Saturday, March 4, 2017

World War II Skirmish Reenactment ~ Saturday 3/4/17


I did something I hadn't done in quite a while: I slept in until 8:30 a.m.!  And I only got up because my foot had rang to remind me to stretch my feet.  My sleep quality was only so-so but it was so nice and felt so luxurious to wake up, tell myself I didn't have to get up, realize that the kittens were also quite comfortable around me on the bed, pet them to elucidate a quite purr, and then go back to sleep!

It's chilly again this morning (for Florida, of course) with a temp of 58F at 8:45 a.m., so I haven't opened the windows yet.

Our plan for today is to drive to Bushnell, about 30 minutes away, to attend the WWII Skirmish Reenactment at the Dade Battlefield Historic State Park.  This will be my and my son's 3rd time that we attend, Greg's second.  I hope there are plenty of reenactors and exhibits as we like to explore those and ask questions of the reenactors about their collections. The battle is at 2 p.m so we will eat lunch at home and leave at about 12:30 p.m.

Pig on the Pond is this weekend. It's a big fair-type of event on the lakefront in Clermont with lots of fundraising booths for charity, fair rides, concerts, and a barbecue contest.  We used to take the kids when they were little, although it was always very crowded, something that we don't like. In later years, the kids volunteered there with NHS or their band and JROTC units to raise funds for their activities.  This year, my daughter is planning on attending with her BFF strictly to have fun.   We're skipping it as it is not our son's cup of tea either.

I'm trying to decide whether to do some chores before we leave but right now, at 9:40 a.m., I'm comfy on the couch with my second mug of coffee and still in my PJs. I might even try to do some reading!

TO DO LIST
  • Roast the chicken for dinner DONE
  • Give a driving lesson to my son with the stick shift 
  • Clean bathroom ceiling
  • Make my bed DONE
  • Earn Microsoft Rewards credits DONE
  • Input weight into WHBRHC DONE
  • Set 15 minute timer and try to accomplish as many chores as possible in that time
  • Do the dishes by hand, drain/dry in the dishwasher (AFTER DINNER) 
  • Vacuum Youngest Son's bedroom
  • Make a dermatologist appointment for Youngest Son
  • Back up external drive to its own external drive!
  • Start a list of the electric outlets that I want to get replaced
  • Do my foot exercises 1X
  • Exercise at least 35 minutes on my bike  (weekdays only) 
  • Read one of the library books in progress
  • Clean upstairs litter box DONE
  • Add Osmocote plant food to rose and hibiscus bushes
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Wash kitchen windows
  • Inventory the pantry
  • Inventory the freezers
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • Take RaceTrac surveys 
  • Take Driscoll's surveys
  • Take my measurements
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Finish decluttering exercise room shelves
  • Move coffee table back to living room we decided that we liked the living room without it
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts
  • Schedule an outing to P.E.A.R. Park and ask them about the trees from my backyard or look at the Audubon site that Pixel shared.
  • Write letter to my great aunt, with pictures
  • Mail letter to my great aunt
  • Go to airport to cash in my euros?!
  • Mend sliding door window screen
  • Finalize and mail letter to UPS CEO (add Amazon's comparison)
  • Plant and water the tree
  • Purge the coupon organizer I'll do it this weekend as I realized I have quite a few coupons expiring on 3/3 and I want to make sure I don't purge something that I might need between now and then.
  • Make sure I get answer from the Educational Foundation director re: Daughter's scholarship after what paperwork to fill out she'll probably answer next week since they have a big event his weekend
  • Track my and Greg's IRAs for the IRS
  • Fix the brakes on my bike again
  • Download all February pictures from phone, Canon camera, and Panasonic camera to external drive
  • Trim cats' nails
  • Get the hummingbird feeders out of storage
  • Make hummingbird nectar
  • Greg rid of cardboard boxes on the front porch
  • Make sure all pictures from the Canon camera are saved to external drive and then wipe out the memory card, format it for the Panasonic camera and swap memory cards

SUCCESSES
  • I received a flyer from the school district advertising "success seminars" for AP students later on this month. Those are free seminars designed to help the students study for their AP exams.  I had just talked to my son about those on Thursday so I signed him up for the AP Human Geography seminar. It'll be on a Saturday morning in Howey in the Hills so Greg and I will drop him off, go fishing on the Harris Chain of Lakes in Tavares, and then swing back to pick him up three hours later.

  • I ran a few videos for Swagbucks but I'm not planning on even trying to reach my 100 SB goal for the day.  Freedom!

  • I did, however, earn the daily credits for Microsoft Rewards. You earn gift cards at a much slower rate than on SB, but it's way easier and I don't need to babysit my laptop all day.

  • And, as usual, I entered my weight into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned 20 BR points.

  • I finally opened some windows at about 10 a.m. and the cats are enjoying that.

  • I reused a bread bag to clean up the upstairs litter box.

  • I puréed the second half of the pumpkin that I cooked yesterday and used 2 cups of it to bake 3 medium-size loaves of pumpkin bread. Oh I forgot to add the chocolate chips!  Arrgh, I wonder if the kids will eat it, now!  I still have about 2 more cups of purée so I'll have to dig and see if I still have pie crust patties in the freezer and make a pumpkin pie with it. If not, I'll freeze it.

  • For lunch I had some pumpkin soup from last night, an egg salad sandwich on a Sandwich Thin, and the 2nd half of a papaya.

  • I was invited to join K-Insiders, a research panel for Kellogg's, so I went ahead and joined. I hope I can earn stuff in exchange for my feedback!

  • On our way back from our outing to Dade Battlefield Historic State Park, we stopped by McDonald's where I used my app to get Greg a free chocolate shamrock shake. I didn't want anything (I ate the Special K cereal bar that I was carrying in my fanny pack) so my son ordered a whole meal (Teenagers!), which is what qualified us to get Greg's shake for free.
I got to eat the cherry!
  • We also stopped by Silver Lake Recreation Area where we found out that it would cost us $2 per person to launch the kayaks on the Withlacoochee River and Silver Lake.

  • Greg wanted to go to Ace Hardware to get catfish bait and had mentioned that one of his hiking boot was coming unglued at the sole.  I remembered that the Non Consumer Advocate always talks about Shoe Goo so I looked for it at Ace... and they had it. It was $5 but if it works, it'll have saved us $100+.

  • My son and I RSVP'd to the Dungeons and Dragons game for next Saturday night. I just noticed that there are member dues of $10 a year but we get 30 days of free trial.
  • I've decided that the "splurges" section is pretty much redundant with the "Money Spent Today" section so I'm retiring it.


  • For dinner, I baked a chicken that I had bought for $0.79/lb at Save A Lot several weeks ago, and made some frozen cheese ravioli to go with it. My daughter is out at Pig on the Pond and I told her she could buy dinner and charge it to my Discover card.


FAILURES
  • I don't think we had any?

MONEY SPENT TODAY
  • Amazon: $55 gift card for my oldest nephew's birthday
  • McDonald's: $8.51 (snacks for Greg and our son)
  • Ace Hardware: $16.01 (Shoe Goo and fishing supplies)

FREEBIES
  • Shamrock shake with app coupon

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Fed the kittens
  • Signed up my son for the AP seminar
  • Ordered a gc to be emailed to my nephew for his birthday
  • Made my bed
  • Cleaned the upstairs litter box
  • Puréed the rest of the pumpkin
  • Baked 3 loaves of pumpkin bread
  • Replied to my brother's email
  • Signed up for K-Insiders
  • Went on an outing with Greg and our son
  • Looked for a new boat launch
  • Ran an errand
  • Signed up for D&D Meet-Up next week
  • Baked chicken

GRATITUDE
  • For time spent with Greg and our son
  • For Greg giving me the cherry from his shake!
  • For delicious homemade pumpkin bread
  • For WWII veterans

FIELD TRIP: WWII WEEKEND AT DADE BATTLEFIELD HISTORIC STATE PARK


I think I'll skip going in the future.  The first year we went, there were fewer re-enactors on the battlefield, but there were more people interested in sharing their knowledge, it seems. Maybe because we got there earlier than we did today. In any case, I found the whole thing pretty uninteresting today. I must be losing my taste for seeing grown men play with blank-loaded rifles and tumbling in the dirt.

There was one gentleman who had a tent with various food rations (K rations, etc.) displayed and who explained to us how the troops were fed during WWII and what rations they got. He was very nice.

I enjoyed being out on a beautiful day with my husband and my son but the event itself was meh.   I wasn't all that interested so when an osprey flew over the trees in the distances, I tried taking pictures of that instead.

At the end, the guy who played the commander of the American forces said he wanted to quote "a certain president who won 2 terms but for whom I certainly didn't vote for AND I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIS WIFE EITHER!" Whatever, dude, if you didn't want to quote Clinton, then don't quote him but keep your freaking politics to yourself on a day when people are out enjoying themselves.  I was really ticked off.  I would have felt the same if the situation had been reversed.  It's one of the reasons why we don't watch the NFL anymore, we just want them to play football and not have to constantly be promoting causes or making political statements.


Before the "battle"

Hey look! An osprey! I didn't zoom far enough.


This guy was my favorite. He played dead very well!

It's a little hard to pretend it's France during WWII with the saw palmettos in the background, the sun and nice lawn, etc!

I miss France!
There were several WWII veterans present and when the president of the historical society who puts the event together introduced them, he said something to the effect that we should hurry up and thank them for their service, because they were dropping very fast.  Wow, Greg and I felt that was very uncouth for him to say, however true, right to their faces.

12 comments:

  1. I used to love reenactments when I was a kid. I haven't gone to any for quite some time. We had a historical days event every year in my home town (we were right on the cusp of where the colonial frontier was, in Western PA) and also was able to attend some Civil War reenactments at Gettysburg.

    I have some shoe goo for my shoe repair goal, but have yet to use it. I realized that I bought black instead of clear, which had been my intention. Oh well. I can still use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoy Civil War Reenactments as well. I was telling Greg that the folks that put the WWII reenactment together should talk to the folks that put our local Civil War Reenactment together because they need pointers to make this more of an interesting event, IMO.

      I didn't realize that Shoe Goo came in various colors so I went to check mine and it's clear. Not that it would have mattered with Greg's hiking boots, but I'm assuming we might want to use the rest of the tube for other shoes, possibly. Speaking of which, I don't know when we'll be able to glue his boots back together because that's what he wears to work too and apparently they have to cure for at least 24 hours.

      Delete
  2. Your pumpkin bread looks delicious! I'm sure the kids won't mind that there aren't any chocolate chips in them. I see that your lemon cake is all but gone! :)

    I'm glad you got to sleep in for a change! And that you got to spend the afternoon with your husband and son, even if the re-enactment wasn't as interesting as in previous years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the last piece of lemon cake right after our hike yesterday since I had packed it in a Tupperware and, oh boy how delicious! I'm definitely going to buy that mix again, we all loved it.

      You are right, my son didn't mind the lack of chocolate chips as he ate most of the first loaf! I'm defrosting the 2nd loaf for his snacks over the next couple of days. I don't think my daughter had any, she's not a fan of cinnamon-flavored treats.

      The long night was indeed welcome! It almost felt decadent, ha.

      Delete
  3. My dad was a WWII vet and he's been dead since 1994. Dad was in the navy. He never talked about it much though and I sure wish I had asked more questions. Your pumpkin bread looks good- I like it but I've never been a fan of bananas or banana bread. I'm still eating fish but I did pop some popcorn Friday night, saved the leftover and still have some. I use the stovetop method and buy only white corn. When you use coconut oil to pop it, it tastes really good- no butter needed. I think I'll go to Beall's after church- I didn't buy a suit and the two I own are OK but I'd like more of a girdle fit haha for the belly. We'll see how I feel. I did call and chat with my cousin who lives in the Midwest. She and I are just 9 days apart in age and have a lot in common. She'd contemplating moving closer to her daughter- all 3 of her kids live pretty far away- but then she's afraid daughter will leave that area when her kids graduate from HS. They're 8th and sophomores now. Not much else going on- cooler weather and lots of leaves still falling. My grass looks awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg's grandpa was also in the Navy in WWII. I'm a genealogy afficionada so when I started doing research on his family, his dad told us that Greg's grandpa had been sunk by a German submarine off the coast of the USA in the Caribbean and had gotten some medal for it. Only when I went to get a proof of that, there was no record of his type of PC boat having been sunk in similar circumstances where he was said to have been sunk (he was said to have floated in the water for 3 days prior to getting rescued), and no traces of a medal of any kind either. We tried to obtain his military records, but apparently there was a huge fire that destroyed a lot of the WWII Navy records and his were included. That was really disappointing!

      I use coconut oil to make kettle corn and it's delicious, but only the Trader Joe's brand of coconut oil because it actually imparts a little coconut-y taste to it that I love. I tried other brands of coconut oil and I was really disappointed so I stocked up on coconut oil at Trader Joe's last year but I keep on forgetting to make popcorn!

      I would need a girdle on my bathing suit too, were I to ever wear one again. I actually have several of them that should still fit, as my friend who moved from Florida to Maine insisted on my taking all of hers. But we're not beach people and we don't have a pool and since the kids are grown we don't go to water parks anymore so I can't imagine needing to be in a bathing suit for a long time now, to my great relief!

      Would your cousin consider moving closer to you? If you two are close, it might be nice to have her nearby?

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a WWII reenactment. But, of course, it makes sense that there would be people interested in doing that. We have Civil War reenactments around here because I live in an area close to where a lot of Civil War battles took place. However, they're not my cup of tea. Because war is hell as they say and I don't want to watch people relive it. But I know that historically, it is very important to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg and I are both interested in military history so we enjoy these kinds of displays, usually. Greg is ex-military and reads a lot of books about military conflicts. He's quite knowledgeable.

      Years ago, when my boys were little, I had found out that there was a Roman Empire Legions Reenactment up in Georgia and I'd always wanted to take them to one of those! But I never did. I should check whether it's still going on, hahaha.

      I really like our Civil War Reenactment because instead of feeling like it's grown men playing at war (which it really is), it feels like they're honoring the fallen soldiers of both sides. First of, there is a battle on Saturday and a battle on Sunday and they switch which side wins the battle. Secondly, they play taps at the end of the battle, to honor the real dead of the conflict, and then the reenactors rise and we applaud. Lastly, they have a gun salute at the end, again to honor the dead of that conflict and of all conflicts in the history of the USA. It's actually very touching. We also enjoy the sutlers and the reenactors manning the various tents in the encampment that teach about how the medics took care of the wounded during and after the battles, the telegraph, recruitment, etc. It definitely has more the feel of a living history event than just a fun rump in the dirt.

      I would also say that I'm more sensitive to the reenactment of the WWII battle "in France" since it's supposed to take place in my native country and my grandfather fought in WWII. The only French involvement they show in the skirmish we attended is limited to 2 girls supposed to represent the French Resistance and all they do, as the men have their weapons and act all macho, is giggle and bring French bread and wine to the Germans to distract them. I found it very insulting and condescending, as a French native and as a woman. Anyhoo, as I said, I think I'll skip it next year.

      Delete
  5. The President of the historical society was certainly uncouth, but it did make me chuckle. That's something I would expect from a late 20s early 30s something person, not someone who's the president of the historical Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I was cringing so hard. I just hope that the WWII veterans themselves didn't hear him too well.

      Delete
  6. War reenactments leave me with mixed feelings. I know they are honoring important parts of history (as you said) but they sometimes leave me wondering if the people realize how serious/horrible war is. It strikes me as somewhat uniquely American. Do they have reenactments in France?

    Reenactments are very popular in South Carolina and we visited a revolutionary war reenactment there once, with visitors from Germany. One of the actors played a German soldier (Hessian soldiers fought on the side of the British). My German visitors were curious and talked to the actor afterwards. Where did he learn German? It turned out that he had attended the same university in Munich that one of my German visitor had attended. Talk about a small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of reenactments until about 20 years ago so I don't know for sure if they have them in France or not, but I think they're quite common in the UK from what I've read.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!