Friday, February 17, 2017

Food Waste Friday - 2/17/17



  • I had to compost all those sour grapefruit that I had picked from the neighbor's tree since I did nothing with them and they started going bad.  I'm comforted by the fact that he wouldn't have picked them so they would have rotted on the tree anyway, but annoyed with myself for procrastinating so long to do anything with them. The problem is, they're always ready for picking in January and it's always when we're doing really well with our diets, lol.  They're so sour to eat straight out.







    • Last Sunday I used up the rest of an open bag of potato chips as a side dish to our burgers. It wasn't all that healthy but I was happy that we finished the bag without the chips getting stale, something that happens all too often around here!

    • And I also finished a container of potato salad that had been in the fridge for a couple of weeks and was a few days past its "sell by" date.

    • Greg and I ate leftovers for lunch every day.
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    4 comments:

    1. I was a good girl and ate mainly leftovers or food from the freezer all week. I had to go out of town twice and brought Atkin bars I have had lying around LOL. Yum..no! Now in a little while I am taking the grandsons out to lunch- no school today or Monday and I'll spend $$ but I don't mind spending it on them. They want to go to the local Chinese buffet. Tomorrow it will be back to the freezer.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You were an EXCELLENT girl, Nan! Way to go! At least you got your money's worth at the Chinese Buffet if it's like the ones I've visited, tons of food but comparatively little money. I'm sure your grandsons enjoyed it and that you enjoyed the time with them!

        Delete
    2. Too bad about the grapefruit, but it's being converted to compost, so that's not a total waste.

      I had to toss the last quarter of a cantaloupe that was getting moldy. :( There would have been a time when I'd cut off the moldy parts and eat the rest, but with my immune system still being somewhat compromised, I didn't want to risk getting an upset tummy. Otherwise, I've been pretty good about using up leftovers.

      I've some boxes of cereal that are getting a bit stale, though, and beyond their best by dates. I hate to toss them, but I'm not eating them, either (lost my taste for them). Can't donate them because they've "expired".

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Isn't it annoying when you have food that you can't use for a health reason but that is still good and you can't donate it either because no one will take it due to the dumb "sell by" dates? I read today that the grocery industry is getting ready to get rid of most "sell by" dates... I'm guessing that I might find fewer items on clearance from now on, but I suppose it's for the greater good :)

        Well done for using up leftovers!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!