Sunday, July 9, 2017

It Rained! ~ Sunday 7/9/17

Yeah, only not so much since we did pay for a carwash before
it rained today!

TO DO LIST:
  • Plan my food intake for the day DONE
  • Exercise 
  • Record today's food intake into MFP DONE
  • Do the dishes 
  • Make banana chocolate chip muffins
  • Explore Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services webpage and get started on process 
  • Create Greg's online Social Security Account (with him) and update my documents
  • Continue checking Target's Redcard account to see if they credited my refund. Then schedule payment (due 8/2) 
  • Post trip pictures on French blog
  • Finish backing up all pictures to my external drive (when Greg and our son are on their camping trip)
  • Figure out where I was in the process of backing up my external drive!
  • Make hummingbird nectar
  • Transplant all seedlings from berm and patio to the empty garden beds
  • Decide what to plant in the garden this fall
  • Print new coupons DONE
  • Clip new coupons DONE
  • Put new coupons away in organizer DONE
  • Upload new digital coupons DONE
  • Unlock new digital rebates DONE
  • Clean upstairs litterbox 
  • Mend some items from the mending basket
  • Take Youngest Son driving
  • Vacuum fridge's coils
  • Explore Will and Power of Attorney forms on LegalZoom and discuss with Greg
  • Find a good picture of our cats and order bag from Shutterfly for Daughter with freebie code
  • Inventory what batteries we need for hurricane season
  • Finish the 2014 Powerpoint document for Daughter
  • Add clip art to all 2012, 2013 and 2014 pages that I created and print them
  • Declutter this past year's school files and prep new files for this coming year
  • Check if there is any money in Daughter's school lunch account and if so, request that it'd be transferred to Youngest Son's
  • Tape the Strength Training videos and put on dedicated SD card
  • Put bleach in furnace drain line for maintenance
  • Clean the inside of the dishwasher
  • Write letter to Target CEO
  • Make dinner menu for next week IN PROGRESS
  • Freeze strawberries
  • Freeze half the milk
  • Work on Shopping List STILL IN PROGRESS
  • Water plants (front and back, near shed) IT POURED!!!!
  • Make copy of National Merit Scholarship letter and put in Daughter's file DONE
  • Declutter the old coffee table IN PROGRESS
SUCCESSES AND FAILURES

  • Last night I was playing around with Feedburner when I noticed that I seemed to have a lot more email subscribers than my blog warrants. I mean, it showed that I had about 182 email subscribers and, my friends, let me tell you: there is no way.  So I looked a little more into it and the vast majority of those "subscribers" all had outlook email addresses, seemingly hispanic names or a combination of hispanic terms in their user name and ALL had subscribed to my blog from June 2 through this week.  So I deleted them all. Unfortunately, I had to delete them one by one and every time I had to confirm that I was deleting them and I got busy watching something on TV at the same time... so I think I might have deleted one or two legitimate  subscribers by mistake and I can't undo it. OOPs.  So, if you used to get my blog via email and don't get it anymore, please re-subscribe and sorry about that.  I wonder why all those fake subscribers were signed up but it can't be good. If it keeps on happening, I might need to close the email subscriptions option altogether, which I don't want to do because there are several of you subscribed via email.  But please understand that if I do cancel the subscriptions (and I'll give a heads-up) it's because I suspect something nefarious is really afoot. I need to investigate to see if anyone else has reported the same problem and a possible cause. I just hope it's not one of those massive SPAM things or even worse.  Update: well, I found at least one person posting on the Feedburner forums complaining about the very same thing today. It doesn't look like anyone "official" ever replies to those forum posts though, so I'm thinking we're on our own...  Update: I just checked Feedburner again and 5 new subscribers with the weird Outlook addresses had "subscribed via email" overnight again!  So I deleted them again.  Update at 8 p.m.: I had another 5 of those fake followers. This is starting to get on my nerves.

  • Sigh... and the saga with the TV continues.  Are you sick of hearing about my First World TV problem? Because I'm sure tired of dealing with it and writing about it, LOL! So Greg and I had decided that we should try plugging in the "old" TV one more time to make sure that it wasn't coming back on for sure before ordering a new one on Amazon Prime Day.  So late last night I did just that... pushed the power button on the TV... and it came on!  Whaaaaaat?!  Happy dance!  However the remote is still not working properly (same buttons aren't working but changing channels and other buttons work fine).  So we decided to go ahead and place a new Amazon order for a replacement remote, because paying $15 for a remote, even if it doesn't work, is better than spending over $200-$300 for a new TV, especially if the TV itself does seem to work after all...  I picked a different supplier for the remote. The picture of it looks the same as ours without the "Philips" brand name on it. They only have 9 reviews but all of them state the remote works great and several are "verified" purchases. It was actually about $10 less than the other one I had ordered and cancelled, mostly because this supplier doesn't offer express shipping. So we'll see.  I'll be mad if it ends up not fixing our problems and we miss Amazon Prime Day sales (which we will), but it's the frugal and reasonable thing to do.  In the meantime, we have the small TV.

  • Before going to bed, I remembered that my daughter was gone for the weekend so I turned down the AC in that part of the house (from 73F to 75F) and will have to remember to put it back to 73F several hours before she returns tomorrow night so her room isn't so stifling hot.  Make no mistake, even with the AC on her room is still stifling hot since there is NO insulation (and no way to add any) between the roof and the ceiling of the room, nor any on any of the walls.  Her windows are way too small (very tiny windows, room was not built up to code and is now grand-fathered in) for a window AC unit but now that I am aware that portable units exist, I'm thinking I might be able to make one of those work since the only thing that would need to hang out the window would be the air return hose and water drain line.  We're not sure that the room will actually be used regularly after she goes to college (our son doesn't want to move in there) so I'm holding off buying the portable AC unit.  Of course, if the room was cooler, perhaps it would get used more!  It's the largest bedroom in the house so it's a shame that it will sit empty.

  • I couldn't get to sleep last night, I went to bed at 1:30 a.m. and put on an episode of "Forensic Files" on my Kindle Fire to lull me to sleep, which always works.  And then I slept until 8:30 a.m. and I only got up because Explorer came to inquire as to why I wasn't up yet and was insistent on waking me up.  I checked the backyard and saw (out the window) that Greg's kayak was missing so I did go fishing after all and will be gone all morning.  Good for him. I should go outside and water the garden but a big part of me is hoping the promised 65% chance of rain will come true, although the sky is blue and the sun is shining bright so it'll probably bypass us again. Sigh.

  • I brewed my coffee and had a bowl of Cheerios with half a cup of 2% milk and a banana for breakfast.  Good news, bad news on the weight side of things: I weighed myself and I'm still at 213 lbs, which means that my haphazard diet from the last few days and lack of exercise this whole week didn't set me back, but also that I didn't lose any weight :( Yep, time to get much better with my routine and track my liquid intake much more closely again!

  • I earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits (so close to getting a $5 gift card!) and a couple of Swagbucks. Once again today I got a 21 SB Search Award.  Greg reported last night that he's been able to redeem $45 in Microsoft Xbox store gift cards over the past few weeks, which he is stockpiling to get himself a new Xbox One game  for free shortly. Go, honey!

  • Today is Law & Order: Criminal Intent marathon day on ION TV, woohoo!  I've seen all the episodes at least once, but it's good background noise and once in a while I actually watch it, lol.  I'm getting used to the smaller TV, the only things that really annoy me is that I can't read any of the display text on the screen and there doesn't seem a way to program the remote to skip over the OTA channels that I don't want in my line-up.  

  • I uploaded new CVS store coupons to my app and new digital manufacturer coupons to my Publix app.

  • I printed some coupons via Swagbucks, Smartsource and Redplum.  I don't know why I bother since I use very few coupons these days, but with those Publix BOGO deals, you "never know". So I just keep on printing coupons for items I might buy.
Tabby Kitten got all excited about the bits of paper left after I clipped the coupons :)
  • I unlocked new SavingStar offers.
Princess was fascinated!
  • I went to unlock new Ibotta offers and was greeted by a message that if I shop on Amazon via Ibotta, I could get additional cash back this week (from 3% back to 5% back) on some categories. Pet Supplies are included without any restrictions so I ordered some cardboard scratcher refills for a little over $17 after tax for a pack of 3. I'll get 5% back on Ibotta and 5% back in Amazon Rewards since I paid with my Amazon Visa Rewards card.  We go through a lot of scratchers here!  Uh oh, suddenly I remembered that Petco is having a huge online sale with free shipping until midday Tuesday so I rushed to check their price on the scratchers... Phew, Amazon was indeed cheaper (no surprise there).

  • Despite having had a bowl of generic Cheerios and a banana for breakfast, I was starving by 1 p.m. I need to go back to having my egg white omelet in the mornings!

  • I decided to run to RaceTrac (well, drive!) to get Sodapalooza refills for Youngest Son and myself. I also redeemed a Sodapalooza receipt for a free Monterey Chicken grill item for Youngest Son's lunch. I put it on a bun and also grabbed some ketchup and mayo packets that I'll keep for lunches that I pack for Greg.  


  • On my way home I called Greg to make sure he was still alive!  He was on his way home, having stopped to get more Sodapalooza refills for himself.  He caught 4 fish this morning (bass), but they were too small to keep so he released them.  The ice packs worked very well, they kept his drinks nice and cool and would have kept the fish cool too :)

  • Back home, I made my usual lunch.  Greg came home and I suggested he ate my daughter's Olive Garden leftovers since she won't be back until tomorrow night. It was chicken Alfredo and there was quite a bit of it left.


  • Greg and our son gathered their camping stuff in preparation for their upcoming trip. I put together their cooking supplies in a bin.

  • Greg wanted to go to Clermont to get his truck washed so he asked if we had any errands to run there... but really because he wanted to me come along. Awww!  So I made him come with me to Aldi and CVS so I could get my grocery shopping done early since I'll be spending the day in Mount Dora with my daughter on Wednesday.  So we...
    • Stopped by RaceTrac to get 3 more Sodapalooza refills.
    • Went to Aldi where I bought a minimal amount of groceries (since the boys will both be gone next week) but also food for their camping trip. I spent:
      • $12.90 in non-food items
      • $20.43 in groceries
      • $33.00 in food for their trip (which will be accounted for in our travel budget)
      • I just realized that the cherries were cheaper today than on Wednesday by 20 cents (?!) and the strawberries... were only $0.49 a pound!  It must be because they look slightly past their prime so I might need to freeze them. I'll deal with that tomorrow.
      • Greg was hungry so I got a package of chocolate chip mini muffins that had a $1.00 off sticker on them.  More frugal than getting a shake at Steak'n Shake, even with a coupon, and most of them went to our son for his snacks over the next couple of days.  I abstained :)
      • I paid for the $66.33 with Amex for 3% back in Rewards.


    • Went to CVS where I did 2 separate orders:
      • Order #1 (non-foods):
        • I thought I'd stock up on Purex to get the ECB offer, but I found bottles of detergent at home that I forgot I had so I left the Purex at the store.
        • I bought (4) Renuzit cones on sale at $0.88, redeemed a $1.10/4 printable coupon and will also receive $1.10 back from SavingStar, making my eventual cost $1.56 for 4 cones or $0.39 per cone, whoohoo!
        • And I bought a tube of Arm & Hammer Radiant toothpaste, on sale for $3.99 and redeemed a $3.99 coupon that I had printed from the CVS coupon site this morning!  I had actually printed two coupons but I didn't want to be hogging all the toothpaste so I only redeemed one today. If I go later on and they still have some, I'll get a 2nd tube.
        • The cashier applied a $1 ECB that was saved to my order without asking me if it was OK.  I would have rather applied it to my grocery order, but he couldn't take it off without voiding the whole transaction, so I sighed and said "OK". It was my $1 in Quarterly ECBs.  My total was $1.88 and I paid with Amazon Visa for 2% back in Rewards.

      • Order #2 (groceries):
        • I bought 3 boxes of Kellogg's Mini Wheats, on sale at $2.49 each and redeemed (3) $1.00/1 printable coupons that I had ordered from Kellogg's Family Rewards.
        • I also bought a gallon of Dairy Pure whole milk, on sale for $2.99. I plan on freezing half of it. I redeemed a $0.55/1 coupon that I had gotten in an insert from the library.
        • I redeemed a $1.00 ECB that I had gotten in a mailer
        • And then the cashier announced that I had another $1 ECB in my account and asked if I wanted to use it (?!?) so I said yes. When I looked at my receipt, it also showed that it was the $1.00 in Quarterly ECBs so I think their register messed up but oh well for them, I'm not going back!
        • So my OOP was $4.91 and I paid with the CVS gift card that I earned via our Amex Rewards program so it was all free to me. Plus, I received $3.00 back in ECBs for having bought the cereal. Woohoo!

    • Then we went to Mister Wash, where I promptly found $0.07 laying around the spot where we parked to vacuum the truck. Yay!  We paid $6.00 for a carwash. Of course, the sky got really dark on the way home and now there's thunder and lightning and it's drizzling. I really hope it pours, even if that means we wasted $6:)
  • Yay, it's REALLY pouring now, at 5:40 p.m.!!!  I'm glad I didn't water the garden earlier! I'm being the Rain Whisperer and trying to tell it to move over to the Los Angeles area because my friend Bless's garden needs some too!

  • I submitted my receipts for a $0.25 rebate from Ibotta (any item), $0.25 from Checkout 51 (loaf of bread) and $1.10 from SavingStar (Renuzit).


  • I'll also earn KFR points automatically via my ExtraCare card for my Kellogg's cereal purchase.

  • Ugh, when my alarm rang that it was time to cook dinner at 6:30 pm., I really didn't feel like cooking!  It's been dark in the house for an hour because of the rain, and that completely sapped any energy that I might have had.  So I offered to go get the free pizza that I earned from Domino's for the men and I would just scrunge in the fridge for myself. But Greg wanted protein, not "cheesy dough!" so he suggested McDonald's. Fine, I have a digital coupon for a BOGO large sandwiches in my app. But I wanted him to come with me. He didn't want to go out in the rain so I suggested he and Youngest Son make themselves sandwiches.  They ended up heating up the 2 cans of beef stew that I had just bought for their camping trip!  As for me, I had the leftover piece of salmon from last night, with the rest of the steamed veggies.   We all elected to eat in front of our respective computers, lol.  I'm ready to go to bed!  I might just lie down on the couch and veg in front of L&O: CI for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow morning, I need to get up with Greg and get back in a more reasonable routine.

  • Then I decided to bake the chicken breasts that I bought on Wednesday anyway. I rubbed some "Ten Things Farm" seasoning in between the skin and the breasts (which are humongous!) and put them in the oven. I'll use the cooked chicken meat in dishes this week, I guess.

  • I watched a couple of episodes of "Bob's Burgers" on Fox. I'd love to lie down on the couch but Princess is sleeping very deeply and comfortable on the pillows next to me. The other futon isn't as comfortable as this one so that's not really an option either.  I feel super tired!  I also felt very hungry right after dinner (I'm not sure what's going on today!) so I brewed some decaf coffee, which helps my hunger pans.

FREEBIES
  • 6 Sodapalooza refills for Greg (RaceTrac)
  • 2 Sodapalooza refills for me and 1 for Youngest Son (RaceTrac)
  • A Monterey Chicken hot grill roll with a Sodapalooza coupon (RaceTrac)
  • A tube of Arm & Hammer Radiant toothpaste from CVS, after sale and coupon from CVS website
I hope you had a nice weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes, please send me the rain! LOL. We had a bit of a cloud cover this morning, but nothing in terms of precipitation! Maybe I should take my car for a wash? Not that there is anything close to a $6 car wash, in these parts!

    Tabby Kitten looks so happy with the paper clippings and Princess definitely looks fascinated!

    So what are the guys going to eat on their camping trip if they ate their cans of beef stew at home, before they went on their trip? Or will you have more time to buy them replacement cans before they leave? Hope they have a wonderful trip.

    I've had a bit too warm for comfort weekend. Thank goodness for the a/c in the room!

    I hope you are able to get back to your routine, next week, and things will be easier for you. Enjoy your Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's been so hot in your area! Maybe go outside with your hose and pretend to wash your car? or water your garden, that very often seems to do the trick for me. I'll tell you that I was super happy that it DID rain because the black clouds we kept seeing didn't look like they were moving towards us at all and I was worried the rain would skirt us AGAIN.

      The guys have several cans of other foods (ravioli, soups, tuna) for their trip but Greg had asked me to only pick up 2 cans of stew and those are the ones they ate! I think I should be able to replace them before they leave. They'll go shopping on their trip but we all know that I'm a far better shopper than they are so I'm trying to minimize how much money they'll spend while on the road, which is totally hypocritical as I didn't really minimize how much money I spent on my trip, lol!

      Delete
  2. Well, of course you made it rain by washing the truck! It's just like buying a camera...Lakeland got over 12 inches of rain in July according to the weather guy on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, I told him "it's probably going to rain, maybe we shouldn't get a car wash" but he's stubborn. It was a complete waste of money, IMO, but again I haven't taken my own vehicle to be washed in over a year. 12 inches, yippee! I have no idea what we got here, but probably less than you.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!