Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less. This week, I ended up going shopping on Monday as I was driving through Clermont on my way back from my BFF's. I decided to do most of my shopping at Walmart and use my Swagbucks gift cards. Then I went to Aldi to get cat litter and ended up also getting some strawberries, tortilla chips, sliced turkey, and a bag of tropical trail mix, so not everything was free :) I didn't use any coupons at all and I only redeemed 2 rebates.
My favorite finds were half-priced (on clearance) cold rotisserie chickens at Walmart at $2.49 each! I grabbed 4 of them. I also finally located the bakery clearance cart. I thought they had done away with it, but they ended up moving it near the butter section. I avoided the donuts but I did grab the loaf of Hawaiian bread that had been reduced to $2.57.
The Swagbucks gift cards saved me $58.96, woohoo! All items purchased at Walmart unless otherwise indicated, and I'm going to add a (SBGC) after each item which was free because it was purchased with a SB gift card instead of repeating "but free with my SB GC" each time.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $9.96
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $9.96
Money left in budget: $90.04
Money left in budget for the month (4 weeks @ $100): $277.74
Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP
- We loved that lemon cake so much the last time I made it, that I decided to buy another box of cake mix to keep in my pantry.
- 1 box Pillsbury lemon cake mix, priced at $1.00 (SBGC)
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
Breads/Baked Goods: $0.00 OOP
- 2 loaves white bread, priced at $1.28 each (SBGC)
- 1 package 8-ct hamburger buns, priced at $1.25 (SBGC)
- 1 round loaf Hawaiian bread, was $4.28 but priced on clearance at $2.57 (SBGC)
Dairy: MINUS $0.50 OOP
- There wasn't a Crystal Farms rebate in my Ibotta offers when I shopped on Monday, but I noticed one on Wednesday so I unlocked it and submitted my Monday Walmart receipt just in case and was credited with the $0.50 immediately. Woohoo!
- Proof that Walmart isn't, in fact, trying to compete to Aldi in my neck of the woods: their generic American cheese slices are $1.15 more than Aldi's! That's when I hesitate to get them for free because I'd usually rather keep my gift cards to buy items that I can't find at Aldi like bread flour. So I really had to wrestle with my frugality principles today to accept to use my SB gift card to pay for this overpriced cheese!
- 1 package Crystal Farms string cheese, priced at $2.93 (SBGC) and redeemed a $0.50 Ibotta rebate
- 1 package American cheese slices, priced at $2.94 (SBGC)
- I was happy to find the No Salt Added beans at Walmart. I try to buy "no salt added" cans as often as I can.
- I also was happy not to have to buy a whole 8 or 12-pack of Ramen noodles because every time I do, I end up with pantry moths. I just needed 1 pack to make my favorite Chinese Cabbage Salad for lunch.
- 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi), priced at $1.19
- 3 cans No Salt Added black beans, priced at $0.72 each (SBGC)
- 1 package Ramen noodles, priced at $0.25 (SBGC)
- 1 lb strawberries (Aldi), on sale at $0.99
- 5 lbs Red Delicious apples, priced at $5.42 (SBGC)
- 2.62 lbs bananas, priced at $1.47 (SBGC)
- 0.80 lb yellow onion, priced at $0.78 (SBGC)
- 3 lbs clementines, priced at $4.97 (SBGC) and redeemed a $0.10 MobiSave rebate
- I finally stocked up on tilapia! We already had it for dinner once this week.
- I was super excited to find the 50% off chickens that were already cooked! I could have bought more but only 4 would fit in my fridge until I decided what to do with them. The kids and I ate lunch with the white meat on several occasions, I served a whole chicken for dinner one night. I'll pluck the rest of the meat (as I type this on Wednesday) and freeze it in baggies to use for future quesadillas, soups, etc.
- I had bought the roast beef at Walmart but also wanted turkey once I got to Aldi so I paid out of pocket for it.
- 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi), @ $3.49
- 4 lbs frozen tilapia fillets, priced at $10.92 (SBGC)
- 4 lemon pepper rotisserie chickens, were $4.98 each but reduced to $2.49 each (SBGC)
- 2 cans tuna, priced at $0.78 each (SBGC)
- 1 lb sliced roast beef, priced at $3.98 (SBGC)
Snacks: $4.89 OOP
- I had been dreaming about the big bag of tropical trail mix since I saw it last week and since I knew that I wanted to do a lot of reading this week, I decided to treat myself (and definitely torpedo any weightloss efforts). Oh well, it's Spring Break.
- The gum was also a splurge as I usually buy it on BOGO at Publix but I neglected to do that the last time it was on sale and now I'm almost out so I grabbed a bottle at Walmart
- The sour worms are for my son. I'll give it to him to take to the D&D game on Saturday.
- 1 large bag tropical trail mix (Aldi), @ $4.89
- 1 bottle Mentos gum, priced at $2.96 (SBGC)
- 1 bag sour worms, priced at $1.00 (SBGC)
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)