Monday, February 13, 2017

This Week's Dinner Plans: Monday 2/13 through Sunday 2/19, 2017


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

I had bought a turkey for Thanksgiving that I never cooked so Greg and I decided that we (well, I) would cook it for Valentine's Day.  So I set about making a menu for the week, and then I read the menu for "Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity" and lo and behold, they're cooking a turkey for Valentine's Day too!  So maybe it's a thing now...  Since I think we'll have lots of leftovers, I'm planning on a couple of meals using the left over meat.

Also, I never did make the pulled pork last week, but as I was looking for my pork loin to defrost it for Monday night, I realized that I was out of pork loin roasts anyway. Maybe it's time to do a freezer inventory?!  So we'll be having pulled chicken instead.

MONDAY:  Pulled Chicken, White Rice, Kicking Vegetarian Collard Greens
  • From the freezer: chicken breasts
  • From the pantry:  BBQ sauce, white rice, onion, EVOO, bay leaf, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, molasses, Liquid Smoke
  • From the fridge: collard greens, minced garlic, butter, Better Than Bouillon
  • Need to harvest: thyme
  • Need to make in advance:  **Crockpot Recipe** DEFROST TURKEY FOR TOMORROW
  • Need to buy:  nothing

TUESDAY: Roasted Turkey and Mashed Potatoes with Salad
  • From the freezer:  Turkey
  • From the pantry:  Yellow potatoes, herbs for turkey, canned gravy
  • From the fridge: butter, lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **Roast turkey!**
  • Need to buy:  nothing

WEDNESDAY: Mock Zuppa Toscana and Naan Bread
  • From the freezer: chicken stock
  • From the pantry:  red pepper flakes, onion, whipping cream, white wine
  • From the fridge: smoked turkey sausage, collard greens, minced garlic, naan bread
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy:  potatoes

THURSDAY: Turkey Quesadillas and Salad
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: nothing
  • From the fridge: turkey meat leftovers, black olives, cheddar cheese, tortillas, dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: lettuce, cucumber, grape tomatoes

FRIDAY: Reinvented Turkey Leftovers Soup, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
  • From the freezer: diced celery, chicken stock
  • From the pantry: white wine, bay leaf, tarragon, parsley
  • From the fridge: turkey meat and turkey carcass, bread, cheese slices, butter, onion, Better Than Bouillon
  • Need to harvest: thyme
  • Need to make in advance: **needs to cook for 90 minutes, start early!**
  • Need to buy: egg noodles, carrots

SATURDAY:  Pasta and Meatballs, with Salad
  • From the freezer: meatballs
  • From the pantry: pasta
  • From the fridge: Parmesan, butter, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY: Burgers and Baked Beans
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry:  can of baked beans
  • From the fridge: cheese slices, condiments
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy:  hamburger buns, blue cheese slices (yes they're super expensive but Greg begged me, begged me to buy them.  I'd been getting them free up til now thanks to an awesome coupon/Ibotta rebate combination, and now he's completely addicted to them!)

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

3 comments:

  1. I bought and cooked chicken breasts, last night. Was planning to make a curry, but was too tired to do so; instead, I just rubbed curry powder, chili powder, and salt onto the chicken breasts and baked them! Had half of one with corn and a salad, last night, for dinner. Kept the other half in the fridge for later this week (maybe tonight's dinner) and froze the rest, wrapped individually, for future meals. Bless (who is having fun with the "prove you are not a robot" feature!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I'm intrigued by the "prove you're not a robot" feature. Does it ask you to answer a silly question?

      You were smart to cook all that chicken and then freeze it. I just always freeze it uncooked, same as the ground beef. Which reminds me that someone (Alison, I think) told me that they always cooked the ground beef beforehand with taco seasoning or what not and then freeze it, so it's super quick to make dinners in a pinch. I had meant to do that and I keep on forgetting!

      Delete
    2. The "prove you're not a robot" shows a series of photographs and asks you to click on the ones showing a certain feature - one time, it was to identify pictures with store fronts; another time, it was street numbers. Sometimes, after you click them, a different picture pops up. Once you are sure you've clicked on all the ones showing the feature, you click on the verify button. One time, I apparently missed one picture that popped up later, so I was told to go back and double check! :D It's like a game! :D yes, I am easily amused; something my daughter always tells me and says it's cute! :D

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!