Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Lazy Day ~ Saturday, 2/11/17


The kittens puzzle me.  They spend the night with Greg and myself upstairs. We have our own bedrooms but we both leave the doors open for them.  I have spare food balls in my bedroom, which I refill before I go to bed so they can have a little snack at night (and eat breakfast without my having to get up just to feed them!), there is a water bowl and a litter box in the hall.  The rest of the house is wide open to them.

Every morning, they all show up in my bedroom between 5:30 a.m and 6:00 a.m. and insist on waking me up.  They don't necessarily want to cuddle, and if I do get up, they follow me downstairs and then proceed to ignore me. So they don't really want to play either. They just have this need for me to be up and in the living room while they run around the house and finally go back to sleep somewhere else than in bed with me where it's nice and cozy on a Saturday morning! If we close our doors, they scratch at the door and cry.

So this morning I was able to fend them off until about 7 a.m. but then they starting jumping on my bed and chasing each other and hunting my feet... so I got up. They came down with me, and then... disappeared!  After a while, Princess came back and curled up on the pillow next to me and fell asleep, I suspect that Tabby Kitten went back to sleep with Greg because I heard him cry behind his door upstairs for a few seconds (I had closed Greg's door so he could sleep in without being bothered by a kitten licking his nose!) and, at 8:45 a.m., Explorer just came out of nowhere and settled himself on my chest. Which makes typing this a little challenging.

I love my kittens but I was warm and comfy under my duvet this morning and it would have been nice to sleep in a little! Well, I guess 7 a.m. was almost an hour more than I usually get :)

It was all foggy at 7 a.m. but now the fog has burned off.  Our high should be in the low 80s. I've researched a new-to-us state park that has hiking trails and that I'd like to visit this weekend, but I'm waiting to see how Greg's back feels before making any definite plans. He hurt it while playing squash for the first time yesterday.

My daughter is away at her dad's for the weekend. my son will be sleeping in, no doubt. I gave him more Delsym last night before he went to bed because he was coughing a lot and I'm not hearing any coughing from his room right now so I hope he sleeps in longer and comfortably.  I fed the older cats so he doesn't need to get up for that and he knows that I'll do that on the weekends for him :)

This afternoon, Middle Son will find out if he won any Photography Award at the Melrose Center Creative Expo. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!  He needs money to buy himself a camera to replace the one that was stolen from his car several months ago... plus the recognition would be awesome too!

TO DO LIST
  • Turn bread heels into bread crumbs
  • Earn Microsoft Rewards credits DONE
  • Input weight into WHBRHC DONE
  • Set 15 minute timer and try to accomplish as many chores as possible in that time  
  • Do the dishes (AFTER DINNER)  
  • Clean fridge - cleaned the bottom shelf
  • Sweep the downstairs bathroom
  • Vacuum the upstairs bedrooms
  • Sweep/vacuum the main stairwell
  • Make a dermatologist appointment for Youngest Son (after pediatrician apt)
  • Download all January pictures from my phone and camera to external drive
  • Back up external drive to its own external drive!
  • Start a list of the electric outlets that I want to get replaced
  • Do my foot exercises 2X
  • Exercise at least 35 minutes on my bike  (weekdays only)
  • Find USB drive (NOT an SD card!) and clear it so Teen librarian to put photos of Youngest Son on it
  • Read 7-day library book! in progress
  • Read e-library book in progress
  • Make sure Greg assigns specific funds to his IRA account DONE!
  • Move missing Music files from External Drive to my Laptop 
  • Move/reinstall missing software on new laptop in progress, moved all the files to the External Drive
  • Trying syncing my phone on new laptop
  • Back-up my phone
  • Reset phone to factory settings
  • Upgrade to newer iOS
  • Wash litter box upstairs  
  • Add Osmocote plant food to rose and hibiscus bushes
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Read new issue of Kiplinger's in progress
  • Wash kitchen windows
  • Inventory the pantry
  • Reorganize the gardening supplies area in breezeway
  • Purge file cabinet in progress (through "credit cards")
  • Take RaceTrac surveys  
  • Make lemon poppyseed muffins or/and lemon squares with the "grapefruits"!
  • Move fonts from external drive and reinstall on new laptop
  • Take my measurements
  • Sign up for Personal Capital?
  • Look into transplanting hyacinths in garden - Moved them outside since Explorer has started to jump on mantelpiece :(
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Finish decluttering exercise room shelves
  • Try to hit my 1st Daily Goal on Swagbucks  DONE
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts
  • Enter receipts into spreadsheets
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Balance checkbook
  • Sit down with my daughter and show her how to file her taxes
  • Check the air filters and replace if needed

SUCCESSES
  • We didn't have the AC or heat on last night :)

  • Mixed 1/2 a gallon of water with 1/2 gallon of whole milk to stretch it.
  • I started earning my Swagbucks by playing videos and the 3rd survey I attempted actually accepted me and credited me so I met my 1st goal very early on.

  • I also earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits.


  • And I input my weight and yesterday's walk into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices but only earned 40 BR points.  I'm guessing I must have already earned the maximum BR points allowed for exercise so I might be limited to 20 BR a day from now until the end of the month for entering my weight.


  • I opened the windows at 9:30 a.m. so the cats and I could enjoy the bird calls, etc.

  • I'm happy that we have USAA Roadside Assistance because that tire that I kept on thinking looked low?  Yeah, it was almost flat this morning!  I just replaced all 4 tires a year ago so I'm not happy, but shit happens, right?  So I called USAA who are sending someone to put my spare on.  My garage is closed until Monday so I'll need to go there Monday morning and see if the tire can be fixed.  In the meantime, I'm at home, not in a rush to get anywhere, I have a good spare, someone's on his/her way to put it on for me and there won't be a charge since it's covered under my road assistance plan, which is very inexpensive.  The driver was here within 30 minutes, and installed the spare for me very easily.  He showed me where there is a nail in my tire. Grrr. And it's kind of on the side. Double grrr. This is probably going to mean that they can't fix it, although he was trying to reassure me that they might be able to plug it and that maybe it's not such a big nail.  Still, I'm a pessimist and we've had horrible luck with tires these past couple of months so... I'm mentally preparing myself for having to purchase another $200 tire :(


  • Swagbucks confirmed that I'll be getting 17 SB next month for my purchase at Kohls.com yesterday.  Not much but every little bit helps!

  • I entered a bonus code into Kellogg's Family Rewards that netted me 50 KFR points.

  • Greg's back feels OK but his glutes really hurt, lol.  We decided we'd go to the state park tomorrow morning. He feels better now at 11 a.m. than he felt when he first woke up.  Good.

  • I emptied the countertop composting bin into the large one outside. The squash seedlings are still in there so I won't be turning my compost yet. I should try to transplant them. Maybe I'll wait a couple more weeks to make sure it won't get too cold again.

  • I have a few more tomatoes that are ripening and some plants are flowering again.


  • I unlocked new Ibotta offers and the Truvia Nectar and Progresso bread crumbs offers are in my line-up again!  I'm firing up the old laptop to see if I might be able to print more Progresso bread crumb coupons from it as I ran out.  Well shoot, it was no longer available but I was able to print extra coupons for other products.

  • Since I didn't cook dinner last night, I'm planning on making the soup and grilled cheese sandwiches that were on the menu then.

  • I had lunch on the back porch and read my library book for a while... until I got a bad stomachache because I ate too many pieces of  saltwater taffy, and I went back indoors to lie down.

  • I turned on an episode of the Antiques Roadshow and promptly fell asleep, with a kitten at my feet! While I was sleeping, Greg went ahead and assigned the money in his IRAs to specific funds. Yay.

  • I felt better when I woke up but also tired so I looked for something else to watch and settled on "Burn Before Reading", a 2006 Coen brothers movie that I hadn't seen, with John Malkovich, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Frances McDonald and Tilda Swinton.  Greg joined me and we really enjoyed it and laughed a lot.  Explorer crawled in my arms as I was lying down and spent the whole movie soundly asleep against me while Princess was sleeping nearby and Tabby Kitten was probably sprawled in Greg's bed :)
Explorer enjoying a cuddle with me this early this morning
  • So now it's almost 6 p.m. and I really haven't done anything as far as chores are concerned. Oh well.  Our son went to the park to get some swinging done.  I texted Middle Son to see if he had won any prizes but he didn't :(

  • Greg feels better, yay!

  • Hey! We had a No Spend Day and a No Drive Day today!

  • So for dinner, instead of making soup, I just heated up a couple of cans. Greg had some chunky soup for Aldi and our son and I split a can of Carrot Tomato Bisque that I had gotten for free at Publix.  It tasted quite acidic, actually, I didn't care for it. And I have several more cans!  I think next time I'll have to add some herbs to it or something. I also made us grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

  • Greg wanted to watch "Bob's Burgers" after dinner so we did that. I took a Tylenol because I'm all stuffed up and I have a headache. Allergies, probably. I should take a decongestant too. Our son hasn't been coughing much today so I think he's on the mend. It's been a week since he got sick.

  • My daughter texted me that an Aldi had opened in Gainesville since we checked last year. Hooray!  But also... there goes my convenient excuse for going to see her more than once every few weeks (I was going to bring her cheap food from Aldi!).

SPLURGES
  • Nothing!

FAILURES
  • Flat tire, again :(

  • Greg woke up and is starting to feel the "crud" that our son experienced last weekend. Ugh.  I'll be giving him a dose of the CVS "Flu and Throat" drug once he's done with his breakfast. I might need to run to Walgreens to buy something similar as we're running low on that.

MONEY SPENT TODAY
  • No Spend Day!

FREEBIES
  • None today. Told you it was a lazy day!

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Fed the cats
  • Worked on my Rewards programs
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Cuddled with kittens
  • Called Road Assistance
  • Emailed daughter with everyone's congratulations
  • Texted Middle Son to wish him good luck at the Awards this afternoon
  • Read my library book
  • Took a nap
  • Watched a movie with Greg
  • Cuddled with kittens!
  • Texted with Middle Son
  • Cooked dinner
  • Watched Bob's Burgers with Greg
HEALTH
  • Sleep was good!
  • Breakfast was a bowl of Rice Krispies with fresh strawberries and a cup of ~2% diluted milk
  • Morning snack was a piece of string cheese
  • Lunch was 2 eggs salad sandwiches, 1/2 a papaya, some whipped carrots and parsnips.
  • Afternoon snack was way too many saltwater taffies and some strawberries and cream. I got a bad stomachache :(
  • Dinner was a bowl of carrot tomato bisque and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich
  • Water consumption didn't happen. I drank coffee and diet Coke.
  • Exercise didn't happen today. I napped instead, does that count?
  • Foot exercises were performed.
GRATITUDE
  • for being home when my tire was low/flat
  • for roadside assistance service who didn't cost me a service call
  • for lovely readers who left me congratulations for my daughter's acceptance into her school of choice

NATURE

  • We heard the first cricket of the year tonight, right outside our (open) living room windows. It was so darn loud. I hate crickets, I usually go hunt them with a flashlight at night so they leave us alone!

  • A few pictures I took while I was outside today:

A bunch of cranes of some kind (but not sandhill cranes, they sounded nothing like sandhill cranes) flew over the house, first east to west and then turned sharply and went north.

Squirrels were chasing each other on the pool screen of the house behind ours.

Verbena in the sun. I saw a few butterflies flutter by but couldn't photograph them fast enough.

My kittens, pissed that they couldn't be outside with me :)
Did you have a lazy Saturday too?

14 comments:

  1. Those kittens definitely do not look happy, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dreading the day they tried to escape when I open the screen door. For now, they still back off when I try to get them out of the way.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the kittens were certainly giving you the stink eye! Mae must have taught them! I cleaned house and did laundry. Yippee! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, look at how productive you were! I'm glad you were able to balance my laziness. Will you balance it again today? I really don't feel like doing anything...

      Delete
  3. Oh, those kittens don't look happy, at all! Sorry to hear that Greg might be coming down with what your son had! Hope you keep well, while attending to their needs. Yes, naps definitely count towards exercise! :D I had a fairly productive Saturday. Would have liked to have got a bit more done, but I'm happy with what I managed to do.

    Hope you all have a good day, tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how you all are agreeing, without seeing each other's comments, that the kittens really don't look too happy, LOL!

      Thanks for your concern, Bless! He was feeling much better last night so I'm hoping that when he gets up he'll be OK too. He and I both have started having allergy problems a few years back and, according to the daily emails I get from Pollen.com, the pollen levels in our area are really high right now, so that explains why we're stuffed up and getting headaches, etc.

      I read your post, although I haven't commented yet, and yes, you were productive! Go you! Today we might go for a walk, I need to do the dishes (bleh, I was happy to see that you didn't do yours on Friday because I felt a little less lonely in the "didn't do the dishes" club!), read more of my library book, and design a menu for the week. As of right now, I don't feel like doing ANY of this!

      I hope you have a nice relaxing Sunday!

      Delete
  4. I taught from 730 am to 11 am. Then DH picked me up (I was leaving the rest of my students with a sub) and we went to our accountant who agreed to meet us on a Saturday. We used to go to see him on Monday mornings but now everything is more challenging with DH new hours. Then some lunch. Then Home Depot to sign off on our new carpeting! We try to give our business to small local companies only, but in this case we couldn't even get them to come measure! We tried four separate vendors. Disappointing. But I am excited about our new garden party (grayish green) Berber carpet. Then back to the studio to get my car. Then laundry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you take another day off during the week, seeing that you work on Saturdays, or do you always work 6 days a week, Sandie? I'm happy to hear your husband has new hours... this means he found a job, right? Is it something permanent?

      It is disappointing that the local companies wouldn't come measure... are they that successful that they don't need your business or did the blizzards scare them away? We used Home Depot to get our windows replaced and I was VERY happy with them both times (we did it in 2 batches, a couple of years apart). I hope you're as happy with the carpeting people.

      Delete
  5. The kittens don't look happy, but I know that look. It's called absorbing the smells and air from the outdoors. I bet they were happy. Congrats on your daughters acceptance. I had no doubt that she would get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) And yes, they were absorbing and wanted to melt into the screen at some point. Tabby Kitty was very interested in a wasp that kept on bumping into it!

      Delete
  6. Congrats to your DD for her acceptance! Now you get to pay for it LOL. Your kittens are so cute. I've had 3 cats from kittenhood- Whiskers lived to 20, Teeka until about 12 and Little Oz died very early at 18 months. We had rescued him to help out when Whiskers died, he got sick and died at the animal hospital. I've also had 2 dogs but I just can't take the deaths so no more pets for me. I do miss them and often think about getting a standard poodle- they are so smart and no shedding (of course, you either learn to groom them or pay!). Yesterday my sis and I took bro our for his birthday lunch- we went to a neat seafood restaurant right on the beach and it had lots of fresh fish. Service was slow but the food excellent. Now today I've gone to church, made cinnamon rolls from scratch (I had the first rise of the dough yesterday), heart shaped cut out cookies and chocolate chip heart/bar cookies- WOW! I've been busy. I still have to frost the cookies though- wish I had a kid to help me. I'll be delivering them tomorrow and Tuesday. PS I have never added water to milk! I guess we always have drunk skim and my kids really never were milk drinkers. DH put a splash in coffee and that was it. The kids were not big on cereal and I don't make my own yogurt. Now for myself I buy a 1/2 gallon of organic skim at Aldi's and it lasts me 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan! Actually, I won't be paying for it... the kids were always told to work hard to qualify for scholarships and get part-time jobs to save for their studies. They can take student loans but we can't take retirement loans, you know? In my daughter's case, I actually won a partial college scholarship for her when she was in 5th grade via a fundraiser raffle so she'll get to use that, and she also qualifies for the highest level of Florida Bright Futures scholarship, which will help. UCF offered her a $30K Provost scholarship and I guess we'll find out in early March if UF would offer her any scholarship at all. She also is dual enrolled in high school so she'll have earned her AA at the same time as her high school diploma, for free! So she's in a better place than most, including her older siblings. I'm hoping Youngest Son will follow in her footsteps, I'm certainly pushing for him to also go the dual enrollment route once he's a junior in high school.

      I'm going to be a basket case when we lose one of our cats, so I understand the "no more pets, I can't take the heartache!" attitude. Honestly, I'm not a good pet person. I love cats, but I like my pets to leave me alone so it was a complete surprise for me to completely fall in love with the kittens, let them sleep with me, etc. Maybe I'm compensating for the kids leaving the house. We have raised 6 kids, only 2 of them are still home, with my daughter leaving for college in the fall.
      It sounds like you had a great time with your siblings yesterday. Ohh, fresh seafood on the beach sounds so good! And yes, you HAVE been busy today! All those baked goods, yum! Maybe your delivery route will pass by my house? Lol.
      We've also always been skim milk users, only because I don't like milk with more fat, it used to really upset my stomach. Then, a couple of years ago, I realized that I could just get whole milk for the same price and cut it with water and it'd be creamier than the skim milk (which the kids actually prefer) and also save me money, so I've been doing that while denying to the kids that I'm cutting the milk, lol. We are big cereal eaters but nowadays I can get away with only buying 1 gallon a week.

      Delete
  7. Of course napping counts as exercise!!!

    Love that photo of the anole!

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!