Thursday, March 23, 2017

A Frustrating Day ~ Thursday 3/23/17



I drank caffeinated coffee 2 evenings in a row and didn't have any trouble falling asleep... I think my body must be even more tired than I thought!  I'm happy to report that I had a good night and that my thighs hurt much less this morning. Phew.

We have some rain and wind in the forecast today and since the temperatures are cooler too, I have the windows open.  The birds are singing and the cats are all happy.

No plans to go anywhere today save for driving to East Orlando with Youngest Son tonight to attend a D&D workshop for new players.  I have to admit that, while wanting to provide Youngest Son with opportunities to play the game with like-minded people and also wanting to find something to bond over in his teen years (since I don't do video games), the thought of going to meet other people and to play this complicated game for hours on end is causing me anxiety.  I think about it a lot, too much, actually, and it's starting to wear off any enthusiasm I have for it.  Ugh. Plus it's a long drive and I already had a long drive this week.  The older I get, the less I enjoy driving, especially since it'll be rush hour driving on the 408 eastbound, which is always absolutely pack at the I-4 interchange.



After the workshop we'll drop off the photographic paper backdrops at my ex's for Middle Son.  I did research to see how much it would have cost to buy those new and a smaller size sells for $65 a roll so it was a good saving.

Otherwise, my plans are to do some chores and possibly some reading.


TO DO LIST
  • Bake banana bread 
  • Declutter the printer stand
  • Do the shredding
  • Hook the hose into the hose reel DONE
  • Fix patio umbrella DONE
  • Refill the self watering bins
  • Give a driving lesson to my son with the stick shift 
  • Take Youngest Son to get a haircut
  • Make menu for the weekend
  • Clean bathroom ceiling 
  • Clean hallway ceiling right outside the bathroom
  • Order longer handle for rubber broom
  • Add bleach to furnace line DONE
  • Write and mail postcards to great aunt and mom
  • Make my bed DONE
  • Earn Microsoft Rewards credits DONE
  • Input weight into WHBRHC DONE
  • Set 15 minute timer and try to accomplish as many chores as possible in that time
  • Do the dishes by hand, drain/dry in the dishwasher (AFTER DINNER) 
  • Vacuum Youngest Son's bedroom
  • Make a dermatologist appointment for Youngest Son
  • Back up external drive to its own external drive!
  • Start a list of the electric outlets that I want to get replaced
  • Do my foot exercises 2X
  • Exercise at least 35 minutes on my bike  (weekdays only)  
  • Clean upstairs litter box 
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Inventory the pantry
  • Inventory the freezers
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • Take RaceTrac surveys 
  • Take my measurements
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Finish decluttering exercise room shelves
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts
  • Schedule an outing to P.E.A.R. Park and ask them about the trees from my backyard or look at the Audubon site that Pixel shared.
  • Go to airport to cash in my euros?!
  • Mend sliding door window screen
  • Plant and water the tree
  • Water the pineapples
  • Add water to indoor pineapples - I think I might compost them.  I really don't want to plant them, after all, and I don't have anyone to give them to.
  • Track my and Greg's IRAs for the IRS
  • Download all February pictures from phone, Canon camera, and Panasonic camera to external drive
  • Reply to blog comments DONE
  • Put laundry away DONE
  • Follow up with Educational Foundation Director if she doesn't call me today DONE
  • Clip coupons DONE
  • Put coupons away
  • Purge the dresser in the upstairs hallway
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • File all the pending documents
  • Use brush on fridge coils
  • Schedule maintenance appointment for my SUV
  • Prep March Food Expenses post in progress
  • Schedule credit card payment DONE

SUCCESSES and FAILURES
  • Youngest son forgot to eat the breakfast sandwich I had gotten for him this morning, so I think he'll have it as a snack this afternoon.

  • He packed his lunch to take to school.

  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.

  • The regular school bus driver must be back on duty as the bus actually passed our stop on time this morning for the first time in... weeks. We always leave at the same time and the other students usually haven't been picked up yet.  So we followed the bus all the way to the school this morning, which felt odd. Oh well, I'd rather know that my son will be in class on time than stress about it every morning.  As usual, he'll take the bus home.

  • I turned off the AC and opened the windows downstairs.  I went to open the windows in my son's bedroom and Tabby Kitten ran into the room as I was leaving it.  In the process of handling a struggling kitten with one hand and closing the door, a gust of wind slammed the door on my right index finger, right on the nail.  Ouch, it hurts and doesn't make typing every easy.

  • Since I won't be here for dinner, I had told Greg and my daughter that they would be on their own. However, I checked the chicken thighs that had been in my fridge for several weeks now, in the bottom drawer that gets so cold sometimes the yogurt that I store in there freezes, and they were just fine.  So I found a "Chicken in Enchilada Sauce" recipe in my 5 Ingredients Or Less Dump Meals for the Crockpot cookbook and decided to make that. Only I didn't have any enchilada sauce so I made my own.  Only my tomato paste was bad, so I didn't use any and I had to throw away the can that I had just opened (exp date was 2014) and yes, it was bad. Gas escaped when I opened it, otherwise I would have still used it.  I'll probably make rice later on for them to eat it with.  We'll have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow too.

  • I'm going to need to stock up on canned tomatoes and tomato sauce so I think I might go to Walmart next week and use up the last Swagbucks gift cards.  As I did last year, I'm enjoying the downtime from trying to earn a lot of Swagbucks but I'll sure miss the gift cards once they're used up!

  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits and I'm running automatic videos on Swagbucks to try and earn some SB today.

  • Oh my, it's now 11:20 a.m. and I haven't done anything else!  I've been sucked down a rabbit trail of blogs and I'm enjoying myself far too much to want to do chores, darn it!

  • Sometimes something happened that I want to rant about but either I type the rant and then decide that I probably don't want so much negativity on the blog and I erase it, or I think "too much work!" and I just post a sentence about the result of my action.  Either way, you might not get the picture of how truly frustrated I get by either politics, idiotic people... or everyday items.  Not that I think my readers picture me as being even-keeled because I post enough "ugh's" and "arrgh's" during my regular posts, but you don't know the half of it!  I'm really trying to be a less negative person, but sometimes a good rant is quite calming for me.  So at about 11:30 am. I decided to get started on crossing off chores from my To Do List and picked "hooking up the hose to the hose reel". How much time would you have dedicated to this? 10 minutes TOPS, right?  It took me AN HOUR. Between now having 3 points of leaks (instead of just one before) that needed to be tightened but not so much that it would strip the plastic thread, looking for the plastic washers that keep on popping up when I'm not looking for one but that I couldn't find anywhere today, to dealing with the kittens climbing the screen door and then barfing on the floor, to having to unkink my very long hose...  AAAAAARRRGH.  Finally, though, it's done.   And I'll be happy not to have to walk over that hose every time I walk around the house.
And I have got to pull the weeds from the berm and the gravel pathway, too.
  • Another thing that happened, in the process of looking for the washers (that I never found), is that I found the tiny bolts that we had bought last summer to fix the arm of the patio umbrella that kept on unscrewing itself. Once again an arm was completely loose but the bolt was nowhere to be found on the patio and I couldn't remember what we had done with the rest of them (there were 5 or 6 to the packet we had bought). But I found them on a shelf of my gardening shed and was able to reattach the arm. Hooray!  In the process, I discovered that wasps were in the middle of building a nest inside of the umbrella, so I knocked off the nest and sprayed hornet killer in the general direction of the wasp I had just dislodged.  


  • Greg had just left his crow bar leaning against the wall by our sliding door, something that would have resulted in the crow bar falling (and breaking!) against the window if the kittens had been playing roughly nearby, which they do constantly, so I took it to his shed and just left it on the mess that's his "workbench" because I couldn't figure out where it went. I texted him to let him know so he wouldn't be looking for it again.
He might know where everything is but I have no clue.  His "bench" is actually my old kitchen table that I painted in
primary colors years ago to turn it into a craft room for the kids. Once they grew up, I suggested Greg use it in his shed.
The cubicles are our old shoe cubicles from when we had 8 people living at home (lots of shoes!). He's used old clementine crates and old coffee cans to fashion himself more organizers.  
  • While dealing with the hose reel, I realized that my Confederate Jasmine is blooming, hooray!!

  • My daughter commuted to her college class with her BFF.  She has a group presentation to give today and she borrowed one of my flash drives to save her documents. I'm noting it here so I remember to get it back from her in the next couple of days.

  • The problem with having such an emotional reaction to frustrations as I do, is that once I've ran through the frustration, instead of feeling energized, I feel run down.  I feel run down right now at 1 p.m. and I really haven't done anything. I should go get lunch.

  • So I decided to have herring fillets in spicy mango sauce and ... promptly dropped the opened can on my living room carpet.  The good?  It didn't fall upside down. The bad?  The sauce splattered my carpet, the underside of my futon, my favorite pants, my T-shirt, my shoes.  I used up half a roll of Bounty paper towels trying to wipe up the mess. Thankfully I did have a bottle of Purple Power degreaser and cleaner that I could use; Then the nozzle of my bottle of Shout stain remover chose that moment to stop spraying so I ended up dumping a good quarter of the bottle onto my clothes to remove the orange, stinky, greasy stains.  Grrrrr.  GRRR. GRRR!  I want to crawl back into bed right now.

  • And yet. What right do I have to whine?  People were killed yesterday in London and around the world by senseless violence. Time to put things into perspective, I think.

  • I earned 50 KFR points by entering bonus codes SCOR-EBIG-BONU-SPTS and HOOP-SFOR-KFR2-5PTS in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.

  • I also earned 20 BR points by entering my weight into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices.

  • When I threw my sauce-splattered clothes in the wash, I also grabbed the few dirty clothes from my hamper and Greg's dirty exercise clothes from yesterday. I washed all of them in cold/cold. Since we have rain in the forecast, I hung them on a laundry rack in the laundry room.

  • I cooked rice in the microwave for Greg and my daughter's dinner, to go with the chicken in enchilada sauce. They said it was delicious.

  • Youngest Son and I drove to the UCF area for our Dungeons & Dragons Workshop for New Players. I thought traffic might be bad due to rush hour but we got there 30 minutes early so we went to eat at McAllister's Deli.  It took a long time to get our food, though, so we only had 10 minutes to scarf it down.  We both drank tap water.

  • Our workshop went well but it was (again with this word today!) frustrating for me because the room was very noisy and it was very hard for me to hear the instructions, even though I was sitting right next to the instruction/Dungeon Master.  Still, we had a good time.  We stayed for 2 hours and got personalized help in creating our own characters.

  • Afterwards, we dropped off the photographic backgrounds for Middle Son at my ex's, and stopped at 7-11 to use the bathroom and get a snack for the road.

  • We got home at about 10:20 p.m. and told Greg about our adventures. He shared that he got several threatening texts on his cell phone today, probably aimed at the person who had his number before him (he's only had it for a couple of months) so he had to block them. I would have been very upset and driven to the police department with my phone, I think.  I don't take to threats very well.


MONEY SPENT TODAY
  • Tolls to drive to and from UCF
  • Dinner at McAllister's: about $16
  • Drinks and snacks on the way home: about $5

FREEBIES
  • Redbox sent me an email that I had earned a free movie rental.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Made my bed
  • Fed the kittens
  • Packed Greg's lunch
  • Prepped his breakfast
  • Drove my son to school
  • Aired out the house
  • Cleaned cobwebs in Son's room
  • Cooked dinner in crockpot
  • Texted Middle Son about tonight
  • Read blogs
  • Chatted with my daughter
  • Hooked the hose to the hose reel
  • Fixed the patio umbrella
  • Put away the crow bar
  • Texted Greg
  • Picked up kitty barf (3 times!)
  • Cleaned up carpet spill
  • Did a load of laundry
  • Hung the laundry
  • Clipped coupons
  • Talked to Middle Son on the phone
  • Scheduled a credit card payment
  • Cooked rice for dinner
  • Put away the laundry
  • Talked to Educational Foundation Director about needed paperwork
  • Prepped March Food Expenses post
  • Drove to UCF area for D&D Workshop
  • Dropped off photographic backgrounds for Middle Son
  • Chatted with Greg and Daughter

GRATITUDE
  • That a new cardboard box easily amuses kittens!
  • That I found the bolts to fix the patio umbrella
  • That I was able to (finally) connect the hose to the hose reel
  • That my jasmine and roses are blooming
  • That people took the time to teach us about D&D tonight

Do you also get easily frustrated or do you go with the flow?

8 comments:

  1. So sorry the door closed on your finger! That must have been painful! Sorry, too, that the hose took longer than you would have liked. But good of you to have stuck with it! I'd have left it to deal with on another day! I get frustrated with how long I am taking to recover, with how tired I get, etc. But, I try to go with the flow for the most part. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're not giving up on recovering! I can't even think of how I would react in the face of a major health setback. I don't handle stress well. When I went to take care of my stepmom, I had to go into business mode to handle her disease and subsequent passing and my own father's very difficult personality, along with all the visitors. It was still very difficult and I wasn't the one who was sick! I have so much respect for you!

      I didn't give up on the hose because I couldn't stand to have this seemingly simple task on my To Do List just one more day, lol. It's just "funny" how the simplest tasks can become major time sucks, isn't it?! And yet something that looks like it going to be a big thing (like unloading the very packed dishwasher), only end up taking 5 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I try to not get frustrated and since I live alone, it's a lot easier! You only have yourself to blame haha. TGIF- before I started working, I never realized how nice Fridays were. I'm headed for Aldi's and WD soon and then will stop at Save A Lot for the chicken breasts. I have rolls still to deliver to my nephew but I'm thinking I might go tomorrow morning and my sis can take me to Sam's. BJs or Costco. She belongs to all three through with a company perk. I love Costco but she hates to go because it's busy. I'll see what she says tonight- nephew had knee surgery and I promised to bake him cinnamon rolls. One more week and it's April. The kids here just have 2 months left of school. What's our your menu for today- I've been craving pizza so I might make some dough and bake a deep dish one for myself. I guess I could make 2 large thin crust and freeze one. I usually don't add any meat but I love black olives. mushrooms and onions on my pizza. I also have been wanting to make a big batch of marinara sauce- maybe I'll do that and can use it for my sauce..or maybe just chill today....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try to keep that advice in mind, "Try not to get frustrated", because it ends up making the tasks last longer anyway. I'm alone most of the day but I still get frustrated a lot and I'm used to expressing it. The problem is when I forget that there are other people around (like my son in the car with me when I'm driving or if I'm out and about with Greg) and instead of thinking things, I verbalize them. Then it leads to Greg not wanting to go out with me because he says I complain all the time (we've both gotten much better though since we now go out every weekend!).

      I hope you find the chicken breasts at your Save A Lot. They're in the frozen section. I find that if I don't go to my Save A Lot on the 1st day of the meat sale, I can't get it. It's nice that your sister has a membership through work to all three warehouse clubs! Work perks like these are awesome.

      My daughter will be done with her classes in mid April, I think. Then she only has Prom (she's going with her BFF) and her 2 graduation ceremonies (high school and state college) in mid May. Middle Son also graduates from a State College, so I guess he's on the same schedule. Youngest Son's last day of classes will be on May 24, so 2 months away to the day, like your grandsons. It'll be here before we know it!

      I've made pizza before and it was OK. I like getting the XL cheese pizzas from Aldi and then just adding our own toppings since we all like different toppings. I may do that next week, I haven't done that in a long time. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Between your finger in the door and the mango sauce, you had plenty of reason to feel frustrated. Hope today runs more smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was resigning myself that either traffic would be very bad and we would miss our workshop last night or my car would break down because when it pours, it rains, doesn't it? So I was pleasantly surprised when nothing else "bad" happened!

      So far today is going well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and trying not to get them caught in doors anymore!). I hope you have a great day as well.

      Delete
  4. Some days are just a lot more frustrating than others. It seems to me that it's better to vent some than to let it all build up inside.

    Mondays at work tend to be a combo of running around in circles while banging your head on the wall and answering the phone. But my co-workers and I always agree that Mondays just tend to be like that and it's what makes the rest of the week a lot easier. At least I like my job...that makes it all much, much better. My previous two jobs seemed to consist of a week of Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, frustration is easier to handle when you love your job and your co-workers! I'm glad you love your current job!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!