Ugh, this was a bad, bad week for Food Waste :(
- The apple that I said I was going to dehydrate because it had started to rot... yeah, about that.... I forgot all about it and when I finally remembered to look at it, it was time to compost it. Ugh.
- I had to throw away a lb of ground beef. When I defrosted it, not only was it gray, but it smelled "off".
- The following night, I had to compost an 8-oz container of baby portobello mushrooms that had gotten moldy.
- I also had to compost 4 Roma tomatoes that I never used and that went bad, plus some tomatoes from my garden that I had left to ripen on my counter and forgotten about.
- And just 15 minutes ago I had to throw away all the buns that I had defrosted to turn into bread crumbs because they had all gotten moldy. Oh well, not a big loss actually, they'd been in my freezer for a long time and I don't need bread crumbs.
- I used some of the sour milk that I have on my hands in my Chocolate Chip Pound Cake that I baked on Monday.
- I used up 2 stale "bottom of the bags" of tortilla chips in my Southwestern turkey meatloaf.
- I used up the spinach and mandarins that I had tried to turn into a salad last week for my stir-fry last night.
- We ate leftovers all week.
I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.
This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girl, who started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.