Monday, March 27, 2017

Domestic Monday ~ 3/27/17

 

Domestic Monday, why do you keep on coming back every darn week?!  Ugh.  I didn't sleep well so my energy level is low and right now, at 8 a.m., I really don't feel like doing any domestic tasks... or any tasks for that matter. It could be worse, though, I could be sitting in traffic somewhere or in a geometry class (like Youngest Son) so I'm going to quit complaining right now :)

I didn't do anything productive this weekend so I really need to try to catch up today, especially since the end of the month is near so it's kind of my last chance to try to accomplish some of my March goals.

TO DO LIST
  • Make menu for the week DONE
  • Defrost meat for dinner DONE
  • Do the laundry DONE
  • Hang the laundry to dry DONE
  • Fold the laundry
  • Put the laundry away
  • Bake banana bread DONE
  • Declutter the printer stand
  • Do the shredding
  • Refill the self watering bins
  • Give a driving lesson to my son with the stick shift 
  • Take Youngest Son to get a haircut
  • Clean bathroom ceiling 
  • Clean hallway ceiling right outside the bathroom
  • Order longer handle for rubber broom (47 in, 1 in) - No need anymore, I reused an old one :)
  • Make my bed DONE
  • Earn Microsoft Rewards credits  DONE
  • Input weight into WHBRHC DONE
  • Set 15 minute timer and try to accomplish as many chores as possible in that time
  • Do the dishes by hand, drain/dry in the dishwasher (AFTER DINNER) 
  • Vacuum Youngest Son's bedroom
  • Put one mattress away in his room
  • Take one mattress and the bed to the thrift store
  • Make a dermatologist appointment for Youngest Son
  • Back up external drive to its own external drive!
  • Start a list of the electric outlets that I want to get replaced
  • Do my foot exercises  2X
  • Exercise at least 35 minutes on my bike  (weekdays only)  DONE
  • Clean upstairs litter box DONE
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Inventory the pantry
  • Inventory the freezers
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • Take RaceTrac surveys 
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Finish decluttering exercise room shelves
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts
  • Schedule an outing to P.E.A.R. Park and ask them about the trees from my backyard or look at the Audubon site that Pixel shared.
  • Go to airport to cash in my euros?!
  • Mend sliding door window screen
  • Plant and water the tree
  • Water the pineapples
  • Add water to indoor pineapples - I think I might compost them.  I really don't want to plant them, after all, and I don't have anyone to give them to.
  • Track my and Greg's IRAs for the IRS
  • Download all February pictures from phone, Canon camera, and Panasonic camera to external drive
  • Reply to blog comments  DONE
  • Clip new coupons DONE
  • Put coupons away DONE
  • Purge the dresser in the upstairs hallway
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • File all the pending documents
  • Use brush on fridge coils
  • Schedule maintenance appointment for my SUV
  • Prep March Food Expenses post in progress
  • Update my D&D character's stats DONE
  • Sweep kitchen
  • Vacuum living room
  • Charge Kindle DONE
  • Get Youngest Son to sign up for French I on FLVS
  • Check if Youngest Son made Guidance apt to ask for start date after AP exam (May 11).

SUCCESSES and FAILURES
  • Youngest Son packed a lunch to take to school and I packed a lunch for Greg to take to work.

  • I drove Youngest Son to school and reminded him to make an appointment with Guidance to get the list of AP classes available to him next year so he can start planning his Sophomore year.

  • I opened the windows to air out the house.

  • I realized that Swagbucks never credited me with "pending credit" Swagbucks for my mattress purchase on Amazon last week. They do show the purchase but without any SB attached to it. After investigation, I cannot file a complaint until 30 days after the purchase, so I scheduled a reminder in my calendar with appropriate screenshots as supporting documentation. Grrr. It's 1,281 SB so I'll be pissed if I don't get them!

  • They did, however, record my eBay purchase, for which I'll get a whole 3 SB. Woohoo?!
  • The automatic videos are working today so I started them in hopes of earning a few more SB. My 1st daily goal is 40 SB today. I'm only at 530 SB, I've earned almost nothing this month!

  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits.

  • I did one super load of laundry in cold/cold. I should be able to hang most of it outdoors and only use the dryer for a few items like Greg's Tshirts and a bath towel.

  • I reused a newspaper plastic sleeve to gather and dispose of the contents of the litter box upstairs.

  • I noticed that a Pink Lady apple was all bruised so I pulled it out of the fruit bowl. Later on, I'll dehydrate it.

  • Zinio had emailed me yesterday that a couple of magazine issues were available to read online for free via my library so I checked them out. I'll be getting the actual copy of Kiplinger's in the mail (free subscription) in a few days so I'll probably wait until I have the real deal to read it.


  • I entered my weight into Walgreens' BRHC for the past 2 days (although I'm still using the weight from the last time I weighed myself because I've been cowardly avoiding the scale!) and earned 40 BR points.

  • I checked our Amex account to see if I could order a $100 CVS gift card with our rewards, but we still sit at $95.xx.  I'm never too clear on when the next Rewards hit, they never seem to hit when the new statement has been issued.

  • I did, however, enroll us in a couple of promotions that we probably won't be participating in, but just in case: an offer for statement credit of $10 when spending $50 at Advance Auto Parts, and a $20 statement credit when spending $100 at Country Inns and Suites. Sadly, that offer ends before Daughter and I will be going on our Summer trip :(

  • I printed a coupon that Kellogg's emailed me.
  • I stretched the milk by adding 1/2 gallon of water to 1/2 gallon of whole milk.

  • I hung most of the laundry outside on a laundry rack and used the Auto Moisture Sensing setting on the dryer for the rest of it.

  • I baked 4 small loaves of chocolate chip banana bread with 7 very brown bananas that I had kept in the fridge.  I'll leave one out for today's snacks and freeze the others.

  • I also defrosted meat for the week: ground beef, a ham steak, chicken breasts, chicken chipotle sausages, smoked turkey sausage, and I'll also use tilapia that I won't defrost until the day I plan on using it.  I kind of made a menu in my head as I was pulling the meat out of the freezer.  That's half the work done already :)  I realized that since Greg was going to be gone on Friday and Saturday evenings, the kids and I can just have easy dinners such as Breakfast for Dinner (which he's not a big fan of) so scratch the tilapia, we'll have pancakes instead. Woohoo!  A small perk of Greg's trips is not to have to work too hard on what to cook.  And after I published and printed my menu, I realized that I had a wedge of raclette cheese that really needed to be used up and the kids and I like raclette more than Greg does, so I changed my plans again and decided to make raclette on Friday night. Woohoo!

  • I earned 25 KFR points by entering bonus code ILUVBBALLRECIPES into my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.

  • I made a dinner menu for the week with mostly what I already have on hand.

  • I worked on my shopping list. Trying to decide what to buy at Walmart, even if it'll be free with the Swagbucks gift cards, is always difficult for me!

  • I printed a Gold'n Plump chicken coupon they emailed me. I no longer shop at SuperTarget so I probably won't use it, though.

  • My daughter was picked up by her friends to go to Busch Gardens at about 11 a.m.  Since the park closes at 6 p.m. and it takes them a little over an hour to get there, they won't have much time there. Good thing they'll be splitting the $20 parking fee four ways :)

  • Instead of biking to the library today, I decided to ride my recumbent bike at lunch time. I prepared my lunch (leftover rice from this past week and leftover red beans stew from a couple of weeks ago now, and I put some shredded mozzarella on top) and ate it while I biked, while also watching "Forensic Files" on Netflix.  

  • So I biked for 37 minutes (5.79 miles).  Meanwhile, I watched 2 episodes of "Forensic Files" and also flipped through several old issues of Kiplinger's (free subscription) and Better Homes and Gardens (donated freebies from the library) and pulled the articles & recipes that I wanted to keep. Sigh, more paperwork to file, lol!

  • I had left my laptop open so the automatic Swagbucks videos were still playing and I reached my 1st SB Daily Goal, woohoo!  I won't even try to get to the 2nd Goal (over 100 SB), but since I'm about to clip coupons and put them away in my organizer, I figured that I'd keep playing the videos in the meantime.

  • I finally got around to measuring how long I wanted my broom handle to be for the rubber broom head that I had bought in France back in 2015.  I had previously reused an old broom handle that was too short and really made my back hurt when I used that broom.  Then I went on the Ace Hardware website to order a new broom handle. I was about to pull the  trigger and complete the transaction, when I decided to make sure, once again, that I didn't have a spare handle to use... and I did!  It's not as long as I'd like it to be but it's definitely longer and I think it'll work. The threading didn't match so I used (once again!) duct tape to attach the 2 parts.

  • My new mattress was delivered and it was heavy so I asked Youngest Son, who had just come home from school, to help me carry it upstairs.  I need to take apart my twin size bed and also figure out what to do with the 2 extra twin-size mattresses.  Update: I think I'll be able to store them under Youngest Son's platform bed (after I declutter and clean underneath).

  • So I went ahead and took my bed apart and brought it down on the front porch.  I think that I'll donate it to Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I don't know if they'll take the mattresses too, I'll have to ask.  Right now they're on their side against one of the walls of my tiny bedroom. I'm afraid the kittens will get on them and get crushed, though.

  • I did keep the large sheet of plywood that was under the mattress. It's sitting outside Greg's shed right now.  

  • I unpacked my mattress and it's now just sitting on the floor.  The instructions say to let it "inflate" for 48 hours for optimum size, but I'll sleep on it tonight. I've tried it and it's pretty comfortable. Firm but not as firm as I expected, probably because it's not fulling "inflated" yet. I put the clean sheet that I had bought at the thrift store on it and again the pockets are for a deeper mattress. For now it'll work.

  • I found 11 cents under my mattress, yessssss!  

  • I broke my silver chain - again - when it got caught on the laundry rack as I was getting the dry laundry off it. Arrgh. I don't think it can be fixed!  I just bought that right before Christmas, darn it.  Maybe if I had a small soldering kit?


  • My son walked to the library and back for his volunteering shift.

  • Well it looks like I've reached my SB 2nd goal despite myself (I let the videos play all afternoon).  Woohoo!

  • Dinner was hamburgers and corn on the cob. I split the meat into 5 so I can have a burger for Greg's lunch tomorrow and had mine on a Sandwich Thin so he can have the last bun with it.   I had organized the dirty dishes into huge piles again so we used paper plates.

  • I should have done the dishes earlier in the day. Now I'm tired so I'll do them first thing in the morning.

  • Greg watched a few episodes of "Seinfeld" after dinner.

MONEY SPENT TODAY
  • Tolls for Greg's commute
  • Lunch for daughter at Busch Gardens (about $7.00)

FREEBIES
  • I borrowed 2 e-magazines from our library system. 
  • I found 11 cents :)

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Fed the kittens
  • Packed a lunch for Greg
  • Prepped his breakfast
  • Drove Youngest Son to school
  • Finished my post from yesterday
  • Wrote my Day Book
  • Worked on my To Do List
  • Cuddled with a kitten :)
  • Investigated a missing Swagbucks credit
  • Started the laundry
  • Made my bed
  • Cleaned the upstairs litter box
  • Worked on Rewards programs
  • Borrowed 2 magazines from library
  • Ran dehumidifier in bathroom
  • Hanged the laundry outside and used the dryer too
  • Baked banana bread
  • Stretched the milk
  • Defrosted meat for the week
  • Made my dinner menu for the week
  • Posted and printed it
  • Worked on my shopping list
  • Printed some coupons
  • Clipped all coupons
  • Set aside coupons for BFF and SLAL thrift store
  • Put away all coupons
  • Decluttered coffee table
  • Located and reattached a new handle to my rubber broom head
  • Moved new mattress up to my bedroom
  • Took down my twin size bed
  • Unpacked my new mattress
  • Brought the dry laundry in
  • Cooked dinner
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Commented on blogs

GRATITUDE
  • For Explorer's cuddles :)
  • That my daughter's friend were safe drivers so she made it back home safely
  • For a new mattress!  Hopefully I'll sleep better now.

NATURE

My roses are really blooming!

And my hibiscus had a lot of blooms today :)
How was your day?

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the free cat food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope Mae likes it :)

      Delete
  2. Those chores just keep coming, don't they? Seems like every time I get the kitchen cleaned, it's dirty when I turn around again. :) Good luck with your To Do list as you race to see what you can get done here at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how we all have the same frustrations. This phenomenon of dirty dishes "magically" stacking up as soon as I'm done cleaning the kitchen might be why I don't like cleaning the kitchen, hahaha. Right now I'm frustrated with the socks that Tabby Kitty keeps on bringing down. As soon as I gather them, he finds new one to bring down because Greg just leaves his laundry in the basket. I used to put it away properly but it irks me to see the drawers that I had neatly arranged in total disarray because he doesn't care so I decided that he could just put his down laundry away from now on. I just need to train the cat to stop bringing the socks downstairs!

      Alas, my March goals recap is going to be full of big red failures :( I was too ambitious but also too lazy.

      Delete
  3. I hated geometry in high school. Not having to be in that class is something to be happy about for sure! :)

    Do you like your rubber headed broom? I've had one on my "maybe" list for a while because I think they're supposed to be good for sweeping up pet hair. Way to go on using what you had around the house to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any day without math is a good day for me. I think this is why D&D frustrates me so much, hahaha.

      Yes, I really like my rubber broom and I look forward to being able to use it more now! My mom demonstrated it to me when I went to France and I was astounded to see just how much dog hair it caught. I like that it seem to get my cat hair without sending it flying it into the air, like a regular broom does!

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are do pretty! I love roses. :)
    I think the post office email plan is kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure why they would use resources for something like that. And to be honest, I would not use it because I'm not all that anxious to see the bills that are on the way to my mailbox. (I actually told our mail lady that she can keep the bills but she still gives them to me anyway. Sigh!) ;)
    Bu the way, would you like newspaper sleeves? We actually have a box of them left from when we were carriers that accidentally got included in our move and it's more than we will ever use. If you want I could send you a bunch, they are very lightweight.
    By the way, your dinners sound delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Dawn, you're right, you don't want to know when your bills are coming in! I get all my bills via email so my preview will be junk mail, junk mail, letter from my great aunt, perhaps a coupon, junk mail...
      Thanks for the offer of the plastic sleeves, you are so sweet. But between the bread bag and all the other plastic bags (Greg brings his dirty gym clothes in such plastic sleeves too), I think we're set :)

      Delete
  5. Pink ladies are My Husband's favorite Apple choice as well. I keep meaning to I ask you to explain the dynamics of Dungeons & Dragons. My only knowledge of it is from what I see on the big bang theory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch The Big Bang Theory so I'm not sure how they portrait it, but there are a couple of very funny Community episodes about it.

      I'll try to explain D&D as best I can but it's a very complicated game and I'm new at it, so my explanations are going to be totally unsatisfactory!

      Basically, it's a fantasy role playing game (RPG) that started in the 70s and has a rich, very detailed and complex universe. Players create characters according to very specific rules. The game creators have thought of very detailed background information for various races and classes of characters, and there are probably thousands of permutations you can create, more if you add your own background. So your character could be, for instance, a ranger (class) who is a dwarf. There will be very specific characteristics and abilities corresponding to a ranger dwarf which are different from those of a ranger elf, for instance, or a warlock dwarf! Being a Role Playing Game (RPG), the players actually take on the personality of their character when they're playing. There are several role playing characters (players) and then a Dungeon Master (DM), who is the person narrating the story and basically arbitrating the game play according to certain rules. All the players are united in a same goal, which might be to rescue someone or find some treasure or something like that. In doing so, they encounter countless enemies (who each have their own rules) like dragons, orcs, etc. (a lot of it sounds like it's straight out of Lord of the Rings, which I'm sure was a huge influence on the creators), that they are supposed to defeat. In the league that my son and I belong to, all the players are supposed to be "good guys" although some of us might choose to be more "chaotic" than "lawful" (i.e. more rascals but not criminals). But all the players work as a team to solve whatever problem and vanquish enemies. You do this by rolling dice that, according to a complex scoring system that varies from character to character, determine not only the success of your proposed action but also how much damage you inflict on your enemy. The DM lets you know of the result of your action according to his own instructions. There are non-combat actions (such as "I investigate this room for traps") and combat action (such as "I fire an arrow at the closest kobold with my long bow!") and you roll a 20-sided dice (known as d20) for all actions. Depending on what skill you're using and other factors, you also add modifiers to your dice score. The DM tells you the result of your action based on the number that you score after rolling your dice and adding all the modifiers. Other dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12) are used for other purposes. As you might imagine, the possibilities are endless! You are very much encouraged to use your own imagination and creativity when playing, within the rules of the game. Players who have some experience are very passionate and will discuss their previous adventures and explain on plays like football fans might recall a specific touchdown. It's quite entertaining to watch from a non-nerdy position, but they also give me a headache because it is SO nerdy :)
      (Part 2 coming up)

      Delete
    2. (Part 2)

      It's traditionally a board game, and the board is usually a large piece of laminated paper separated into squares (each square corresponds to 5 ft.) The DM draws the map of the adventure on the board and each player has a miniature that corresponds to their character that they advance physically on the board as the game progresses. There are also 3D versions of D&D where you actually have 3D map elements to make it a little more exciting. In the adventure that we're playing right now, the DM didn't even bother drawing a map, he just describes the environment and we don't use the miniatures, we just play detective to explore the universe and try to remember where everyone is positioned in our mind. It gets very confusing. I wish our DM was better than he is. He's a nice kid but very monotonous in his delivery and reads the descriptions very very fast and without any intonation. I think to be a good DM, you need to be dramatic and not be afraid to take on the personality of the enemies that you're throwing in our way so we can actually have a ROLE PLAYING game, you know? I think I'd make a great DM, if only I knew way more about the game, hahaha.
      As the characters progress in the adventure, they gain experience points (or XP), which let them attain new levels. So everyone starts their character at level 1. As their character gains experience, they progress on to level 2, etc. Each level confers new abilities, better weapons, etc, etc. There are several adventures in each campaign. You can create as many characters as you would like and keep "growing" your characters throughout various adventures and campaigns but you only play one character per adventure. So right now I have 3 different characters, although only 1 that I created myself. The other 2 were pre-made by someone else and I gained a little bit of experience with them when I used them in other adventures.
      That's probably way more than you wanted to know but that's the very basics and I've probably forgotten to mention a lot of other basic things. There are good Wikipedia articles about it if you are interested in learning more, or you can visit the Wizards of the Coast website (makers of the D&D games) there: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/what-is-dd

      I hope this helped and didn't confuse you too much!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! It did. The only other thing I know about me is that when I was in high school there was a church in California the Eagles Nest. It might still be around. The head of the church Pastor Gary I believe his name was did a series of audio tapes… Just dated myself by saying audio tapes and not CDs or MP3s LOL. Anyway, he did this entire series on the teenagers of Dungeons & Dragons. I lent it to my psychology teacher the entire set of six Tapes and he claimed to give it back to me but he never did. I was disappointed that I lost the set because it was interesting and amusing and a little scary all at the same time.And I think you would love The Big Bang Theory.

      Delete
    4. I think that, like with Harry Potter much later on, there was a huge religious backlash against Dungeons & Dragons because they claimed it was enrolling teens into witchery or something ridiculous like this. Personally, I'm pretty much the opposite of a religious person so I think it's a huge case of "the pot calling the kettle black".

      I did start watching The Big Bang Theory a few years ago but I really couldn't get into it. Middle Son loved it though. I might try it again in the future.

      Delete
  6. Sorry your chain broke again. Hope you can get it repaired. As for those dishes, I think they breed when they are left in the sink or on the counters overnight! Papers tend to do that, too - I can leave 2 pieces of paper out and the next thing I know, there's a whole stack of them! Love the picture of the kitten inspecting the broom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you are so right! Papers do that at my house as well :)

      Delete
  7. My husband immediately signed up for the USPS emails (it's not available in our ZIP code yet, but will be soon). He seems to think it's a great idea to know what to expect in your mailbox. I guess the post office scans everything that it handles already (thinking maybe they started after 9/11?), so someone thought to share this information. It's a free service. I guess it would be great if you think someone might steal your mail. *Shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess so. As for me, I love checking the mail because of the anticipation of what I might find in it. But these days it's always a bunch of junk and catalogs (which are junk too). I'm not quite sure how I ended up on all those catalogs' mailing lists, most of them I've never ordered from!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!