Sunday, June 18, 2017

🙌👌🙌 Getting Back on Track ~ Sunday 6/18/17


I'm going to start talking about health, diabetic exchange diet, exercise, so if that doesn't interest you, skip down a bit :)

So I woke up this morning at a little bit past 8 a.m. and my immediate thought was that today I really needed to get back on track.  The thing is, I've gone great with my diet and exercise during my trip for the most part and even lost weight. Then this week should have been easy since I had established a routine I really liked before I left, did very well with a necessarily different routine when I was traveling and wasn't feeling like I wanted to quit my diet or any of the things that I did before I left.

However, this week ended up being challenging for me for some reason, even though I continued to do well on my diet.  I felt very disorganized as my routine wasn't falling back into place due to really just ONE big reason: I wasn't making it a priority. I had a bunch of excuses, valid or not (I was tired, I let myself go back to being lazy, I made plans to meet a friend super early, I ended up running errands for hours on end that I hadn't planned on running when I contemplated my week ahead, etc...) and consequently a couple of things didn't happen this week:
  • I mostly didn't plan my food intake as soon as I got up. Big mistake.  I'm happy to report that I still made good choices and, calorically speaking, I was able to eat pretty much what I was supposed to eat (save for Monday, I have no idea what happened then but maybe that's why I ended up having a crummy week fatigue-wise?).

  • I didn't make exercising a priority. Why? Mostly because I do step on the scale every morning and as long as I saw that I was losing weight, I didn't worry about it so much. I was being lazy.
However, for the past 2 days, my weight has crept back up.



This isn't very alarming, things fluctuate as your cycle changes, the carbs you eat, etc. But still, it was the first time, I think, that my weight crept back up since I started the diabetic exchange diet.  So I started pondering and a bunch of information that I have read recently came back to mind:
  • Counting calories is not enough because not all calories are equal!  Food contains three main nutrients: carbohydrate, protein and fat.  They, in turn, don't provide the same energy at all.  I'm probably not explaining it right, but a carb and a protein will affect you and your weight loss differently. Your body does need all three, though.  So I could stay within my calorie range, but is all I eat is fatty foods within that calorie range, I'm probably going to not lose weight as fast, and my energy level is surely going to be lower.  And then there's the whole added cholesterol aspect, etc...  So even though I did mostly very well with my calories this week, I've been playing loose with the exchanges somewhat because I didn't plan my food intake in the morning.  I'm finding that it's a huge part of my staying on track. Yes, it allows for less spontaneity as far as "let's go fishing!" or "boy I could go for fried calamari and one of those tropical lemonades!", as Greg uttered yesterday on a couple of occasions, but I need to consider what's more important to me right now and getting into and staying in the right frame of mind regarding my diet will not only allow me to lose weight, something that I really have to and want to do, but also train my mind in keeping those good habits for the rest of my life, something that I desperately need to do as I do have a family history of diabetes type 2.

  • I can't be complacent about exercising.  Even if I do stay within my calorie range, I need to move and exercise!  First of, it's one of the recommendations for diabetics (and really, everyone), but also, since I don't eat the calories earned by exercising (my choice), exercising is definitely a plus when trying to lose weight.  The only day I actively exercised this week was Wednesday (and today).  Sure, I ran lots of errands, vacuumed my house, made many trips from the couch to the kitchen, up the stairs, etc. but I can't count that as my exercise. I need to train my mind and body to expect to either take a hike or get on the recumbent (or real) bike every day. And then not eat those exercise calories because I'm liable to use them as an excuse to eat things that are bad for me every day (hello baked goods!).  I'd rather not use them and then NOT feel guilty if Greg and I do go out and I do choose to indulge in ONE dessert or ONE tropical lemonade once in a while. After all, that's what I did on my vacation and that worked just fine for me.  Biking 45 minutes on the recumbent bike isn't all that strenuous for me. It's just that I can't be on my laptop while I do that (although I am on my phone or Kindle while I bike!) so it's kind of an inconvenience because I really really love my laptop so much better than my phone or my Kindle :)  

  • So the combination of not planning my meals ahead, not sticking to the exchanges very strictly, not formally exercising, and also not being super good with my liquid intake, resulted in a subtle but definite creep in my weight.  Again, not a huge gain and it's normal to gain some, lose some, but I did want to learn from this and not just be complacent and think "well, that's life". So this is why I'm typing this up, as I re-read my own blog posts.  It'll be a nice reminder in the future although I'm hoping that it'll really be an ongoing validation of what I'm hopefully doing faithfully, moving forward! 
👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌

So I went to bed late again last night and I thought "Live & Learn is going to tsk, tsk me when she reads this!".  I edited my vacation post and dang it, my daughter took a lot of photos so it took me a while to choose which ones to use and then uploading them is excruciatingly slow because the files are huge and our ISP isn't the best.  Then, I felt like my whole day had been running errands and blogging so I wanted to catch up on some other blogs and news and relax (because going fishing and sitting on my butt while chatting about my vaca wasn't relaxation enough, lol).  So I ended up going to bed at 1:30 a.m.!

But I slept so well, and woke up at 8:00 a.m., flanked by my two faithful kittens who were themselves very comfortable, it seemed. I took a few minutes to catch up on emails on my phone, while still in bed, because I didn't want to disturb them! I felt bad waking them up when I got up but I really needed to pee.

Princess is small but she was taking about half the bed by just stretching out like this! She had me pinned!

He woke up when the flash came on :( Until then, he was really comfy!
I hadn't heard Greg leave so I didn't think he had gone fishing. When he went to bed last night, he wasn't feeling great and was doubtful he would go!  But the kayak is gone so he did go. I must have really been out of it.

Downstairs, I fed the cats and brewed my coffee, and then I sat down with my first mug and turned on the laptop.  Then I remembered that I had told myself that I would plan my food intake for today before doing anything else so I did just that.  When I was done, I glanced at the clock and it was 8:55 a.m. by then and my goal is to be on my recumbent bike by 9 a.m. so I quickly did a few things on the laptop and then I moved to the recumbent bike, where I biked for 43 minutes while catching up on the news, blogs and flipping through one of my library cookbooks.  I really like it so I'm going to put it on my wishlist for later on this year, I think (birthday, Christmas?), as I just bought 2 or 3 of those books already and I haven't even cracked them open yet.  I just like that those cookbooks give me the exchanges for all the recipes because I'm lazy and it would save me time not having to try to figure them out!  Plus then I could also cook healthier for my whole family, not just me.


Breakfast, I added some spinach to my egg white omelet this morning, on top of the zucchini and onion.
One of the clementines was spoiled but I rescued half of it and ate it.


I was going to settle down to watch the "Bondathon" on ION TV as I thought it started at 10 a.m., but they had that darn "Criminal Minds" on (dang it, does this lousy show HAVE to be broadcast every single day, ION TV?!) so I put on classical music instead and read a few things on my laptop and started this blog post. Now it's 11 a.m. and I've just tuned it to "Tomorrow Never Dies".  The deal with the James Bond series is that I like the action (and this one is with Pierce Brosnan and I really like him, oh he's so handsome!) but I never understand the plot nor do I remember it or care if I understand it or not, so it's the perfect movie to have playing while I do other things!  Their action sequences are really fabulous and a lot of their stuntmen are typically French so I always derive a little "frisson" of pride from that, hahaha.  Oh, and this one has both Judi Dench the guy who played her love interest "Lionel" on "As Time Goes By", one of my very favorite series so it's an added treat. I love Judi Dench!  Oh and Jonathan Pryce, who's the Great Sparrow in GoT, is in that one too! Anyhoo...

I'm earning some Swagbucks by running some videos on the laptop and I've already earned the Microsoft Rewards credits for the day.  Update: I've reached my 1st Swagbucks Daily Goal (only 30 SB today) and I'll keep running videos in case I can reach my 2nd Daily Goal (which I have met the last couple of days).

I didn't reach my 2nd goal though :(

I just texted Greg to make sure he was still alive and he texted back that he's currently "hunting the white whale" so I hope he doesn't break his last remaining rod (because he broke another one while I was away, I found out!).  He's supposed to go to Dick's after that to try to get his money back for the expensive rod that broke on its own yesterday.  The manufacturer guarantees it for a year, but they want us to pay $10 to ship it back to them first (!) so he's going to see if Dick will exchange or refund it first.

Youngest Son just got up. I reminded him that it's Father's Day (we celebrated yesterday but today is the official day) and gave him one of the two packs of beef jerky that I had gotten at CVS to give to Greg. I'm really irked that he didn't think to get anything on his own and I suppose I shouldn't enable him by letting him off the hook this way.  Well, too late, I've already done it.

However, when I asked what his plans for the day were, he said "school work.  Dad wanted me to mow the lawn but I slept in..." and let that hang there as if that was an excuse not to mow the lawn. So I told him he'd better do that first then, before it got too hot.  The kid really does have an easy life so he needs to buck up and do things like these (says the woman who only does the dishes every 2 or 3 days!).  As I type this, I think he's eating breakfast in front of his computer so I'll go roust him in about 30 minutes.

McDonald's is offering free fries without any purchase necessary today with a coupon in my app, because Orlando City Soccer scored yesterday.  I might go out to get Sodapalooza refills and the fries for Youngest Son (if he mows the lawn!)


Well I'm off to see what coupons are worth printing today and work on my To Do list for the week. I also need to inventory my fridge and make a dinner menu (neither of which I ended up doing, actually).

I printed coupons via Swagbucks and Smartsource, uploaded new offers to my CVS app and they also emailed me a $1 off coupon that I loaded to my card, uploaded digital coupons to my Publix wallet, and unlocked new SavingStar offers.  I also printed Publix store coupons for the hurricane season Get The Savings.  Oh, and then I printed more Publix store coupons from another page on the Get The Savings site, including for Oikos yogurts that Pixel recommended.



Youngest Son started mowing but after a while came in to say the mower had ran out of gas. I wasn't sure if there was a specific gas tank to use so I texted Greg. He must have been keeping his phone handy as he texted back right away so we were able to determine which gas tank to use to refill the mower and my son is back to mowing. Hooray!



I added a few items to my shopping list for next week that I noticed I was running low on.

Ibotta is offering a $5 back on any beer (draft or bottle) at any bar or restaurant today only. Damn it. Greg might want to go out to eat if I tell him... I might not tell him?

I drove to RaceTrac to get Sodapalooza refills for free for Youngest Son and myself.  They did have the Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwiches back in stock, hooray!  So I redeemed the app coupon that expires today to get the sandwich for free for Youngest Son.  The cashier offered me a receipt so I gratefully accepted, although I still have a full envelope of old receipts for which I still haven't taken the surveys to get more freebies, lol!



On my way to McDonald's, Greg called me.  He was at Dick's and said he was all ready with his speech in case they didn't agree to refund the broken rod, but he had no trouble at all!  So that's $53.49 back in our account but then they handed him a 15% off anything coupon so he was going to buy himself a new rod. I told him to make sure to get a sturdier one and he agreed. So he charged another $72.75 to Amex (1% back in Rewards) to get a new rod.  I told him about the free beer and asked and he sounded interested and said he'd think about it.

The drive-thru line at McDonald's was super long so I went inside. The line was not so long but it was busy so it still took a long time to get the food. Still, my large SUV wasn't idling during that time so I saved money that way :)  I redeemed my app coupon for a free large fries for Youngest Son.


So Youngest Son's lunch was 100% free today, woohoo!

I was hungry too as it was past 1 p.m. so I called Greg again to ask whether he would want to go out to lunch or not. He asked about my diet and I assured him that I could adjust my plan if he wanted to go out (although I really didn't want to go out, lol!) but he decided to just come home and eat leftovers. Good man!

So I fixed my lunch. Yum, yum, yum.

Turkey spinach wrap (whole wheat tortilla), spinach with light balsamic vinaigrette, a cup of papaya and a strawberry shake made with 1 cup of ~2% milk and 1 1/4 cup of strawberries. Oh, and a caffeine free Diet Coke.
Youngest Son went to take a shower, he was drenched!  I don't know why he mowed the lawn while wearing jeans, quite honestly but teens always know better, you know?  Meanwhile Greg got home. He didn't catch any fish but on top of that he forgot to put sunscreen on and the top of his legs is very very burnt. He's going to be in so much pain.  After he eats, he'll go shower and I'll give him the aloe.

On the TV now?  "The World Is Not Enough", still with Pierce Brosnan (yum!) and Sophie Marceau, a very popular French actress, and also John Cleese from Monty Python.

Well, Greg started working on the porch. I checked up on him and offered to help and, completely out of the blue, he was very rude in refusing my help and telling me why, which made me very upset.  I guess we're not going to be getting along for a while.  I was all set to start reading my library book but now I'm pretty darn upset so nothing appeals to me at all.  Sometimes it feel like I can't win with my kids or with my husband either and I feel very unappreciated and worse, resented and needless to say, taken for granted; well, I guess I had a pity party on Mother's Day and now I get to have another one on Father's Day, too.  Why can't life just be nice?

So I spent the rest of the afternoon editing some vacation posts and photos.  At dinnertime, I had planned on cooking burgers for the boys and eating leftover beef stew myself, but I sure wasn't in the mood to cook for someone who'd been so rude to me.  I offered to make my son a chicken sandwich, using some of the chicken breast that I had baked earlier in the week for my and my daughter lunches but then I dropped my Pyrex dish containing the chicken breast on the floor and it shattered everywhere!  Crap. It took me forever to sweep it all off and I do hope I got it all. All the cats came to investigate, which didn't help.  So I ended up making my son a ham sandwich instead.

Afterwards, I decided to rinse the chicken breast under water and inspected it and I didn't see any glass shards in it, so I put it back in the fridge and I'll use it for my lunches this week. I warmed up my leftover stew and ate it while I finished editing my vacation posts.  I'll continue posting them one day at a time this week.

So it was a kind of a crappy day after all. I'll probably go to bed early, getting upset like this just drains me.  And no, I didn't overreact.  I acknowledge when I do and I definitely didn't.  It's gonna be a fun time until we make up. Not.

😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

8 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading about your trip and home life. I was a bit sentimental yesterday myself since it was Father's Day and my mother would have been 90. I really lucked out in the parents department- my folks were kind, worked hard, encouraged us to do well in school, and supported all 6 of us kids. I was never spanked in my life unless it was pre-memory and we always had food, spending money and 'nice' clothes. I'd love to go to Asheville sometime and also, touristy Dollywood. I've had some really nice vacations though so can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you keep such great memories of your parents and your childhood, Nan. I'm sure your children and grandchildren will keep equally great memories of you!

      I have secretly also always wanted to go to Dollywood! It seems like such a fun place.

      Delete
  2. ((((HUGS)))) Nathalie, I am so sorry Greg was rude to you and hurt your feelings. Sometimes, we try so hard to take care of everyone else that it feels like we do all the giving, doesn't it? Often we get taken for granted as everyone assumes we will continue to do for others and we wonder who is giving back and doing for us? I am glad to see you taking more time to care for yourself - your diet, your exercising, your weight and health, etc. I hope your day will be better, tomorrow. Continue to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you articulated exactly how I felt (and still feel!), thank you. I'm sure it'll work itself out but darn it, that's not how I envisioned spending yesterday afternoon and the next few days, probably, being mad at each other! Life is too short but also I will always continue to stand for myself, darn it.

      I did sleep in today (he can darn well pack his own lunch!), exercised and am making excellent food choices! If only I could find JOY in doing the dishes...

      Delete
  3. Hope everyone wakes up in better moods today. I hate it when there's tension in the air. And before I say anything about you staying up late, I'm going to have to improve on that myself. I start waking up as soon as it gets light, 5:30 am or so and I don't go to bed early enough to get the sleep I really need. I know this, but there always seems to be another thing to do on my way to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if we're still grumpy with each other when he gets home tonight. I didn't wake up with him this morning. I went to bed in time but then the kittens woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep properly for a long time so I slept in until 9:30 a.m.!

      It's so easy to push back your bedtime and stay up too late doing things that don't necessarily need to be done in the middle of the night! I'm guilty of this a lot so I have to make a conscious effort to make myself go to bed no later than 10:30 p.m. Having enough sleep makes such a difference.

      Delete
  4. It's a good idea to go over your weight loss and eating plan once a week to assess any changes and make a few tweaks to the plan. Give yourself a pat on the back. You have been doing really well, IMO.

    I really do appreciate all the work you have been putting into the travel posts. I do know how time-consuming it is to prepare all the photos and downloads you are doing for OUR benefit. I went to the "Art in the Garden" tour yesterday in Perth and FORGOT to take my camera AND my phone. I am relying on my son's GF to supply me with some of her photos later today.

    What a terrible thing that happened while you were making dinner, at a time you were already feeling "less than wonderful". I felt for you. Cleaning up all the glass from another shattered Pyrex when you are trying to get supper on the table, is really crappy. Didn't you just replace a Pyrex casserole dish? Anyways, you have stamina. Times like that would turn me to food for comfort, but you are soldiering on. Good for you.

    A very good description of youngest son "mowing the lawn", and you handled it with more grace than I would have. [[I slept in..." and let that hang there as if that was an excuse not to mow the lawn."]] After not getting his dad a card or anything, and not enthusiastically jumping into the ONE thing his dad asked him to do for him, I would have probably laid into him. Running out of gas would have been the last straw, even though that wasn't even his fault....doesn't matter. I would have been ticked off. And then Greg turning on YOU, would have been the whipped cream on top. (I told you I turn to food in times of stress).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memory recall always amazes me! Yes, I did break another Pyrex dish recently. Or rather, I found it broken in my cabinet. It was a large baking dish. The one I broke last night wasn't so large but it was one of my favorites to keep leftovers. Doh.

      I can't believe that you forgot both your camera and your phone yesterday! Didn't you feel naked without your phone?! I take mine to the bathroom with me so it's rare that I leave the house without it.

      I would have blown my top at my son if he wasn't such a good kid in many other areas. And he did go to mow the lawn right after our chat, continued mowing and thanked me after I refilled the lawnmower, and went back outside to finish mowing without a peep when he thought he was done but I pointed out the back corner of our property (he didn't realize it belonged to us since there isn't a fence between our yard and the neighbors'). I was disappointed in him that he didn't put more of an effort forth for his dad in honor of Father's Day, though, although I have found that all my male children have been like this. It makes ME feel like a failure because that's not the way I've raised them, but I suppose different people place some importance on difference things... like I hate weddings and graduations but there's a whole industry around those and most people can't seem to stop yapping about them :)

      Whipped cream... yum! In times of stress, I lose my appetite. I turn to food when I'm bored. But I hear you! I'm being good but feel free to have some whipped cream on my behalf!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!