Sunday, April 16, 2017

A Quiet Day At Home ~ Sunday 4/16/17


I slept so much last night that I feel all discombobulated!  After my two and a half hour nap in the late afternoon, I slept from 11 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. this morning and only got up because I wanted coffee!

It's now 11:16 a.m. and I'm feeling energy-less and tired!  What gives?!  I kicked the kittens out of my bedroom at 6:30 a.m. since they were playing and making too much noise, and then Explorer cried and cried outside my door and I didn't care and went back to sleep. They woke up Greg instead :)  He was too tired to go fishing so he stayed home and read his book on his Kindle.

He and I had coffee this morning while listening to the Tony Bennett station on Pandora. I had meant to go sit outside with the birds, but suddenly it all seemed too far away, lol.

I'm posting my To Do List today only because I really need to do a couple of things so having it posted on my screen will (hopefully) nag me into doing them.

TO DO LIST
  • Defrost meat for dinner  DONE
  • Make menu for the week DONE
  • Work on shopping list in progress
  • Schedule trip to Trader Joe's (need whipped cream)
  • Scrub the bathtub 
  • Research state parks to visit next weekend
  • Declutter the printer stand in progress
  • Give a driving lesson to my son with the stick shift - Not going to do it today since he's still feverish :(
  • Take Youngest Son to get a haircut Greg tried but the salon was closed
  • Clean bathroom ceiling 
  • Clean hallway ceiling right outside the bathroom
  • Make my bed 
  • Earn Microsoft Rewards credits DONE
  • Input weight into WHBRHC  
  • Set 15 minute timer and try to accomplish as many chores as possible in that time
  • Unload dishwasher DONE
  • Do the dishes from the past few days DONE
  • Do the dishes by hand, drain/dry in the dishwasher (AFTER DINNER) 
  • Put mattress out with the trash (Tuesday morning) 
  • Make a dermatologist appointment for Youngest Son
  • Back up external drive to its own external drive!
  • Start a list of the electric outlets that I want to get replaced
  • Exercise at least 35 minutes on my bike  (weekdays only)  
  • Clean upstairs litter box  DONE (very late last night)
  • Put away the clipped articles from Kiplinger's magazine 
  • Inventory the pantry
  • Inventory the freezers
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • Take RaceTrac surveys DONE
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach (wear old clothes and shoes, gloves and goggles)
  • Finish decluttering exercise room shelves
  • Call my bank to consolidate my IRA accounts
  • Ask Discovery Gardens staff about the trees from my backyard or look at the Audubon site that Pixel shared.
  • Mend sliding door window screen - get cat resistant screening material?
  • Plant and water the tree
  • Water potted plants (berm, patio, near shed, front porch) every other day 
  • Track my and Greg's IRAs for the IRS
  • Download all February and March pictures from Canon camera, and Panasonic camera to external drive in progress
  • Reply to blog comments  DONE
  • Purge the dresser in the upstairs hallway
  • Purge the top drawer of the file cabinet
  • File all the pending documents
  • Use brush on fridge coils
  • Schedule maintenance appointment for my SUV
  • Try making yogurt in yogurt maker
  • See if can mend Youngest Son former backpack straps
  • Read a library book in progress
  • Contact Juliet to schedule lunch this month
  • Preserve the peppers and tomatoes that are on my counter 
  • Take cuttings of the jasmine and root them
  • Ask to take cuttings of the neighbor's hibiscus and root them
  • Sew headphones in place
  • Add bleach to furnace line
  • Print copy of insurance card and give to Youngest Son to put in his wallet DONE
  • Schedule credit card payments DONE
  • Add Drano to kitchen sink plumbing for preventative maintenance
  • Take Youngest Son shopping for jeans and shorts
  • Get new cushions for front porch swing from Target?
  • Track Greg's new pay stub in my Tax Worksheet DONE
  • Input receipts into spreadsheets DONE
  • Put BFF's travel dates on my calendar (for airport run duty) DONE, need her itinerary
  • Ask her to send me her itinerary with flight info emailed her to ask for it
  • Put Greg's travel plans on my calendar too DONE
  • Spray oven and clean it DONE
  • Print coupons DONE
  • Clip coupons DONE
  • File coupons in organizer DONE
  • Take down 4 crumbling self-watering bins
  • Re-mulch the newly empty spaces
  • Mix more Chicago Steak Seasoning
  • Mix more Ten Things Farm Seasoning
  • Mix Chili Seasoning for Friday
  • Add zippered plastic bag to fanny pack to protect camera if it rains
  • Bake peanut butter sheet cake (Baking notebook for recipe) - Daughter made the bunny cake instead
  • Order graduation announcements - Middle Son Waiting for him to email me his picture

SUCCESSES AND FAILURES OF THE DAY
  • I slept in!  It was glorious!

  • But now I have no energy. Zip. Coffee didn't help either.

  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits and a few SB. I'm not bothering with the videos today, I'm over Swagbucks.

  • Youngest Son said he "felt better" again this morning but he's still running a low-grade fever and coughing.  Arrgh.

  • I printed coupons via Swagbucks and Smartsource.  I uploaded digital coupons to my CVS and Publix wallets.

  • I received a notification from my McDonald's app that due to the Orlando City Soccer team scoring yesterday, I get a freebie today... so I checked and I have a coupon for a large fries, no purchase required but good only today. I might have to drag myself over there??  Note to self: they no longer require that we wear an Orlando City Soccer item to redeem the freebie so I ought to mail the T-shirt that I had bought for my little nephew to him!

  • Greg ate leftover BBQ pulled pork and rice leftovers for lunch.  I decided to have the last of the Mock Zuppa Toscana Soup with half a flat bread and half a papaya.

  • I defrosted about 1.5 lbs of ground beef for making cheeseburgers tonight. I'll steam the ears of corn that I had bought at Aldi this week to go with it and there's also some salad leftovers.

  • Greg took our son to get their hair cut at Great Clips.  They each have a prepaid card (I had prepaid for several haircuts at $9.99 each instead of the $14 price tag in store) and I gave my son $2 in cash for the tip.  I hope the salon is actually open since it's Easter!  My app shows that the one in Clermont is closed but doesn't specify anything for ours.  Update: they came home still looking shaggy as indeed the salon had been closed. Greg had forgotten it was Easter.

  • They did stop by RaceTrac, where he bought the kids some Reese's candy, using a "buy two, get 1 free" coupon on his app, and he also topped off his gas tank.  He got a receipt for the gas, but forgot to obtain one for the candy. Grrr. I could have gotten another freebie!

  • In the meantime, I did all the dishes from the past few days, while watching 2 episodes of "Forensic Files" via Netflix on my Kindle Fire.  At least I'm getting our money's worth from our subscription these days!

  • I also scrubbed the oven that I had sprayed with oven cleaner a couple of nights ago.

  • Earlier today my daughter had asked if she could make the Bunny Garden cake that I had asked her to make last week but I had said no since the oven hadn't been cleaned. I told her it was now clean but I'm not sure if she still feels like making the cake. Update: she's making it!

  • Greg decided to go kayaking on the Palatlakaha River and invited me to come along but I just laughed.  My exercise for the day had been doing the dishes. Now I was ready to just veg :)  So he went on his own.

  • I clipped all the coupons and put them away in my organizer.

  • Then I tracked our latest expenses in my spreadsheets.

  • I took Customer Satisfaction surveys that will allow me to get some freebies (two RaceTrac surveys and one Subway survey).

  • I tracked Greg's latest paystub in my Tax Worksheet. $80 were automatically sent to our "New Car" savings account.

  • Then I reconciled credit card statements and scheduled several payments online, on their due date.

  • Lastly, I balanced our checkbook.

  • I had forgotten to check the mail yesterday so I tried to retrieve it today. However, once again, the mailperson shoved the mail all the way against the door to my mailbox, blocking the locking mechanism, so I am unable to open the box and retrieve the mail!  I wrote a note that I will stick on the mailbox tomorrow. Grrr. I don't understand why she can't put the mail into one of the parcel boxes (they are empty) and just leave the key to the parcel box in my mailbox when there is so much mail, or one of those sample boxes that barely fit in the box!  It's really not brain surgery.

  • The cake that my daughter made turned out great!  The frosting was a little bit thin so the carrots and the grass wouldn't stay "in 3D" but it still looks way better than it would have had I made it!
Instead of using chocolate cookie crumbs for the dirt, she just baked the cake and then crumbled up the top a little. 

  • I looked into the fridge and the freezer and designed a menu for the upcoming week.

  • I watched "Forensic Files" on Netflix all afternoon while doing my various paperwork tasks :)

  • For dinner, I cooked cheeseburgers and corn on the cob.  We had bunny cake for dessert and it was delicious!  Just the right ratio of frosting to cake, IMO.

  • After dinner, Greg and I watched a few episodes of "Seinfeld".


MONEY SPENT
  • RaceTrac: $21.48 for gas and unspecified amount for snacks


FREEBIES
  • McDonald's added a coupon for a free large fries to my app but it was only good for today.
  • A free Reese's egg from RaceTrac (with purchase of 2) with a coupon from Greg's app.


ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Brewed coffee for Greg and myself
  • Cuddled with a kitten
  • Worked on Rewards programs
  • Caught up on news and blogs
  • Recorded Greg's upcoming flights into my calendar
  • Printed coupons
  • Did the dishes
  • Cleaned the oven
  • Commented on a blog
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Clipped coupons
  • Sorted coupons
  • Tracked Greg's paycheck in my tax spreadsheet
  • Input receipts into spreadsheets
  • Scheduled bill payments
  • Balanced the checkbook
  • Tried to check the mail
  • Cuddled with a kitten
  • Printed insurance card for son
  • Made a menu for the upcoming week
  • Backed up all February pictures to the external drive
  • Cooked dinner

GRATITUDE
  • For a great night's sleep!
  • For my daughter's willingness to make us a pretty cake :)
  • For Greg coming home safely after his solo kayaking adventure

How was your weekend?

13 comments:

  1. Your daughter did a great job with the bunny cake! What a good idea to just crumble up the top of the cake, itself! Have a piece for me, too, OK?

    Glad you got a good night's sleep. I get groggy when I get a lot of sleep! Isn't that weird? You got a lot done, today. I accomplished all of three things! But one of them took a long time.

    I hope you have a good day, tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just having a piece of it as I was reading your comment so I did think of you :) I'm amazed at her resourcefulness as she told me that the link that I had sent her for the recipe didn't work, so instead of asking me for a new link, she just figured how to crumbled the cake neatly to make the dirt. I think I would have just baked the cake and told people to pretend the brown top was dirt. I hadn't really looked at the recipe myself so I didn't realize I should have bought oreos to make the dirt!

      After all the sleep I had on Saturday/Sunday, I felt energy-less and groggy all day yesterday! I don't think I'll sleep in again like that any time soon! I'm glad you were able to rest, though, Bless! You shouldn't worry too much about your To Do List on the weekends!

      Delete
  2. Cute cake! Not one of my kids ever showed any inclination to cook or bake when they were at home! My grandsons always enjoy decorating cookies and cupcakes though but they aren't very interested in cooking either. Of course I never cooked either until after I was married- I had 2 cookbooks and used them both. I still have them too! Easter was very nice here- I spent the morning at church but that was due to the fact GS played his guitar at both services and then was confirmed at second service. There was an awesome brunch and egg hunt for the littles between services. This church is nice- one of the oldest around. I loved our last church but the pastor retired and after 2 years of interviewing for a new one and still in the process, we (DD, sister and kids) decided to change churches. I'm a Protestant- only mainstream religions for me- and that leaves a lot of churches to attend. This church is large and does a lot for the community so that is good. Anyhow Easter was nice! Now it's back to work. I'm thinking there is only 6 weeks of school left and that will fly. Is your daughter excited about graduation? I told my sis I'd pick put a fridge today so guess I'll go to Lowe's later. Meals are eating up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that my daughter is excited about Graduation. She's anxious about college and at the same time probably can't wait to get started. It's going to feel like a long summer to her if she doesn't get the summer job! The Graduation ceremony itself is only something she's attending to please her dad, she didn't want to go. She has fewer than 6 weeks of school since Seniors are done with classes earlier than underclassmen and she's on the state college schedule anyway. As a matter of fact, her last day of classes is next Monday so all she has left is finals next week and then she's done!

      Good luck finding a fridge today. I hope you find a bargain :)

      Delete
    2. Glad your son is better. I went to Lowe's but didn't buy a fridge- I did buy a few Pentas. Appliances just don't do a thing for me! My kids all went to their HS graduations but didn't care much about college graduation ceremonies. We always had a little party for them. The grandsons are so ready for summer but my favorite time of the yrar is Labor Day-Christmas. I loved summer when I lived elsewhere but here it's HOT and I am so not a beach person heehee. Does your son still live in Daytona? I'm off to there at 8. I have 1 client there I have to see monthly. I probably should transfer her to another support coordinator but she's settled in now with me and I usually go to Joann's when I visit her. Wish we had one!!!

      Delete
    3. I don't like buying appliances either. Fridges are so expensive! I would want the same model as the one I have now, it suits us. It has adjustable glass shelves and the shelves in the door are adjustable too. I found a similar model when I did my research last year, but I couldn't bring myself to spend close to $1,000 to replace the one that I have right now and that still works (albeit I think it's on its last leg).

      Middle Son moved back to his dad's house in East Orlando after Christmas when his lease in Daytona ended. He was spending more time in Orlando (his job and photography assignments) than in Daytona (he only had classes 2 or 3 days a week there) so now he's commuting in reverse. But he's graduating in a couple of weeks and now working at Disney so he'll stay in the Orlando area. He might even end up renting a house in my neck of the woods with some friends!

      I wish we had a Joann's too, I like it better than Michaels. The closest one is about 25 minutes away but not in any direction that we visit frequently :(

      Delete
  3. That cake is so cute! I hope your son feels better soon; whatever is going around is a stinker! Yesterday was the first day I had a reasonable amount of energy after being sick, although I think maybe I overdid it a bit because I am exhausted this morning and feel kind of muddled. Ugh. I hope your energy returns today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that oftentimes one spends longer recuperating from the actual illness than being sick! He felt better this morning and didn't seem to have a fever, thanks for the good wishes. I hope you get over your illness soon too! I felt muddled yesterday so it was nice to have things to do on the computer so I could still feel a little productive without actually moving much!

      Delete
  4. Swagbucks is getting totally ridiculous. My goal today is 118. And half of the things don't work. They are just making it harder and harder. I'm really getting ticked with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 118!! You must have been hitting your first goals hard! Did you get the "watch and earn" offer in your inbox today for 1 SB that said "2 per user"? I played that darn video twice and only got credited the 1 SB. I don't even bother emailing them anymore. They tick me off so badly... And yet I can't quit! I have just over 1,600 SB so I need to get to 2,200 and then I may just stop for a few months. It's really not worth all that aggravation.

      Delete
  5. I'm not hitting my goals. That's the thing. They keep raising it everyday. It's very frustrating. I haven't made my goal in over a week. I haven't even got 7 days in a row yet. Most of the engage always say not responding, so those don't work. I always forget to check my inbox. Going to do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter's bunny cake looks delicious. She is very creative!

    Sometimes, you just need a quiet, at-home day to do nothing but recharge your batteries, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I do get PLENTY of those quiet at-home days so you'd think my batteries would indeed be fully recharged constantly!

      The cake was delicious and pretty. To be fair, she copied the picture from a Betty Crocker recipe that I had sent her, but I give her tons of credit for making the cake look the same because I know I'd never have the patience, these days.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!