My official 2017 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens)... through August and then it'll drop to $75.00/wk for 3 people (2 adults, 1 teen) as my daughter will have moved out.
This week I went a little over because Greg was out of whiskey and I always buy several bottles at a time in order to qualify for the 10% off discount. I also stocked up on whole wheat pasta, salad dressing and protein bars for Greg. However, I was able to use my CVS gift card to mitigate the overall costs a bit.
I'm not worried about the overage
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100
Total OOP: $117.45
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $117.45
Money left in budget: MINUS $17.45
Money left in budget for the month ($100 = 4 weeks @ $100): $282.55
Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Beverages: $57.74 OOP
- I get 10% off at Winn Dixie if I buy (4) 750 ml bottles so I always buy them 4 at a time. I didn't think to redeem my Plenti points because I thought I needed to have 2,000 points to be able to redeem them, but it was 200 points. Arrgh.
- 4 bottles Kentucky Gentleman whiskey (Winn Dixie) on sale @ $14.99 each, minus 10% discount, plus tax: $57.74 (and I earned 27 Plenti points).
Breads: $4.17 OOP
- The buns were all marked down at Aldi. The whole wheat buns because the sell-by date was 8/5 probably, even though the sign said it was a "new low price" but the Kaiser rolls were discounted even more and the sell-by date isn't close at all...
- The Red Lobster biscuit mix is a seasonal item and my daughter loves those so I got her a box to take to college.
- 1 8-ct package Kaiser buns (Aldi), discounted to $0.50
- 2 8-ct packages whole wheat hamburger buns (Aldi), discounted to $0.65 each = $1.30
- 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.83
- 1 box Red Lobster biscuit mix (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 1 container Pillsbury Grands! biscuits (Publix) @ $2.19, minus freebie coupon from mailer = FREE
- None needed
Dairy: $4.30 OOP
- My family is still not consuming as much milk as it used to so I bought 2% milk instead of getting whole milk that I would water. I don't like wasting milk!
- 1 gallon 2% milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.99 but FREE to me since I paid with a CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program
- 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.49
- 1 package blue cheese crumbles (Aldi) @ $1.49
- 4 cups Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.33 each = $1.32
- Aldi was still out of grape jelly, grrr. Luckily, I had ECBs that expired later on this week and CVS had the jelly on sale so I grabbed 2 jars.
- I didn't have any coupons to go with the BOGO sale on the pasta, but I still thought it was a good deal, especially since Aldi doesn't sell whole wheat pasta so I stocked up.
- My thyme plant is almost dead. I grabbed a small bag of Badia thyme to tide me over, completely forgetting that I had meant to buy some in bulk at Bulk Nation next week, if they have any available... oh well.
- 6 boxes Mueller's whole wheat pasta (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $1.69 = $5.07
- 1 box Zatarain Caribbean rice (Publix) @ $1.49
- 1 lb brown rice (Publix) @ $1.00
- 1 small bag Badia thyme (Publix) @ $0.85 and got $0.25 back from Ibotta = $0.60
- 2 jars Welch's grape jelly (CVS), on sale @ $1.99 each but redeemed ECBs so FREE to me
- 1 bottle ketchup (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 2 bottles light balsamic vinaigrette dressing (Aldi) @ $1.29 each = $2.58
- I decided to count the canned baked beans and the black beans as produce. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have counted the thyme as produce too? Arrgh, I need to figure out what to do on a consistent basis with items like these :)
- I had planned on buying cucumbers to make more homemade zesty refrigerator pickles, but the cuke price jumped from $0.49 last week to $0.99 this week for just one cucumber! So I left it there.
- Produce was quite expensive at the store. I haven't made a menu plan so I grabbed zucchini and mushrooms blindly and now I need to figure out how to use it!
- I was very disappointed that Aldi didn't have the cherries that were supposed to be on sale this week :(
- 2 lbs grapes (Aldi) on sale at $0.89/lb = $1.78
- 1 can organic black beans (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 1 bag zucchini (Aldi) @ $1.69
- 1.83 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $0.81
- 8 oz white mushrooms (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89
- 4 lbs strawberries (Aldi) @ $1.99/lb = $7.96
- 1 can baked beans (Aldi) @ $1.39
- 2 bags spinach (Aldi) @ $1.49 each = $2.98
- 3 cans tuna (Aldi) @ $0.65 each = $1.95
- 8-ct box corn dogs (Aldi) @ $2.19
- 1 bag popcorn chicken (Aldi) @ $3.99
- 1 dozen eggs (Aldi) @ $0.69
Snacks: $12.44 OOP
- The Jif To Go cups were a treat for my daughter to take to college. Since she doesn't have a meal plan, I figured she could take them in her lunchbox.
- 1 box chocolate chip peanut butter cookies (CVS), on sale @ $2.49 and I redeemed $2.02 in ECBs and then paid with a CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program so it was all FREE to me.
- 8-ct Jif to Go (Publix) @ $2.49
- 4 boxes protein bars (Aldi) @ $2.19 each = $8.76
- 1 box reduced-fat thin wheat crackers (Aldi) @ $1.19
So far this year, I have spent:
January - $292.05
February - $248.17
March - $196.87
April - $417.07
May - $319.07
June - $292.90
July - $371.92
August so far... $117.45
July - $371.92
August so far... $117.45
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)