Friday, February 3, 2017

Food Waste Friday ~ 2/3/17



  • I found the last Dole Mixations cup in my pantry and it looked a tiny bit puffed up but I thought it was my pessimist imagination.  However, after one spoonful, I had to throw it away as it was all fizzy again.  Ugh.

  • I had to throw away a small wedge of marinara mozzarella cheese that I had bought before Christmas as it had become all moldy.








    • I burned the olive focaccia bread that I made on Saturday, and my family didn't really like it, so I ate the whole thing myself. Not good for my diet, but waste-free :)

    • I finished a container of sour cream that was about to be past its prime, by using it in my butternut squash soup in lieu of heavy cream :)
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    4 comments:

    1. You did very well for the most part; sorry about those Dole fruit cups, though. I think you mentioned you wrote to the company about them, but you might let them know, again, that the same thing happened a second time. I tossed the last of the lentil curry - it was good, but a bit old and I was just getting over having an upset tummy, so I didn't want to tempt fate! Otherwise, I was good, this week.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You had a good week too!

        When I last contacted Dole, they never replied, just sent the coupon for a new free pack in the mail. So since I didn't want another free pack that might spoil again, and I didn't keep the wrapper that time so I can't give them the factory code, I'm letting it go and just won't be buying those anymore. It's a pity because I really liked them!

        Delete
    2. We did pretty well this week. Just had to throw out a half of a mug of soup. I ate some and then was coming back in a few minutes to finish the rest. However some how along the way, it spent all night on the counter and I didn't want to chance eating it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You did awesomely this week! I'm with you that if I leave food on the counter overnight, then I tend to not want it anymore. It's not that I think I'll get sick from him, it's just that I'm not sure if a cat has tasted it, and also it never looks too appetizing the next day.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!