Thursday, April 27, 2017

Blogging Break Extended



I know (and I'm flattered) that some of you will be disappointed that they can't read my nonsense over their morning cup of joe or tea, but I've decided to extend my blogging break.

The truth is I love blogging... a little too much.  Even as I said I wouldn't blog this week, I still kept track of my thoughts and what I did (well, mostly what I didn't do and herein lies the problem), I just haven't posted it yet.

But I reflected on this week and on this past month and on the past 3 months too, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm using my love of blogging to get on the laptop (and stay on the laptop), where I end up wasting a lot of time (because I lack self-control!) and the result is that I'm neglecting too many things.



So... I'm going to attempt cutting the cord for a while. I don't know how long that will be. I don't really know yet if I'll still comment on other blogs, but I'll probably read them, like you, over my morning cup of joe.  And then, I have got to learn to turn off the laptop, put away the phone, and make some progress on my goals.  I might still post pictures, I don't know. Maybe I'll post a Day Book on Mondays, maybe not.

Right now I'm thinking I probably should just not post at all and then ease back into it.  I've attempted that before and failed. The only time I really stopped blogging completely for a long time was when I was seriously depressed a couple of summers ago. I'm not depressed now, I just need something to change!

So this might sound very presumptuous of me, but I thought some of you might want to know why I'm not posting or commenting.



See you later!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I have to say I am enjoying doing things without reporting on them, even though I'm still composing blog post paragraphs in my head, ha.

      Delete
  2. OK! I'll miss ya. I just limit myself and tell myself I am done at such and such time. Since I use the computer to write my progress notes for my clients, I have a legitimate excuse but I limit that too! Have a good Friday and weekend. Do you ever travel with your husband? I loved to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. It's something that I have to work on. I tried doing that yesterday, taking a break from chores and telling myself that I'd get started again at a set time, but then I got sidetracked into doing something else... which needed to be done but wasn't on my list of chores that I had assigned myself for the day. So it's a training in progress, so to speak!

      No, Greg and I do not travel together. I'd love to but he refuses to travel outside of the USA (unless it's for business) and I refuse to go visit his family in the USA anymore. Since he always wants to go visit his family, we just take separate vacations. This is why we are enjoying our weekend walks together so much. It provides the together time that we need, we exercise, have a nice meal out (most of the time), and yet we're not too far from home as we both tend to be homebodies anyway. Where did you travel with your husband?

      Delete
  3. I think many of us can relate to exactly what you're saying. This may sound silly, but a possible compromise. Have Greg take the laptop to work with him so you won't be tempted and then you can spend a little time in the evening on it after you have the satisfaction of a productive day.

    Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for the suggestion... aaagggh, it would take a lot of willpower for me to relinquish my laptop! But yes, it would be an option if I found it impossible to do any chores :) And then I would need to also have him pack the TV, my Kindle, etc. LOL.

      I've worked on a revised To Do List with "deliverables" for each day. So far it hasn't worked out too great because I'm still too ambitious, possibly, so I'm tweaking it. However, I did do the dishes AND mopped the kitchen yesterday, among other things and I'm purging a lot of paperwork. So, little by little, I'm putting a system in place that hopefully will work for me. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  4. Bravo to you Nathalie for realizing where some things need to change in your life and actually taking some action. So many of us know what we need to do, we just don't do it. I will miss your daily posts, but the anticipation will keep me coming back and more excited for when you do post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daisy. One of the things that kept tripping me up, is that, as you mentioned, I posted daily. With that came daily (usually) comments from readers, and I feel that as a blogger, I ought everyone a reply. And I'm long-winded, usually. So between composting long daily posts, reading and replying to comments, and then reading other blogs daily and trying to comment a lot too, just that took a big chunk of my time and I don't even get a lot of comments! So I might need to just post weekly? Also, possibly I don't need to detail every little thing that I do. I meant for it to be self-motivational but in the end it just became a huge time suck. I'm still struggling with embracing doing chores, but I'll get there :) In the meantime, I'm going to continue on my blogging break. I do miss being able to announce good news (I found 26 cents in the RaceTrac parking lot on Sunday! Sodapalooza has started at RaceTrac! My daughter won a small National Merit scholarship sponsored by her dad's employer!) and posting pictures but I realize that it's probably more important to finally getting starting on purging my bulging file cabinet at the moment :) I hope you and your family are doing well. Loved that picture of the bossy little Miss Daisy!

      Delete
    2. **owe, not ought! Ugh. Ha.

      Delete
  5. Hey, it's your blog - you get to make the rules! Nothing wrong with shaking things up and trying new things every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only nothing's shaking right now. Everything's plopped on the couch, watching Game of Thrones for hours every day, while wondering what I should feed my family, lol. I miss blogging but at the same time I'm not in a hurry to get started again. I'm thinking I need this break to teach myself to be more succinct by not automatically reporting on every little thing that I do.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!