Monday, April 17, 2017

This Week's Dinner Plans: Monday 4/17 to Sunday 4/23, 2017


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...


MONDAY:   Pasta and Meatballs with Seasoned Collard Greens
  • From the freezer: meatballs
  • From the pantry:  box of pasta, basil, salty, garlic powder
  • From the fridge: butter, Parmesan cheese, collard greens, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy:  nothing

TUESDAY:  Turkey Meatloaf Shepherd's Pie
  • From the freezer: Turkey meatloaf meat
  • From the pantry:  potatoes
  • From the fridge: butter, milk, mozzarella cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: shred the cheese,  ** Need to bake**
  • Need to buy:  nothing

WEDNESDAY: Pizza and Salad
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry:  nothing
  • From the fridge: ham, mushrooms, serrano peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: salad dressing
  • Need to buy:  XL cheese pizza

THURSDAY: Pecan-Crusted Tilapia and Rice with Steamed Broccoli
  • From the freezer: tilapia fillets
  • From the pantry:  canola oil, flour, egg, milk, seasoned salt, white rice
  • From the fridge: pecans pieces, broccoli
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  process pecan pieces in mini food processor
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: One-Pan Chicken and Imperial Rice
  • From the freezer: boneless chicken breasts, onions, celery, green peppers
  • From the pantry: ground cumin, canola oil, carrots, can of NSA peas
  • From the fridge: Better Than Bouillon Chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, light mayo, light sour cream
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: shred Monterey Jack cheese
  • Need to buy:  yellow rice mix 

SATURDAY:  One Pot Chili Mac with Homemade Corn Bread
  • From the freezer: ground beef or turkey, onions, celery, green peppers, chicken stock (4 cups)
  • From the pantry: EVOO spray, 1 jar medium salsa, 1 can kidney beans, elbow macaroni, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar
  • From the fridge: shredded cheddar, butter
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: chili seasoning mix,  **bake corn bread in advance**
  • Need to buy: NSA tomato sauce

SUNDAY: Cheeseburgers and Sweet Potato Fries
  • From the freezer: ground beef, sweet potato fries
  • From the pantry:  Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • From the fridge: cheese slices and crumbles, condiments, homemade zesty pickles
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy:  hamburger buns

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

10 comments:

  1. We make yellow rice by using oil or butter and Goya Sazon in our own choice of rice cheaper than buying the package the little bit more work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for telling me about this. I don't have Goya Sazon on hand so I'd have to buy it but perhaps making yellow rice once in a while might be a nice change from always making white rice? I'll have to see how much it costs at Save A Lot.

      Delete
  2. We are all out of our free packages of yellow rice so I might have to look into the seasoning too!!! I love yellow rice with tacos. Any idea of the quantity of seasoning to rice??

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your menus sound equally delicious! I make a couple of versions of yellow rice, using a vegetable bouillon powder or turmeric to give it color. Not as tasty as the traditional Sri Lankan yellow rice, which is cooked with coconut milk and a lot of spices (pandan leaves, cardamoms, pepper corns, etc.) It's a different taste than the Spanish yellow rice, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. Your Sri Lankan version sounds delicious even though I don't even know what pandan leaves are!

      Delete
  4. I love the way you lay this out! I'm going to have to start doing it this way -- I'm going to make a printable meal planner now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like that it forces me to think of what to use that I already have on hand, instead of having to buy a bunch of stuff. I hope it works for you too :)

      Delete
  5. Cooking nothing very exciting- maybe some Thai coconut type soup since I have 3 cans of the milk in the pantry and I'm purging it big time! I thawed some marinara and need to use that also. How's your son feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mentioning the coconut milk as I have between 6 and 8 cans that I had bought because I wanted to try some recipes from Sri Lanka. I need to put those cookbooks back on hold at the library and see about looking for the ingredients at the Indian store down on International Drive.

      My son is doing fine, thanks for asking. He's still coughing some but his fever is completely gone and he feels alright. Have a great day!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!