Monday, July 3, 2017

Day Book: Monday 7/3/17



Outside my window... I can't tell because Greg is working from home and has left the curtains closed so he doesn't get a glare on his laptop :( I could walk around the house to check out the other windows but I'm being lazy.  It's 9:36 a.m., the sun is up, it looks like it's sunny outside, some neighbors are mowing their lawn or doing something else with heavy machinery. It'll probably rain later on as it's been raining every afternoon.

I am thinking... that I don't feel like celebrating the 4th of July at all this year.

I am thankful for... sleeping in this morning :) I got up at 9 a.m. and only because the eye doctor's assistant called me to confirm my appointment on Wednesday.

From the learning rooms... Youngest Son is still plugging away on his French class. His teacher emailed me a couple of days ago and was very complimentary.  He's completed his AP World History Summer Project and is about 4/5th done with his Language Arts Honors Summer Reading Project.  Daughter is still reviewing Calculus so she can retake the math placement test for UF and be allowed to register for Calculus, the class she really needs.

From the kitchen... It's no surprise that piles of dishes are waiting for me... yes, I'll wash them today!  I haven't made a dinner menu for the week so I have no idea of what to cook for dinner. I'm sure it'll come to me!

I am wearing... I'm still in my PJs, a set of soft purple shorts + Tshirt that I had bought at Aldi recently.  They're really comfy.

I am creating... I can't think of anything that I'm actually being creative with right now.

I am going... to the library to return my book that's due (I did try to finish it yesterday but I just couldn't manage to make myself care about how it ended so I gave up) and I suppose to RaceTrac to get refills.

I am reading... I need to go through "The Simple Path to Wealth" again and highlight the paragraphs that I really want to keep in mind. Then I need to restart and finish "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing". Fun, fun, fun.

I am hoping... that the neighbors will be reasonable with their fireworks, although one house has been firing them since Friday night already.  I'm highly sensitive to noise and of course the cats don't like that either.

I am hearing... the AC and some muffled yard work noises.

Around the house... Greg has a conference call at 10 a.m. but it should be a short work day for him today. He said he was going to work on the front porch gutters some more. The kids are still in bed. The cats are either sleeping or playing with their cat toys.

One of my favorite things... the garden hose reels that I put in the backyard. It's so nice not to have a tangle of hoses on the ground anymore and not to have to untangle them each time I want to water something.

A few plans for the rest of the week... Aside from a couple of errands today, I'll stay home today and tomorrow. We live 1/2 a mile from where the fireworks are shot so we can see them from our front lawn.  Greg leaves for a short trip to Vancouver on Wednesday but returns really early on Saturday morning. I have an eye doctor appointment and I'll go shopping after that. The next day I'm having breakfast with a friend. No plans for the weekend as of yet.

Here's the picture I'm sharing...

Princess doesn't like to be held so she always escapes to our shoulders and makes herself comfy there. However, you have to bend forward a little otherwise she digs in with her claws!  My daughter is demonstrating.

Have a good week!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you got to sleep in, finally! Did Explorer leave you alone then? Princess sitting across your daughter's shoulders is too funny!

    Sounds like you've a fairly laid-back day planned. Lucky you to be able to see fireworks from your house! Fireworks are supposedly illegal in my city, but, you wouldn't know that from the amount of fireworks people have been setting off for the past week or so! It's a bit scary since everything is so dry - it would be so easy to set off another fire! That's interesting that you don't feel like celebrating the 4th, Nathalie, because, to be quite honest, neither do I! Usually, I am the first on my block to fly the flag and I decorate the house with red/white/blue wreaths and stuff. This year, it's like someone deflated my balloon! I shouldn't say too much, though, should I? I'll be told to "go home" if I don't like it here! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started feeling guilty about not doing anything for the 4th after I read a couple of blogs and then heard that my daughter was going to a cookout at her BFF's and didn't even think to mention it because she figured we weren't doing anything. I mean, usually we just spend the day at home and make hot dogs. Greg and I watch "1776" and then we invite the kids to watch the fireworks in the front yard but they don't care about fireworks anymore. Still... so then Greg and I went shopping for food stuff, I'm going to make everyone's favorite dessert in the morning, and I even put up a little bit of decorations. But, between you and me, I don't feel like "celebrating", like you and for the same reasons.

      I **think** Explorer left me alone? I know he cuddled a little at some point but I went right bad to sleep and there were no cats with me when I woke up!

      Delete
  2. Wow Princess has grown. I remember when she was little and called Kitty! I hope 4th July is a quiet one for you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! The kittens are almost fully grown now, at 10 months. She's the smallest of the three, if you can believe it! It seems so long ago that they were tiny little things, and I miss that stage so much. But they're loveable cats now, and they make us laugh a lot!

      Delete
  3. Princess has that typical cat look of, "I'm not doing anything and you can stop looking now." I love her perch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so true! The universal look of cats :)

      Delete
  4. I am imagining you and Greg sitting on your porch with cocktails in hand, watching the fireworks from the comfort of your own house.....no traffic jams, no looking for a parking space that isn't a mile from where you need to stand to get a good view, and no walking through crowds of people. Must be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually sat on our patio chairs on our front lawn at the top of the slight hill, but apart from that, that's exactly how it was and yes... not having to drive anywhere and fight traffic and find a parking spot on that day is pretty darn great. Even though I have to get annoyed at all the people parking on our tiny, narrow street and the rest of them barreling down the even tinier street down, without any regard for any kid or pet that might come darting in between the cars!

      Delete
  5. Lucky you get to see fireworks from your house. For us, it would involve going downtown, which we did last year. But the weather was iffy this year, plus we were kind of lazy. We just hung out at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with being lazy on that day, IMO. If we couldn't see them from the front yard, we would never drive anywhere to watch them. I've been spoiled by years of being able to watch the awesome (and now defunct, I think?) IllumiNations show at Epcot for free!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!