My official 2017 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens). This week, I stocked up on some lunch meat since it's on "back to school" sale and on chicken breasts since the price was so good. So my freezer is full again :)
I was able to keep the overall OOP lower by using a prepaid gift card at Save A Lot. It had already been deducted from my budget last year so technically no OOP for that shop this year :)
This was my last shopping trip of the month and I ended up under budget by $128.08 but that's not really a great cause for celebration because Greg and our son were gone for 2 weeks so I should have spent WAY less AND we still managed to spend $235.52 on eating out/ordering in expenses (and the month isn't over yet!), which do NOT include any of Greg and Youngest Son's meals during their trip. So this month didn't go as well as it should have, overall. But hey, I still have a full freezer so it's not like it was "wasted" either!
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100
Total OOP: $61.95
Rebates expected: $0
Total spent after rebates: $61.95
Money left in budget: $38.05
Money left in budget for the month ($100 = 5 weeks @ $100): $128.08
Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Breads: $5.24 OOP
- Arrgh, I have got to stop buying hamburger buns! I always think we're out of them and then I get home and I find a package of it in the fridge! I've stopped freezing them because they just fall apart from I defrost them.
- 1 package multigrain + flax flatbread (Aldi) @ $2.29
- 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.83
- 1 package hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.83
- 1 package whole wheat buns (Aldi) @ $1.29
- The price of cereal has gone up at Aldi. I bought the same box for 20 cents cheaper back in May.
- 1 box of crispy oats (Aldi) @ $1.69
Dairy: $3.25 OOP
- I usually don't buy my milk at Aldi so I don't know how long it's been priced at $3.25 but the sign on the door said $3.09 so I'm annoyed.
- 1 gallon 2% milk (Aldi) @ $3.25
- 2 boxes mac'n cheese (Aldi) @ $0.33 each = $0.66
- 1 container cheese tortellini (Aldi) @ $1.49
- I thought the cherries from Publix would be worth paying $1.99/lb but I was very disappointed in them (watery, kind of bitter) even though I ended up eating the 2 lbs in 24 hours!
- The spinach still rang at $1.49 at Aldi, although the sign on the door still says "$1.79" so I guess that makes up for the milk. Still annoyed though.
- 2.33 lbs cherries (Publix), on sale $1.99/lb = $4.64
- 0.36 lb yellow onion (Save A Lot), @ $0.99/lb = $0.36 but "free" since I paid with a prepaid card bought last year.
- 2.83 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), @ $0.99/lb = $2.83 but "free" since I paid with a prepaid card bought last year.
- 3 lbs navel oranges (Aldi), on sale @ $1.79
- 3 Romaine hearts (Aldi) @ $2.29
- 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.49
- 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
- 1.88 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $0.83
- 4 ears sweet corn (Aldi), on sale @ $1.19
- 4 pints blueberries (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29 each = $5.16
- 3 lbs strawberries (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29 each = $3.87
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.59
- There were only 3 packages left of chicken at $0.88/lb so I bought all of them hoping that I would have room in the freezer, and I did. But between that, the lunch meat (which I also froze), the tuna steaks and the popcorn chicken, there isn't anymore room so it's a good thing that I didn't buy any more!
- 14.26 lbs split chicken breasts (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.88/lb = $12.54 but "free" since I paid with a prepaid card bought last year.
- 1 dozen large eggs (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
- 1 bag popcorn chicken (Aldi) @ $3.99
- 12 oz Ahi tuna steaks (Aldi) @ $4.99
- 2 lbs Black Forest ham (Aldi), on sale @ $2.99 each = $5.98
- 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi), on sale @ $2.99
- 1.05 lbs salmon (Aldi), @ $7.99/lb = $8.39
Snacks: $2.28 OOP
- I assumed that we didn't have any Swiss rolls at home so I bought a package for Greg as a treat. However, we still had a box. I just hadn't checked. We started craving cake while watching "The Great British Baking Show" last night so we tore into the box, hahaha. Not gourmet or even good (although Greg loves those) but it helped with the craving.
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.39
- 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
So far this year, I have spent:
January - $292.05
February - $248.17
March - $196.87
April - $417.07
May - $319.07
June - $292.90
July - $371.92
July - $371.92
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)