Monday, July 10, 2017

Semi Domestic Monday ~ 7/10/17



TO DO LIST:
  • Plan my food intake for the day DONE
  • Exercise DONE
  • Record today's food intake into MFP DONE
  • Do the dishes DONE
  • Do the laundry DONE
  • Hang the laundry to dry DONE
  • Fold the laundry
  • Put the laundry away
  • Make banana chocolate chip muffins
  • Explore Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services webpage and get started on process 
  • Create Greg's online Social Security Account (with him) and update my documents
  • Continue checking Target's Redcard account to see if they credited my refund. Then schedule payment (due 8/2) 
  • Call mortgage company to make sure the direct deposit was cancelled DONE
  • Post trip pictures on French blog
  • Finish backing up all pictures to my external drive (when Greg and our son are on their camping trip)
  • Figure out where I was in the process of backing up my external drive!
  • Make hummingbird nectar
  • Transplant all seedlings from berm and patio to the empty garden beds
  • Decide what to plant in the garden this fall
  • Clean upstairs litterbox DONE
  • Mend some items from the mending basket
  • Take Youngest Son driving DONE
  • Vacuum fridge's coils
  • Explore Will and Power of Attorney forms on LegalZoom and discuss with Greg
  • Find a good picture of our cats and order bag from Shutterfly for Daughter with freebie code
  • Inventory what batteries we need for hurricane season
  • Finish the 2014 Powerpoint document for Daughter
  • Add clip art to all 2012, 2013 and 2014 pages that I created and print them
  • Declutter this past year's school files and prep new files for this coming year
  • Check if there is any money in Daughter's school lunch account and if so, request that it'd be transferred to Youngest Son's
  • Tape the Strength Training videos and put on dedicated SD card
  • Put bleach in furnace drain line for maintenance
  • Clean the inside of the dishwasher
  • Write letter to Target CEO
  • Make dinner menu for next week DONE
  • Freeze strawberries
  • Freeze half the milk
  • Work on Shopping List DONE
  • Declutter the old coffee table IN PROGRESS

SUCCESSES AND FAILURES
  • Well my alarm rang at 6:30 a.m. and I was planning on getting up but I felt very tired. And then I laid there for a bit, cuddling with my kittens, when it occurred to me that Greg had new team members starting today so he was taking them out to lunch... which meant that I didn't have to pack him a lunch... which meant that I really didn't have to get up at all!  So I went back to sleep :)

  • Explorer came to wake me up at 9 a.m. but he also succumbed to the extreme comfort of my mattress and my pillows, and ended up falling back asleep next to me as I help his wittle paws in my hand.  Ah, happiness!

  • A loud knock woke up up, this time for good, at 10 a.m. It was Fedex, that left the box containing my new base platform that I ordered from Amazon at my front door. It's significantly smaller than the other one and I just checked the box and it says "FULL" so yay!

  • So Greg is being fed by his company for free today. Hooray for free food!  Not only that but he warned me that they might go to a restaurant that doesn't take Amex, in which case he wouldn't be able to pay with his corporate card and would charge it to one of our personal cards and expense it. So I told him to charge it to Discover so we can at least earn the 5% in bonus Rewards!  I hope he remembers.  Update: well, the restaurant ended up taking Amex after all. Poop.

  • It's not supposed to rain today although it poured last night. Part of me thinks I should be able to hang the laundry outside today but the lazy part of me is hoping it'll be super humid outside, thus requiring me to use the dryer, lol. Well, it's 11 a.m. and I haven't started the laundry yet (I got up at 10 a.m.!) so I'd better get to it. While I'm going upstairs, I'll put my new bed platform together...

  • I have a bed, I have a bed! It was indeed the right size, $20 cheaper than what Target had charged me for a full size, and it was easier to set up than the other one.  There is plenty of storage space underneath if I need it (although, that also means that I'll need to sweep/vacuum under there!) and it's way easier to get up in the mornings than rising from the floor!  The real test will come tonight, we'll see if it enhances or distracts from the comfort of the mattress. Hopefully it won't change anything in that regards. It's hard to imagine my mattress being any more comfortable.


  • I decided to wash my bedding while I was at it. I'm doing 1 super load of laundry and 1 large load, both in cold/cold. I ventured outside and no joke, it IS humid so even though I sorted the loads according to what I thought I'd dry outside and what I knew I'd put in the dryer (bath towels, Greg's shirts), I might end up using the dryer for everything. I'll see if it's any less humid in the afternoon.

  • I reused a bread bag to clean the upstairs litterbox.  I noticed that Youngest Son had put an empty jug of litter in the recycling so I fished it out to reuse it to hold rain water.

  • It was almost noon and I was hungry but not quite ready for lunch so I had a bowl of generic Cheerios with some strawberries and half a cup of whole milk (I'm treating myself today to celebrate the arrival of my bed!).  I used some of the strawberries from the container that was leaking strawberry juice, and it was just due to one strawberry being moldy so I composted that one and the others look fine. I may still freeze them. Since I use them in shakes that I make in the blender, it shouldn't matter whether they're frozen or fresh.

  • Lowe's is offering 10% off site-wide for MyLowe's members (new and existing, not cumulative with the military discount), although there are exclusions. I checked their rain barrels since we want to get another one but I didn't like my choices so I didn't buy anything.

  • I earned a couple of Swagbucks (they're having a Collector's Bills promo this week, I got the 4 SB bill when doing a Search) and earned the daily Microsoft Rewards credits (and scored 7/7 on the Game of Thrones quiz, of course!).  So I had enough credits to redeem them for a $5 Amazon gift card, which brings me to $65 earned in Amazon gift cards for the year, woohoo! Just in time for Amazon Prime Day that starts tonight at 9 p.m.
  • Since my daughter is coming home today, I turned the AC back down to 73F in the kitchen so her room gets a tiny bit cooler by the time she comes home.

  • With a teen in the house, you can never have too much cereal, so I printed more Kellogg's coupons that had come in the e-newsletter that they send me every week.

  • Well, the guilt got the better of me and I decided that it wasn't that humid and hung the super load of laundry outside.

  • I also refilled the two empty cat litter jugs with rainwater (my rain barrel is full again!) and set them aside.

  • I collected the dead branches from when I had clipped the hedge last week and put them in the yard waste bin for collection tomorrow.

  • Then I identified a large pot that already has soil in it and is sitting unused. I'll be planting the seeds from the quarter of papaya that I'm planning on having for lunch today.  I hope they germinate!

  • I was hot so I asked Youngest Son if he wanted to come with me to RaceTrac to get Sodapalooza refills and he said yes and also accepted my suggestion that he drive there. We had to take the Expedition (automatic) since my daughter has the  Focus (stick shift) and since he's comfortable driving the SUV, I had time take the busier road there and back. He did very well. I offered to take him driving on other roads this afternoon but he declined. He thinks that he needs more practice with the stick shift than the automatic since he had all his driving lessons at school on an automatic. He's right but also he just needs more driving practice period, including on highways. I need to have him drive on the turnpike, practice merging, and also take him on the far busier toll roads like the East-West Expressway. I'm starting to sweat as I think about it, I don't like driving on those myself these days because of all the speeders and terrible drivers, but he needs to learn, right?  Ugh. I don't know when we'll do that.

  • At RaceTrac we got our free Sodapalooza refills and I also redeemed a Sodapalooza coupon for a free Monterey Chicken roll for his lunch.

  • Back home, I threw the 2nd load of laundry in the dryer and went outside to inspect my garden. I pulled a few weeds, mostly Virginia creeper that was growing in the sadly neglected front of the house. I really need to rethink the front of the house and trim the Japanese boxwood, pull weeds, rehome ferns, etc.
The basil seedlings growing in the mulch are getting taller!

And the sweet potato vines are spreading

Some of the pole beans that I planted last week have germinated!

I'm not sure if the stink bugs are what caused several serrano peppers to fall to the ground or if it was due to the very heavy rain from last night, but I left them in the bin and actually pushed them into the ground... I'll probably get more serrano pepper plants from them.

Some of my pineapples are getting quite large...

The pineapple empire seems to be pretty healthy!

My milkweeds look about done... I found seven of those Monarch caterpillars on them, munching away!  Yay!

Speaking of being done... my pretty bright pink verbena?!  Not anymore :(  The previous plants had lasted 3 consecutive springs and summers but these only last me a few months...

The "wild" bleeding heart vine has new blossoms. I call it "wild" because it appeared one day out of nowhere!

These ferns also appeared out of nowhere in the bins where I tried to grow strawberries on the side of the house. They were covered with screen material so I think the fern spores were in the peat moss.

The aloe plant that I had divided and repotted several months ago had a couple new babies!  Arrgh. At least, it grows without me doing anything at all!
  • I also need to re-mulch the whole berm. The heavy rains have washed away a lot of the mulch so it's much easier for weeds to grow on it, unfortunately.  That needs to be done in the morning when it's still in the shade, so I really need to make myself get up early and get started on it right away...
And the weeds that I had pulled last week have come back already!
  • My daughter texted that she was on her way while I was outside. I had left my phone on the couch and an alarm had been ringing to tell me to switch the laundry, apparently for quite some time.  The kittens are always intrigued by my phone when an alarm rings and it's unattended and sure enough, Princess had dragged my phone off the couch onto the ground and was crouching over it, probably saying "hello? hello?" LOL. Maybe I should enter her little paw print in my Touch ID?
Not Princess (photo from Yahoo! Pictures)
  • I made my usual lunch. Today I will have my strawberry shake later on.

  • I planted the papaya seeds in the container outside.  As I was wondering if I planted them deep enough, it occurred to me that I had a book that probably had all the information that I needed and indeed, it does... wow, growing a papaya tree that produces fruit is a little more complicated than I thought. I don't know what sex my papaya was. What if I grow a male tree that produces good-for-nothing fruit?!  That would be so disappointing. Of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself as I have killed the plum trees, the nectarine trees are barely surviving, I've had only 1 lemon in the 10 years that I've had a "tree" and my orange tree will be lucky to produce 2 oranges this year... still I really would love to grow my own papaya!



  • Last night the latest episode of "Prime Suspect: Tennison" aired on PBS so I'm going to watch it on the PBS app of the Roku while eating my lunch. The only thing is that I have Pandora playing the Aaron Copland station right now and I love every piece of music that they're playing today so there's never a good moment to stop it and switch to PBS, lol.  Maybe I'll catch up on Feedly first... I'm cuddling with...
My Salad? Where's Princess?!

Aww, she's pouting because I used her pillows as a lunch table today!

  • So I ate my lunch and then started watching "Prime Suspect: Tennison". After 14 minutes, it occurred to me that I could be biking while watching it, killing two birds with one stone!  So I moved to my recumbent bike.


  • I ended up biking for 66 minutes (13.25 miles!).

  • Then I collected the laundry from the patio. It was hot, so I decided to drive to RaceTrac to get another round of Sodapalooza refills for Youngest Son and I.  He walked to the park to get his swinging done.

  • Back home, I checked my mortgage account online and saw that they had officially marked it as paid off. Woohoo! I also called them to make sure that they had cancelled the automatic debit.  They are mailing me a "satisfaction of mortgage" letter in the mail tomorrow so I can show this to the tax collector's office and the insurance company for them to bill me directly and within 20 days, I should get a check for the balance of my escrow.

  • I went through several categories of Amazon Prime Deals to see if there was anything worth buying and... pretty much no, for me. I'm "watching" a few deals to see what the discount will be but there's nothing right now that I can see that I couldn't live without.  I didn't see any 4K monitors for Greg either...

  • For dinner, I made Tortellini Corn Chowder from the Betty Crocker's Diabetic Recipes cookbook that I had bought used on Amazon (by the way, it definitely not as stinky as it used to be at all now!). It was really good!

  • I did the dishes while dinner cooked, woohoo! 

  • Greg said he went through the worst storm that he's ever experienced in Florida on his way home, and it got really dark here and sprinkled a little, but it didn't rain.

  • I emailed my mom and my brother from Marseille to make sure they're both OK. My mom was away at a convention this past weekend and was worried about the traffic because the Tour de France was going to be going through near where she was, and I'd love to hear how my brother's week at his new mountain home went.  I hope they reply overnight :)

  • At 9 p.m.  I checked the discount on the "Complete Series of King of Queens" on DVD that was one of the deals that I'm watching... I could get it for just $19 after applying the $5 gift card I earned this morning so I did. I like getting my favorite series on DVD so if one day they're not on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I can still watch them on DVD.  I'll earn 5% back in Amazon Rewards too!

FREEBIES
  • Greg is being fed at work today
  • I earned a $5 Amazon gift card from Microsoft Rewards
  • 4 Sodapalooza refills for Greg
  • 2 Sodapalooza refills for Youngest Son and 2 for myself
  • A Monterey Chicken roll from RaceTrac with Sodapalooza coupon redemption
Are you going to be shopping the Amazon Prime Day deals?

9 comments:

  1. I looked at a few of the deals and didn't see anything we needed, so we didn't buy any Prime deals, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always build it up so much that we all expect wonderful deals and then it's either crap, or they calculate their savings % off the full price item, not the latest price that they were offering. For instance, I had checked out the 55-inch TV with Amazon Fire or whatever it's called that they are/were discounting for Prime Day this past weekend and the price was already in the $350-$400 range, not the $700 price they're basing their "Prime Day discount" off. So really, their new Prime Day discount is very tiny, not the $200+ dollars they're claiming you'd be saving if you bought it today.

      I did want the King of Queens series, which had been on my wishlist forever. I've been looking at thrift stores, but ours rarely have TV shows for sale, I think people mostly sell them on eBay or Amazon or maybe at garage sales. And then today I ordered a $25 Amazon gift card so I could get the $5 credit. I'll put the gift card in someone's stocking at Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Glad your bed base arrived and you were able to put it together. You have to tell us how the first night of sleep on your new bed was and if it was as comfortable as before or better. The bed looked nice in the picture and the bit of bedroom shown looked very pretty. It has a "country" look that I love.

    I can't get over your sweet potato vine and the pineapple plantation! Hope your papaya seeds germinate and you have a nice mixture of trees with fresh papaya for the picking! Lunchtime Bless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'll talk about my first night in my new bed in tonight's post, fear not!

      I can't get over those sweet potato vines either, who would have thought they were so invasive?! There is one that's growing a good 30 ft away from the nearest one and I have no idea how it got there! But anything that will give me food to eat is fine. On that note, those potatoes I harvested last Fall? I still haven't used them, they're still curing on my countertop, lol. I hope you're having a good day at work and that your cheek isn't as swollen anymore. I'm off to cook dinner!

      Delete
  3. Have you ever gone on the website Mr. Food? I get a diabetic email from them almost everyday with all kinds of easy receipes. They also have regular receipes too and I get that email also. Most of them are very easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about it and just tried to check it out but it wants you to sign up with your email without even letting you look at the site first and I don't like those strong arm tactics! Am I missing something, Mia? Is there a way to look at the site without signing up for the emails?

      Delete
  4. I was able to look at it first, but I have been getting their emails for a couple of years now, so they may have changed it. They send an email with about 10 receipes and I just look at those. I never really go on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm wondering if we should be doing more with our papaya tree to make sure it grows well and produces good fruit! I'll have to check when my husband fertilized it last...

    Your pineapples look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just harvested a whole bunch of them and they're delicious too!

      I probably need to re-read those pages about the care of papaya trees and do something with the seedlings that I have right now...

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!