Friday, May 26, 2017

Weekly Review: Saturday, May 20 through Friday, May 26, 2017

Saturday 5/20/17
I had my big pity party that day, which is when I wrote my last blog update, which took me a while that morning. I had a serious case of the blues. I didn't want to go anywhere. Greg wanted to go walking but I turned him down. I just wanted to veg out and that's what I did. I think I might have stayed in my PJs all day, too!

That was the last day that I gave Tabby Kitten his medicine, and his eye is back to normal now.  Yay and I was tired of fighting him. Who thought putting an ointment in a cat's eye was a good idea?  Why not drops?!  Anyhoo, I hope I don't have to do that anytime soon now.  

With pollen levels being very high, I ended up needing drops of my own as my eyes were burning all weekend.  It was just mild conjunctivitis but it was annoying nonetheless!

In the afternoon, Greg tested our generator, went to refill all our spare gas tanks to get ready for hurricane season and then went kayaking for 4 hours!  He's really enjoying this. I've been in my kayak exactly ONE time. It sounded like a great idea and once we got the kayak, I lost all enthusiasm for it. But then again I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for a lot of things over the past 4 months.

My daughter was at her dad's that weekend, and Youngest Son spent his day on the computer, working on his final project for Science, and went to our local park a few times to get some exercise done (he walks there and back and swings).

As for me, I spent several hours finishing Season 3 of Bosch on Amazon Prime. After a rocky start (and trying to remember the storyline!, I warmed up to it.  Greg watched some of it with me in the evening.

I didn't feel like cooking and I wasn't hungry so he went to pick up McDonald's for himself and our son at dinner time. They treated themselves to shakes too.

I was so blah that I didn't take any pictures save for this one from Princess, sleeping on her bed next to me.  I held her little paw for an hour as she slept and I was lying down, watching "Bosch", LOL.  She likes being comforted like that. She comforted me too :)


Sunday 5/21/17
I slept in until 9 a.m. and woke up to find 2 kittens cuddling against me:

Princess.  Oh, she turned away at the last minute!  Yes, my mattress is still on the floor, I like it that way, it's super comfortable, and yes, I still haven't gotten rid of the old mattress that's still leaning against the wall. The kittens like climbing on it, but I do want to drag it to the curb once of these Tuesday mornings!

Explorer, just above my head on my pillow, with his paw touching my hair :)
 That day, my main activity was driving to my BFF's, thirty minutes away, picking her up and her two kids, and driving them to the Orlando International Airport.  They were flying to British Columbia, Canada, for a week and a half off at her parents'. She was very excited about it, the teens were like Youngest Son, not enthused at all, it seemed. She and I chatted on the way to the airport and caught up a little. We talked about UF since her oldest will also be attending in the Fall and majoring in Computer Engineering.  Our kids used to know each other back when they were younger, but then life happened and they all became teens with their own interests, so her son and my daughter don't know each other at all. Plus they're very different people. My BFF wanted her son to take my daughter's phone number so they can connect on campus, but he wasn't interested and I know my Daughter wouldn't have been interested either. Isn't that the worst when your parents force you into talking to someone?  I have hated that in my parents my own life as they're much more social than I am, so I'm not about to do that to my own kids, lol.  Anyhoo, after I dropped them off, I drove another hour back home.  2.5 hours of driving for me was enough and I didn't do anything else the rest of the day!

For lunch, I did treat myself to a free sandwich from RaceTrac, with the purchase of a bottle of sweet tea, thanks to a coupon that had come with my Sodapalooza cup.

Back home, I found Greg reading his book, our son playing on the computer. I printed coupons, watched Forensic Files, took a nap.  Then I decided to start watching The Sopranos from the beginning again for the 3rd or 4th time, and Greg joined me. We watched several episodes that evening. Once again I didn't feel like cooking so Greg went to pick us up Chinese food and Sodapalooza refills.

At some point I was reading some posts on Reddit, and came across this one. I texted it to my daughter and complained that someone was impersonating me on Reddit, ha.


Monday 5/22/17
It rained overnight!
Tell-tale signs on our front porch...

Greg's truck...

And the windows once I opened the curtains!
Monday was Domestic Monday  and I did some chores all day.  My load was not lightened by the kittens. For instance, Tabby Kitten had to bring down his "sock du jour". Well, if it was only one pair of socks a day, but it's usually several. He drops them near me, plays with them for maybe 2-3 seconds, and then just leaves, never to play with that particular sock again.  Weirdo. 
The pipe cleaner is Princess' s addiction. She still retrieves them from my craft cubicle and leaves them laying
all over the house...
It was the first day of Youngest Son's "finals" so he was released early at 11 a.m. that day and the next two.   When I say "finals", I don't know how the teachers worked it out this year but it's the first time that one of my kids had actually already done all his finals either prior to that day or just had to turn in a project that he had worked on from home. So he had to just sit there for 4 hours every day. He played cards, worked on his AP summer project, etc. but wasn't happy to have to be at school for those 3 days. I don't really blame him. I didn't leave my house to pick him up until 11:10 a.m., so by the time I picked him up, the line was short and moved very fast.

As a special treat, I took him to Donut King where we picked up half a dozen donuts to be shared between the two of us and my Daughter.  She didn't get home until about 7 p.m. as she spent more time at her dad's.

So yummy!
And then we went to pick up drive-thru lunch from Wendy's. We hadn't eaten there in ages.  I had the Spicy Asiago Chicken sandwich and I have to say I was very disappointed as it just wasn't as good as I remembered it.

 In the afternoon, I did more chores, emailed Youngest Son's French teacher to hear what the principal had decided about me only being contacted via email (the result that yes, it's possible and they'll be happy to accommodate me and the teacher apologized for getting off on the wrong foot with me. Yay!), watched some "Forensic Files" and... took a nap courtesy of all the carbs that I had eaten.

Explorer took a nap with me.

I received a sample of dog food in the mail. I'll give it to our neighbor Jeff for his dogs.
 I decided to test the new brush that I had bought at Petco with my Rewards last week.  The kittens didn't seem to mind it at all, but the real test was Mean Kitty who absolutely HATES the Love2Pet  defluffing comb that we have been using for several years. It must pull too much on her hair and brushing her has been an ordeal for Youngest Son. The verdict on the brush?

She LOVED it!  Seriously, she started purring.  She never, EVER, purrs.

It's not as effective as the comb and it's a little of a pain to clean out with each stroke,  but it does get hair out!

Princess was supervising and asked "when it is my turn?!"
 Otherwise, I started watching Season 3 of "Frankie and Grace", finally. It's not gripping me like the other seasons had.  Also:

I found those under my desk!  No one remembers giving them to me, but I think Greg gave them to
me for my birthday or Christmas. Anyhoo, I ate the whole bag.
Later on that evening, I put two and two together and realized that my little nap had been caused by eating too many carbs and I started wondering and worrying about diabetes as my dad and his dad before him both have/had type 2 diabetes (and other health concerns that are hereditary).  I absolutely do not want to see a doctor, have tests done, etc.  It's fine with me if other people go to the doctor's but I personally abhor them and won't go unless I can't take care of my own problems.

I downloaded a couple of library e-books to my Kindle, including an AARP book written by Jack Challem called "No More Fatigue".  He made some good points although he takes lots of supplements and I refuse to do that, so I skimmed those portions.  One of the points he made is that we eat too many carbs, and I know that it's clearly my downfall.  Reading the book, I decided that perhaps it would be a good time to get started on the Diabetic Exchange Diet that Bonnie had told me about back in January.  That's the plan she tries to follow to lose weight.  I had looked into it back then but it seemed like adding a lot of complications at a time of year when I was already undertaking a lot of things (as I always do in January!) so I had decided to put it aside and revisit it later in the year.  I don't know if I have diabetes but I'm probably pre-diabetic and even if I'm not, I was thinking that a plan such as that one, that limits the amount of carbs that one eats without eliminating them, was probably my best bet to not only reach my goal of losing weight this year, but also to be in much better health overall. I do nothing and I'm always tired, it seems.

So on Monday night, I found the printouts that I had saved, along with Bonnie's information that she had so kindly shared with me via comments, and decided that the next day I would embark on a new adventure.  I read the printouts to get familiar with the plan once more and I looked for books on that subject in my library system's catalog, and put The American Diabetes Association's "Month of Meals Diabetes Meal Planner" on hold.

Tuesday 5/23/17

On Tuesday morning I weighed myself and was extremely distraught to find myself at my highest weight EVER (damn those donuts, fast-food and chocolate-covered cherries!): 230 lbs. GULP.  It was a good day to get started on a new path, wasn't it?

I spent several hours that morning doing more research into the Diabetic Exchange Diet. Bonnie had sent me some information for various calorie levels, but I first needed to figure out how many calories I should eat. I decided to turn to My Fitness Pal again. I updated my weight and exercise level and my goal of losing 1.5 lb a week while exercising 30 minutes a day for 7 days, and MFP told me I should consume 1,400 calories per day.  



Bonnie had sent me information for 1,200 and 1,500 calorie exchange plans, so I Googled "1,400 calories Diabetic Exchange Plan" and lo and behold, there was such a thing that had been posted, hooray!

Basically, it told me how many of the 6 food groups I could eat each day. For 1.400 calories, that works out to 7 starches, 3 fruit, 3 non starchy vegetables, 5 lean meats, 2 milk, and 3 fat.  I also wanted to make sure I drank at least 8 cups of liquids per day at least and exercised for at least 30 minutes each day.

Once I had that information, I looked for an app that would allow me to log my food exchange choices for the day, but I couldn't find anything because that plan isn't being recommended anymore. No matter, I decided to design my own food log in Excel, and planned my food intake for the day. It took quite a long time because it was new information.  The result is that I have to eat differently from Greg and the kids, but since I only cook dinner, it won't be too bad.

I also downloaded a bunch of free e-books to my Kindle.  I haven't read any of them yet because right now I have plenty of information already and I'm still getting used to the system.


Later on that morning, I got back on my recumbent bike and biked for 52 minutes while I was reading up on the plan. Back in the saddle, and I have to say it felt very good.


Explorer settled himself on a pillow in the window box next to me.
I had a late breakfast. I'm never hungry first thing in the morning and I figured that if I could delay having breakfast, I could push back lunch as well and wouldn't feel as hungry for dinner. I decided that every morning, I would exercise between 9 and 10 a.m. so then I could cook breakfast and settle myself to eat it while I watched "Law & Order: Criminal Intent", that is broadcast on TV every morning at 10 a.m.  It's my treat for exercising.

That morning I had 2 eggs with 1/4 cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of sliced zucchini, and a cup of papaya.  I was still learning.

I went to pick up my son from school at 11:10 a.m. and since he had Chinese food left over from Sunday night, he decided to have that for lunch.

Later on, my lunch was this:

Half a pita with homemade tuna salad, a stick of light string cheese and an apple.
I also brewed myself a pitcher of cold peach herbal tea to drink in between cups of Caffeine Free Diet Coke during the day.

In the meantime, Explorer was pining for Male Cat to play with him...

But Male Cat ignored him.
I went to check on the garden.  The rain has helped a lot!

The impatiens are coming back!

I had a couple of visitors at the feeders, although I only managed to photograph the female

The Ichiban eggplants are noticeably larger than last week

There are a lot of serrano peppers on my plant!

The basil babies are definitely growing

And so is my guest tomato plant!

The pentas lost a lot of blossoms though...

And despite what I had thought was a real downpour the previous day, my rain barrel was only halfway full.
Youngest Son has a summer reading project for his English honors class next year, so he picked the book that he wanted to read and I put it on hold at the library but also purchased a used copy from Amazon (free to me with my Amazon Rewards points) since he'll be going camping and I'd rather we don't have to stress over a library book.
I didn't take any pictures of my dinner, but my food intake was great. I planned it to follow the Diabetic Exchange Plan for 1,400 calories and then logged everything into My Fitness Pal as well, and ended up with 1,339 calories.  It being the first day, I actually didn't meet all my goals in the exchange plan, as I should have had another 1/2 starch, 3/4 of a non starchy vegetable, and 1.5 fat. Still, I wasn't hungry at the end of the day and I fell asleep on the couch while watching Peep Show with Greg, at about 9:45 p.m.  I drank all 8 cups of liquids that day and wisely stopped with dinner so I didn't even have to pee too much overnight, which has always been a concern. I do have to pee frequently during the day, which is very annoying, but such is life. I'm home most days anyway so it's not a huge imposition.

Wednesday 5/24/17
This was the final day of school for Youngest Son.  The weather was stormy and we were under a tornado watch for most of the day and then under a thunderstorm watch!



My daughter and her BFF went to the high school to retrieve their high school diplomas. She decided to keep her graduation gown and the sash (she had tried to return the sash after graduation, as instructed, but they ended up telling her to keep it) after all.  I told her she had better take it to college with her, then, because I'll be returning them if I find them in my house. I'm very irked with her, she is never going to be wearing those again, it's just clutter.  Her brother can't use the gown as he is much taller than she is and also he doesn't plan on attending his graduation ceremony.



Wednesday is usually my Shopping Day but since I have a new routine and I had to pick up Youngest Son at 11:15 a.m. from school, I decided to go after that. In the morning, I did like the previous day: did some chores, planned my food intake, exercised, had breakfast while watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and then went to pick up Youngest Son.

Breakfast, same as yesterday.
I decided to treat the kids for lunch so I was planning on stopping by Subway on my way home, but the hordes of high school students had descended on the franchise so we went to grab 2 pre-made sandwiches from the Publix Deli instead and then got Sodapalooza refills from free from RaceTrac. I have yet more free drink coupons in my app, including one that expired in a couple of days so I grabbed an extra medium Caffeine Free Diet Coke for myself too.




I drove my son home and then went shopping.  That day, I decided to stick to just 2 stores: Aldi and then Save A  Lot, with a stop at RaceTrac to gas up.  I hadn't planned on going to Save A Lot, actually, but I realized that I was almost out of no salt added canned corn and Aldi doesn't carry it.

So my shopping was done pretty fast. I did go over budget as I spent $104.93 on groceries for the week, but I stocked up on ground beef (10 lbs), bought quite a bit of produce, and got one off items such as whole wheat tortillas, sugar free creamer, some coconut water, 12 cans of NSA corn and 6 cans of NSA green beans, and bought some salmon for one dinner (about $8.00 for 1 lb but it's a nice change from the usual). Overall, I'm still at $319.07 for the month of May (my budget was $400), as it was my last shopping day for the month (although now I'm thinking I might need to go buy more cucumbers before Wednesday).  That would be great if we hadn't spent a whooping $480 in eating out/ordering in expenses for the month!  Another reason why it was time for me to go back on a diet...

Save A Lot: I got some limes on 50% off clearance ($0.45 for 8, I think) and I'm using them to
make lime-infused water.  The vinegar is to pour at the bottom of my non-working dishwasher
since even when I vacuum the dripping water out, it stinks (the pump no longer works and I'm using it
as a giant drying rack).

I had 2 dozens of eggs in the fridge already but I saw that SAL had them on sale for
0.79 a dozen so I got 2 more. I do use 2 eggs a day, anyway.

Aldi
Since it was Wednesday, I turned on the TV to Ion TV that runs a Law & Order marathon on Wednesdays and Fridays nowadays, and set about inputting my receipts into my spreadsheets.  For once, I couldn't redeem any rebates at all, although I realized the next day upon updating the Ibotta app that you can now redeem the $0.25 any item rebate at Aldi if you want to.

It rained quite a bit that day, hooray, but no tornadoes, double hooray!

In the afternoon, Youngest Son decided to go attend his teen program at the library and asked if he could drive there. It was the first time he drove my SUV since finishing his driver's ed course and I'm relieved that it was very beneficial as he is much more sure of himself now.

At the library, I returned a book and picked up the one I had put on hold. They also had a few coupons that I grabbed.  Youngest Son walked back from his program at the end of the day, as the rain had stopped.  He was given a string bag and a pair of ear buds as part of the Teen Reading Summer Program.




I did more research on cookbooks for the Diabetic Exchange Program and couldn't really find anything, but ended up ordered a used cookbook from Amazon for free with my Rewards points. I might also buy the book that I borrowed from the library, we'll see.


After dinner, Greg and I took my SUV to the garage as it was scheduled to go a check-up on Thursday that was going to take all day.  We watched some episodes of "Peep Show" together afterwards and once again, I fell asleep on the couch before 10 p.m. and slept well until the next morning once I dragged myself to bed.

Thursday 5/25/17
I've decided that my routine for the summer will include getting up before Greg so I can still prep his breakfast and packed his lunch and also drive to RaceTrac to get us Sodapalooza refills. That morning, I also gassed up his truck since he almost had no gas left.

I came home, we chatted for a minute, and he left.  I did the dishes, and then sat down to plan my food intake for the day. As I wrote the date on my journal page, I was thinking "May 25, May 25... that's something important, isn't it?!" and then it dawned on me... so I called Greg and told him he had to come back home because we had forgotten to do something. He said "Well no, I have my wallet, my lunch and my laptop so I didn't forget anything!".  So I announced that today was our 16th anniversary and that we had both forgotten about it!  We laughed about it although honestly, I was a little sad about it too, but it's hard to be too sad when you have also forgotten!

My morning went as planned: some chores, planning my food intake, exercising, cooking breakfast, watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent while I ate it.

Two of the kittens on my right as I was biking

And one on the left!

Breakfast: I decided to switch to egg whites and used reduced-fat cheddar and zucchini, half a whole wheat tortilla, a cup of papaya
Then I fought with my laser printer for a while, that had stopped printing. Ugh.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times before realizing that it might be a cable problem (it's not a wifi printer) and sure enough, it was.  I'm happy that I keep all the cables that I come across as I did have an extra cable to use, and I was back in business. Phew!

My daughter and I decided to finish watching Season 5 of Game of Thrones, so we spent 3 hours doing that in the afternoon, along with some cats to keep us company.  We took a break so I could make my lunch in the early afternoon.

Princess was by my side

My lunch. It doesn't look appetizing but it was actually very good: the filling for my tortilla was a mixture of black beans, salsa, light sour cream and lettuce, I made fat free bean dip to go with my saltines (a Weight Watchers recipe) and since I didn't have my mid-morning snack, I had it for lunch: a shake made with 1 cup of 2% milk and 1.25 cup of fresh strawberries, yum.

It was a girl afternoon as Princess napped for a long time next to me...

And New Kitty cuddled with my daughter!
The garage called at 4 p.m. to say my SUV was ready so my daughter and I drove to pick it up.  It ended up costing me $40 less than the estimate (so about $1,100) and they didn't have to change my brake pads and also cleaned my battery contacts that had corroded again.  I now feel better about driving my SUV when we go on our trip soon.

When Greg got home, I told him that I had gotten him an anniversary present (the kayak cart) but I haven't shown it to him yet as I was storing it in my gardening shed.  We had decided that our anniversary dinner would actually be an anniversary lunch this weekend, probably at Carraba's since we have a gift card. I'll have to check the menu to see if there's something I can eat safely. Since I don't eat my exercise calories, I can splurge a little that day :)

We did drive to RaceTrac to get Sodapalooza refills and called it a "date" :)

After that, we watched more episodes of "Peep Show" and yep, you guessed it, I fell asleep on the couch again.  I haven't been feeling tired during the day and I've been sleeping well at night, win/win!

Friday 5/26/17
Greg got up before me this morning, which is unusual, so I didn't drive to RaceTrac.

The backyard is greener because of the rain we've had in the past week, but it's all weeds, of course. Still, it's nice to see some green!  Greg will even have to mow it this weekend as it looks a little shaggy!



I really like my new routine so I stick to it. I did some chores, planned my food intake for the day, exercised from 9 to 9:50 or so, cooked breakfast and ate while I was watching L&O:CI.

Same breakfast as yesterday minus the whole wheat tortilla since I'll be having a pretzel roll for dinner tonight!
Another good side effect of my new diet is that I really don't feel hungry in between meals.  I have decided to have protein for breakfast to ensure that I don't start my day by being starved before lunch, and it's working. If I eat starches at night, I'm fine to fall asleep sooner, which prevents me from late-night snacking.  And I really like my journal, it's so helpful.  I put it in a (recycled) binder, along with the rest of the information that I had printed. I also saved some of the information in Google Drive, so I can access it from my phone if I'm out at a restaurant or grocery store.



I did some light chores, tracked Greg's latest paycheck in my Tax Worksheet (we had some stock options that vested on that check so suddenly his YTD pay and the amount of federal tax paid have rocketed although we don't have any more money in our checking account) and balanced our checkbook.

Then Greg emailed me the announcement from his employer that they'd had an exceptional year so they're matching the 2016 401(k) contributions at 100%, up to 6% of Greg's yearly base pay!  Hooray!  That is a serious boon for us in Greg's Roth 401(k) plan!  Hopefully the stock exchange won't tank any time soon...

Another piece of good news is that I earned enough Microsoft Rewards to be able to order another $5 Amazon gift card, woohoo!

I went outside to refill the hummingbird feeders with homemade nectar, and then I inspected the rain barrel and found it full, so I was able to refill all 18 cat litter jugs that I had yet to refill. Hooray!


I had lunch while the kittens hovered over me...





... and then Youngest Son and I left to do some shopping.  First I had to go to the library to pick up a book so I had him drive us there, and then he drove us to Target. There, I bought him some shorts, a couple of T-shirts, socks, and a new grown-up wallet.  My phone wouldn't connect to AT&T inside the store and I didn't want to connect to their wifi because I don't want them tracking me, so I was frustrated not to be able to use the Cartwheel app until I was closer to the front doors, grr.  But when I was able to check, nothing was eligible for a discount :(  However, everything but the wallet was on sale, and I discovered a $5 Target gift card in my wallet that I had kept from several months ago. That and the 5% RedCard discount saved me over $12 from my bill, or the cost of 3/4 of a pair of shorts, lol.

Then we walked to Payless ShoeSource next door, and bought him a pair of sneakers (Champion, on sale for $19, marked down from $59.99!) and a pair of hiking boots ($44.99) since Greg had appropriated the ones that our son had inherited from Greg's dad.

From there, I drove us to Dollar Tree, where I got some cleaning supplies for the bathrooms. We walked to Bath & Body Works where I redeemed my coupon for a free full-size Signature item. I picked a bottle of shower gel for my daughter.


On the way home, we got ourselves some Sodapalooza refills. I love that my local station has Caffeine Free Diet Coke. The station where I actually get gas in Clermont doesn't :(

Back home, I had my mid-afternoon snack (the clementines were part of my lunch but I hadn't eaten them).

1 oz of Black Forest turkey, 2 saltines, a tbsp of black bean dip, a cup of cucumber slices.

10 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, Nathalie! Too funny you both forgot! Wow, but you are motivated about your diet and exercise! Well done! You are going to lose those extra lbs. in no time! I should follow your example and follow a diabetic exchange diet, myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless! So far I'm liking being on this diet/exercise regimen, but the real test will be next week when I'm PMS'ing and want to eat everything in sight, and then on our trip. I've just spent the afternoon researching best choices at fast food places, since more than likely we'll be eating at those places. Do you have access to a nutritionist/dietician who could guide you with what you should eat for weight loss but also make sure you're healing your body?

      Delete
  2. I think I am going to join you on this diabetic exchange journey. My counting calories only isn't working for me. I need a true meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calorie counting has always been appealing to me because I could still eat the foods that I liked but I just had to control my portions. However, I was having a hard time trying to control the sodium intake and also balance getting enough of the nutrients that I needed. My biggest downfall (and I have a lot as I love to eat!) is definitely carbs so I figured that eating fewer carbs was probably the way to go. It was really a wake-up call when I felt so very tired on Monday afternoon without having done anything strenuous at all. I couldn't keep my eyes open! And the fact that I'm predisposed for diabetes had been lurking in the back of my mind for a while. There is not a lot of information about the Diabetic Exchange Plan, unfortunately. I've had to piece together resources myself from various sites. I'll put together a post about what I've uncovered in the next few days, if you'd like. Then you can decide whether you want to follow it or not.

      Delete
  3. It was nice to read as the week went along how you went from blah to having a little more pep. It's amazing what some good food and decent sleep will do. Hope the trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are so right. The sleep, especially, had been nice. I wake up feeling more rested (the fact that the kittens have been avoiding me because I've been on their case about their behavior helps!) and I haven't had any bouts of feeling very hungry so far. But it's been easy because I mostly stayed home. I turned down going to hike today because I was worried about how to fit my food intake around a long hike in the hot sun, and because since I've increased my liquid intake so much, I really do have to use the bathroom much more often and so that would severely limit our walks. I'd like Greg to wake up much earlier so we can go walk first thing in the morning when it's cooler AND I haven't drank much of anything yet, but he works hard all week so he likes to sleep in on the weekends!

      Delete
  4. Belated anniversary. I'm sitting here thinking about food- my downfall. I love good food- fast food or anything from a restaurant not so much. I also love ice cream though! If I have menus I do well- today it's French dip and three bean salad. I made the beef in the crock pot yesterday and the bean salad has been in the fridge for a few days now! I think tomorrow I'll be going to daughter's and have smoked turkey. Why don't you get your son to start cooking for you this summer? It would be good training for him and helpful to you. My grandsons both like to cook- I gave them each an Aldi's gift card to use for their snacks this summer heehee. Soninlaw works from home so can still supervise when they are in the kitchen and my daughter is home most of the summer. I told the boys I'd teach them how to make pie crust this week but they have lifeguard camp from 8 to 4 so it will have to wait. I've been dying for a piece of cherry pie for Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny, I was just thinking a few days ago that I ought to show my son how to cook several things, even such basic things as rice, pasta, making scrambled eggs, etc. So I might take you up on that. Right now he's not showing any interest in it. He did sign up for a Culinary class as an elective for next year, so if they do place him in it, he might decide to start cooking on his own.

      It's nice that your grandsons like to cook, their significant others will be very happy, probably!

      Delete
  5. Funny how we both turned to My Fitness Pal at the same time! I love that you are posting pictures of what you eat. It gives me ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was away and just got back. I've been using MyFitnessPal off and on for a couple of years. Before that, I was on LoseIt! You have to be very careful on MFP, a lot of the information for foods is completely inaccurate. I even scanned an item in today (Aldi's whole wheat hamburger buns) and the info that popped up was wrong (off by 20 calories). So then I searched for it by name and one of the submissions was correct but not the one suggested by the scanner...

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!