survey on SurveyMonkey about our use of the library and what improvements we would like to see. I requested a larger facility for my location, more interesting e-books (right now it's mostly romance or fantasy selections), for them to bring back inter-library loans (we lost that when the Recession hit back in 2008), and more programs such as knitting, crochet and other instructional programs that are offered in Mount Dora but not here. I suppose that I really should join the Friends of the Library :)
- I fired up my old laptop and printed a few coupons from there.
- I researched the local CoinStar machines since I want to go "cash out" my 2016 Change Jar tomorrow. The one at Winn Dixie offers the option to pick an e gift-card without incurring any fees at way more locations than the one at Walmart. So guess where I'll be going? Plus it's not out of my way like Walmart is (a little). I'll get an Amazon e-gift card.
- I folded the laundry while watching the latest episode of "Sherlock" on PBS via my Roku (free). Since the show takes much longer than folding the laundry and I felt tired and the weather had gotten very overcast, sapping me of the rest of my energy, I decided to relax on the futon and watch the rest of the show with a cup of decaf coffee.
- My son rode the school bus home. He doesn't have any library activities today so there's no need for my to drive him anywhere else.
- I made an appointment for my son to take the Learner's Permit Written Exam next week. Scary! I had to email the teacher who taught the TLSAE class back in November because I thought I had seen some communication saying that we wouldn't get a certificate of completion but that they would file it with the DMV online, but I can't find the correspondence and the list of documents that we have to bring to the appointment includes that darn certificate. I hope she replies!
- I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and received codes for 2 new freebies.
- I also took 2 Driscoll's surveys, earned two more $0.75/1 coupons and I'm 2 steps closer to being a Gold Level member again.
- I was going to inventory my seeds to see what I might need to buy at Dollar Tree but I have lots of seeds, both purchased and collected from my own plants and really, all I'm going to grow this summer will be herbs, beans, tomatoes, and jalapeños and I will do with what I have.
- I reused the water in which the lettuce had been "resting" to water my potted jasmine and one rose bush.
- The salad for dinner tonight is made of lettuce and tomatoes from the garden and the extra grape tomatoes from Aldi, along with cucumber slices (Aldi) and some croutons that I had gotten for just pennies, I believe, after rebate, at Publix. I still have some homemade dressing that Greg and I will use on ours and my daughter will use some of the Ken's Light Raspberry and Walnut dressing that I bought on BOGO a couple of months back.
- I lucked out with videos that played themselves this afternoon and actually did meet my 1st Daily Goal for Swagbucks!
- Greg and I watched the latest Jim Gaffigan stand-up special, "Cinco", on Netflix.
- I exercised for free at home by using my recumbent bike while catching up on blogs and listening to 1.5 episode of "Frasier" on Netflix.
- I didn't do as much as yesterday but I'm exhausted! I'm going to comment on a couple of blogs and then I'll probably head off to bed.
- Gas to drive my son to school.
- Gas and tolls for Greg's commute.
- Gas for my daughter to drive herself and BFF to the state college and back.
- The heat was on last night and this morning.
- Ran the washing machine with hot water to wash the soiled towel from the cat carrier.
- It will be in the 40s again tonight so I closed the windows and turned the heat back on at 6 p.m. It won't come on just yet, it's still 69F in the house and I have the heat to come on at 67F.
- Not a splurge yet, but I've decided that next time chicken goes on sale, I'm going to stock up even if it means going over budget because I think I'm low on it. I'm definitely out of chicken breasts. We like chicken a lot.
- Well that'll teach me for procrastinating so long and not transplanting the seedlings I started last Fall: the kittens have completely mangled and chewed on them. They've trampled them, dug them out. I went to water them and I did anyway but I have little to no hope of them surviving :(
- Some critter dug out at least one of my daffodil bulbs...and it had started to germinate too! I put it back in the ground.
- I'm steaming mad. I went to CVS and got the Diet Dr. Pepper and other items loaded in my cart. This isn't my regular CVS store but I've never had a problem at that store before. The cashier was a little old lady who proceeded to ask me whether I intended to resell the Diet Dr. Pepper. I said no, that my husband loved it so I was stocking up. She went on to tell a story about "a guy" who had bought "a cartful" of it and told her he was reselling the cans in his store at $3 a can. I reiterated that I wasn't reselling them. She started telling the story again to the people waiting in line behind me, but this time the story became that he was a "hispanic guy" and had "two cartfuls" and resold them for "$4 a can". She went on to declare that if it was
"the Tampa store", he would have been banned. I was trying to check out so I was only listening to her with one ear and the "hispanic" comment didn't register with me right away. But I was getting steamed up about her delaying my checking out and basically accusing me of reselling the cans! So I repeated for a 3rd time that my husband loved it and tried to bring her attention to the fact that I had $4 in ECBs uploaded on my card that I wanted to use up at the same time as my $9 in printed ECBs. She told me "Well, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about that guy..." and I had to cut her off and ask her to make sure the $4 was deducted. Then she was very nice. I left and was loading the soda in my trunk and getting madder and madder about this whole thing and then the "hispanic" comment registered and I got even more pissed off because how did she know that I wasn't married to a Hispanic person? And why would she even make that comment?! And why should she care if I'm reselling the Diet Dr. Pepper anyway? I wasn't cleaning out the shelf and indeed the Dr Pepper guy had orderedd 9 extra cases for me! Nobody's perfect and I'm not either and you can think what you want, I'm not the thought police (although some people shouldn't be allowed to think either!) but when you work with the public, you represent the company you work for. You should watch your mouth. I usually return the cart in the store and I was tempted to go back and confront her on the spot, but it would have turned into a big ugly thing and I had New Kitty in the car, so I decided that I would contact Management. In the meantime, I pushed the cart as far as I could in the parking lot, in a childish way to get back at her. The bitch. When I got home, I checked my email and I had 2 emails from CVS: one was for a survey about my trip. How serendipitous and what a shame that you only get 500 characters to explain why you have dismal ratings. I said she shouldn't be in a job where she has to interact with the public. Oooh, I'm getting mad all over again. I might need the pheromones that they sprayed at the vet's to calm me down.
MONEY SPENT TODAY
- Cable internet bill was deducted from our account: $54.23
- 1 large bag of prescription cat food and 4 bags of prescription kitten food: $118.46 (gulp!)
- Vet visit (check-up, vaccines) for New Kitty: $117.00
- Gas for the family car: $15.36
- My whole CVS trip was free to me: 9 cases of Diet Dr. Pepper, 1 gallon whole milk, 1 bag of Harry & David chocolate covered cherries.
- I earned 2 more freebies from RaceTrac by taking 2 surveys.
- Fed the kittens
- Packed Greg's lunch
- Drove Youngest Son to school
- Replied to blog comments
- Earned points on my Reward programs
- Took New Kitty to the vet's
- Picked up all the cat food I had ordered
- Declined unnecessary procedures and food
- Went to CVS and got what I needed
- Put everything away
- Washed the cat carrier
- Put soiled towel in the wash
- Filled out CVS survey
- Uploaded coupon to my app
- Printed, clipped, and sorted coupons
- Caught up on Feedly while eating lunch
- Put new "license tags" on New Kitty's collar
- Commented on blogs
- Worked on shopping list
- Printed, clipped and sorted coupons
- Researched Coinstar locations
- Folded the laundry and started to put it away
- Scheduled appointment for son
- Researched the paperwork we'll need to bring
- Emailed a teacher
- Checked the mail
- Brought the trash bins back up the driveway
- Cuddled with a kitten
- Took customer satisfaction surveys
- Fed the kittens
- I updated the spreadsheet where I keep track of our IRA contributions
- Prepared dinner and set the table
- Froze the beans and serrano peppers that I had harvested over the last few days
- Unloaded the dishwasher
- Reloaded it and started it
- Took the recycling bins down to the curb for collection
- Watched a show with Greg
- I drank 2 cups of water before drinking my coffee this morning.
- Breakfast was a cup of generic rice crispies with a banana and 1 cup of ~2% milk (I splurged!) and coffee.
- I did my foot stretching exercises.
- Lunch was split pea soup, egg salad sandwich, and a fruit cup. I drank water.
- Afternoon snack was an apple and a cup of decaf coffee
- Dinner was turkey lasagna and a side salad with a limit bit of homemade dressing. I drank water.
- I used my recumbent bike for 35 min (5.72 miles).
- I drank all my water today, as I have since I started this diet :)
- For the bird songs I heard this morning
- For a healthy New Kitty
- For a nice & cool day in Florida
I heard birds in the garden this morning! So I went outside to investigate. Granted, they were in the trees and not at my feeders, but it had been months since I had heard birds around our backyard. Hooray! I didn't take any pictures though, so here's a...
BONUS KITTEN PICTURE
Remember this one?
What's going on at your house?