Friday, March 3, 2017

Food Waste Friday



  • I composted half a head of cauliflower last weekend. I had bought it for Greg to munch on but he wouldn't think of it unless I cut it up in chunks for him and I kept forgetting to do that :(

  • I finally threw away the bag of organic rye flour that had been in my pantry for a few years. It was rancid so I couldn't do anything with it.

  • I also composted about half a jar of bruschetta sauce that had been in the fridge for... many months. It had spoiled.

  • I was going to eat a heel of bread that was already kind of stale and an old wedge of Aldi's brand of Laughing Cow cheese that had been in my fridge too long... but when I looked at my plate, they were both really unappetizing so I just threw them away. Sigh.

  • I had to throw away the rest of the turkey/veggies leftovers from last week as they spoiled.

  • Earlier this morning I encountered a weird situation in which the milk curdled as soon as I added it to my coffee (but it's not curdled in the jug and it's fine in my cereal!) so I had to dump 2 cups of coffee because, even though I tried, I don't like chunky coffee!








    • I had a bag of Greg's favorite chips (Aldi's pumpkin seed tortilla chips) in the back of my pantry so I brought it along when we went hiking last weekend.  The sell-by date was December 2015!  I thought they tasted stale but Greg likes them the way they are (weirdo!) so he'd been eating them.  You can bake them to "refresh" them, apparently, I might try to do that.

    • I used up the rest of the lettuce that I had cut up for the burritos last week in a salad.

    • I scraped the bottom of a container of Gatorade powder to dislodge all the powder caked in the folds of the plastic container and used it up in my water bottle.

    • I also thoroughly scrapped the sides of an "empty" jar of peanut butter and was able to make one more PBJ out of it. Woohoo!

    • I made cupcakes with a box of cake mix bought on clearance a long time ago and the rest of a can of frosting that had also been in my fridge for many months.  The kids loved them, there was no food waste there, that's for sure!

    • We ate most of the leftovers, this week (save for that turkey/veggie container from last week that I ended up having to throw away).
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    2 comments:

    1. You did well with keeping the food waste to a minimum, Nathalie. I haven't cleaned out the fridge, yet, but I have half a container of coconut milk that should be thrown and I need to take a look at the rest of the head of lettuce in the veggie drawer. I really need to be better about using up stuff or freezing them, but I didn't plan on getting sick, last week, and I haven't felt much like cooking or eating as a result.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks but I think I had too much waste. But it can't really be avoided easily when you're trying to clean the fridge, sometimes. Oh well. I don't blame you for not being in the mood to cook when you were sick. I'm never in the mood to cook, even when I feel fine :) I hope you are recovered now so you can enjoy the week with your daughter.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!