Monday, July 17, 2017

Bad Choices and Maybe Domestic Monday ~ Monday 7/17/17


  • I'm not making good choices these days and I'm annoying myself. It seems that every time things start to go well with my diet and routine, I sabotage myself.  Last night I told my daughter I was headed to bed right after she came home at 12:30 p.m. but I ended up staying up until 1:30 a.m.  And then I couldn't sleep so I turned on "Forensic Files" on my Kindle and watched most of an episode. Finally Explorer came to bed and sat on my Kindle so that pretty much forced me to put it away, LOL. It was close to 2 a.m.

  • I had told myself I was going to resume getting up early but of course, I didn't. I could have since Tabby Kitten came in at 6:15 a.m., probably distraught that Greg wasn't home, and started making a racket in my bedroom and jumping on the bed to attack Princess (playfully, but still) so I yelled at him. For the next hour he was in and out and restless so I read my emails, news and blogs on my phone off and on. Finally at 7:30 a.m. he settled down and we all went back to sleep.  Greg texted me at 9:15 a.m. because he couldn't get me on the phone (again?!) and I found out that I had all 3 kittens in bed with me and I was all twisted up like a pretzel again to give them most of the space :)
The third one, Explorer, was on my shoulder :)
  • I tried calling Greg back but my phone wasn't reaching his phone at all. What. the.heck. AT&T?!  We can still text but my pictures weren't going through.  They're visiting Patriot's Point and Fort Sumter this morning. They've already done this, years ago, with me, but they wanted to revisit.

  • My mom emailed me that the AC is working great and that they're very comfortable despite the heat. Yay!

  • So I was supposed to start doing the dishes right away but it was already 9:30 a.m. so I cooked my breakfast, fed the cats, brewed my coffee (not particularly in this order!) and then sat down to watch Law & Order Criminal Intent since the lone episode of the day had started playing.  Again, not great choices but I was hungry.

  • I earned a few SB (forgot that the team challenge actually starts at 11 a.m. this morning) and the Microsoft Rewards credits for the day.

  • I unlocked a BOGO digital coupon for Friendship Dairies products on my Publix app. Their digital coupons are getting better, I think they feel the pressure of Aldi and other competitors down their neck. I like that they have store coupons in the line-up once in a while too, although I'd prefer if they had their brochures' store coupons available digitally as well.  I might need to visit Publix this week and see what deals I can get.  I do need to buy another onion as I'm almost out.

  • MobiSave has really disappointed me. Gone are all their generic rebates. Even though they were only for 10 cents a piece most of the time, it was still money saved. Now it's all "buy this product with a special code printed on it and get it free". Yeah well I have other things to do but to hunt for a specially marked package, especially when they don't specify which stores they partner with in which areas. So I'm not using it anymore. That's a shame.

  • I chatted with my daughter for a little bit. Neither she nor I are very motivated today.  I should have made a deal with her that I'll do the dishes if she studies math :)

  • We have 60% chance of rain through Wednesday so I guess I won't hang the laundry outside today.  We'll see.

  • I saw Susan's and Laura's Day Book posts and, after reading them, I started feeling guilty about being so unmotivated! So I wrote my own and then got to work.

  • I started the laundry. Today I'm washing Greg's bedding so it'll be 3 loads. Two super and one extra large, all on cold/cold. I finished a large bottle of Purex detergent so I rinsed it several times and dumped the soapy water in the washing machine before recycling it.

  • Then I sliced 7 apples that I had put aside for dehydrating and got them started in the dehydrator. One of them was completely brown on the inside so I composted it.

  • I put the 3 huge chicken breasts that I had defrosted in the oven to roast. First, I rubbed "Ten Things Farm Seasoning" between the meat and the skin, to give them extra flavor.

  • While they were cooking, I went to empty out the countertop composting bin into the large one outside. Afterwards, I dipped it into the rain barrel 3 times and watered the compost and then turned the compost with my pitchfork. I really should try to retrieve compost from the bottom of the bin and spread it into my garden plots and bins this fall if I start gardening again.

  • Then I pulled more weeds from the gravel path (the part in the shade today!) and the front of the house, and I watered the begonias under the front porch with rain water. They look horrible :(  The fuschia is completely dead this time. I also weeded a couple of veggie bins in case I want to plant something in there... I think I'm going to have to try to attempt growing my tomato plants directly in the bins outside instead of starting them indoors like I usually do, because the kittens will destroy them.

  • I took some pictures of some surprises in the front yard, kind of a "Second Look" à la Live & Learn :)

It was so hot, the vultures were circling above me!

Those transplanted vincas are not going to make it :(

The bugs are back

Bleeding Hearts about to bloom

And some that did bloom

Another pretty red canna flower

The berm that I edged just 2 weeks ago needs to be edged again. Arrgh.

Basil on the berm

Vincas on the berm

Some impatiens are coming back

I cut the milkweed back, hoping that they might regrow like this one is doing.

Free of weeds, the garden looks a little better... although very anemic!
  • Then I planted the 3 roselle (red sorrel) seeds that I had been given at the seminar on Saturday, in one of my pots. We'll see if they germinate since I didn't score them. She didn't mention scoring her seeds at all and said hers reseed themselves easily as long as there isn't a lot of mulch in the area, so I'm hoping they'll grow "as is". I had collected seeds from my own plants, I need to look for them.

  • The alarm rang to tell me my first load of laundry was done, so I hung it outside on the IKEA racks and put the 2nd load in the washing machine.  It was so, so hot, I couldn't wait to be done to go to RaceTrac and get myself some cold soda refills.  But Greg texted me in the middle of this task, saying that they had gone to Fort Sumter this morning but that it poured. They're visiting the aircraft carrier at Patriot's Point this afternoon.

  • Right as I was done hanging the laundry, my oven alarm came on. It was time to remove the baking tray off the top of the chicken to finish cooking it. I still had about 20 minutes for it to be done so I asked my daughter if she wanted to come to get Sodapalooza refills but she declined. I took one cup back from her so I could get a total of 3 refills for myself.  I was back before the final oven alarm rang.

  • Back home, I made my lunch. I put a little more turkey on my wrap than I should have only because it has started to smell like it was turning and I didn't want to throw it away. The spinach is starting to go bad too, it's a new bag that I just opened but I think that I bought it a week and a half ago? I should put the date on those when I bring them home from the store so I know which bag to open first.

  • The chicken was done so I got it out of the oven and showed my daughter how to make sure it was cooked all the way through by using a meat thermometer. Don't laugh, I know some of you probably taught your kids how to cook but I never did, really.  I always intended to but my kids mostly liked chicken nuggets, mac'n cheese, hot dogs, that sort of thing so they never were interested in cooking anything else even if they do eat everything that I put in front of them because it's my rule.

  • I started to eat lunch while watching part of the first episode of "Quantico" on Netflix. I hope it's good because there are 44 episodes and I need a new show to watch. 

  • I had to switch the laundry again before I was done with lunch, so I did that. I'm only drying a little bit of clothing in the dryer today (a few of Greg's shirts and a couple of bath towels) on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting.  I put his sheet out to dry outside. Some of my other laundry was already dry, weirdly the heavier items were. But the undies and cloth napkins are still a little damp. I'm nervous that it'll start raining before I get it all indoors and I won't notice.

  • While I was outside, I decided to clip the "dead" milkweed. I'm hoping that maybe there'll be some new growth?

  • I also trimmed the dead leaves off the red canna and the dead green onion stalks.

  • My daughter went with her BFF who had to run some errands in Clermont for her family. I couldn't think of anything for my daughter to get me. The BFF is driving today so it's not costing me anything. I also got my change back from the $20 I gave her yesterday for the movies and snacks/dinner.

  • It'd been a while but someone posted a KFR code on Slickdeals for 100 KFR points. I entered it in my Kellogg's Family Rewards account: SUMMERFUNFROMKFR.

  • I hung Greg's comforter to dry outside once it was done being washed. Most of the laundry I had hung is now dry, I just need a few more pairs of socks (and the comforter!) to dry before it starts raining.

  • I checked our Target RedCard account and it looks like the refund was finally credited to our account. Phew! Now I need to schedule my credit card payments.

  • RaceTrac customer service replied to the email I had sent about my coupons disappearing from my app (they had reappeared the day after I emailed them). They just confirmed that all problems should have been resolved. I reopened my app and they added another free coupon for a free any size coffee or fountain/frozen drink and a coupon for a free roller item if I purchase certain drinks.  I guess I'm going to be drinking more crappy RaceTrac coffee for free than I expected :)

  • The kittens have been running around and playing a lot today. Finally at 3:30 pm. Princess is conked out on the living room carpet while Explorer is curled up on the futon next to me :)

  • The sky suddenly got darker at 3:45 p.m. so I went to retrieve the laundry. All of it but the comforter is completely dry. I moved the one rack indoors and decided to let the comforter dry on it in the Cat Room instead of shoving it into the dryer. We'll see how the kittens react to this. It's just a big white tent so they'll probably all go explore and I'll end up with a bunch of dark cat hair all over the clean, white comforter. There's really no room where I could put it unless I want to carry the whole thing across the house and upstairs and set it up in my bedroom.

  • My daughter came home right in time for the 4:30 p.m. downpour to start.  The garden will be happy, I just hope the weeds that I just pulled don't regrow too fast!  It's still pouring at 5:15 p.m. so I'm hoping the rain barrel will be full again since I almost emptied it out this week when watering the garden and the composting bin.

  • I reused a flimsy produce bag to gather the contents of the 4 litter boxes that needed to be disposed of. I had meant to wash all 4 boxes today and I forgot to do it before it rained. Arrgh.

  • I designed a dinner menu for my daughter and myself for this week. Hopefully we can handle the leftovers without incurring any food waste.

  • Tabby Kitten is crying out. He has a wimpy little cry despite being quite the little bully, lol. He's spotted a baby gecko high up on the wall of the Cat Room and he can't get to it so I think he's trying to convince it to come down and "play". Hopefully the gecko has some smarts...

  • I completely forgot about the SB Team Challenge... at 5:40 p.m. my team was in the lead (sorry, Mia!) and  I had contributed...

I earned 50 points by using the shopping portal to visit 10 stores, but I'm far from the 600 points needed to qualify for the Swag-up reward and I may not make it. Oh well.

  • It's so dark because of the rain, it's sapped all my energy!  I haven't accomplished as much as I had hoped to accomplish today, far from.  Ugh. I think I'll fold the laundry now while resuming that 1st episode of "Quantico" that I put on hold several hours ago now!

  • Instead of doing that, I went to check the mail. We received the latest issue of Outdoor Life (free subscription) for Greg and a $5.00 check for the settlement of Blue Diamond Growers Class Action Lawsuit. Oooh, big money, eh? How much do you think the lawyers got?

  •  I tried depositing the check into my checking account via my credit union's app but it wouldn't let me connect. Well, damn it. I tried a couple of times but it would time out each time. I noticed that I still only had one bar on my phone, which is weird because I always have 2 bars when I'm home. So I decided to turn off the cellular data and  just try connecting via wi-fi. Well, as soon as I slid the button for Cellular from "On" to "Off", suddenly I had 2 bars! And then I immediately received 2 texts that I usually receive in the morning, as well as a notification of a voicemail message left this morning at 10 a.m.!  It was my eye doctor's office to tell me my glasses were in. I'll need to call them tomorrow to make an appointment.  So I deposited the check but I was wondering why it said that I had any bars at all since I had turned OFF the cellular connection?  So I checked the settings again and the cellular button was still in the "ON" position, and now I have 2 bars. Weird, uh?  Hopefully I'll be able to call Greg tonight.

  • As I was  checking the settings, one setting was for "usage" and it showed that I had used over 7G of data for "this period". Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?  We have a 2G plan with rollover that Youngest Son and I share and I'm almost always home on WiFi and my son has been mostly at home on Wifi as well.  So I logged into our AT&T account and of course they've changed their website and, of course, now there's less info on the main screen (actually I had to zoom out because at 100% zoom, it looked like I was zoomed in at 200%!) and I have to click all over the place to find the information about usage, which before used to be super easy to access from the main screen.  I want to fire every single website designer employer in this country these days. All the redesigns totally suck. Anyhoo, I finally found the link to check my usage and we have 8 days left in the period and we've used... wait for it... 0.2G of data. So I don't know why my phone thinks I've use 7+G, it's not like I use my phone very often anyway.  But phew, no overage fees for us and now my phone should be working fine. I'll have to remember the trick of turning off the cellular connection in the future, it seems that it cleared some partition of memory somewhere on the phone...  I'm going to try to call Greg... and it's dialing!  Finally!

  • So I got to talk to Greg and Youngest Son a little bit but they were driving and they had me on speaker phone so we agreed they would call me back later on when they had found a hotel (he didn't make a reservation).  Princess is sitting next to me, licking my biceps. She must like the saltiness. It was so hot when I was outside earlier that sweat was pouring into my eyes every time I bent down to pick up a weed. I ought to take a shower tonight before going to bed.

  • New Kitty came looking for Youngest Son so I forced her to cuddle with me and after a couple of minutes of scratching her chin and ears, she was all over me. But man, she sheds a ton.  I need to brush her for a while this week. I texted pictures of the cats to Youngest Son, who is missing them.

Mean Kitty looks like she made herself a little apartment in the donation box. She has her fish bowl to keep her food fresh, a little soup container to take it to "work" with her, and even a plant!

  • For dinner, I made 2 servings of couscous, my daughter and I split the rest of the asparagus that I had cooked last night and we each had some of the chicken that I had roasted this morning. I put the remainder in the fridge.

  • It's 8:15 p.m. and I've been putting it off long enough: I'm going to go do the dishes, darn it.

  • It took me an hour and then I took the trash bin down to the curb so I won't forget to do it tomorrow morning.

  • Greg called me as I was finishing the chores so that was good timing :)  They had a good time today and picked a hotel that is relatively low cost (less than $80) but includes a continental breakfast in the morning.  Woohoo!

  • 3 Sodapalooza refills for myself, from RaceTrac
  • RaceTrac gave me another free app coupon for a free any size drink or coffee
  • $5 from a class action lawsuit settlement

  • I did sleep about 6 hours total.
  • My weight is a little down from what it was on Saturday but still higher than I had hoped. I need to get back to my routine darn it.
  • Breakfast was an egg white omelet with onion, zucchini and spinach, 1/4 of a papaya and an English muffin with sugar free strawberry spread.
  • Lunch was a turkey spinach wrap, a lettuce/cucumber salad with light balsamic vinaigrette, and 12 cherries.
  • Mid afternoon snack was a strawberry shake, 12 reduced fat thin wheat crackers, and then later on a piece of light string cheese because I was still hungry.
  • Dinner was some roasted chicken breast, steamed asparagus and a cup of cooked couscous with 1 tsp of butter.  I had a yogurt later on.

To Do List
  • Call eye doctor to set up appointment on Wednesday (Tuesday)
  • Plan today's food intake DONE
  • Exercise
  • Record today's food intake into MFP 
  • Empty dishwasher DONE
  • Vacuum water at bottom of dishwasher DONE
  • Clean inside of dishwasher DONE
  • Replace vinegar at bottom of dishwasher DONE
  • Do the dishes DONE
  • Do the laundry DONE
  • Wash Greg's bedding DONE
  • Hang laundry to dry DONE
  • Fold the laundry
  • Put the laundry away
  • Make dinner menu for the week DONE
  • Roast chicken breasts (Monday morning) DONE
  • File coupons
  • Explore Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services webpage and get started on process 
  • Create Greg's online Social Security Account (with him) and update my documents
  • Continue checking Target's Redcard account to see if they credited my refund.  - DONE
  • Schedule all credit card payments
  • Post trip pictures on French blog
  • Finish backing up all pictures to my external drive (when Greg and our son are on their camping trip)
  • Figure out where I was in the process of backing up my external drive!
  • Make hummingbird nectar
  • Trim bushes in front of the house 
  • Transplant ferns from bin into front yard 
  • Transplant all basil seedlings from berm and patio to the empty garden beds 
  • Pull weeds from berm DONE
  • Pull weeds from gravel path DONE
  • Pull weeds from garden mulch area DONE
  • Pull weeds from planter near house/hose
  • Pull weeds from rose planter
  • Pull weeds from front planters and path DONE
  • Lay down more cardboard on top of mulch
  • Mulch the berm again (next week)
  • Decide what to plant in the garden this fall and where
  • Water potted begonia DONE
  • Clean all litter boxes DONE
  • Wash all the litter boxes
  • Feed all cats in the morning DONE
  • Feed all cats in the evening DONE
  • Dust Cat Room and Living Room
  • Vacuum downstairs
  • Vacuum upstairs
  • Vacuum both staircases
  • Mend some items from the mending basket
  • Take Youngest Son driving (on hold until he comes back)
  • Vacuum fridge's coils
  • Explore Will and Power of Attorney forms on LegalZoom and discuss with Greg
  • Find a good picture of our cats and order bag from Shutterfly for Daughter with freebie code
  • Inventory what batteries we need for hurricane season
  • Finish the 2014 Powerpoint document for Daughter
  • Add clip art to all 2012, 2013 and 2014 pages that I created and print them
  • Declutter this past year's school files and prep new files for this coming year
  • Tape the Strength Training videos and put on dedicated SD card (once the large TV is reconnected)
  • Put bleach in furnace drain line for maintenance
  • Pour Drano down kitchen sink for maintenance (need to buy some first!)
  • Clean exercise room vent
  • Vacuum kitchen vents
  • Fix kitchen sliding drawer
  • Install window shades in my bedroom
  • Wash bathroom and hall ceiling, door jamb 
  • Write letter to Target CEO (once refund has been issued)
  • Call SunTrust and Chase re: bonds
  • Reconcile FSA records to make sure we're not missing money in the account
  • Add Osmocote plant food to hibiscus and roses
  • Check on beans and papaya seeds (daily) and water as needed  - DONE
  • Order rain barrel from Home Depot
  • Dehydrate apples DONE
  • Declutter the old coffee table IN PROGRESS


  1. Busy week for me- going away for a few days is hazardous LOL and now DD and GD are coming tomorrow. Help- I need to grocery shop and clean their bedrooms. Oh well, DD won't mind and her husband is staying in SF. Do you have Netflix? My kids gave me their PW so I occasionally use it- Criminal
    Mind's new season is on and I always liked that show. Quantico?? Not so much- I pay for Hulu and watched it for a few shows there. My legs are still kind of sore from all the walking in NYC so I'm taking it easy- just walking 20 minutes in the morning. Food? Fridge is pretty bare for me. I figure I'll take DD to the store and she can by what she wants- I know GD is not a big eater but she does like yogurt. She was 3 in May. So is it quiet at your house minus kittens since your hub and son are gone? That's a nice bonding for the two of them. I can't remember where DD lived in Gainesville- a couple of big complexes with 3 bedrooms. It was nice they all had their own baths and there were laundry facilities. She had a car at school though but didn't do a lot of driving.

    1. Aww, you're going to have so much fun with your little grand daughter! We do have Netflix. I confess that I really don't like Criminal Minds but I realize that I'm in a very small minority apparently :) I still haven't watched more than the first 20 minutes of Quantico. I like conspiracies type of shows usually (really liked the first season of "Homeland" but didn't like the subsequent seasons at all (well, I quit watching it after season 3, I think) so I was hoping it would be a good one. We'll see.

      My house is always quiet, that's the way we like it :) Youngest Son is usually on his computer and not much of a talker, and Greg is at work most day or fishing in his kayak or playing games on his PC with his headphones on, so he doesn't make much noise either! However I do appreciate the "freedom" of not having to have dinner on the table at 7 p.m. My daughter and I eat when we're hungry and since it's just the two of us, I don't have to really cook either, you know? If it was just me, I'd probably have sandwiches for every meal on paper plates, LOL.

      There are so many more apartment complexes in Gainesville than when my ex and I were thinking about moving there back in the early 90s! And back then they were the old decrepit ones but now they really have nice ones. The one she picked looks nice enough although quite small on the inside from the pictures the one roommate who is already there sent. But her rent will be $499 a month, which isn't bad.

  2. You got so much accomplished. Look at your list and see for yourself. Your weight is still going down. You are eating very healthy food portions. You are spending quality time with your daughter. And you got a big lawsuit settlement. Did you stop writing out your list of gratitudes?

    1. I'm grateful that you interrupted your cabbage shredding to comment on my blog posts and leave me such sweet comments :) And I laughed out loud at your big lawsuit settlement comment, hahahaha.

  3. My comments are not going through. :(

    This is the comment I tried to post on your Day Book post, twice:

    Aargh! Lost my comment! I was saying I hoped you accomplished all what you wanted to do, although a day relaxing at home sounded good to me! And that I was glad your a/c was working because the combination of heat and humidity is the worst. Hope your week is off to a good start. Bless.

    Sounds like you accomplished a lot on Monday! Love the garden pictures and the kitty pictures, of course. Love Mean Kitty's new apartment! Hope the kittens let your comforter dry without getting too much fur on it! Hope you are having a nice day, today (and that this comment will go through!) Bless.

    1. Awww, I'm sorry Bless! Maybe the Blogger wardens are on to you enjoying the CAPCHA game so much! I didn't see any other comment from you today so there must definitely be a bug.

      Thanks for persevering! Yes the comforter was dry and cat hair-free for the most part this morning, although I didn't look at it too closely, I was just happy they didn't send it crashign to the ground again.

      I hope you had a less frustrating day after you submitted this comment, Bless! I'm very late commenting on your blog as well, I'll try to do that tomorrow afternoon as I'm fading fast right now :)

  4. I've been to that aircraft carrier at Patriot's Point...would you believe that the one thing I remember the most about it (other than the cramped quarters) was a cookie recipe that was posted in the kitchen. The recipe was for like 1,000 cookies and it just made me laugh at the insane quantities of all the ingredients.

    I need a new show to watch... <-- We just started watching the show "Salvation" (on CBS and Amazon Prime) and really like it. Of course, your mileage might vary...but that's what we recently came across when we finished "Grace and Frankie" (which you turned me on to).

    1. I totally remember looking at that cookie recipe and the quantities needed and laughing! I would have never thought that they actually were baking the cookies from scratch on the ship, lol.

      I never did watch more than a couple of episodes of "Grace and Frankie"'s 3rd season... I don't even know why? I need to finish watching it! I had never heard of "Salvation" but I just added it to my WatchList... I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation.


Anything you'd like to add? Share away!