Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Grocery Shopping This Week (6/28/17)



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2017 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) and now that I'm eating healthier I'm buying a lot more produce, so I'm just trying to remain under $100 every week :)

Today was my first grocery shopping trip that will be deducted from the July budget since most of the days of the upcoming week will take place in July.

I didn't need milk so I skipped CVS.  I could have lowered my cost more by shopping at Walmart with Swagbucks gift cards, but once again I really didn't feel like going to Walmart, so I didn't. 

Lastly, I could have lowered my overall OOP by not buying Reduced Fat Thin Wheat crackers or Swiss rolls (already had a box in the pantry) and not buying so much bread. I wasn't sure that Publix would have the bread that ended up being free so I bought bread at Aldi first.  If I had gone to Publix first, I could have avoided buying a loaf of bread at Aldi.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100
Total OOP: $65.64
Rebates expected: $0.30
Total spent after rebates: $65.34
Money left in budget: $34.66

Money left in budget for the month ($100 = 5 weeks @ $100): $434.66



Publix: $6.04 and will get $0.55 back in rebates

Walgreens: $3.20 and received $2.99 in Register Rewards

Save A Lot: $9.94

Aldi: $46.57

Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads: $7.12 OOP
  • 1 package dinner rolls (SAL, 50% off) @ $0.60
  • 2 packages English muffins (SAL, 50% off) @ $0.64 each
  • 1 loaf Arnold buttermilk bread (Publix) @ $4.29 and redeemed $4.29/1 digital manufacturer coupon, making it FREE
  • 1 package whole wheat hamburgers buns (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 package hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.83 (price lower than last week)
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.83 (price lower than last week)
  • 1 package multigrain + flax flatbread (Aldi) $2.29


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $3.46 OOP
  • 1 cup La Liberté yogurt (Publix) $1.79 and redeemed $1.99 digital manufacturer coupon so 20 cent MONEYMAKER.  Also submitted for a $0.30 SavingStar rebate, possibly making this a $0.50 MONEYMAKER.
  • 12 cups Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.33 each = $3.96

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $6.96 OOP 
  • 2 bottles barbecue sauce (SAL, on sale) @ $0.89 each = $1.78
  • 1 tube Gourmet Garden Ginger paste (Publix) @ $4.29 and I used a $0.55/1 tearpad coupon = $3.74. Then I redeemed a $0.25 off any item rebate from Ibotta so $3.49.
  • 1 jar Alfredo sauce (Aldi) @ $1.69
Produce/Juice: $27.79
  • 0.77 lb yellow onion (SAL) @ $0.99./lb = $0.76 
  • 5 lbs yellow potatoes (Aldi) @ $2.89
  • 1 Athena cantaloupe (Aldi, on sale) @ $0.99
  • 1 head cabbage (Aldi) @ $1.19
  • 2 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $0.89
  • 3 lbs Granny Smith apples (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 3 hearts Romaine (Aldi) @ $2.29
  • 20 oz zucchini (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 2 bags spinach (Aldi) @ $1.49 (price lower than last week)
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 1 broccoli crowns (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 4 lbs strawberries (Aldi, on sale) @ $1.29 each = $5.16
  • 8 oz mushrooms (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 lb cherries (Aldi, on sale) @ $1.99
Proteins: $11.21
  • 4.55 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs (SAL, 50% off) @ $1.04/lb = $4.73
  • 1 dozen large eggs (SAL) @ $0.79
  • 2 links Butterball turkey sausage dinners (Publix, on sale) @ $2.00 each and I redeemed (2) $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.50 (I also submitted for the $4/$16 SavingStar rebate)
  • 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.19

Snacks: $8.80
  • 1 box Mike + Ike Sourz candy (Walgreens, on sale) @ $0.99 plus tax and received $0.99 back in Register Rewards
  • 1 bag Black Forest Organic Sour Heads (Walgreens, on sale) @ $2.00 plus tax and received $2.00 back in Register Rewards
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.39
  • 1 box ice cream bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 box Reduced Fat Thin Wheat crackers (Aldi) @ $1.19 (price lower than last time)
  • 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89

So far this year, I have spent:
January - $292.05
February - $248.17
March - $196.87
April - $417.07
May - $319.07
June - $292.90

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

8 comments:

  1. You came under budget in June! That's great! Sounds like you did very well with this week's shopping, too. You bought a lot of stuff and spent just over $65 for it all! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did help that Greg didn't shop for groceries (save for one loaf of bread, I think) while I was gone for 2 weeks, and that I didn't account for the meals daughter and I took on our trip under "Groceries" for the month!

      Delete
  2. Nice deals! That was an especially good deal on the boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I missed the arnold bread deal, too bad, too because I really like that particular brand and kind. Oh well. I really like Aldi's thin wheat crackers, too, although I just buy the regular version not the low-fat.

    In the picture, the broccoli is reflected in the potato bag and I kept looking at it trying to figure out what it really was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I guess you just answered my unspoken question which was "Does anyone even look at those pictures, ever?" and pointed out the freakiest thing! It does look like the broccoli is reflecting in the potato bag... but I don't think it was. I think it's a picture of the potato fields printed on the bag? I should go check the potato bag but now I'm too tired. I did open it earlier today when I needed potatoes and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, they were just potatoes.

      Those Thin Wheat crackers are delicious, aren't they? The reduced fat version tastes the same to me, perhaps a little drier. I'd gift you our loaf of Arnold bread if you were closer, darn it. I have too much bread laying around right now and no space to freeze it!

      Delete
  3. I look at those pictures, so I am glad you started sharing them again. After all, it was because of you that I started to share about my grocery shopping expeditions. I went crazy with my first shop of the month, but I will share a link to mine here. http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2017/07/first-shop-in-july.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I posted this mostly for you because I knew you liked it! It's a lot of work, which is why I had stopped doing it. I may just do a monthly one from now on, à la Laura and Alison P. We'll see!

      Delete
  4. I like it, too, when you post pictures of your "loot." I think it's fun when people do that, and it gives me ideas for trying stuff I might otherwise never try.

    The cherry harvest must be really good this year - I don't ever remember cherries being $1.99/lb, so you bet that I got some at Aldi, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they were delicious too! I wish I had bought more than one pound, although for the purpose of my diet I only eat them 12 at a time (12 cherries = 1 fruit exchange) so 1 lb ended up being perfect. The rainier cherries this week (more expensive at $2.49) are also delicious!

      Well, then I shall continue posting pictures of "my loot" :) I just posted this past week's loot, by the way.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!