Saturday, March 18, 2017

Grocery Shopping This Past Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.  This week, I ended up going shopping on Monday as I was driving through Clermont on my way back from my BFF's.  I decided to do most of my shopping at Walmart and use my Swagbucks gift cards.  Then I went to Aldi to get cat litter and ended up also getting some strawberries,  tortilla chips, sliced turkey, and a bag of tropical trail mix, so not everything was free :)  I didn't use any coupons at all and I only redeemed 2 rebates.

My favorite finds were half-priced (on clearance) cold rotisserie chickens at Walmart at $2.49 each!  I grabbed 4 of them.  I also finally located the bakery clearance cart. I thought they had done away with it, but they ended up moving it near the butter section.  I avoided the donuts but I did grab the loaf of Hawaiian bread that had been reduced to $2.57.

The Swagbucks gift cards saved me $58.96, woohoo!  All items purchased at Walmart unless otherwise indicated, and I'm going to add a (SBGC) after each item which was free because it was purchased with a SB gift card instead of repeating "but free with my SB GC" each time.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $9.96
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $9.96
Money left in budget: $90.04

Money left in budget for the month (4 weeks @ $100): $277.74

Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  1. We loved that lemon cake so much the last time I made it, that I decided to buy another box of cake mix to keep in my pantry.
  • 1 box Pillsbury lemon cake mix, priced at $1.00 (SBGC)

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.00 OOP
  • 2 loaves white bread, priced at $1.28 each  (SBGC)
  • 1  package 8-ct hamburger buns, priced at $1.25  (SBGC)
  • 1 round loaf Hawaiian bread, was $4.28 but priced on clearance at $2.57 (SBGC)

 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None

Dairy: MINUS $0.50 OOP
  1. There wasn't a Crystal Farms rebate in my Ibotta offers when I shopped on Monday, but I noticed one on Wednesday so I unlocked it and submitted my Monday Walmart receipt just in case and was credited with the $0.50 immediately. Woohoo!
  2. Proof that Walmart isn't, in fact, trying to compete to Aldi in my neck of the woods: their generic American cheese slices are $1.15 more than Aldi's!  That's when I hesitate to get them for free because I'd usually rather keep my gift cards to buy items that I can't find at Aldi like bread flour. So I really had to wrestle with my frugality principles today to accept to use my SB gift card to pay for this overpriced cheese!
  • 1 package Crystal Farms string cheese, priced at $2.93  (SBGC) and redeemed a $0.50 Ibotta rebate
  • 1 package  American cheese slices, priced at $2.94  (SBGC)

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $1.19 OOP 
  1. I was happy to find the No Salt Added beans at Walmart. I try to buy "no salt added" cans as often as I can.
  2. I also was happy not to have to buy a whole 8 or 12-pack of Ramen noodles because every time I do, I end up with pantry moths.  I just needed 1 pack to make my favorite Chinese Cabbage Salad for lunch.
  • 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi), priced at $1.19
  • 3 cans No Salt Added black beans, priced at $0.72 each  (SBGC)
  • 1 package Ramen noodles, priced at $0.25  (SBGC)
Produce/Juice: $0.89
  • 1 lb strawberries (Aldi), on sale at $0.99
  • 5 lbs Red Delicious apples, priced at $5.42 (SBGC)
  • 2.62 lbs bananas, priced at $1.47 (SBGC)
  • 0.80 lb yellow onion, priced at $0.78 (SBGC)
  • 3 lbs clementines, priced at $4.97 (SBGC) and redeemed a $0.10 MobiSave rebate

Proteins: $3.49 OOP
  1. I finally stocked up on tilapia!  We already had it for dinner once this week.
  2. I was super excited to find the 50% off chickens that were already cooked!  I could have bought more but only 4 would fit in my fridge until I decided what to do with them. The kids and I ate lunch with the white meat on several occasions, I served a whole chicken for dinner one night. I'll pluck the rest of the meat (as I type this on Wednesday) and freeze it in baggies to use for future quesadillas, soups, etc.
  3. I had bought the roast beef at Walmart but also wanted turkey once I got to Aldi so I paid out of pocket for it.
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi), @ $3.49
  • 4 lbs frozen tilapia fillets, priced at $10.92 (SBGC)
  • 4 lemon pepper rotisserie chickens, were $4.98 each but reduced to $2.49 each  (SBGC)
  • 2 cans tuna, priced at $0.78 each (SBGC)
  • 1 lb sliced roast beef, priced at $3.98 (SBGC)

Snacks: $4.89 OOP
  1. I had been dreaming about the big bag of tropical trail mix since I saw it last week and since I knew that I wanted to do a lot of reading this week, I decided to treat myself (and definitely torpedo any weightloss efforts). Oh well, it's Spring Break.
  2. The gum was also a splurge as I usually buy it on BOGO at Publix but I neglected to do that the last time it was on sale and now I'm almost out so I grabbed a bottle at Walmart
  3. The sour worms are for my son. I'll give it to him to take to the D&D game on Saturday.
  • 1 large bag tropical trail mix (Aldi), @ $4.89
  • 1 bottle Mentos gum, priced at $2.96 (SBGC)
  • 1 bag sour worms, priced at $1.00 (SBGC)

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

6 comments:

  1. Nice! Great deal on those chickens, especially! Even though I get so frustrated by swagbucks, I have to say that your success makes me reconsider every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura, if you weren't already stretched so thin, I would encourage you to work on Swagbucks because yes, the gift cards are really nice, but it is so frustrating and time consuming that, right now at least, I'm really going to have to say it would be super counter-productive for you, quite honestly. But that's just my 2 cents!

      Delete
  2. I love how you bought a whole week's worth of groceries for just under $10! Amazing! I found refrigerated biscuits, 5 count tubes, on sale for $.50 each (reg. price $2.29) and bought 3. That was my main good deal for the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great deal on those biscuits, Bless! I love those biscuits but they don't love my hips or I'd be buying them way more often!

      It was so nice not to actually pay for the Walmart haul, but I'll tell ya, I'm burned out on Swagbucks again so it might be a while before I can replicate this once I use up my current gift cards!

      Delete
  3. No bargains except 2 heads of cabbage at Aldi's for 25 cent each! I also have to go back after church today and return something drat it. I hate returning things but this package of raw nuts could have been opened before. My plan was to make some granola for the grandsons. My grocery bill varies a lot depending on my baking! I made rolls yesterday and froze them. Nephew is having knee surgery tomorrow so I thought I'd bake him cinnamon rolls for later in the week. One of my clients has a birthday this week so I'll be making him cheesecake- Aldi's had cream cheese the cheapest I've seen it for some time. I bought 10 packages- $.85 each. My recipe takes 5 packages. No plans for today except to resume walking. Since all I did at Disney, I have hardly walked at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh 25 cents A HEAD?! That's wonderful! I don't think it's quite that low in my neck of the woods and I forgot to look at the veggies when I was there yesterday. Now you're making me want to go back!

      And rolls and cheesecake, yum. So... I'll be in St Augustine tomorrow and you're lucky I don't know where you are or I might have dropped by to pick up "my" share, hahaha. Just kidding. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and your baking, Nan!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!