Wednesday is my main shopping day, however this summer my schedule is all kinds of messed up and I find myself shopping on various days. I don't like it as I end up buying too much stuff! My official 2017 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) although this week it's only my daughter and myself at home. I had said I wasn't going to shop at all this week as I was hoping to save the money to counter our eating out expenses, but here I am :( I did get a couple of freebies at Walmart with my Swagbucks gift card, and bought several items at Save a Lot with a prepaid gift card that came out of my budget last year so I'm not deducting their value from this year's budget.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100
Total OOP: $43.76
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $43.76
Money left in budget: $56.24
Money left in budget for the month ($100 = 5 weeks @ $100): $192.47
Baking Supplies: $6.99 OOP
- There are several "diabetic friendly" baking recipes that I wanted to try and that included psyllium husk so I bought a jar at Trader Joe's. The only size available was the large size so I need to get baking!
- 1 large jar psyllium husks (Trader Joe's) @ $6.99
Beverages: $1.59 OOP
- 1 container of sugar free French Vanilla powdered creamer (Aldi), on sale at $1.59
Breads: $2.49 OOP
- Pixel had recommended those to me several months ago so I had them on my Trader Joe's wishlist when we stopped in. They are indeed as good as she claimed, and my daughter and I love them... oh that's dangerous!
- 6-ct pretzel bagels (Trader Joe's) @ $2.49
- none needed
Dairy: $4.67 OOP
- As I said before, I really like the UHT whipping cream cartons from Trader Joe's. I use them as cream, heavy cream, whipping cream... in desserts, soups, recipes... These have a sell-by date of November so I only bought 2. I'll be back in Gainesville in September so I might buy more at this time, as I tend to make a lot of butternut squash soup in the winter.
- (2) 8 oz containers of UHT whipping cream (Trader Joe's) @ $1.29 each = $2.58
- 1/2 gallon 2% milk (Aldi) @ $2.09
- 8 oz Sargento reduced fat sharp Cheddar (Walmart) @ $2.57 but free since I paid with SB gift card.
- Since I don't go to Trader Joe's very often, I stocked up on salsa verde for Greg, and decided to try the chicken bouillon liquid envelopes to see if it might be a good trade off for Better Than Bouillon. Now I wish I had just left it on the shelf, since I can get the Better Than Bouillon for free with Swagbucks gift cards at Walmart!
- Aldi still didn't have the Fit & Active Light Mayo so I grabbed the plain generic jar of light mayo to have a spare in the pantry. However, then I realized that I had 2 tubes of Light Mayo with Greek Yogurt in the pantry already! Grrr. I don't know why I didn't see them until today.
- Usually Aldi has the grape jelly on sale for "Back To School", which is coming up soon, so I hope they'll have it back in stock and then I'm going to stock up for the whole school year! In the meantime, I bought a jar from Save A Lot. I should have just gotten it from Walmart and gotten it for free, though.
- 2 jars salsa verde (Trader Joe's) @ $1.99 each = $3.98
- 1 12-ct container low sodium chicken broth envelopes (Trader Joe's) @ $3.99
- 1 jar light mayonnaise (Aldi) @ $1.89
- 1 32-oz jar grape jelly (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
- 1 jar Smuckers sugar free apricot spread (Walmart) @ $2.78 but FREE since I paid with SB gift card and I received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
- What can I say? Buying produce makes me happy :) My daughter loves broccoli so I'll steam some for dinner. I use the zucchini, onion and spinach in my morning omelets. The clementines are juicy but a little bland. I got 2 more packages of strawberries but I think I'll freeze them since I still have 3 packages that I bought on Sunday!
- 2.14 lbs grapes (Save A Lot) on sale at $0.88/lb = $1.88 but "FREE" (i.e. no money OOP today) since I paid with a Visa gift card that I had bought from my son last year.
- 0.68 lb onion (Save A Lot) @ $0.99/lb = $0.67 but "FREE" (i.e. no money OOP today) since I paid with a Visa gift card that I had bought from my son last year.
- 1 bag broccoli crowns (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 2 lbs mandarins (Aldi), on sale @ $2.49
- 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.49
- 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
- 2 lbs strawberries (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29 each = $2.58
- 24 oz zucchini (Aldi) @ $1.49
- None needed
- At 120 calories for 3 macaroons, I think I have found my new favorite snack. Those are de-li-cious! I've already told my daughter that next time I'm at Trader Joe's, I'm going to buy several boxes of it. It takes me 90 minutes to drive back from Gainesville, and by the time I'm home, they're perfectly defrosted (but still a little cold in the middle) and taste out of this world. The fig ones are so so good.
- The chocolate cat cookies are a treat for Youngest Son :)
- 1 12-ct box of frozen macaroons (Trader Joe's) @ $4.99
- 1 box chocolate cat cookies (Trader Joe's) @ $2.99
So far this year, I have spent:
January - $292.05
February - $248.17
March - $196.87
April - $417.07
May - $319.07
June - $292.90
July so far... $307.53
July so far... $307.53
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)