Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Day Book: Tuesday 5/30/17



Outside my window... it's cloudy and hot. I was out on the patio earlier this morning and it was very muggy with 88% humidity at 7:45 a.m.  It's supposed to rain this afternoon (keeping my fingers crossed) and indeed we seem to have chances of rain almost every day, which doesn't guarantee rain. but it's a little better than seeing sun icons for 10 days in a row!

I am thinking... that I have no idea where my daughter and I will be headed on Friday, when we're starting our week-long trip to possibly VA. I ought to talk to her about it and decide on at least how far we want to drive that day.  I also feel completely unmotivated to plan anything, it's so weird!  I just hope we don't get completely rained out... we need the rain down here but I don't want it wherever we'll be going!

I am thankful for... decaf coffee :)  It's nice to be able to have a couple of cups of a hot tasty drink without worrying about not sleeping at night!

From the learning rooms... it's summer vacation but Youngest Son is already hard at work on his French class, which he started yesterday. He's also been working on his summer projects for 10th grade: an English Honors reading project and his AP World History project.  Today he starts to volunteer at the library's Summer Reading Program.  Daughter isn't taking any classes but she is back to drawing and specifically studying anatomy to better draw human figures.  As for me, I keep on educating myself about the new diet that I'm following.

From the kitchen... I have NEWS: I've been doing the dishes every morning as soon as I wake up, for a whole week!  This allows me to spend time with Greg after dinner and then have at least part of my day without any dishes in the sink :)  So far, so good.  I've also baked chocolate chip banana bread for Youngest Son (he's the only one who eats it) and whole wheat bread for me (I'm going to freeze the slices so they don't go bad as I'm only allowing myself a tiny bit of bread).  I've been trying to eat about the same dinners as the rest of the family so I don't have to cook twice.  The bad news is that I've had a lot of food waste since I had to throw away a lot of the leftovers as no one is eating them!  I'm going to have to rethink how much I'm cooking, I suppose.

I am wearing... black yoga pants and a red V-neck T-shirt, walking shoes.

I am creating... a notebook to keep a bunch of diet-specific recipes that I'll be using a lot.

I am going... to probably have to pick up my son from the library this afternoon since it's supposed to rain at that time. Otherwise, I might drive to RaceTrac to get us Sodapalooza refills.

I am reading... I just started a free e-book from Amazon entitled "Changing Your Life Through Positive Thinking" (once again, inspired by Bless!).  I also downloaded a book from the library by an author that was recommended by Nan, "Back When We Were Grownups" by Anne Tyler.  I haven't started it yet as I also just started "Blindsighted" by Karin Slaughter but I'm barely a few pages into the book and I can already tell that I probably won't care for it.  It's happening to 99% of the books I've tried reading these past few months, it's frustrating.

I am hoping... that I get some enthusiasm for my week-long trip with Daughter before Friday!  Right now staying home and continuing my routine is much more appealing :(  Also that Princess's eye gets better before we leave, as she started having the same problem that Tabby Kitten had a couple of weeks ago. Instead of taking her to the vet's, I just started putting the eye medicine in her eye this morning as I had 1/2 a tube left over.

I am hearing... a kitten crying out behind my son's bedroom door.  He's the Cat Whisperer, all 6 cats desperately love him :)

Around the house... Daughter is still in bed. She's going to Busch Gardens with some friends this afternoon.  Youngest Son is occupying himself with his projects, YouTube, and painting his wargaming miniatures. Greg is at work.  The kittens are mostly taking their nap.  I'm about to get started on chores... well now I just realized that I meant to vacuum but the cats are asleep... so I'll wait until later on :)

One of my favorite things... my thrifted bread-related utensils: breadmaker, bread slicing guide, and bread keeper!

A few plans for the rest of the week... I've been exercising every day on my recumbent bike and I'm about to add 3 weekly sessions of strength training as well.  I'll be going grocery shopping tomorrow, and going to pick up my BFF and her kids from the airport on Thursday. And then Daughter and I leave on Friday for parts unknown. We should be gone a week.  Greg is persuaded we'll be back within a couple of days, lol.

Here's the picture I'm sharing... I really haven't been taking any great pictures so here is one that Greg took yesterday when he was kayaking on Lake Hammond in Lake Louisa's State Park:


Yep, he caught a fish!  It was a good size fish too but he threw it back because he had just
gotten there, it was hot, and he was planning on staying several more hours.  That fish got lucky.

Have a good week!

14 comments:

  1. I just used a sunny break in the weather to go outdoors to mow the front lawn. The blackflies are so bad, they drove me inside. I feel better for having got it done.

    I hope you and your daughter can get together this week to plan out your trip and build some excitement. After all, the planning is half the fun. I hope you have many fine sunny days for traveling and it will be great to hear all about it when you get back.

    The only domesticity I have done this morning was to clean the upstairs sink and toilet. Good for you getting the dishes done every morning. I have tons of housework to catch up on, but not an ounce of motivation to do any of it. I am still recuperating from a week of crafting. I wrote a Daybook Tuesday also. It is at this link here. http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2017/05/daybook-tuesday-may-3017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those flies must be so annoying! Are they the ones that bite and their bite is very painful? A couple of flies bit me last time Greg and I walked on the Van Fleet Trail and it itched like crazy for a couple of days.

      Greg finally mowed our "lawn" yesterday, for the first time this year or at least in a very long time! We just had a couple of tufts of weeds here and there that needed to be trimmed, but he wanted to mow the whole thing.

      It just poured! I hope my rain barrel got at least halfway refilled as I used 1/2 the jugs where I have stored rain water on my plants yesterday morning.

      Delete
  2. Where does your daughter want to go on the trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really wanted to go visit the Northeast and more specifically large cities such as Philadelphia, Washington DC, New York, Baltimore, and Boston. However, I abhor large cities so we had decided on driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Maine, visit the Acadia National Park, then go to the Ben & Jerry's factory and visit smaller museums and other places that might interest her along the way. But now that our trip has been cut down to just a week (because we ended up having to replace her laptop, which was unforeseen), we can't go quite that far. I think we'll still go up the Blue Ridge Parkway. She loves Virginia and so do I, so it's just a matter of decided where to go specifically, how long to drive each day, etc. I do have 3 travel books on my desk that we can use for inspiration, we just haven't done it yet. And as far as going to visit the big cities, I told her "You're 18 and you have your life ahead of you. Go visit those cities with friends who will appreciate them, not with your old mom who will be hating it the whole time!". She agreed :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your road trip. My sisters, nephew and I took one last year to Iowa. We wanted to visit some elderly relatives and we had a nice time. I think we spent 4 nights in motels. In fact, I'd like to do it again and maybe go somewhere else! I just woke up to a text message from my daughter asking if I can make her a lab coat for vacation Bible school...hmm can I? I used to sew a lot but then I pretty much stopped. I just might look at the Goodwill and see if they have one heehe. I'm not feeling the sewing. I'm reading an old book now- Lonesome Dove! It actually is quite good and won a Pulitzer. I might see if I can get the DVD series after I finish but every time I check out a DVD from the library, I get frustrated because they are in such poor shape and skip/stop frequently. Are you leaving soon? I lived in Virginia for over 12 years but we were in Fairfax. I won't drive in big cities myself. My daughter took the grandsons 2 summers ago to the East- they went to NYC and Boston- just her driving too. She had the route planned out and they stayed with friends and relatives most of the time. Older GS won't eat fast food so meals were a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost wish we had relatives somewhere so in the country so it would give us a goal to drive to or through, you know? If she were Greg's daughter we could drive to places where their ancestors lived, but my ex's family is all in Florida or California and I'm not on speaking terms with Greg's family. As for the food, I have several restaurant gift cards that we'll be using and I've done the research on what the best choices are for me to make at fast food places. I also plan on bringing a cooler and some foods from home. Ideally, we'll stay at hotels that offer a small kitchenette so we can buy foods from Aldi or similar and assemble our own meals for the trip that day. We'll see.

      I didn't mind large cities so much back when I was younger, although I don't like driving in them either because my SUV is very large and parking is always a concern. Paris didn't phase me too much because we stayed at my brother's and took the subway and I'd been there several times before. But here we'd have to stay outside of the city (otherwise it's too expensive) and take public transportation in just to go visit a museum or a library... it sounds like such a hassle considering that our trip is so short and we have to drive up there first and then back. Originally we had talked about visiting a lot of state and national parks, enjoy the views. My daughter was saying last night that she really wants to see mountains because she's sick of Florida, so The Blue Ridge Parkway and the Appalachians it is!

      I'm with you about the library DVDs, it's so irritating. A few years ago, I bought a small bottle of something called Disk Skip Fixer at GameStop (you can probably find something similar on Amazon or other places) because we were having trouble with an Xbox Game that was really scratched, and lo and behold it worked! I've used it on countless DVDs since and it's been super helpful. Of course, if the scratches are very deep, it's still going to skip. When that happens, I leave a note on the DVD for the librarians so they know to pull it out of circulation. Lonesome Dove is available via Amazon Video with a Starz Subscription (so not free) or via Sonar Entertainment on YouTube (so not free either)

      Delete
  4. Safe travels to you and your daughter! I hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I actually stayed up (too) late last night, putting a rough itinerary together because I was afraid that without that, we'd end up spending all our days driving aimlessly! We shall see how that goes.

      Delete
  5. Safe travels, Nathalie. Hope you and your daughter have a fun road trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless, we were on our trip when I saw your email. We had a great time, I'll be recapping it one day at a time very soon :)

      Delete
  6. Have a great trip with your daughter! And make sure to take lots of pics so we can live vicariously... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a great time! I took pictures but they didn't turn out very good, I don't think. I need to pick the ones I want to post and probably edit them a little. It was foggy and/or overcast quite a bit. Plus we were usually out at about noon and you know how the light is horrible when it's right above you.

      Delete
  7. I thought you might be back from your trip- I can't wait to read about it! Good news here is we got quite a bit of rain and my son is visiting in July and daughter and GD coming right after we get back from NYC! It should be a 'hopping' month here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you can't wait until July!

      We did come back on Sunday night but yesterday I went grocery shopping and then set about inputting all my mountains of receipts into my spreadsheets. Today I did some cleaning, balanced the checkbook. I still have to do the dishes and exercise and it's already 4:45 p.m., yikes!

      I'll be posting about our trip sometime soon, probably one post per day of the trip. I need to sort through all the pictures first. I hope some of them turn out decently.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!