Monday, April 24, 2017

Day Book: Monday 4/24/17



Outside my window... it's 7:20 a.m. It doesn't smell like smoke this morning, it's already 70F/21.1C.  Someone's already using either a chainsaw or a leaf blower... something that makes a lot of noise, I can hear it through the closed windows. Arrgh.

I am thinking... that I'm going to take a break from posting every day this week.  I'll probably just do a big recap post later on this week.

I am thankful for... Greg getting on his plane this morning. He just texted me that he had the worst airport experience ever and that he barely made it to the plane. He's flying United so I told him to hold off on volunteering his seat until they offer at least $1,000, lol.

From the learning rooms... My daughter is done with her classes!  Well, she still has some finals to turn in this week.  She will be honored at a luncheon later this week along with the rest of the top 3% scholars of our county and her dad and I will attend as her guests.  Youngest Son doesn't have anything going on this week, but he has his Geometry End of Course exam early next week so he'll be cramming.  I'm assuming that Middle Son is in the middle of finals as well, but I haven't talked to him in about a week.

From the kitchen... I didn't cook this weekend so there really are very few dishes. They'll keep until I'm in the mood to wash them. With Greg gone most of the week, I don't feel as pressured to know in advance what to cook. The kids and I will probably have breakfast for dinner once and then we'll see.

I am wearing... black and turquoise yoga pants, my grey and turquoise walking shoes and a dark grey V-neck Tshirt.  My comfy uniform!

I am going... nowhere today!

I am reading... I'm in between books, I'm probably going to read one of the thrillers I downloaded from the library yesterday.

I am hoping... that Greg's trip goes well!  He hates air travel.

I am hearing... the air conditioner is running, whatever power tool is being used somewhere, the cats are plotting something in the kitchen, I'm better go check.

Around the house... My daughter is asleep.  I have been very remiss in vacuuming and sweeping so the dust bunnies have multiplied. I'm hoping that by trying to limit my blogging this week, I'll actually accomplish something.

One of my favorite things... Eh, I don't know. I'm running out of favorite things!  I guess I could say that right now I'm addicted to the generic saltines from Aldi ($0.75 a box). They're surprisingly delicious.

A few plans for the rest of the week... well, my PLANS are to do chores and finish some projects, but don't be surprise if I report that I did nothing but catch up on TV shows and books, lol.  Aside from that, I'll try to bike to the library to return a book and see if they have any coupon inserts, I have grocery shopping/errands day, and the luncheon for my daughter.  She'll be attending Grad Bash at Universal Studios on Saturday so I'll have to follow up on my plan to not sleep much on Friday night so I can fall asleep super early on Saturday and get some sleep in order to be picking her up at 3 a.m.  So I think that means I won't go hiking on Saturday.

Here's the picture I'm sharing...

Gah!  I got nothing. I've already shared all my pictures in other posts!  So I'm posting a picture taken on April 24, 2009: the first encounter between Male Cat and Mean Kitty.  She was so tiny and cute back then!  We didn't know she'd turn into a very cranky, very large female!

Oh now I want another little kitten!

Have a good week!

17 comments:

  1. Mean kitty is so cute! I didn't realize that she was a kitten when you adopted her, too. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of our 6 cats, only New Kitty wasn't a little kitten when we got her. She'd already had kittens of her own but she was less than a year old, despite what the vet said (he thought she was 2).

      I got Male Cat from someone giving out kittens for free at the exit of Publix. Mean Kitty crawled out of the bushes facing our driveway a year later (4/24/09) as we came back from a soccer game and was meowing and meowing so we took her in. New Kitty had been found with one of her kittens in my neighbor's relatives grove. He kept the kitten, we took in the mom at Christmas 2015. And then he found the 3 kittens in between our homes last August and you know how I came to take them in :) I can't resist kittens! And I don't think you can either, hahaha.

      Have a great week, Laura, I hope it's less crazy for you than last week!

      Delete
  2. Good morning. I just caught up on your posts from Friday on. I'm happy to say I saw all four of the gators before I found your color-coded numbers. Even if it's a boring post we enjoy reading so don't stop blogging please. Can you post pictures of the girls but block out their faces so we can see their dresses? Have a great Monday and I hope that The fire stays away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news, your vision problems seem to have completely gone away!

      I only took a picture of the two girls when they were sitting in the car and it doesn't show much, and my daughter doesn't want me posting the picture of her in the dress.

      I'm going to just post a weekly update this week but it'll be even longer than my usual posts so you can take the whole weekend to read about my dust bunnies and dirty dishes :)

      Take care, Sandie. Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  3. Smart advice on he United flight. We are going back to New York in a couple of weeks and had hoped to find some cheaper Untied flights, figuring with all the bad press they had dropped their prices. No dice, so we are flying our standard Delta non-stop flight for less the United's connecting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His reply was "Oh no. I'm gonna make them drag me off. We'll make millions!". But he got to Denver so I guess the flight wasn't overbooked.

      Did you see the article about the travel writer from NJ or NY who was trying to fly to Florida with her family back when Delta was having all the problems with the cancelled flights and ended up making $11,000 from Delta? But then she never did go on her trip to FL. There was a follow-up article stating that Delta will give you up to $10,000 to give up your seat. So, good luck!

      Delete
  4. I have to admit, I envy you for being able to stay home. I work full-time and my supervisor is a witch. I had a horrible migraine this morning and called out sick. What a witch she was. I was in the hospital in February and she was kind of nice then. It irks me, do they think we enjoy being out sick. I'd much rather be at work feeling good. I'm 54 and feel like they treat us like children. I am so so sick over stressing when I call out sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand people who begrudge you taking sick time that you have earned. You're right, it completely feels like they thing you enjoy being out sick, unless they think you're faking. But again, you've earned the time so why couldn't you take it? I get that it makes their job harder but I'd venture to say they probably don't care when they're the ones who are sick. Or worse, they might be the ones showing up at work and making everyone else miserable AND sick by spreading their germs. This is why I never felt that "perfect attendance" awards should be given out at school. What exactly are we teaching our kids? And what about the kids who have a health condition that ensures that they'll never have perfect attendance? Ugh.

      I am very lucky to be able to stay home, I'm so aware of it. Back when I still worked I wanted to be a SAHM so badly but I was the main breadwinner in my first marriage (and the one who had the job with health benefits) so I couldn't stay home. I made my ex stay home when my daughter was born because at that point, daycare/after school care for 3 kids was going to negate any money he brought in anyway. However, we separated a year later so we had to put the kids back in child care/after school care as he went back to work. Funnily this was the impetus for him to finally get a full-time job that paid well and he went back to school to get his Master's since and had done very well in his career. Silver lining to our divorce for the both of us as I would have never been a SAHM had I kept being married to him.

      Then I met and married Greg. He made more than me and we were lucky that his salary increased each year. When we got full time custody of his 2 daughters and had 6 kids at home half the time, it got very difficult to manage two jobs that were each an hour away, kids in daycare, elementary school and middle school, threats from his ex, behavioral problems from the daughters, sick kids, doctor appointment, etc. Even though I worked in the HR department at my work, we were a very family-centric business unit and all my co-workers were mothers themselves, I got major side-eye when I had to ask to take time off or sick time because I needed to be home, or even when I asked to come in late one day a week so I could volunteer at my kids' school (which was mandatory). So when the lay-off situation occurred, I ran the numbers for Greg and was able to convince him that I should stay home. Now that the kids are grown, I could return to work and I think Greg wishes I would because most of the time he wishes HE could be home. But it doesn't fulfill any kind of need for me and I was a secretary. I'd never make enough money to be able to have him stay home, even if I were lucky enough to be an executive secretary again, which will never happen. Yes, I'm very privileged that I don't have to go back to work. If Greg was laid off, I would definitely look for something to bring some income in, though, although I suspect I'd have to compete with the local teens to get a bagger position at our local supermarket.

      Sorry I made this reply all about me. I'm very sorry you have a migraine, Mia, and that you're stressing about your supervisor. Karma's a bitch, I wish a pox on her :) Or at least a migraine.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hijack on your blog - but, Mia, have you applied for FMLA?

      ~Rosie

      Delete
  5. That picture of Male Cat and Mean Kitty is so cute! Just like when Male Cat came over to check out the new kittens! I remember you posting a picture of him and Explorer, I believe, getting acquainted. I hope you have a lovely week off from blogging and the dishes, etc., while Greg is away. Relax and enjoy! I'll miss reading your daily blog posts, though, and will expect a nice, LONG blog post at the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter and I were just watching a long movie that I had taken of Male Cat playing with Mean Kitty when she'd been home a couple of weeks and they were so cute! He's been an exceedingly good cat, never hissing at any other cat who appeared in our household. I can't believe that he's 9 now, and yet I can't imagine our house without him!

      I shall do my best to have a looooong post for you to read this weekend, although I can't promise lots of pictures.

      Delete
  6. Kittens are so cute. We're not getting any more cats anytime soon, especially since I learned that I'm allergic to them. I'll just live through you and enjoy your kitten pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, you are allergic to cats?! That's tragic! I'll have to take more pictures of them so you don't have withdrawals, then!

      Hey, you never told us about your new car... did you get one? Or did you just go window shopping that one weekend?

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I think about getting a kitten and then I remember all the scratching my cats did on what was perfectly good furniture LOL. I never had more than 2 at a time though but there was a 3 or 4 year period I had 2 cats and 2 dogs. That was crazy. Whiskers lived to over 20- he was our first pet and real tom cat (neutered as a kitten though). We could never keep him inside so he had the run of the neighborhood too. I loved being a SAHM- I did it for 31 years YES- but I love working now and loving the fact I can be generous. I actually spent $$ on myself and bought 4 tops and 2 pair of shoes plus I ordered GD some Native shoes (some brand they like??) from Nordstroms for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go back to work for about 8 months back in 2010, working at the local elementary school. I made almost nothing (part-time, $10/hr) but it was nice, at the end of my stint, for me to be able to give my stepdaughter a couple of hundred of dollars as a gift for her high school graduation and for once feeling that it indeed was MY money that I was gifting.

      Delete
  8. I don't read nearly as much as you do, but for some reason, I hate being "in between books" and always start a new book when I finish another. Even if I just read one page, I just have to start another book.

    Love that exchange of looks between Male Cat and Mean Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why we need to have another book at the ready all the time. For me, I don't feel right if I don't have library books in the house. However, I don't enjoy reading on the Kindle all that much so I need physical books too. Right now I only have the Kindle books and I haven't started on them yet (I had actually forgotten that I had downloaded them!).

      So, when you start a book and then put it aside, do you remember what you last read when you pick it up again? If I put the book down for more than a few hours, I've forgotten most of everything. So I tend to binge read for that reason.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!