Monday, June 19, 2017

Domestic Monday ~ Monday 6/19/17



I went to bed at 10 p.m. last night and watched an episode of Forensic Files on my Kindle, during which I fell asleep. Then I slept well until about 2 a.m. when Explorer came to cuddle and woke me up. After that, I tossed and turned for a long time. The sciatic nerve down my right leg started to bother me, for some reason, and I was very uncomfortable. I finally fell back asleep and slept like a rock until 9:30 a.m. when once again Explorer came in to ask for breakfast.  I had turned off my morning alarm because if someone's going be a jerk, I'm not going to get up to pack his lunch and see him off...

So today started badly for me on a couple of levels!  Just the day after I was philosophizing about how I was going back on the routine that works best for me, I got up late so I didn't do it. Arrgh.

I fed the cats, checked emails, cooked breakfast and brewed my coffee, ate while I read the news with Law & Order: Criminal Intent in the background.  What I haven't done yet is plan my food intake for the day and exercise. Oh, and it's Domestic Monday and I haven't started on any chores yet. Oh well. OH FREAKING WELL!  I might just do the laundry and the dishes (oh, how I have to do the dishes!) and leave it at that...

Well, I might not be following the routine but I'll do my best to still do everything that I had meant to do, just in a different order.

Here's my To Do List, continued from Friday...
  • Do the dishes DONE
  • Plan my food intake for the day - DONE
  • ExerciseDONE
  • Return book to the libraryDONE
  • Bake bread
  • Write check for mortgage and mail it WROTE THE CHECK, WILL MAIL IT WEDNESDAY
  • Look for the article I had saved about what to do once your mortgage is almost paid off
  • Transfer money to New Car Savings
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Post trip pictures on French blog
  • Write and mail postcards to my mom and great aunt
  • Write and mail postcard to a friend
  • Edit another Vacation post
  • Freeze peppers and eggplants
  • Clip cats' claws
  • Do laundryDONE
  • Clean upstairs bathroom
  • Pull weeds IN PROGRESS
  • Make hummingbird nectar
  • Make dinner menu for the weekDONE
  • Cut up onion and zucchinis for breakfastsDONE
  • Cut up and freeze meat bought on Friday
  • Clip and file printed couponsDONE
  • Make eye doctor appointment

SUCCESSES AND FAILURES OF THE DAY
  • I weighed myself and lost back 0.4 lbs that I had regained this weekend. Yay!

  • PinchMe granted me early access to the free samples this month again so I was able to claim 4 of them.

  • There was about 4 oz of decaf coffee left in the post this morning so I mixed it with my first mug of fully caffeinated brew this morning.  Since I've discovered sugar free French Vanilla powdered creamer at Aldi, I haven't used any sweetener (or milk) in my coffee. 

  • Greg had thrown away a bag of bread with 2 heels in it.  The trashcan was clean since my son had changed the bag last night, so I fished out the bag of bread. The bag will be reused to scoop out the upstairs litterbox, while the heels will be turned into bread crumbs.

  • My first Swagbucks goal for today is 30 SB. I earned a few and started playing videos in hope to reach my first goal today. It might be hard as they're the kind you have to click on to progress to the next one and I really should be away from the laptop today!  Update: I did reach my 1st goal and I'm about to reach my 2nd goal. Yay!


  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits for today.

  • Although later than I should have, I did plan my food intake for the day.  I usually have pretty much the same breakfast, morning snack (which I actually eat with my lunch!) and evening snack every day, so I fill those sections first, then I fill the dinner section with whatever I have planned to cook, and then lunch ends up being whatever is left to eat.  I've been trying to eat the same dinners as my family for the most part, but sometimes I change things a little.   After I'm done planning that on my Diabetic Exchange Diet Journal (the one that I designed myself), I input my food into My Fitness Pal to make sure I'm close to 1,400 calories, which is what MFP is telling me to eat for my age, statistics and goal.  Usually, I'm pretty close!

  • I inventoried my fridge and then designed a dinner menu for the week while I exercised on my recumbent bike.


  • Then I looked through the Betty Crocker's Diabetic Cookbook (2003 edition) again to make sure there would be a lot of recipes I'd want to cook before I decided to buy it. I really like it, there seem to be a ton of recipes that not only I would like but also that my family would enjoy and almost none with ingredients that I don't buy regularly anyway. Woohoo!  I decided to go ahead and purchased a used copy of the book from Amazon right away instead of waiting until later on this year.  It cost $5.53 with free shipping and I used my Microsoft Rewards gift card balance to get it for free. Woohoo!

  • I unlocked new offers from MobiSave and Ibotta on the respective apps.

  • I drove to RaceTrac to refill Youngest Son's and my Sodapalooza cups for free.  They still had one Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich and a new freebie coupon had appeared in my app this morning so I was able to redeem it for Youngest Son. Yay!

  • Then I drove to the library to return my Lee Child book that was due today and couldn't be renewed. I never did read it, oh well.  They had sent me an email this morning that I had another book waiting for me.  I don't remember putting it on hold but I must have.  I don't have diabetes (well, maybe I do, I don't know since I don't go to the doctor's!) but my dad and grandpa both have/had it, so any knowledge about it is good knowledge. I'll try to read it, although non-fiction and I aren't necessarily great friends when it comes to books.

  • I checked the donation pile and, although the library was full of people attending a job fair there, no one had grabbed the coupon inserts that were in there, so I did :)

  • There is a scavenger hunt for adults organized at the library next Monday afternoon so I was going to participate, but it ends an hour and a half before the free Floral Arrangement class that I signed up for, and I really have other things to do on Mondays than wait around the tiny library for 90 minutes (I could drive home since it's just a mile away, but then I'd probably skip the Floral Arrangement class and disappoint the librarian who's organized it and asked me to attend!).  Know thyself, right?

  • Then I drove to McDonald's because I had a coupon for a free McFlurry with any purchase, so I bought Youngest Son a medium fries and got him a free Oreo McFlurry. When it came to paying, I remembered that several months ago I had bought a $5 McDonald's gift card from him (he had won it during a FBLA competition) so I used part of it to pay for the fries and didn't have to use any cash at all. 

  • Youngest Son was very appreciate of his almost free meal.  That's always nice when someone appreciates what you do for them, isn't it?

  • I cleaned the upstairs litterbox by reusing the bread bag that Greg had thrown away this morning.

  • I did the laundry.  I only needed to do one "super" load today. If I had started the laundry earlier, I might have been able to dry it outside, but now we have thunderstorms predicted this afternoon so I'll have to throw it in the dryer since the kittens won't leave it alone if I dry it indoors.

  • The sheets that I bought at Goodwill last week smelled musty even though I had washed them. I realized that it was because I had dried them with a bath mat that didn't get completely dried. Ugh. So I threw everything back in the dryer with a couple of ancient dryer sheets that I bought probably 15 years ago (I don't usually use dryer sheets). Hopefully I won't have to rewash the sheets.

  • I probably should have avoided to watch a  true crime show called "The Gainesville Ripper" about gruesome UF co-ed murders that took place in 1990 in Gainesville, FL, when my own daughter is about to become a UF co-ed...

  • It finally began to rain at about 2:30 p.m.!  I don't mind the rain if I'm planning on being home because we need it and it takes care of watering the garden for me!  And then  it poured at 4:22 pm. for a good 20 minutes.
The rain clouds approaching at about 2:00 pm.
  • I entered my weight and exercise into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices. With their new interface (I don't think it's working very well), I have no idea how many BR points I earn each day :( There are guidelines but I don't think the totals are updated as soon as we input the data.

  • My daughter got home safely from her dad's and we caught up on our weekends. I was pleased that she celebrated Father's Day appropriately :)  She shared that Middle Son is moving out of the house that he was renting with friends because of incompatibility with one roommate, who is the grandson of the landlord. Apparently the landlord offered to let him out of the lease. I hope that's true!  Regardless, he's now either moving back with his dad's or his grandmother's while he's trying to secure an apartment with the 3rd roommate closer to my neck of the woods, actually.

  • Right before she got home, I texted Greg to ask him whether we could stop being mad at each other now and he replied "done!" so we're made up, I guess. No apology will happen, he rarely apologizes (because he never thinks he's wrong).  I won't apologize either because I definitely wasn't wrong :)

  • He has to go back to Vancouver in early July, right before going on his 2-week vacation. That always means less cooking for me so I'm trying to look on the bright side...
  • I clipped all the coupons that I might use from the inserts that I picked up this morning, as well as all the coupons that I printed yesterday. I'll try to sort them into my organizer tonight or tomorrow.

  • I printed the menu that I designed for the week and posted it on the fridge.

  • I cut up and stored in the fridge the last large onion and a zucchini so now there's less prep needed at breakfast time AND the onion won't go bad. When I buy the 3-lb bags of onions, I always end up having to compost several of them because I don't use them fast enough. So I think I might have to buy them by the pound, at Save A Lot from now on.

  • I wrote a big fat check to our mortgage company to be applied to our principal, representing the bulk of Greg's bonus this year.  I'll wait until Wednesday to mail it as I want to mail it directly at the Post Office (I'm paranoid that way).  Once it's credited to our account, I'll request the quote for the balance of the mortgage, I guess. I think we'll only have 3 or 4 months of payments to send!

  • Once again I delayed until the last possible moment, but it's past 5 p.m. so I need to go do the dishes. Blah. I'll watch something on my Kindle Fire to make the time pass faster.

  • I'm making tacos for the family for dinner with ground beef purchased at 50% off last week and tortillas I've had in my fridge for a while.  I'll serve that can of refried beans that I opened by mistake last week as a side, along with some salad. I'll eat the last of the beef stew.


  • I did the dishes while watching an episode of the Great British Baking Show. Somehow, having them handle dishes while I'm handling dishes makes me feel like I'm participating in the show too!

  • I checked the mail and was surprised to find an envelope from my kids' former elementary school, addressed to me... it was a thank you card for mailing in all those Boxtops for Education labels!  Awww, right as I was feeling unappreciated! Never underestimate the power of a thank you.

  • We also received Youngest Son's final report card for 9th grade.  So proud of him!

  • I ended up cooking 2 lbs of ground beef for the tacos since the chubs that I bought last week are 2-lb chubs.  We have leftovers so I think I'll cook pasta and mix the remainder of the taco meat with the pasta for my son's lunches this week.

  • My daughter must be reading my blog (and, if so, hi daughter! 🙋) because she came to me after dinner, rubbed my back and thanked for doing "all that like cooking and doing the dishes and stuff!". I looked at her suspiciously and she swore that she wasn't trying to butter me up for anything :)

  • She was looking for extra-long sheets to take with her to Gainesville tomorrow even though  told her she didn't have any, and she found the quilt that she and her classmates had "made" back in 2nd grade.  They had each designed a quilt square based on their favorite book that year, and a talented teacher had turned it into a quilt. Then the quilt was put up as a prize for a raffle held at the school, and I won the raffle. She and I had been discussed that quilt during our trip, so when she found it tonight, I told her she could have it.  I guess that declutters my closet, although I was sad to give it to her as well!


HEALTH
  • I lost 0.4 lbs so I was back down to 217.4 lbs this morning (I started at 230 lbs last month).

  • Breakfast was 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup of onion, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup spinach. I used Mrs Dash Salt Free Garlic and Herbs seasoning on it.  I had 2 clementines too.

  • Did I mention that I take a multivitamin in the mornings now?  I'm not a vitamin taker, but it's been hard to hit all my nutrients at times so this is helping me not stress about it.

  • I exercised on my recumbent bike for 49 minutes and biked 9:06 miles.

  • Lunch was a whole wheat tortilla with 1 oz of oven roasted turkey, 1 tbsp of light mayo and some spinach leaves, 2 cups of Romaine lettuce with 1 tbsp light balsamic vinaigrette, 1 cup of papaya, and a strawberry shake (1 cup ~2% milk with 1 tbsp stevia and 1.25 cups strawberries).

  • Afternoon snack was a slice of homemade whole wheat bread and a tablespoon of Polaner sugar free apricot spread.

  • Dinner was beef stew leftovers and a piece of homemade buttermilk cornbread.


FREEBIES
  • I was able to claim 4 free samples from PinchMe.com
  • Ordered a used book from Amazon which was free to me since I used the gift cards earned from Microsoft Rewards
  • Redeemed a coupon for a free Bacon Ranch Chicken sandwich at RaceTrac
  • Redeemed a coupon for a free McFlurry (with any purchase) at McDonald's
  • Collected several coupon inserts from the library's donation box
  • Borrowed a new book from the library (yes, I count those as freebies!)

CATS

I swear Youngest Son has bribed the kittens to spend the days with him in the Cat Room these days because he has all 6 cats in there now and no one is cuddling with me anymore :(

However, at lunchtime, Tabby Kitten must have smelled the papaya because he suddenly appeared and was very insistent on trying to eat my papaya cubes!

"You gonna eat that?!"

So I took pity on him and, when I was done, I put the measuring cup that had held the papaya on the couch and he stuffed his head in there to lick the juice and eat whatever scraps were clinging to the cup!

Silly kitten!
How was your Monday?

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Loving your vacation photos! It looks like you and your daughter had a really good time. Glad you made it safely back. Hope the rest of your summer is relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! Thanks :) Yes, we had a great time. I miss not having to worry about doing chores, cooking, etc. ha! I hope you're doing well and getting to relax as well.

      Delete
  2. Nothing says the vacation has ended as Domestic Monday! Your breakfast looks too healthy, with all those vegetables! You are doing so well with your meal plan! I am admiring your tenacity. I know I couldn't do that. I can manage fruit for breakfast, but vegetables? I don't know if I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't eat when I first get up so I have breakfast at about 10 a.m. By then I'm so hungry, I could eat anything :)

      Delete
  3. How you manage to do three posts in one day with all the gorgeous photography, reply to comments and still manage to read other peoples' blogs will forever remain a mystery to me. On top of that, you still manage to get an amazing lot of work done. You mustn't watch any TV in the evenings.

    Yay for sending off a big cheque against your mortgage. Do you have any big plans for celebration later in the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll share my secret: the vacation posts were typed on the same day as the one I'm recounting, from my hotel room, at night. My memory isn't quite that good, which is why I had to type it all up right away. I inserted the pictures when I got back, while watching TV at night, and I scheduled the posts to be published every afternoon at 3 p.m. I still have to finish inserting the pictures for 2 more posts but we didn't do much on those last 2 days so it'll be faster :) Lately, Greg and I have been playing classical music at night because he's been reading a lot and I'm usually busy on the laptop anyway. I can't seem to just enjoy watching a show without doing something else at the same time!

      No plans for a big celebration, although I've asked him if we could go to Carrabba's this weekend to use up a gift card and say that we're celebrating early :) We'll see if we get to go.

      Delete
  4. ...texted Greg to ask him whether we could stop being mad at each other now... I'm sorry, I know it's a tough situation when there is tension or a fight, but the way you made up made me laugh. At least you made up fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both very stubborn and I know from experience he rarely is the first one to make the first step towards reconciliation, which is not a good thing, but there it is. SO oftentimes I have to start the process and swallow my anger because, in the end, it's not like we're going to get divorced over stuff like that, and I'm had my fill of not talking to one another for several days on end. It's stressful for everyone. Sigh. I'd prefer we never fight at all.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!