I hope you had a less wasteful week than mine. I'm disappointed in how much food I had to dispose of this week. You'd think by now I'd be a much better steward of my fridge!
- The last slice of blueberry oatmeal bread got moldy so I had to throw it away.
- About 1/2 a cup of milk that was really sour. I had no use for it, even for pancakes, so I dumped it.
- A hamburger patty that I had cooked and forgotten in the pan.. for several days. Yeah, I haven't been good about doing the dishes every night.
- A can of tomato paste that had a sell-by date of 2014. When I opened it, the sound of escaping gas and the surging paste alerted me that it might not be a good idea to use it so I threw it away. I guess I should have composted it? Oh well.
- This morning I looked through my fridge and decided the 2 hearts of Romaine lettuce had to go, along with the 1.5 cucumber that was left. All had started to rot. Arrgh, I hate wasting produce.
- I used up sour milk in pancakes and strawberry summer cake.
- All the strawberries that I bought 2 weeks ago were eaten without a single one having to be thrown away! I used them in my cereal, in cakes and we ate them whole. Still, it did take the 2 weeks to finish them, which is unusual.
- The chicken thighs that had a sell-by date of Feb 24 and that had been in my fridge for a month were still fine so I cooked them in the crockpot and make Chicken in Enchilada sauce that I'm told was very good.
- We ate the leftovers all week for lunches.
I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.
This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.