Friday, April 7, 2017

Food Waste Friday: 4/7/17


Ugh, this was a bad, bad week for Food Waste :(

  • The apple that I said I was going to dehydrate because it had started to rot... yeah, about that.... I forgot all about it and when I finally remembered to look at it, it was time to compost it. Ugh.

  • I had to throw away a lb of ground beef. When I defrosted it, not only was it gray, but it smelled "off".

  • The following night, I had to compost an 8-oz container of baby portobello mushrooms that had gotten moldy.

  • I also had to compost 4 Roma tomatoes that I never used and that went bad, plus some tomatoes from my garden that I had left to ripen on my counter and forgotten about.

  • And just 15 minutes ago I had to throw away all the buns that I had defrosted to turn into bread crumbs because they had all gotten moldy. Oh well, not a big loss actually, they'd been in my freezer for a long time and I don't need bread crumbs.








    • I used some of the sour milk that I have on my hands in my Chocolate Chip Pound Cake that I baked on Monday.

    • I used up 2 stale "bottom of the bags" of tortilla chips in my Southwestern turkey meatloaf.

    • I used up the spinach and mandarins that I had tried to turn into a salad last week for my stir-fry last night.

    • We ate leftovers all week.
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    2 comments:

    1. Sorry you had to toss the ground beef, bread, etc. But good job using up the stuff that you did. I had to toss the last few pieces of lettuce leaves last week, but I put the stem in water to see if it will root. If not, I'll be tossing that, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ooh let us know how your experiment is going! I tried regrowing Romaine lettuce on several occasions and each time I got tiny leaves but then the stems would rot before they grew very tall and that grossed me out. I did regrow bok choy like this, if I remember correctly, and of course I've been regrowing the same green onions for... 4 years now, I think. And they were free to start with! I need to root some basil.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!