Friday, March 10, 2017

Food Waste Friday: 3/10/17



  • I threw away half a bowl of Rice Krispies on Monday morning because the milk I had poured in it had indeed soured and, try as I might, I could only gulp down half of the bowl before deciding that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't finish it.

  • I also threw away about 1/4 cup of diced black olives that had spoiled in the fridge.









    • I made egg salad sandwiches with two hard-boiled eggs that had started to smell a little sulfurous but the sandwiches tasted fine.  

    • We ate the leftovers.

    • Greg continues to use the Kraft Fat Free Italian dressing that has a sell-by date of 2008 on his salads!  My hero! LOL. He says he likes it.

    • I ate an apple that has started to spoil.

    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    8 comments:

    1. You did well - you saved more than what you threw away! I had to toss a few of the outer leaves of a head of lettuce, but the rest of the head was fine. Tossed the last few slices of bread from the old loaf as it had started to get moldy! But, otherwise, it was a pretty good week.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm trying to get organized here- I just cleaned out the fridge and sadly threw way some leftovers that had been around too long IMO. Sliced egg sandwich- I've never tried it but my little brother used to eat mayonaise sandwiches. Yes- white bread and a tablespoon or so of mayo. Actually it was probably miracle whip in those days! I eat very little bread myself- a loaf would last me 2 + weeks so I never buy it. Occasionally I'll buy a package of buns and make myself a veggie burger or hamburger. I have no idea what I am eating today which is not a good thing- I think I'll open a can of tuna fish and 'doctor' it up for some tuna salad. I love the fact you can bike to the library. I have 2 within 10 minutes but a drive! I love the library and youngest daughter actually was a librarian before she moved to SF and had the baby. Well, for a year she was. She got her master's in it right after college and found a job in Texas. I should get dressed- I'm running late this AM. Have a nice Saturday.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. One of the reasons why we bought this house was that the library was just down the street, originally. And then, within the first few months of us moving in, it moved about half a mile away. I was upset, but it's still really easy to walk or bike there. We love the library so much.

        I cannot fathom how someone eats so little bread, hahaha. I love bread more than chocolate.

        Have a great Saturday, Nan!

        Delete
    3. I rarely eat sandwiches. I'm more of a soup gal. I'll make a big pan of soup and eat it for 3 or 4 days and then freeze the leftovers of if I'm organized. I'll freeze some first! I lose weight very slowly but believe me, I can out on 5 pounds overnight. I was never overweight until my mid 40s and then every year I'd gain 5 + pounds and not be able to take it off. Of course it doesn't help to be so sedentary.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's so much harder to lose weight when you're older and then if you have a hypothyroid problem it's even harder than that! It doesn't help that I haven't been good with my food intake, drinking or exercising at all.

        I love soup! When the inspiration strikes, I make myself soup on Monday morning and eat it for lunch every day of the week! I have this cookbook called "The Soup Bible" with so many yummy recipes, but I always tend to make the same ones. I ought to try making a new one every week.

        Delete
    4. Salad dressing is really one of those foods I consider "bunker food." I've eaten that stuff way out of date, too, though I admit that 2008 is courageous!

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!